“Assaulted by security”

Apartamentos Playazul
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Assaulted by security”
Reviewed June 26, 2012

DO NOT GO HERE IF YOU WANT TO PARTY. 10 young males from Newcaslte came 11/06/2012 for a week - we were threated to be thrown out on the first night for being too loud. Bare in mind that you could hear all of the noise from the strip we only had a small ipod dock on and left at midnight to go out. A small ipod dock by the pool was the only other noise we made. We were told we had to leave the hotel tonight and they had recived the most complaints that reception had ever taken that night. When i asked to see the complaints book it was all in spanish so i asked for a copy (as i speak spanish) they would let me - all of the dates were from a year ago. After this night we actaully got another apartement rented opposite (I highly recomend it) we stayed here most nights and avoided the playazul as they threated us with police beatings. On 2nd last night we retured to the playazul where a security guard sat outside of our room writing down what noise we were making. After a rough week 3 of the lads were asleep on the sofa with the t.v. on - this was the only noise made. He told reception that we were having a party with prositiutes and actually hit one of our mates for asking why he was sat outside. We decided for our own safety to go out early that night. After a night on the tiles I came back at 9.30 am and at 10am a lady came running in (she was the rep) telling us that we needed to leave now the police were coming to take our passports and beat us up for being too noisy last night - WE WERE NOT NOISY. For fear of our lives we left the country early. I DONT ADVISE ANYONE TO USE THIS HOTEL FOR ITS PURPOSE AS A CHEAP CHEARFUL BASIC HOTEL. Ill manered staff and un helpfulnesss is all you got ! all the best!!

Room Tip: top floor has no liftt.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
5 Thank jonnyh245

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Polish first
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed June 6, 2012

Stayed here July 2011 with a groups of girls (all in our early 20s). Obviously on holidays for a good time and were looking for somewhere cheap and cheerful to stay.
The apartments are dated but have everything you would want. In a good location in the centre of all the clubs, etc. And the views are amazing.
BUT the staff are HORRENDOUS! We booked online and there was a mix up with the bookings. This was fine and would have been no problem if the manager hadnt been so rude. Apparently we had to pay for an extra night because we had booked the wrong dates. We tried to explain the mix up that had occured. The manager refused to listen and was unbelievably obnoxious and told us to pay for the extra night or leave the hotel. The situation was handled so badly by the staff and I was disgusted. We finally agreed to pay for the extra night, after being hounded by the manager who could barely understand what we were saying. We wouldnt have minded paying the extra money if the mix up had been handled with a bit of basic customer service. This incident would put me off staying here again.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mashy11
Reviewed May 29, 2012

Hving read the review below I felt I needed to add my own on here.

This was the second time I has stayed at these apartments, the first time being 3 years ago with my boyfriend. We didn't have any issues then which is why I chose to return here for my hen party. I felt it was a very good location and the perfect type of accommodation for 28 girls to stay at.

The rooms are very basic and could do with a refurb but you only get what you pay for. The pool area is perfect for a large group, lots of room and plenty of sun loungers.

Now in regards to the security, as previously stated by some members of my party and the gentleman below, the balconys on the ground floor are very accessible from the outside and the doors extremely easy to open. However on the first occasion we were broken into, the room was located on the third floor and the thief went in through the front door. Unfortunately the girls staying in this room hadn't purchased a safe (other members of the party had) but this does not mean that it was their fault that they had all of their money, mobile phone, bank cards and driving licence stolen. Having complained to the reception who I must say wasn't particularly helpful they then reluctantly gave the rest of the party safes free of charge. We continued with our holiday and tried not to let this get us down, however the day before we were due to leave we returned to the room to find the balcony door open, and items moved around at the time we assumed that one of the girls had forgotten to shut it. We went out for a meal returning around midnight to find that the balcony door was again open in the same room. Upon reporting it to reception again, there was an old couple also reporting the same thing, therefore I have to dispute the review below in that this was an inflated story only relating to our party. The security guard suggested we sleep with a knife which sounds extremely dramatic but it was true and not something you want to hear after having somebody in your room on 3 seperate occasions.

