“Had a great time, but fell short of expectations.”

Marylanza Suites & Spa
GreenLeadersGold level
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“Had a great time, but fell short of expectations.”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We boooked a 2 week holiday at the Marylanza at late notice and we were very excited about ecxperiencing a 4 star platinum hotel. I was there with my husband, 8 year old, and 10 month old.

First of all we arrived at reception at around midnight to be given a map of the hotel and a room number. No porter service so we were left with 4 suitcases and a buggy to carry around on our hunt for the room. This was a horrible start.

When we found our room we discovered that we did not have a golf view room, which we had paid an extra £126 for. In fact, we had a side room which meant a view of the road and the resulting sound of traffic. To be honest, it wasn't that bad but having paid £126 for the golf course view, this was our second disappointment.

My husband went back down to reception to ask for a refund or for our room with a view, only to be told that it was nothing to do with the hotel and that we would have to speak to the holiday reps the following day. At this time of the night, after our trek with suitcases etc, it was very annoying.

We decided to just get on with it and get some sleep.

The room was really good. Large living space with kitchenette area, double sink bathroom, and good sized bedroom. Large wardrobe which was really handy. The bed was two singles pushed together but this was fine. My 8 year old slept on a pull out bed in the living area, and baby was in a travel cot in the living area. Room was very clean, plenty of towels etc. Microwave and fridge extremely useful for making up baby feeds.

The travel cot that we had on the first night was dirty and had rips in the mesh sides. We got this changed the next day but a nice member of housekeeping staff that we met in the hallway.

The food was very good. It did get a bit dull after 2 weeks but this is to be expected when you eat in the same restautant every day. The range of food was large, particularly with breakfasts and dinner. The meat was actually really nice, and fish excellent.

The waiting staff were a credit to the hotel. Always friendly and helpful. They always helped us get a highchair, cleared away plates promptly and were generally very pleasant.

For contructive critisism I would suggest trying to vary the puddings a bit. These were the same on most days and eating rice pudding, jelly, yogurt and mouse felt a bit childish. There were cakes but it was always the same and they were not home made. The fruit salad was obviously frozen because it was still very cold when eaten, and tastless. Having said all that, I was always full and did enjoy the yelly!

Lunches were not great. I didn't have a problem with eating at the pool bar, but I didn't like the choice of food much. I don't like junk food like hot dogs and burgers, so ended up eating salad a chips most days. The soup provided was never labelled at lunchtime so you didnt know what it was. My daughter loved the hotdogs etc so I just think a bit more variation would have been good.

Oh, and please change the music played in the restaurant sometimes! Apart from some oriental themed music on one days, we had to listen to the same music every night, sometimes listening to it twice if we were there a while.

On the whole though, the food was very good and service excellent.

The pools are not a large as the photos make them look. This is actually a shame for the hotel because they are very nice so if the photos weren't misleading, there would be no disappointment. The pools were much too cold for me. I did enjoy swimming a few times but most days i couldnt face getting in. It didnt put my daughter off though, she spent 6-7 hours a day in them! Also it was quite funny watching other people struggle to get in!

The entertainment was a bit mixed. Mini disco 5 days out of 7, followed by more adult style entertainment. The entertainment lady who does the kids disco is great, and deserves a pay rise (whatever she gets now) because I have no idea how she does the same kids songs every day with a smile on her face. My daughter loved the disco. The entertainment that followed tended to be funny for the wrong reasons. The reptile show was appalling. Not really a show, just some chat about reptiles, then get for photo taken with a reptile for 15 euroes. Parrot show better. Bingo was ok but felt very much like being in an old peoples home :-)

We had kids so didnt really want use of a bar, but this was in reception so perhaps not what people would want if they like to sit up late drinking and talking. Entertainment and bar etc good for parents (we were happy with it) but dont think I would like it if we didnt have kids with us.

My husband used the gym a few times, and said it was very good. He paid 6 euros each time. I used the spa once and had a 30 minute massage. The spa was ok, but it didnt leave me feeling like I wanted to go back. Massage was good. It was good having the facilities there. I do think they should have been included for what we paid for this holiday though.

Same applies to the safe. Paid 18 euros to use the safe in our room.

