“Great hotel.....not sure what people are complaining about......”

Marylanza Suites & Spa
GreenLeadersGold level
Hockley, United Kingdom
“Great hotel.....not sure what people are complaining about......”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2012

We have just come back from a family holiday staying at e marylanza.....it was fab.
The hotel is clean and tidy, rooms are very spacious, great for families. The pool area is great, a choice of pools, all clean and tidy. Location is not a problem, only a 15 min walk tithe beach.....perfect keeping away from the tacky beach areas !
Yes family resort, but it was not loud and crazy, kids were not running around and there are great kids clubs available.
Would def go back......

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Nicola P

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (685)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

Holiday 11/10/12 – 21/10/12 room Ficus (F212)
Having stayed in the area of Costa Adeje earlier on in the year we were looking forward to being more central. On arrival at the airport the coach transfer was very short only 20 mins approx inc 2 other stops offs at other hotels. This was a much better transfer than previous in terms of time as Las Americas is the first resort to be dropped off at.
On arrival at the hotel we realised how central the hotel is. You can access Los Cristianos in 5 mins via taxi and a couple of mins to centre of las Americas. If you wish to travel to the outskirts of Costa Adeje then again only 10 mins via taxi. Or if you prefer to walk Las Americas is approx 10 mins, Costa Adeje prob 1 hr walk. Los Cristianos around 20 mins walk, no major deal.
The hotel is not located in the heart of shops/bars and therefore gives good access to the town when required but also gives you peace and quiet from the hustle and bustle. The landscape leading to the hotel if fairly flat so no steep hills.
I’d describe the hotel as shaped like a mini football stadium in that rooms located on the outside and inside of the ring shape. 3 swimming pools located on the what would be football pitch and the snack bar on the centre line.
On entering the hotel it is modern in design and is of an open plan. It imediatlly came across as being very clean. We came on a late arrival and checked in just after 21:00hrs. The reception staff were very helpful and friendly. We carried our own bags to our rooms however I’m sure if we asked, someone would have done it for us.
We had not specified a room type therefore didn’t pay anything extra. We spend little time looking at the view from the balcony so the location of room wasn’t important. However our room was in a quiet location and overlooked some land and could see the football stadium at a distance.
On entering the room it was very spacious and modern. It was capable of sleeping 4, I presume designed for a family as there is a main bedroom and then the living room has a chair bed and a single bed. There was also a kitchen. The kitchen was spotless. I wondered why there was a kitchen and after some research I now know the hotel was originally designed as an Apart hotel. No big issue anyway. In fact more of a bonus as we had a cork screw for wine, a fridge, espresso type machine etc. The bathroom was very clean and very spacious. There were 2X sink and also a BD (I’ve never used one)
My only niggle with the bathroom was that I found there to be some very very small ants coming in from somewhere. Not an issue as we made a quick call and staff swiftly executed them all.
Once we had dropped our bags off we quickly made our way to the buffet type restaurant, which was open till 22:00hrs. The room size was good and there was plenty of choice. Even when the restaurant was very busy it could easily cope. Staff were always rushing around collecting plates and replenishing food. In terms of drinks it is all help yourself, so no queues. This includes house wines and Dorada (most common lager in Tenerife). There were also cold drinks such as genuine coke, Fanta etc. There was no limit on the amount you could drink and I never experienced having to queue. There was also a basic wine menu where you could pay extra for a different wine. We did this only once as we felt the choice was slightly limited. There didn’t seem to be a dress code in the restaurant however most people were fairly smart. I wore smart knee length shorts with a shirt/top, which was perfect for the temperature and by no means under dressed.
main restaurant switched to winter opening hours whilst we were there and it closed at 21:30 hrs rather than 22:00. Worth checking before choosing a late flight.
Once we had finished our meal we then ventured to the main bar, located in the reception area. The bar is an open plan. Each evening they have someone doing light entertainment such as singing. The bar has plenty of choice in terms of drinks and you can pay for premium drinks if you desire. You can also ask for as many drinks as you like, all inclusive includes bottled water too. They give 500ml bottles, which was more than ample, we tended to stock pile a few in our fridge. Open until 23:00. There was also 1x television on the wall, which sometimes showed the football in England.
The main bar area can sometimes get a little busy. We noticed this more towards the end of our holiday. There was also an entertainment room behind reception, which is open until 00:00. We only went into it once. The entertainment is definitely catered towards families with young children. We didn’t have any children so it didn’t appeal.
After a couple of evenings sitting in the main bar area it got a little boring if I’m honest as there is no outside bar area of an evening and no atmosphere or separation from everything else going on. You have to put up with guests checking in/out all the time near to the same area. We are a couple in our 30’s and find it important as we like nice bars and socialising with people so this was a disappointment. This is something, which could be improved and I agree with previous reviews in relation to this. There appeared to be a huge function type room behind the bar and it was never used. Maybe this could be utilised as a theme bar or similar in the future. The hotel has tried to improve things by having a characture artist and also a different stall in the reception area each night. The only downside was us staying 10 nights saw a lot of repetition.
There is also free WIFI in the bar area.
Several days into the holiday we discovered the taster menu restaurant, which you can visit once during your stay and is located in the reception area. This can be booked by speaking to the staff in the main restaurant. I recommend that you book it well in advance as it doesn’t cater for many people. The menu is set and can be viewed at the entrance of the restaurant. The type of food is fine dining. To be honest its not my type of food as it didn’t really fill me up. After eating there I went to the main restaurant afterwards. I’m sure some people liked it though. My favourite course was the desert, which was so so tasty. From speaking to other people at the hotel they didn’t really give an opinion and say it was good nor bad, but nothing special. This again could be something which the hotel could capitalise on by maybe changing the food type somewhat maybe into something like Tappas for example. It felt like an adult friendly restaurant, opposed to family orientated. This could be a good point if it was exploited as it may balance even out the family orientation towards couples/adults. Just my opinion.

