On arriving at Hotel Ponderosa we asked if our room had been upgraded including a double bed as we had paid an extra £20 to do so. We were informed by the receptionist (I believe her name was Patricia) that it had not and was not on her paperwork to do so. She said we could have a look at the room first before making a decision on what we did. We had a look and it was awful. It was certainly not an upgrade and the floor was flooded. We told her this was not acceptable and she said it was not their problem and we need to contact our travel company. As I went to phone them the receptionist said she had found a room with a double bed for us. We tried contacting our travel agent but were unable to get through so we had to accept the room however we have many complaints. Below is a list:
• Firstly our toilet was broken and although a maintenance man came to have a look, we spent 10 days with the toilet making a constant noise. I was not able to sleep.
• Secondly the bath was not useable. The ceramic was coming up on the bottom so you could not sit in it.
• The room was unclean and when a cleaner came in, the floor was mopped but not swept so was still filthy. Curtains were filthy and also the plastic lining which can be easily wiped so why wasn’t it!
• The maintenance was poor. Paint all over the lights and light switches and there was a Tv stand attached to the wall but the Tv was on a table so it was not in use. As we opened the patio doors we smacked our heads on the Tv stand on the wall. On one day we had yellow water. We were not informed of this as when we complained, we were told it was something the maintenance guys was doing. This was not acceptable!
• On 2 occasions we were woken up at 8.15am with the cleaner dragging the furniture across the room next door. When asking the receptionist (Tamara) why this was being done so early I was accused of lying. She later apologised as she had found out that I was correct and a cleaner had been in the room however they shouldn't be until 9.30am! Tamara was the only helpful member of staff.
• There was a note at reception stating you could put a towel on a sun bed from 9.30am to reserve it. This meant that people were putting towels down and then going out for the day! Those people who were in the hotel all day could not use the sun beds. We were then unable to get a sun bed around the pool. At only 1 point did we manage to sit by the pool in 10 days!
• The food was hideous! The fish was swimming in water, the burgers and sausages not cooked properly and the chips were dry. It was the same food most days and sometimes the lunchtime sausages were cut up and put in the dinner! The bananas were old and brown and the desserts never changed. The only thing fresh was the salad. My partner found a hair in his food…..! At one point there was no cutlery and I had to wait 10 minutes to get a fork. By the time I got one my food was cold! The tables were dirty and the waitress was not clearing the tables. On one occasion there was not a clean table for us to sit at. We also had ants crawling over our table!! Both myself and my partner had bad stomachs on 2 occasions from the food.
• The staff were rude and miserable! The waitress had a face like thunder and was not helpful at all. She also kept giving me drinks without any alcohol and claiming there was alcohol in it!
• A family arrived at the hotel and were also very unhappy with the staff and the hotel and were given a room that had not been cleaned. As they were on our floor they showed us the room and it was horrendous. Cigarette butts everywhere, bins not emptied, bedding everywhere etc When talking to the family in reception a member of staff said to me ‘Who invited you to the party’!!!!!!! Very rude.
• We arrived on a wed and the entertainment was a parrot! Very boring. The Thursday was an Eagle! Even more boring and then there was a dance act on Sunday however no entertainment on Friday, Saturday or Tuesday. The dance show was let down by the hotel speaker blowing during the show so we could not hear the music and also the lights were left on so there was no atmosphere. I believe there was karaoke on a Monday but we did not attend this. I cannot believe that a hotel of this size could not have decent entertainment every night.
We were so disappointed with the hotel and it did honestly ruin our holiday. We had to go out every night and eat out which meant we spent over double the amount we should have spent as it was meant to be all inclusive.
We recommend you go somewhere else!
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Cancelon so you can book your Hotel Ocean Ponderosa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ocean Ponderosa Hotel
- Hotel Ocean Ponderosa Tenerife/Playa De Las Americas