“Budget Hotel”

Catalonia Oro Negro
London, United Kingdom
“Budget Hotel”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Just return from my 7th stay at the Catalonia Oro Negro, staff very friendly and helpful as always.
Food can be repetitive but always fresh and plenty of it. Hotel is in a good location just far enough away from the hustle and bustle but near enough to walk to it if you want that sort of thing
This may be a budget hotel but it is always full with people on return visits.
Prostitutes patrol the main road out side the hotel but this can be entertaining to watch if your not a prude. It is a good basic hotel and serves it's purpose, if you are looking for luxury then don't book hear but I certainly will be again.

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank Steve B
DomingoPerez, Director General at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this review, June 17, 2014
Dear Steve B,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our hotel with other guest in Tripadvisor.com. Our guests´ feedback helps us to continue improving our services.
It is nice to read this is your 7th stay at Oro Negro. Our repetitive guets like your are our best ambassadors.

Domingo Pérez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (581)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2014

Just returned from yet another fabulous holiday at the Oro Negro... 10/10 for value for money, whilst not as palatial as perhaps 4/5*hotels it is very comfortable, extremely clean, friendly staff and buffet meals provided excellent - as I said on a previous review 3* hotel, 4* chefs... the standard is STILL as high! Drinks prices in the bars and restaurant are VERY reasonable compared to other hotels. The hotel is in a good location for getting out and about in nearby Los Cristianos and Costa Adeje, the centre of Las Americas only minutes away. If you are heading towards Costa Adeje beware, it is quite hilly if like me you prefer walking on the flat.

I mentioned on my last visit a few plants in the pool lobby would finish off this newly refurbished area... it was nice to see these in place this visit! Furnishings in Daniel's Bar are in the process of being replaced... the 'half' of the bar completed looks fantastic, we are looking forward to seeing it all completed on our next visit, probably later in the year.

I mentioned previously that high floors, central block, overlooking the pool were nice sunny rooms.... oops.... what I failed to take into account that our previous visits have been October-December, and of course the earth moves and sun changes its position! In April the block overlooking the pool above the Restaurant seemed to get the afternoon/early evening sun. Perhaps it might be better just to request the hotel to allocate a "sunny" room dependent upon time of year you are visiting, if this is what you prefer. Needless to say, despite not having sun on our requested balcony this holiday, there are ample sun-bathing terraces and we did still have the stunning views from the balcony we have previously enjoyed!

It was good to see lots of young adults there this time, all of whom were well behaved... however I was surprised that pool games didn't seem to be included in the entertainments programmes, such as Volley Ball. If the hotel wants to encourage visitors from the younger generations, it would be good to see them included... I might be a 'senior' but I still enjoy watching people enjoying themselves...

Yes, as previous reviewers have pointed out there are a lot of the older generation who visit - but that's because after years of travelling experience we know a good deal and can appreciate good service etc when we see it. Follow our advice and don't hesitate to visit.... this is the first hotel I have ever made repeated visits to, and am looking forward without hesitation to our next visit - tried and tested as far as we are concerned!

Check out my early reviews for more details....

1 Thank Carol B
Dear Carol B,
Thank you very much for sharing again your experience in our hotel with other guest in Tripad-visor.com. Our guests´ feedback gives us support to continue improving our services and helps us go in the good direction.
It is nice to read that you liked the pants in the pool lobby and the part of Bar Daniel´s we have alredy refurnished. I hope we can finished it soon.
We have alredy added pool games as we used to do in summer
Thank you very much for your nice words, suggestions and comments

Barnsley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 7, 2014 via mobile

Me and my wife stayed at the oro negro hotel 22nd February 2014 for one week we enjoyed our stay reception area was comfortable staff on the desk were very pleasant and helpful our room was clean maid service good restaurant was well organised the food was well prepared and a good choice .the hotel in good position close to bars and shopping center

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank johnbarnsley1951
Dear John H,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our hotel. Your comments give us support to continue working to improve.
It is nice to read that you and your wife enjoyed your stay with us last february.
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 6, 2014

First some tips then my review which will focus on 1) room 2) facilities 3) food 4) staff 5) location.