Onto the pool area and you find that there are lots of sun beds. Staff at the hotel remove any towels before a certain time of day to prevent people reserving sun loungers. Good thinking staff 
The pools consisted of a large one near to the centre and 2x smaller ones. 1 of the small pools was suited to very young children. The other was slightly deeper, which children used mainly. All pools were partially salted. From my experience the pools were clean and nice to have a dip in. If you like to swim it can be a little awkward due to the number of children so I suggest swimming in the morning and late afternoon when it is a little quieter. The pool area is very good for young families as it is enclosed and I’d say very good for parents to keep a watchful eye on their children. I’d it caters more for families than couples due to the number of children. My only criticism would be the fact that children can bring what ever inflatable toy they want into the pools. It got to a point where kids were bringing small boats into the water, which is a bit much considering the pools were not huge. This is something, which I feel needs restricting slightly by hotel management.
There was free wifi access in the pool area.
Daytime entertainment included aqua aerobics, pool, table tennis and a form of water polo in one of the small pools, which is provided by ........ who works very hard
Food at pool – The food is being constantly replaced throughout the day. If you put your mind to it you can vary your meal that you eat, however the pizza is rather nice and it tempted me nearly every day yum yum. The choice to eat can be as healthy as you make it from burgers to bolognaise (depending on the day). There is always a choice of sea food too. In my opinion we found it more than adequate for during the day time. In terms of drinks again there is a self service area, which is very good and never had to queue, there were even slush puppy drinks too. The food area also operates a system using disposable cups & plates, which in my opinion works very well as it prevents lots of food left lying around all the time. Guests are expected to take pots to bins several paces away. I didn’t mind at all as the system worked well.
My only niggle with the pool bar was that a Thursday appeared to be a very very very busy day for large numbers of guests arriving and the snack bar could not cope with the demand. This was the only day I queued and a burger I bit into was not cooked properly. This only happened the once and the rest of the time food was cooked perfectly. I didn’t complain to the staff as there was plenty of other food and mistakes can happen, I just felt its something which could be tweaked slightly to support staff on busy days. Pool bar closes at 18:00.
There is also a self service freezer, which has pots of sorbet and ice cream. I ate loads of these during my stay they were delicious, again no restrictions on quantity.

We used the spar once during our stay. You do have to pay for it. It is very very good indeed and if your into this type of experience then look no further. I had a massage and used the spar facility. The massage was very good. I chose a relaxing one, which was plenty firm enough. I wouldn’t recommend a massage if you have any long term back or shoulder injury though as it may antagonise it further. The spar facility is very modern and is a must. I wont spoil the surprise. I didn’t use the gym so can’t comment. My partner had a facial and was really impressed with it.

Squash – Currently there is still not squash facility as one of the courts has been permanently converted into a Thomson kids area and the other is still being repaired. This is a good option for families though as I think it may be a cresch or similar. It made no odds to us though as we had no intention of playing squash. Hotel management have previously stated squash would be repaired soon from reading other reviews.
Towels – These can be hired from reception. The system works by paying a deposit and then each time you want a clean one you pay 1 Euro.
Shop – There is a shop at reception which is a mini market and sells things like sun cream, alcohol, and food. You can also get a paper.
Late Check out – The hotel was always full during our stay so late checkout wasn’t an option, however there is a full changing area near to the pool along with showers and sinks, which solved the problem as you could leave you suitcase in a locked room near to reception.
Booking restaurants – We like to eat out whilst on holiday for half of our stay. Some may think we are mad but hey. Anyway we spoke with the reception manager called Nicole, who told us of many nice restaurants and she would always book them for us. On one occasion she even wrote us a small letter when she was having difficulty booking one of them. Nicole was a credit to the hotel as too were the other reception staff as they were always very helpful and ever to friendly. I’d say that all staff at the hotel worked very hard its just that the reception staff are usually the ones you speak to on a day to day basis for one reason or another. When it was my partners birthday Nicole even delivered a bottle of red wine to our room whilst we were out, which was a very nice gesture.

