Spring Hotel Bitacora
Mediterranean Palace Hotel(Playa de las Americas)
$139
Palm Beach Tenerife(Playa de las Americas)
$107
  • Beachfront
Europe Villa Cortes(Playa de las Americas)
$220
$213
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
H10 Las Palmeras(Playa de las Americas)
$156
$151
Gran Oasis Resort(Playa de las Americas)
$145
$138
  • Breakfast included
$148
  • Pool
Cleopatra Palace Hotel(Playa de las Americas)
$145
Iberostar Las Dalias(Playa de las Americas)
$194
$189
Priceline
  • Pool
Green Garden Resort & Suites(Playa de las Americas)
$183
$160
HotelQuickly
  • Pool
Hotel Sir Anthony(Playa de las Americas)
$333
$315
Hotels.com
3,767 results
All reviewsanimation teampool barhalf boardpool viewroom cardspring cardgreat holidaysuperior roomevening entertainmentwaiter serviceplay parkplenty of choicebar staffkids clubmain barsister hotelevery night
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Stayed for 14 nights in Aug 2010.

Hotel is in a great area possibly one of the best in Americas. On arrival the reception staff were excellent fast and efficient. The public areas of the hotel are spotless and very pleasant although the air con could do to be turned on or at least when on set to a more comfortable temperature.

The room was clean but very dated and overdue for refurbishment we had cracked tiles in the bathroom and loose tiles in the bedroom, beds were comfortable, air con not very good only 1 fan speed and just about coped with the outside temp of 27 degrees but doubt it would cope in a heatwave.

The restaurant is good but not great. Breakfasts were excellent with plenty of choice. At lunch and dinner the choice of salad starter was very much the same every night which gets a bit repetitive after 2 weeks. Many times the food was only warm not hot.

The pool area could also do with refurbishment the tiles are looking pretty old and are very slippery. The sunbeds are so crammed in you have no privacy and the area is very noisy. As usual to get a good sun bed you have to be down at 8am.

We upgraded to all inclusive and found this saved us a fortune 15 Euros per adult and teenager went free. I can agree with previous comments that it is difficult to get a drink in the bar at night, they have a ridiculous system where only 1 or 2 waiters can take orders the rest only deliver the drinks, you have to try and order a round when you have only drank half of the previous drink. If you go to the bar it can take 20 mins to get served. The pool bar during the day was good with only small queue's during the busiest of times.

The night entertainment was on the whole excellent but unfortunately is held indoors in a room with no air con. On holiday in a warm climate in August I would prefer to be outside at night.

I struggle to see on the whole how this hotel is ranked number 3 in Americas last year we stopped at the sister hotel the Arona Gran in Los Cristianos and I rated this hotel 5 out of 5, the Bitacora would get a 3.5 if you could give half points.

Would I recommend this hotel No, would I go again No. Mainly due to the old rooms, the noisy cramped pool area, the lack of choice and repetitiveness in the restaurant and the night entertainment being in an uncomfortably hot room.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
Bitacora O, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Spring Hotel Bitacora, responded to this reviewResponded September 20, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our Bitacora Hotel on Tripadvisor. Naturally, I am disappointed to learn of you rating your stay so poorly... All of us here at Bitacora are very proud of the number of positive contributions that our guests left for us and I am sorry that you did not feel the same way. Nevertheless I would like to thank you for highlighting the parts that you enjoyed .

We will take note of your complaint into consideration in order to keep improving our service

We appreciate the time dedicated to share your impression of our hotel and apologize once again for the inconveniences you may have experienced

Reviewed August 7, 2010

First time for many years my wife and I have booked a holiday at the start of school holidays so picked this hotel after careful thought and a walk through last year.
We were half board as normal and to be honest we use the hotel as a base, never had a drink in the bars or watched the entertainment so it was ideal for us, both early fifties by the way!
Location is perfect for access to beaches, bars, restraunts and shops, we have stayed in the immediate area for some years now so know the resort area inside out.
The reception and staff were excellent throughout the stay, didnt like the wicker chairs but didnt spend much time on them.
Didnt use the bars so no comment.
Had no problems with the resteraunt, food was good and varied, plentiful and well cooked, staff fine as well.
Room with pool view on 5th floor also had views across to sea and island, great sun sets. Beds, shower, toilets etc were fine and the maid who cleaned daily was absolutely superb. Personally we would prefer a small kettle to replace the dressing gown and slippers which I guess most people do not use.
Outside our room the entire hotel is spotlessly clean, including the pool area.
Ah the pool, we hate the sardines layout of the beds but a bit of careful selection and yes, up at 07-30 to get the ones you want you can have space. Getting up early no problem to us and have done it for years and anyone expecting any different must be mad as this happens in every hotel!
Main pool clean and warm, room to swim even when busy and grounds maintained to a high standard. Superior room provided good beach towels which you could change daily at around 10-00am at the pool. Sun beds were available all day, late risers obviously couldnt get near the front but again what do they expect.
Other guests commented on the all inclusive trial, typical comments being detrimental but to honest didnt observe any problems on the days we spent round the pool.
Never been in a hotel yet where drink prices are reasonable so we did what we always do, buy outside and drink at the pool permitted or not.
No pressure to take part in any activities, just as well cos I chill out on holiday but seemed well organised and used.
Would we go back, yes provided we dont have to be all inclusive and could get a superior room and would recommend to anyone as a base as this works for us.
Have stayed in the sister hotel, the Vulcano which is also very good but I quite like the buzz kids and younger people bring to a hotel so the Bitacora wins that contest.
Over all we had a very good 11 night holiday, in a good hotel and excellent resort.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Buck5407
Bitacora O, Director de Recepción at Spring Hotel Bitacora, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time in sending us your review of your stay
at the Spring Hotel Bitacora