The staff was really good on the whole. They were a credit to the hotel - particularly the entertainment lady and the waiting staff. However, there was a brunette lady on reception who was horrible and we always waited until someone else was working before asking for anything! For example, one day I really needed an envelope to send an urgent work related letter. I asked the brunette lady on reception if I could have an envelope. Without even thinking she said no, she didnt have one. On reception where there is an office? Right. So I asked again ten minutes later where there was someone else working on reception, and she simply reached to their desk and handed me one!

The only other member of staff that I think worth mentioning is the manager who responds to reviews on here. The responses are rude and to be honest, put me off going back to the Marylanza. Afterall, if providing contructive feedback and honest reviews, a manager should take them on board and learn from them, rather than deny the points made.

I don't think the hotel justifies the price, but we did have a really good time and had a good holiday.

Room Tip: Ask for, and get a golf view room. We paid for one and now have to pursue a refund since we didnt g...
2 Thank claire h
MarylanzaSuites, Director General at Marylanza Suites & Spa, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
“Dear guests: we thank you for your time to post your feedback on your recent stay with us on Tripadvisor, for your opinion is of the utmost importance to us. We regret your negative experiences while with us, rest assured that we will do our best to prevent these situations from happening in the future. In any case we are glad that your overall impression on on our hotel was a good one and hope to have the chance to welcome you again to our hotel in the future.”

I would probably be much better off replying something like this to each comment on Tripadvisor, I would invest less time, be considered a much nicer person and even have my replies ready in advance, well before comments were posted. Instead, and to show how I appreciate constructive criticism, I try myself to be constructive in my replies, too. I therefore prefer to give my/our point of view on a specific issue, why we do or not do something, what we are planning, what we never planned, my theories, if they worked or didn’t and why, what I have learnt from previous experiences and what I had to un-learn… I have also apologized many times when we have made a mistake (and we make quite a few), provided any clarifications if needed and yes, denied the points issued when I think or know that they are not right… Our past, present and future or potential clients deserve to have all the information, versions and opinions to make up their own event composition. These clients have the clue: if providing constructive feedback and honest reviews a manager should take them on board and learn from them. I have tried to do so not only as a manager, but my entire life, and am very honest (maybe too honest) in all my replies. As a client you may like or not like something, and you may even be mad at us for not having received what you understand you should, but being or having been a client is not a blank check to say or write whatever you wish without sticking to the actual facts, if you feel that you have the right to complain or that something was so terrible, where is the point in adding or exaggerating? I do not see much constructiveness in describing our food as rubbish, distort my words in a conversation, insult other clients because of their nationality, make up an illness to defame the hotel or threaten to post a bad comment on Tripadvisor in order to get something…

Now I very sincerely thank these clients for their feedback, which by the way has been expressed in a very constructive manner, and regret their negative experience with certain services and staff members, we will definitely do our best to prevent these situations in the future. In any case I am glad that their overall impression on our hotel was a good one and hope to have the chance to welcome them again to our hotel in the future and meet them personally, hoping to be able to change their opinion on myself. And this is not a model letter, I really mean it.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (684)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed October 27, 2012

We spent a week in the Marylanza in August 2012. Starting with the positives, we enjoyed the food though it was beginning to become a little repetitive. We enjoyed good service on the whole and the hotel was very clean. Our big issue which spoiled our holiday at the Marylanza was the air conditioning or lack of. We lost sleep for the first few nights because even though the air con was blowing throughout the night, it was not blowing cool air. The refrigeration units were not on. On the advice of the hotel reception staff we had to move rooms because there was a 'fault' with the air con. This all followed periods of waiting for technicians who never appeared. We moved rooms and looked forward to a good nights sleep - but the same thing happened again. We ended up with a mobile air conditioning unit (which was like having a noisy tractor in the room) and 2 pedestal fans to keep us cool. We had to pay a refundable deposit for the hire of the unit which took euros off our budget. The most annoying part of the whole experience was finding out from a receptionist that there was not a fault with the hotel air con - they turn it off at night!! A money saving opportunity perhaps? Needless to say we were singularly unimpressed with this. The Thompson rep was fantastic and really helped us. We have had many happy holidays with First Choice and will book with them again as they have helped us sort this out. We would not however return to the Marylanza.