As I have said you cannot fault the apartments for location and the pool facilities however I do feel that if groups of young girls (and oaps) are going to be staying there then the security needs stepping up.

5 Thank Sian3011

Travelers are raving about these Playa de las Americas hotels

UK
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Ok take note of the title! I'm not giving this hotel 5 stars in the same vein as a top class hotel , it gets 5 stars when you combine the location with price and factor in how clean it was.

Perfect for a group of stags , 2 mins from linekers , 4 mins from veronicas , 8 mins from beach

Dont expect too much and you wont be dissapointed , large clean apartments good sized WARM pool!!.

there is a chinese karaoke place below the first floor so that gets a bit noisy

The walk from the bars to the hotel is littered with ladies of the night.

BUT.......... it was perfect for us any worth every penny . I cant confirm reports of theft , but if you dont shell out 10 euro for the safe then its kinda your own fault

its easy to jump across balconies and get in patio doors but no easier than any other resort. all the reports below are from the same hen party so the problem seems a little inflated

I would absolutely stay again and I've stayed in many great hotels across the world. you get what you pay for

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Alfatron
Reviewed April 29, 2012 via mobile

Stayed at playazul for a week with my partner. Rooms were basic but clean, pool area is nice. Good location for the strip. Prostitutes hang around outside the hotel at night and they tried to grab my boyfriend so just be wary of them. Overall I would say playazul is good value for what we paid.

Warrington
Reviewed April 26, 2012

On Tuesday 17th April i arrived at the Playazul Apartments with a party of 28.
My and my friend checked into room 312 x on the third floor of the apartment block. We found the rooms to be very spacious and basic but this is exactly what we wanted. The pool area is very nice and we always got a sunlounger. The pool bar was resonably priced.
On the second day of the holiday we returned to our room at around 7pm to find that our cases had been tampered with and i had been robbed.
I immediately reported this to reception. Whilst at reception i discovered that other members of my party had also been robbed.
Reception then decided due to the robbery that they would move us to the ground floor, room 112 x.
On Friday 20th April all 28 of my party went out for a day at the beach and returned at around 4pm to find our balcony door wide open and our cases had been tampered with and gone through again. We immediately reported this to reception who dismissed this and advised they would keep an eye on our rooms. Luckily all 28 of my party had learnt from the previous robbery and was now carrying all important belongings with them at all times so nothing was taken this time.
We went out for the evening on Friday 20th April and returned to our room at around 12 midnight to discover yet again our balcony doors was wide open. We immediately reported this to reception who came to investigate and later advised that the balcony doors are easy to open with a bank card type object from the outside. This worried us so reception recommended as many as possible to sleep in one room (we had 10 girls in our room!!), to barricade the doors with objects such as chairs tables etc and they also advised to sleep with a "rock, knife and stiletto" by us?!! this seriously worried us, needless to say we did not get much sleep that night.
These Apartments would be perfect for stag/Hen party type holiday but they seriously need to add security. They do not have a security guard or CCTV.

Room Tip: Do not stay at Playazul until they add security!!!!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank gem_chilton
cheshire uk
Reviewed April 23, 2012

Stayed in the apartments in April 2012. Initial thoughts were decent size rooms even though they were basic. It's in the centre by all the nightlife so is very noisy as there is s bar right below. More to the point the security.... There were 28 of our party staying in 8 of the rooms and over four days all of our rooms had been burgled. Some even twice! The doors to all rooms are very insecure the door frames come away from the Walls and you can literally gain access by using a bank card to swipe up the side of the door! We were that scared 10 of us slept in one room together. The reception staff were not phased as it happens that often! Spoke to a number of people working out there who told us this happens on a regular basis and to be careful as it isn't safe if you walk around on your own. Prostitutes operate right outside the hotel from an alley way. DO NOT STAY HERE if you do you are your own wost enemy don't say you haven't been warned!!!

3 Thank lauramolyneux
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa de las Americas
Apartamentos Oro Blanco
Hotel Ole Tropical
Hotel Ole Tropical
#16 of 59 in Playa de las Americas
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,168 reviews

Been to Apartamentos Playazul? Share your experiences!