“Poor, wish I had stayed elsewhere”

Hotel Ocean Ponderosa
London, United Kingdom
“Poor, wish I had stayed elsewhere”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 19, 2013

Went all inclusive for 8 nights at the start of February but I wish I had booked up at the superb Las Piramides where I stayed the year before.

The majority of the staff (apart from a couple of the blokes on reception) were downright miserable and rude. I felt that the majority of them looked down on me like I was a piece of dirt. Seriously, they were the most miserable hotel staff I have ever had the misfortune of coming across. Even when you spoke to them in Spanish their mood never lifted.

The choice of food was shocking, there was no variety, it was the same every day and the quality was awful. They reminded me of primary school dinners. Breakfast was the only decent meal but even that was freezing cold some mornings.

The pool was unheated so it was freezing but this didn't bother me too much. It would have been far better if it was heated though.

The room only got cleaned once every three days and when I say 'cleaned' they just made the bed and nothing else. I don't expect anyone to have scrubbed the floor but it would have been nice to have the bin emptied etc. i'm not a messy person but on holiday I don't expect to have to clean everything myself when I have paid all inclusive.

The only positives were the sea view, the location as it was about 15 minutes walk to the Veronicas strip, and the entertainment on some evenings, the reptile show and the parrot show spring to mind.

The bar area is comfy too with a decent sized screen to show the football. It's just a shame the service is so bad you'll often wait at the bar for over 5 minutes waiting to be served.

If I go back to Las Americas I will go back to Las Piramides which was far superior, despite being about the same price for all inclusive.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank mackemgucci

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 18, 2013

After what was possibly one of the longest transfer from the airport (it felt like the coach stopped at every hotel) 2hours, we were greeted by our German host. Requested a safe box (27euros) straight away for the week & was given a key plus the room key 218. Got to the room & to my amazement there was no safe, went back to reception to see if I could get a room change & was asked to see the manager in the morning & was given my money back. The room itself was ample with double bed, tv, kitchenette with large fridge freezer, bathroom with bath & shower in bath. Balcony with partial sea view/pool view overlooking main bar area.
The next morning I was told by management that the hotel was full & that it wasn't possible to room change so was given a safe next to reception to my satisfaction free of charge!
The hotel itself was of a fair standard for what was paid on an all inclusive basis (cheap & cheerful), & was clean at all times. The food at meal times was not too bad, just a bit repetitive, but there was always something appetising (a new English chef was on hand to make sure the food was kept warm & refreshed) Breakfast consisted of the same every morning but change of eating habits corrected this. Cereals, fruit, pastries, toast, cold meats & cheese, plus the usual Great British hangover cure fry up!!!!!!!!!
The bar area had seating inside & out, with a couple of evenings entertainment, was great. The only downside was that during the day you have to wait to be served as the staff are serving in the restaurant, but not too long wait as they can see the bar area from where they are serving. Service at the bar at night is much better. I saw in previous reviews that staff were rude, but I only witnessed that once. Holidaymakers tend to be rude in the first place, common courtesy costs absolutely nothing, personally I thought the Waiting staff were very pleasant. Beer, wine, brandy & cocktails were very good, vodka not so good.
The two pools in the hotel were freezing, but on a hot Jan/Feb afternoon they are quite refreshing as the weather peaked in the high 70's to mid 80's - not bad for time of year.
Overall myself & partner had a great time & laugh at the Ponderosa having met some very nice people from different countries & cultures. Would I come back to this Hotel? Most probably yes!

Room Tip: As high as possible to get a great view of the Tenerife coast
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank DaveTheJock
wigan
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

arrived back this week after spending a week at ponerosa my 19th visit to tenerife staying at lots of hotels and apartments from basic to 4 star,after reading the recent reviews didnt know what to expect, arrived on bus from airport which was straight over the road,had studio on 6th floor with pool and sea view,cleaners where cleaning room when i arrived so it was nice and clean they even handed me a ice cold can of beer that was left in the fridge,quite small and dated but otherwise couldnt complain,cleaned each day asked for more coat hangers which was brought right away, staff on reception always pleasant,very quiet at night secure complex which was very clean,always got beds round pool which was one of the quietest ive been round,everyone just chilling location cant be faulted not far from centre of resort/torviscas would stay again anytime just dont know what some people expect for money as long as its clean not rowdy and in a good location with added bonus of sea view thrown in what more can you want for a cheap weeks holiday.