• Stayed August 2012
MarylanzaSuites, Director General at Marylanza Suites & Spa, responded to this review, October 30, 2012
In August we had quite an issue with the air-conditioning. It started in the Drago section (reason why these clients were probably offered to move), but the problem ended up affecting the whole property. This was due to a failure in a compressor and made the air-conditioning work at less than 65% of its power. This was not due to any negligence, it just happened and could not be prevented. In order to fully restore the air-conditioning a new compressor was required which had to be delivered from mainland Spain (unfortunately the price of this piece and its unlikeliness to fail makes it unfeasible for our suppliers to keep it in stock just in case). I would like to make clear that we do not switch the air-con off at night and I am glad (?!) to inform that there really was a problem with it during these clients’ visit which caused the inconvenience.
Orpington, Kent
Reviewed October 25, 2012

We are more used to 5 star, but this is no way 4plus star:

No porter service on arrival.
No free ice cream.
Flies on food in the evening.
Flies everywhere at lunchtime.
Location ok- better south-westerly with more shops/restaurants nicer area
15 mins beach
Dingy bedroom but nice outlook in the suite C block with golf course, tweeting birds and the odd feral cat if you like cats. Also quiet. (but walls are thin - beware amorous activities!)
Waiter service a bit too fast (kept blowing out our candle! removing cutlery etc)
Noisy ambience inside restaurant - need more seating outside. (cluttering of waiters clearing up) like being in a school canteen.
Good for kids/babies.
Not the best place for couples.
Food mundance/repetitive. though salads nice. not enough chicken. fish was dried out.
Spotless room/hotel.
Lots choice of booze if you like a drink (i dont)

Will not be going back again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
MarylanzaSuites, Director General at Marylanza Suites & Spa, responded to this review, October 26, 2012
We are certainly not a 5-star (we do not pretend to), but surely deserve more than 3. Expectations must definitely have been other, I am surprised by the description of our bedrooms as dingy. However, we do have free ice-cream available within the all-inclusive, and I am also glad to announce that, even though the outer space at the buffet restaurant is limited and cannot be enlarged, we have changed the tables and chairs and been able to arrange more seating in the terrace.
Rugeley, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

For a 4 star hotel the food was not up to scratch. First Choice advertise and sell this hotel as breakfast, lunch and evening meal served in the restaurant. This is not the case lunch is served at the pool bar surrounded and food contaminated by fly;s. On a more positive note the rooms and room service where excellent.

Tony, Rugeley

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
wales
Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have read many reviews about the Marylanza I must say I went there at the end of September 2012 and had a really great time there. Yes there were a lot of children about and the pool area was a little noisy but certainly not unbearable, during the evenings there were quite a few children running around the bar areas but again this was not too bad.
I thought the rooms were spacious, well laid out and with good quality furnishings. The restaurant had a wide choice of food and the table clearing was very prompt. The pool bar had one of the best ranges of food I have seen at a pool bar .
I have not been to a hotel where they were continually cleaning one area or another and I thought the hotel was spotless.
There were some ants in the room but it wasnt a great nuisance and I was in a hot country so expected it, they were never in my bed so I didnt see it as an issue!!
I arrived about 10pm so never experienced a wait for my room, in fact they kept the restaurant open for us. ( perhaps that was a good time to arrive after all?)
I liked the staff, they were friendly and attentive and I felt the whole place had a good feel to it. What else can I say, I liked it so much I am going back end of November, believe me I cant wait.