It is a real pleasure for all Bitacora staff to receive comments as yours. We are very proud to have succedded your expectations.

We hope forward to welcoming you back!

Reviewed August 6, 2010

My children and I have just returned from a 10 day stay at the Bitacora Hotel during the end of July and beginning of August. It was unfortunately not a great holiday. The hotel has just introduced an all-inclusive boarding option and from talking to other families who had returned after previous good experiences at the hotel, they also found it had changed for the worse and sighted the all-inclusive as the root cause.

They were very short staffed; apparently many staff had left since all-inclusive had been introduced, perhaps due to lack of immediate tips as AI guests benefit from not needing to carry cash so tend to tip at the end of their stay. In the daytime this led to queues at the only pool bar, and in the evenings guests also experienced extremely long and unacceptable waiting times at the bar. One evening I waited for half an hour to be served at the bar in the hotel, as they seemed to prioritise making drinks for those served at tables than the people standing at the bar. After twenty minutes waiting at the bar another night I went to complain at the reception. Most nights I took my children out after dinner as the situation with the bar was unbearable. In addition all the evening entertainment takes place inside and in a good climate my children and I would far rather be outside in the fresh air. I wouldn't be so upset with this had I not booked all-inclusive; I had already paid for drinks in the price of the holiday but ended up paying again every night we went out. As the pound is weak against the euro currently, the cost of a couple of milkshakes or hot-chocolates for the children was very high.

Some guests speculated the queues at the bars were so the hotel could save money on the cost of drinks for the all-inclusive guests, as it meant everyone had far fewer drinks than they could have if they were served promptly. The hotel certainly did save a great deal I am sure, but I would imagine the negative reviews and regular guests who will no longer be returning, will in the longer term lose revenue for the hotel.

The staff at the bars were mixed: either friendly, polite and helpful or cold, distant and at times downright rude. One night I asked for a coffee from a waitress passing our table on the small outdoor terrace and she answered "no". I thought perhaps her English wasn't good enough to say "just a moment" or equivalent so I assumed she would return but she never did. About half an hour later a waiter passed our table, I was then able to order my coffee as I had no intention of standing at the bar with the ridiculous waiting times, but could have had two coffees that evening instead of one, and not had to sit thirsty for an hour or so.

The sunbed situation is a joke. I am in my late-thirties and have been abroad most years of my life at least once and some years two or three times, and I have never once succumbed to getting up at a stupid time to put a towel on a sunbed. Here there is little choice if you want to be able to keep an eye on your children while they are in the pool, as there are very few sunbeds from which you can see your children in the pool. I won't have my children out of my sight when they are in water. Although the water isn't that deep children can drown in shallow water from hitting their heads etc. so it is not safe not to be able to see them. Also as there are adults in the pool as well, it is imperative for me to see my children to ensure their safety and well-being. For a few days I did get up just after 7AM to sit with my towel on a bed until 8AM which is when you can leave the towels, but it put me in a stinking mood and the children were tired getting up so early. The times that I could not get one or two sunbeds to share between us we went out, but as we had paid for all-inclusive it was annoying and costly when we had to buy food and drinks outside the hotel. To be fair the hotel will make a packed lunch if you order the evening before but although it was a very generous size with lots in it, we didn't like it - but that is just personal taste.

The layout of the pool is such that there is only room for sunbeds around half of the circumference of the children's pool - this is what causes the issue with getting a sunbed in a position where you can keep an eye on your children when they are in the pool. The sunbeds are in rows crammed next to each other - as if in a cinema except there is no slope and you are laying not sitting next to the person on either side of you. Also as the sunbeds are all in rows with no space in between it is awkward to shuffle down the beds to get off, which for older or less physically able people is far harder or impossible. There is nowhere to put a drink or food as there are no tables and no real space in between the beds, except for a small gap between where the arms of the sunbeds end. Here you can manoeuvre your arm and bend your wrist to pick up and put down drinks under the sunbeds. It is also not nice to have to lie next to strangers so closely or for the children to lie next to strangers with no space between the beds at all. Maybe the sunbeds are set up like this during peak season only and perhaps it is not like this off peak.

The food was okay but very greasy and gave my children and I terrible wind. The benefit of this was that I did not eat very much and did not put on any weight whatsoever, and with being so cross at the situation with the hotel and some of their miserable and rude staff I went out often so walked off a lot of what I ate anyway. It is true there is a lot of choice of food at all mealtimes, and although the hot food was mainly greasy there were salads and cold meats that were not so fatty, as well as a decent selection of fruit. Breakfast was particularly varied with something to suit every palate.

