“Parents just arrived back”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Gala

Hotel Gala
Newport, United Kingdom
“Parents just arrived back”
Reviewed December 4, 2013

Was initially bit worried that parents had chosen the Gala due to the area near the strip etc. time of year meant it was a bit quieter I think. They said hotel was fine, rooms fine and food excellent as was children's entertainment and evening adult shows. There is a shopping precinct under hotel and a few good pubs nearby with nice walks. It rained heavily a couple of days and marble floors ion the strip can become very slippery. Overall I think they had a great time and staff at hotel friendly and helpful,staff found out it was mums birthday and left chocolates and champagne nice touch

Room Tip: Upper floors probably better and hotel happy to change
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Celtica

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Czech first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Exeter, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

This was my first time in Tenerife ( my friend has been coming here every year for over 10 years so that speak for itself )
After getting to the hotel after what felt like a very long 4hour flight we arrived at The Gala to be told the hotel was fully booked and we were being moved to The Troya Hotel. The staff were not very helpful and couldn't really explain why this has happened and handed up a taxi slip and told us to come back at mid day to check in. We would be upgraded to full board and have free use of the spa. We had plans for the next day so they did ruin this.
Luckily our hotel was nice for our one night stay. On returning to the hotel we were greeted by nicer reception staff. However it was explained our free spa compensation was only 2 hours.
Once we got to the room we were very happy to be there. My friend had previously stayed at the hotel so knew her way around. It is abit of a maze ( well it was for me ). The lay out was funny with some rooms under the pool area. Rooms were very clean and cannot fault one bit. We luckily had a balcony as well. I Didn't like the look of the gardens below us.
We had no trouble getting a sun lounger in the morning however most went around mid day & the pool area was clean and tidy. We managed to have a very relaxing time around there.
Entertainment was very good. Went and watched the shows most nights and they didn't disappoint. Lots of things to do if you have kids aswell. The staff this year were very good with them! All seemed to be having an amazing time, however when we went none were English.
The hotel guests are mainly German and French. So be prepared around dinner time to get annoyed at them as some of the ones I encountered were incredibly rude!!
Food in general was good. I'm an extreme fussy eater so always get worried that there won't be anything I don't like. I ate like a queen most nights and only had to take a cheeky trip down to mcds one evening when there was nothing I liked.
We came to Tenerife to relax and have a chilled holiday. Not what you would expect from a 21 & 20 year old! We did find we did get a tiny bit of hassle from prs outside the hotel constantly asking us to go onto this bar crawl but nothing to annoying or bad ( barter with them if you do want to do this)
I would defiantly recommend going to the spa. We used our two hours to get out the heat one day and I haven't felt so relaxed in ages! Was lovely! Well worth the money if you pay for it!
As to drink prices I didn't think they were too bad compared to some hotels I've stayed in. We paid our room bill off every 2-3 days so we could see what we were spending. If you want a drink in the day just walk down the road to the shop and grab water or fizzy for way less than 1euro. Also alcohol is cheaper in the hotel than outside it. I discovered a glass of rosè was 2.40 euro on the last day much to my annoyance that I hadn't realised this earlier!! Cocktails were around 5 and was only spirit and mixer that was more. But let's face it for the amount you get it's not bad!
Overall I though the hotel was lovely and I will defiantly be coming back even after the palaver at the start. By the end we had completely forgotten that had even happened!
Would defiantly recommend for couples families friends!!! Old and young!!
Will hopefully be booking for next year soon!

Stayed October 2013
4 Thank Pearsey07
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 21, 2013

my daughter husband and myself have just returned from a holiday in tenerife we stayed at the gala hotel.upon arrival we were directed to the dining room but we did observe that other guests on arrival were getting a drink which was provided in reception which we did not receive.the bedrooms were clean and well furbished however my daughter encountered massive cockaroaches in her room this was reported and a maid who could not speak a word of english sprayed the room however this did not solve the problem and my daughter was frightened especially as the roaches made a horrible noise in her wardrobe.As a result of this my daughter had to sleep in our room for the last three nights.The food was definately geared towards the continental taste eg chicken in chocolate sauce and there was loads of fish on offer every night which we dont like.The waiters seemed to be run off their feet and did not really communicate dirty dishes were left for a long time before they were cleared and had to wait till tables were ready.We did not like the system of ur card being swiped and paying at the end of the week as its difficult to keep a check on what u spend.Things in the hotel were expensive and things could be bought over the road for half the price an example being a mars bar which was 1 80 euro in hotel and 90 cents at shop.We found that the staff favour the germans and french unfortunately they were very arogant and it just reinforces that were proud to be British and did not act that way.This is not our type of hotel and we will not return.I will say that the entertainment is excellent.My daughter and myself were shocked to have to pay two euros a day for the sun loungers and the spa etc is all extra all in all it was an expensive holiday.

Room Tip: ask for a room in basement as music can be very loud as entertainment is in centre of hotel
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank sexysue190736
Cork, Ireland
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I stayed at the "Hotel Gala" Sept. 2012 and again Sept. 2013 with my friends and I have to say it was excellent. The staff were so friendly and helpful and the Food was absolutely first class......every type of food you wanted. Because it was our second time staying there we got a great discount on our bill at the end of our holiday. The allocation was very good and you have a very nice beach close by.
It is definitely a 4* in my opinion.

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mona1232013
Newry, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 28, 2013

I've stayed at the Hotel Gala at least 10 times....without doubt great staff, Location, amenities, cleanliness, entertainment, Pool Area, Rooms, and excellent choice of food. You might well find that the allocated room is not to your liking on arrival, but you only have to ask for another choice and it will be grated, staff are very accomodating.....

Room Tip: It depends on each group, family or couple, we chose the lower level floors as it suited us best...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Brea2013
Ellesmere Port, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 26, 2013

The Hotel Gala is on a great location with direct access to the Playa. If you go left from the Hotel is a nice walk to Los christianos, if you go right is a really nice walk to Las Americas and Adeje. This was perfect for us with our 6mths old doughter.
However our first impression of the Hotel was quite shocking. We arrived late evening to the Hotel and we were allocated a room on the far end of the hotel. The room was dirty and the wall full with scratches, electric plugs from the wall falling out etc.. Also, this room was on the so called 2nd floor, however due to the design of the hotel it was underground. We still had a little terrace, but the pool was higher than our room, making the room extremly dark. The next day we tried to pay for a room upgrade, but it was all sold out, so requested a room change and we got a room on the 4th floor. (in reality 2nd floor) This room was significantly smaller, but it had a little view, so dayligtht came in and was clean. From here we had a great time in Hotel Gala, but you need to be prepared to have a room with no view at all, as approximetly 60% of rooms are below ground level. Also a lot of the rooms are overlooking to the main entrance where all the bus stops to pick up/drop off hotel guests. Additionally if you are located in the "middle section" of the hotel you will not get much sleep because of the night entertainment.
The staff was kind, the selection of the food was great with grill section for lunch time. The hotel mainly had western Europen tourists. (Italian , French etc..) The pool area is OK, however could be a bit bigger for the size of the hotel.

Room Tip: If you select this hotel pay for a room upgrade to a room with a view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank boldee1
Reviewed September 4, 2013 via mobile

We passed half of our honeymoon in this gorgeous hotel. Very good animation every evening, delicious food, beautiful SPA.
Also the swimming-pool was very cute!
The chefs were very brave and the menu was different every day.

• Stayed May 2013