Room Tip: we had a room in G block facing the road and never had an issue
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank plan7
Glasgow
Reviewed October 24, 2012

As a family we have visited many 3 star and 4 star hotels, home and abroad. We have come to the conclusion over the years that while in Spain or indeed any other tourist package hotels you can take a star off that advertised in the brochures. So we always pay the extra and go at least 4 star. This hotel is marketed in the Thomson brochure as 4 star plus and "platinum". I can`t see how it can be! We have visited Marylanza before and were very impressed and thought we knew what to expect and indeed we know many others who frequent the hotel and have similar expectations. We did give this hotel a very good review on this site in 2010. On arrival we were told that since the last time the only change "was lunch is now served at the pool". On our previous visit snacks were served at the pool later in the afternoon consisting of burgers etc but we had probably already had a lovely lunch so never tried this. However, now it your lunch at the pool consisting of burgers etc, chips and pizza which is great if you like to eat from snack vans outside a factory at lunch time but you want more on holiday particularly when this is one of the more expensive hotels in the Thomson brochures. I have read some of the replies by the manager below and he does say that the restaurant was being under utilised at lunch time and that there was a lot of waste. Everyone was complaining about the standard of the lunches and the swarms of flies around all the food while we were there so I find it hard to believe that the majority prefer to eat burgers and flies at the bar than take the 50 steps to the air conditioned restaurant and get out of the heat for half an hour. If this was the case and it`s the choice of one or the other why not have the restaurant open from 1pm to 3pm as previously and just serve snacks from the bar or and this is not rocket science provide paper plates in the restaurant and let all those people who prefer to eat at the bar take their food from the lovely restaurant to the bar - genius!

On the plus side I can`t see why people can complian about the rooms or cleanliness, the place is spotless. The staff are all very nice also

but we won`t return.

5 Thank Catherine1888
MarylanzaSuites, Director General at Marylanza Suites & Spa, responded to this review, October 25, 2012
There are facts and theories. Fact: our clients have increasingly been using the Pool Bar since we re-opened it back in May. Theory: our clients would love a light, extended, outdoor lunch service at the Pool Bar. Fact: very few guests were actually using our buffet restaurant for lunch. Theory: they would love a light, extended, outdoor lunch service at the Pool Bar. Fact: guests mention that they do not come to Tenerife to stay indoors, but to enjoy our beautiful climate. Guess the theory…

We made this change looking for our guests’ satisfaction and to enhance their Canary holiday experience. Not that many people complained, but not that many people were enthusiastic, either. We do not need more time to see that we have not achieved our goal and we have reconsidered our decision. As of Thursday, 25th October lunch is being served again at the buffet restaurant between 13:00-15:00 and the Pool Bar serves just snacks at the usual timetable. On this first day the vast majority remained by the Pool Bar and just 20% used the restaurant, so we were not that wrong.

Any change involves a risk and we took it just aiming to please you. I apologize to those who did not find our idea a good one, but also to those who did and will not enjoy it anymore.
Widnes, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Just back from our 7 night stay and after reading some bad reviews (I don't know what some people want) I had to say how it really is. The hotel itself is nice and it is kept clean and tidy. The rooms are cleaned everyday, location is fine, not in the hustle and bustle of the towns but it is only a short walk to either of the two resorts and if you don't want to walk back it is only 5 Euros in a taxi.
The food is excellent and the breakfast and dinner choice of food is amazing. While we were there lunch was only available at the pool bar and although not a large choice it was good enough after a huge breakfast, I only ever had a little salad with maybe a pork chop or just the salad. The local drinks are good even the beer, I used to work in the holiday industry and I have tried the beer at some all inclusive hotels and I couldn't drink it but the local beer in Tenerife is perfectly fine.
The entertainment is quite poor only one girl to entertain the whole hotel with bingo almost every night ( not my cup of tea) but the acts like Brazilian dancers, the Beatles etc are ok just short and a bit too late starting for the kids. The disco bar is awful, it is too dark and very unsociably set out, very regimental in rows where it should be chairs set around the tables. It could easily be improved. The main bar in the reception is also not very sociable and has no atmosphere as it feels like a meeting place rather than a place to spend time in the evening. The pool bar unfortunately closes at 6pm but with a little lighting could easily be opened at night and would be a great place to sit and have a quiet drink, maybe with a little background music.
The pool area is great, not ever overcrowded and as the water is freezing (the warm pool was just as cold while we stayed there) if you can brave it to get in the water once in it is ok. The large pool was usually empty as it is so cold and it is salt water but me and the kids had fun in it. Never had a problem getting sun loungers either.
Staff where all fantastic, friendly and helpful throughout. I would quite happily stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: People say overlooking the golf course, we were road side and it was quiet enough and got the sun al...