Room Tip: ask for higher room pool /sea view
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
5 Thank benib
Blackpool, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2013

went last february and year before took 2 friends with us we found this hotel adequte rooms basic food very good but repetitive but something for everyone if u want 5 star go there.we cant wait has we are going again with our 2 friends very soon.staff very excellent.location superb.

Room Tip: room overlooking pool
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
7 Thank joaniefish
Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

after reading the reports we went to this hotel with a open mind. The hotel was ok but many of reviews i am afraid were true. We were there for xmas an there was no real entertainment,. the bar closed at 11-00 not 11.30 The food was plentiful but not exciting very bland however xmas dinner was great. The rooms are in need of refurbishment. We could not sit on the sofa we had to complain every day to get floor moped and the bathroom was not cleaned all 9days neither did we have clean sheets.The staff however were very friendly. Good points hotel is in a great position with great sea views.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
6 Thank alan b
Newcastle-under-lyme
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 5, 2013

landed here November 20th with my husband and daughter.after spending 57 pound on my mobile to ring travel republic to move us and calling family to book us flights back home.myself and daughter was in tears when we got to the room.after a long time explaining to reception we changed rooms to top floor double balcony quite nice but doesn't take away the fact of fawlty towers.lights floating in the pool curled up sandwich.s on the bar for the all inclusive.plastic cups for the hot drinks machine.smoking with windows open next to room where you eat.can't call it dining room defo not that.luckily travel republic moved us next day to Villa Adeje Beach.like a dream.PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T WASTE UR MONEY.cost us extra 400 pound altogether to move!and lost 2 days of our holiday.first time ever to b happy to back in rainy England!

• Stayed November 2012
7 Thank mrsbaggo

Travelers are raving about these Playa de las Americas hotels

Huddersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

we arrived their late night, about 1am, and check in was fine, the lady at reception was very helpful, and considerate when we struggled with getting our key in the door!! We had a 4th floor room and while the lifts wernt anything brilliant they worked and got you were you wanted, the stairs were just as quick though athough the light didnt always work on a night which was difficult when stumbling in from a night on the strip haha!

Our room was fine! Very basic but all we needed for the 2 of us on a girls holiday. The bathroom was also fine and we just needed to remember to close our air vent on a night. Our balcony over looked the bar area and the swimming pool and was equipped with a table and chair. Like i said before it was just total basics but why would 2 girls on a party holiday need anymore than that :)

The only problems we experienced where the food. Dinner and tea was almost the same as each other, every day. This consisted of pasta, chips, and then other things that didnt look particularly appealing! its a good job we didnt need big meals! puddings were limited but nice enough.
The 2nd problem we had was with the all inclusive drinks. The bar was only open till 11pm which is fair enough , but as you can imagine we made friends at the hotel and it was easier for a couple of us to get rounds in rather than all go up one by one for a drink, but the bar staff were very adamant that it was 1 DRINK PER PERSON, 1 AT A TIME. it would have been understandable if we were trying to get loads for only a few of us or if we still all had drinks on the table but when he could see we all needed one anyway it would have been easier for us all. but never mind!

Location for us was fantastic! we were a five minute walk up from Las Americas, and from Veronicas strip. walking in the other direction took us into los christianos where there was loads to do for during the days. also from the hotel we could see Siam Park, but cause of the busy roads between we had to get a taxi round to there but it didnt cost much and was quick :)

Absolutely loved tenerife in general! Best bar for me would have been o'neills played all the cheesy pop haha loved it! best to go on the strip in big groups to get the best deals from the reps. deffo reccomend it :D

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends