“An exellent dining experience”
Review of El Molino Blanco

El Molino Blanco
Good for: Kids, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: For more than 500 years one of the staple foods of the Canary Islands has been a milled flour known as gofio, ground in windmills that at one time peppered the islands. Few working mills now remain. For Don Felipe, the man who first established the restaurant in the 1990s, the windmill of El Molino Blanco represented the traditions of his homeland. Today it reminds us of a fundamental food still prevalent in the Canary Islands and represents our commitment to preserving the best of Canarian traditional cuisine combined with the finest ingredients and years of culinary know-how to provide a unique and unforgettable dining experience. Choose from our inside dining room set within a traditional covered courtyard adorned with curios from Tenerife's rural heritage intertwined with rich foliage, or on our garden terrace with its scented flowers and lush tropical plantings. If it's a special occasion, why not book our intimate gazebo table set within the garden which gives you additional privacy in a rustically romantic setting. From the moment you set foot in El Molino Blanco we want to ensure you enjoy the very best food, service and entertainment so that you go home from your Tenerife holiday with precious memories to last a lifetime, or at least until you return to share your time with us again. "Through excellence in food, service, ambience and entertainment, to provide a feast for all the senses and a memorable dining experience customers will want to repeat"
UK
“An exellent dining experience”
Reviewed June 30, 2013

I dined at El Molino Blanco for nine of the eleven evenings I spent recently in Tenerife (the two 'missing' ones were caused by the business for which I was on the island in the first place). Why always the same one? Because, once an ideal situation is experienced, why would one wish to look elsewhere?

Quite possibly because I dined alone and had become an (albeit temporary) regular, the owner, Russel (only one 'l', apparently), spent some time chatting to me. He was quite open about the fact that he was looking for feedback and critiques, having taken over the restaurant recently (last September, I believe) and needed to know just what could be improved. I found this difficult to credit since I thought that just about everything was pretty-near perfect as it was. He told me about this site (and this will be the first time I've done anything like this) and that there were some adverse comments on it that he found difficult to understand since there'd been no complaints at the time. One of the things that quite clearly 'bugged' him was comments from those who'd dined there before he took over, basically complaining that there were no longer free meals and/or drinks. He told me that this had been a regular occurrence because the food had been quite poor and that the first things he'd done were to upgrade the kitchen, change the chefs and buy the best raw materials he could. I can certainly vouch for the latter - the quality of the steaks I ate was superb (and no, I'm not unaccustomed to eating well. I've stayed at, and eaten in, some rather decent hotels and restaurants - The Royal Garden in Kensington [which also had a violinist at your table]; I don't recall The Skean Dhu in Aberdeen as being too shabby; and dining in Dubai and Abu Dhabi could be absolutely superb. I also ate once in a 'Chinese' Chinese restaurant in Kuala Belait in Brunei, but that was strictly for the experience! Overall, a quarter century of travelling has shown me just how good food can be).

Anyway, after being told about some apparent dissatisfaction, I paid more attention than I otherwise would to the other customers. From what I observed, the staff were friendly, helpful and efficient to everyone and not just to me. I couldn't help but notice that all plates were empty when taken from the tables which couldn't be merely a case of, "at this price, I'm leaving nothing!" since, if food is inedible, cost is not an issue. The surroundings are nothing less than delightful and there's live music every evening (and I mean 'music', not karaoke or muzak) to which the clientele clearly enjoy dancing (although I thought a would-be Gypsy Queen's display alongside the Hungarian violinist somewhat bizzare!). Many customers (but especially Russian ones, from what I saw) enjoy taking a tour around the establishment with their cameras. There was always laughter to be heard, and I remember talking to three thirty-something UK ladies as they departed, each clutching their rose (every lady is presented with one by the singer) who obviously thought they'd just spent one of the most enjoyable nights of their lives.

So. Pros: just about everything. Cons: (and this is quibbling) the 'Magret of Duck' wasn't cooked in the manner that I'd have done it (but I could have always have asked first) - it was so bad, in fact, that, after removing the fat, I was able only to eat all the meat (and that was the only time that there was anything on my plate when it was taken away). Because my experience was compressed into a short span, I couldn't but notice that the vegetables were the same every night. However, they were certainly fresh and freshly prepared (and still a little 'al dente' in fact). As Russel explained to me, vegetables with meals aren't a regular item in the Canaries and what they are depends on what is available. Another minor quibble would be that there was little description of each dish apart from its name (but the staff could always tell me what to expect). I mentioned this and was informed that a new menu is being prepared, with minor additions and subtractions, and that there would be descriptions of the dishes.