Iron - The hotel will loan you an iron without a board for 5 Euros, however the reception have a rental book and I paid 15 euros for the hire of an iron and board (7 days). The rental company dropped/collected the iron from the hotel for me. There was also a 10 euro deposit. I had no issues with the service at all and if you’re like me and like nice crease free clothes then it’s worth every penny.
I would definitely stay at the hotel again as we really enjoyed our stay. Anything I mention as a negative in my review were all niggles and simply things that could be improved. Anywhere you stay you are always going to find something that could be improved. I’d like to thank the hotel for giving us such a nice holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms at the far end nearest to the footbal stadium are very quiet.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank timbooo
england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

this hotel was a loveley breath of fresh air, all the facilities of an apartment with the all inclusive also so you can not fail,
loveley clean bathrooms and bedrooms no ques to get drinks as i noticed food was really good my 2 year old could play safely in the room no worries.
the pool did look bit busy somedays but that is not my thing anyway.
great location just outside the main resort but 5 minutes walk each way for either resort plenty of bars about and nice restaurants as it is always good to escape any hotel for a nght here and there.

Room Tip: we stayed of the road side and loved it
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank burn007
Oswestry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

On arrival & check-in, excellent service no complaints at all - loved the welcome drink a very nice touch.
Room very nice & clean, although slightly dated & tired. As mother & daughter we asked for a twin room, but the beds were very close & not much room for manouvre - we love each other but we also like a bit of space when sleeping!!!
Pool area very nice & kept clean. A struggle at times to get a sunbed as all were 'booked' by towels, but no-one in sight......Even though we were informed by our rep that this wasn't allowed, it didn't appear to be re-inforced.
Food fantastic, lovely choice, not too much but good quality of food available. Staff were exceptional, could not fault them in any way.
We agree with the comments about the children - there were alot of them & very noisy at times.
Overall a lovely holiday, but shocked at the premium rating from Thomson in comparison to previous holidays with a similar rating.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank SamandDebbie
MarylanzaSuites, Director General at Marylanza Suites & Spa, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
I am surprised about the comment on the sunbeds for I am kind of obsessed about the reinforcement of the no-reservation policy and I keep checking with the pool attendants about it. Even though the Platinum/Premium category has nothing to do with the fact of there being families, again the child-factor seems to have affected the impression on the general facilities.
Tiverton, Devon
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 12, 2012

We booked a suite, which was much bigger than anticipated and quite comfortable. Take a kettle - they don't supply one. Also beware the room cleaning service only operates on certain days, so you have to ask for towels if you need them changing (we waited over an hour having made three calls to reception!).

For the time of year we hadn't expected quite so many children, who nonetheless were well behaved but it could be noisy in the dining room with babies and young children crying or generally acting up.

We were surprised it is a Thomson Platinum hotel, which we do not think it justifies as it is really only a basic 4 Star establishment. The Spa was great, although rather too hot for our liking, but nonetheless the circuit was enjoyable and the facility spotless.

The Kentia Restuarant was under utlised - we dined alone on a Tuesday evening at 8.00 p.m.! The food in this restaurant was superb, sad no one else booked for the experience. The main dining room food was excellent, varied and plentiful - although the hot dishes could have been kept a little warmer.

Overall our holiday was enjoyable, the sun shone and the resort was bustling.

We wouldn't return to the Marylanza having been spoiled by previous holidays in Sorrento and Madeira where generally the level of service is more attentive and the First Choice / Thomson hotels chosen were less children orientated.

Room Tip: We had roon F112 - it was an end room to the side of the hotel overlooking a park area. It was ver...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
If sober and unpretentious means basic, then I totally agree. Considering the destinations mentioned I would think that the hotels visited were probably not all-inclusive (but would not bet on it!). The level of service and attentiveness should have nothing to do with it, but all-inclusive definitely involves a different service concept. Also children make hotels different, as a matter of fact during these clients’ stay there was less demand than usual at our Kentia restaurant due to the many families visiting. I am glad that they enjoyed dinner there (without any children around!).
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

i have stayed in the hotel many of time every time i have stayed what an amazing time we have had fab room ,, clean hotel , super food , the staff are amazing esp Dana and nicole at reception the manger of hotel is lovely ,,
I am returning again 18th december for 5th time because we love it so so much,, cant wait to see all the staff again ,,

see you soon
katie gillingwater

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank jerseyholidaycamping
east yorks
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

we stayed at this hotel for a week in june, and was very dissapointed. We had stayed there on 6 previous occasions and been very happy with the hotel and standards. On this occasion when we stayed we found it had been changed into a thompson family platinum hotel and was full of kids, in the pools, running around everywhere day and night. The food was not as good a standard as on previous occasions, nor where the rooms. We were very dissapointed. will not go back again.

Room Tip: if your a couple on your own, stay away from the hotel.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
It is not specified when the 6 previous visits took place, that might give us the clue on their disappointment. Since the hotel first opened standards have definitely changed, but not necessarily dropped. They have changed along with our clients and their needs, demands and requirements (and these have not dropped either). We keep learning, growing, forging our character and personality. Seasons change, people change… and so do hotels.