The kids club was not as good as previous experiences at other hotels and there was no lively, happy, upbeat atmosphere created by the staff. At times they appeared to be writing certificates rather than interacting with the children although they did play some games it was very unstructured and generally with low energy. I got the impression the staff here as with the bar staff in the hotel, were demotivated, lacked energy and desperately needed training, and perhaps this is why on the whole we were not made to feel welcome. Overall there was a bad atmosphere in the hotel and I saw and heard many guests complaining. One family I spoke to spent all their days and evenings at another hotel enjoying their pool, kids club and evening entertainment as well as buying their food and drinks there, but it is very inconvenient to have to do this when you are staying at a different hotel.

That the hot water did not work in the shower most days was irritating. This on its own is not such a problem as it is a hot country and cold showers although not great are bearable, however under the circumstances this just added to my growing list of grievances with the hotel.

On a positive note the hotel is very clean and rooms were cleaned to a high standard as well as the communal areas. There were a couple of times I saw cockroaches in the communal areas but this is to be expected in a hot climate.

This hotel needs better management, planning and strategy in general. Reviews of layout and design (especially the pool and sunbed area, and perhaps another pool bar and/or poolside service to be introduced), services and entertainment (kids club activities and staff, location of evening entertainment) should be undertaken. Employee selection, motivation and training (with a focus on customer service, time-management and work-prioritisation) and perhaps employee retention (if it is correct that many employees left since the introduction of all-inclusive) needs to be looked at. Their introduction of all-inclusive, if this is what has caused the hotel to nosedive, needs to be reviewed, and new measures put in place to handle the higher numbers of guests at the hotel bars, pool (sunbed situation) and restaurant.

Perhaps a different experience is to be had staying at this hotel out of peak season. During peak season if you plan to use this hotel as a place to sleep only and possibly have breakfast, and spend your days out on trips and at the beach, eat your meals out and spend your nights out, then I think it's probably quite a nice hotel; it's in a good location, it's clean and most of the reception staff are very nice, helpful and friendly as are most of the restaurant staff. The rooms are dated but that wouldn't bother me. However if you pay extra for the all-inclusive option it is a nightmare. I specifically chose the Bitacora due to the great reviews it had previously received, but it seems that nearly overnight the hotel has made the giant leap from terrific to terrible.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
3  Thank LoobyLoo23

Reviewed August 4, 2010

My husband(40) and me(36) took our two boys (11 + 13) to the bitacora this July for 10 nights and had a really fantastic time. The hotel is extremely clean with a maid service daily and any faults or repairs sorted within a few hours. They wereconstantly cleaning the place and it showed sparkling from start to finish. The buffet was overwhelming with a huge variety of food for all of us. The pool attendant was very proud of his pool and could be seen morning and night keeping it clean and in good repair as were the gardens and outside area. Entertainment wasnt just for the kids, they kept the adults amused too with activities running throughout the day if you wanted to join in, certificates and prizes being handed out at the evenings entertainment which we found to be very good also.( not your usual rubbish)
We went half board because at the time of booking they only did this but on arrival you could upgrade to full board from 15 euros pp per night.
Drinks did work out expensive during the day being half board as a small glass of coke was 2.10 euros. But after a day or so we realised that the shop across the road did cold cans of coke etc for 0.60euros, so all was well.
Every 15 mins a free bus would arrive outside the hotel to take you to siam park for free but we took a taxi which the hotel ordered and took 1 minute to arrive and cost only 6euros.
Only a 15-20 min transfer from airport which was great after a long flight.
Superb weather but be warned it gets very hot in july and easily burnt in just 1hr. Sun factor 50 still gives you an ex tan. !!
The only down comment i can make is the bar staff. They don't understand a queueing system and will serve whoever they chose next and are very slow, you cannot rush them lol
I would not hesitate to go back..

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank cooperpoopers
Bitacora O, Director de Recepción at Spring Hotel Bitacora, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Thank you so much for taking the time in sending us your review of your stay
at the Spring Hotel Bitacora

We hope forward to welcoming you back!

Best regards,

Reviewed August 4, 2010

Stayed at the Bitacora countless times but this short break away was a little disapointing.The thing that always made this hotel great were the staff but since Spring hotels has introduced the All inclusive option here a lot of staff have left and the place just isnt the same and this could be the start of the end for this great hotel.I dont think the food was as good as previous years either and there is no excuse for dirty plates(which were supposed to be clean and ready for use) at the end of the buffett counters.There did not seem to be enough staff either in the restaurant,serving at the pool bar or up in the main bar with people waiting a long time to get served.I am not sure of the way forward for Spring hotels as i doubt they would get back the staff that have left even if they dropped the AI program.We are looking to go back later this year but sadly it will not be to the Bitacora.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank neilandt
Bitacora O, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Spring Hotel Bitacora, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

We feel really proud when receive comments as yours.

We always try to provide guests a memorable stay and make their experience in Tenerife unforgetable.

Thank you so much!,