Recommendations? I can say, quite honestly, that I enjoyed everything I had (including that duck!). Amongst many main courses, the steak is superb - but so are the various fish dishes!; desserts? - the pancake is delicious (filled with a cranberry and cream purée) and I had the strawberries twice (but with a dash of Cointreau and without the green peppers, which didn't seem to trouble the staff at all). My main recommendation would be to ignore the adverse criticisms on this site and sample the place for yourselves. I never went in the afternoon, but I've checked the website and they're open from one pm and there's a 20% discount until five pm (it says there). So, if you're unsure, I would suggest trying it out one afternoon near the beginning of your trip. If you're even a little like me, you'll want to visit it more than once, rather than go on your final evening 'as a treat' and then wish you'd gone more than once. From what I saw, booking in advance would definitely seem to be a good idea - I doubt that anyone was ever turned away but those who'd booked obviously had a preference to be close to the stage and dance floor. Price? Well, you get what you pay for, and all that - and I've certainly paid more for very much less (and I'm not known to be uncomplaining if I feel the situation merits it) but I never felt that the price was exorbitant. Everything about EL Molino Blanco suggests it's aimed at adults (it's definitely not any sort of McDonalds!) but all the children I saw there (and there were several) seemed to be content (and blessedly quiet!).

Reading back the above, I could be accused of being rather 'gushing' but, after seeing what others had written, I felt someone should endeavour to set straight the record. Was I bribed? If all-round excellence can be considered as bribery, then I was 'bribed' - and there again, I was given a (rather large) Amoretto 'on the house' on my final two visits!

3 Thank Beltane D

• Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
New Jersey
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 2,230 helpful votes
“This place offers it all!”
Reviewed June 29, 2013

This spectacular, lovely place was recommended to us and from now on we will recommend it to others; not a restaurant but an experience. It is romantic and beautifully appointed. You can sit indoors or on a green veranda. The decor is amazing, the atmosphere created by the staff is warm, welcoming, friendly and professional. Natural elegance, attentive service, all that strikes you as a first impression and accompanies you throughout the entire visit in this spectacular restaurant. The menu offers quite a variety including the Canarian specialties. Menus are available in many languages and waiters speak very good English. Every dish seems spectacular, the wine selection is very good including local varieties, mixed drinks are made with highest quality ingredients. Our dessert was prepared at the table-side. The whole atmosphere tactful, romantic, elegant with attention to the detail. Amazing place - how do they do it?

1 Thank podrozniczka60
“Would give it 10* if possible.”
Reviewed June 27, 2013 via mobile

I dined here in April with my family. From the moment we entered we are amazed by the decor and general feel of the restaurant. It's beautiful! There was a warm welcome from the man on the door who showed us to our table. We later found out he is the new man in charge. We sat in the main room near to the entertainment. The artists that performed were all excellent and certainly added to the whole experience. We had a selection of starters to share, of which my favorite was the prawns in garlic, they were fantastic. For a main course my mother and I shared the chateaux briand, and this was absolutely stunning. Cooked to perfection. We saw that they offer to cook desserts at the table and this was very impressive to watch at others tables however we were all too full to consider eating any more. We decided to move to the bar to have an after drink before leaving. The gentlemen that had created us (new boss man) came over to ask us how everything had been, to which I answered 'it was all rubbish!' We proceeded to have a long conversation where I explained that I was only joking and found him to have a good sense of humour and we got on very well. Recommended the place to everyone we met for the rest of our holiday. Will definitely visit again.

• Visited April 2013
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Incredible atmosphere, very memorable :)”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

My boyfriend and I wined and dined here to celebrate his 30th birthday, couldn't have asked for a better evening. The walking band involved the whole restaurant, brilliant entertainment.We both had a 3 course meal, the quality of the food and wine was up there with the fantastic atmosphere and friendly staff. After our meal ,the waiters came out singing happy birthday with a surprise birthday cake. Being residents in tenerife I would highly recommend, ideal for celebrating an occasion or a romantic meal. Not somewhere we could afford to frequent often. Very memorable

• Visited January 2013
1 Thank Holley26
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Most Romantic Restaurant”
Reviewed June 26, 2013

Me and my boyfriend recently came here in june for a romantic date, and oh my god Was it amazing. The setting,the atmosphere,the staff,the food and the entertainment was excellent,and if u are goin for a romantic night with your husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend then i would defo reccommend this place. Very Expensive but the food is absolutely to die for so wel worth it!

1 Thank Cara G