How to avoid being ripped off:

This hotel charges a ludicrous €18 for 1 week or 9€ for 3 days of using a safe in the room. They also require a returnable €10 deposit (in case you steal the safe?!?)
I was staying for 10 days so I paid for 3 days safe and didn't return the key until my last day which even if I lost the deposit worked out cheaper than paying for 10 days.
As it happens they gave me my deposit anyway as the safe was still there on checkout.

Swap your meals:

With a days notice you can swap an evening meal for lunch if you are half-board and want to eat out in the evenings.

No one cares whether you are half-board or full-board:

You can just walk in for food unchallenged at any time regardless of whether you're half-board or full-board. Also, there tends to be a confused rabble outside which forms some semblance of a queue. Your best bet is to walk past this and just go sit down as no one is attending to the queue and the people in it are queuing for nothing. Very British.

1) Rooms - 2/5:

The rooms are basic but ok for people on a budget. They get very hot so you can either pay 18€ a week for air-con or just leave the door open at night. I did the latter and it was fine. The beds are substandard. 2 singles pushed together and made up individually with a propensity to roll around on their very loose casters causing any sort of contact between the two to result in them drifting to opposite sides of the room. How romantic!

The bathroom was excellent with cold and hot water, a mixer tap to achieve temperatures inbetween and high water pressure. The towels are not changed unless you leave them in the bath which is fairly standard. The walls of the bathroom and indeed the entire hotel appear to be made of paper though so say goodbye to any hope of privacy. I think I could identify our neighbours above and below by their coughing and spluttering after about day 3.

The maid service is very thorough and the room was always cleaned to a very high standard. This however takes place exactly when you are getting ready to go out in the morning between 0900 and 1000. The maids apologetically let themselves in and start cleaning around you regardless of your state of undress and either don't understand "please come later" or they usher you out of the room and out of their way.

Irritatingly there is no fridge or kettle in the room so prepare for beverages which are at ambient temperature. There is a hair drier but no iron.

2) Facilities - 3/5:

As I've already stated you have to pay for the safe and air-con which I think is absolutely disgusting.

I think the advertisement of free wifi in the reception area should be revised with a caveat that it doesn't actually work if more than 3 people are on it. Given that there was always a colony of youths congregating there who appeared disgruntled and fed up with their parents, internet access was all but impossible to achieve.

The pool is very nice and warm with plenty of sun. There are lots of sun loungers and these are released in batches at 0900, 1000 and 1100 so you don't have to worry about them being reserved. There is a strict no reservation policy enforced by a friendly life guard which works very nicely.

I didn't play any of their "organised fun" sports but by the look of the dilapidated mini-golf and crumbling play park and pool tables I think it's safe to say these would have been to a low standard.

3 Food - 4/5:

I stayed half board which included breakfast and evening meal.

Breakfast was pretty good with a selection of cereals, fruits, continental and English style cooked breakfasts. There is also an omelette bar.
Cereals - standard stuff.
Continental - nice croissants and pastries with a selection of cold meats which I didn't try.
Fruits - watermelon, grapefruit and that sort of thing but although fresh, not particularly high quality.
Omelettes - nice but only ham and cheese available as a filling. Slightly less variety than your typical omelette bar.
English style - excellent bacon cooked however you want it from crispy to ... whatever the opposite of crispy is, lovely fried eggs with a runny yolk and the option to have then cooked how you want them, awful sweet and stale Spanish bread, average baked beans and finally horrible sausages that taste like smelly feet.
Overall a good breakfast if you pick and choose what you like.

Dinner was excellent every night. There is a grilling station offering three cuts of meat a night (usually a cut of meat like steak, some kind of fish like tuna and a burger). Then there is a roast joint with delicious gravy and a selection of other dishes including vegetarian. There are copious sticks of fresh baked bread from which you cut however much you want and there is lots of lovely fresh salad. The only negatives for me were that the veg is all cooked into oblivion - total stodge, and the puddings are horrendous. They were mostly boiled pears or snot-like jelly concoctions.
A highlight was when they did steak on the grill.

4 Staff - 3/5:

I don't think I saw a single member of staff crack a smile during my entire stay. I am not going to criticise this however as they all worked really hard all day seemingly everyday in what I imagine is the most soul destroying job imaginable. They were effective and efficient and what more can you ask?

Not strictly related to the hotel but Thompson holiday rep Stacey was excellent, friendly and helpful. She knew all the answers to questions about trips and the area and helped us book a really cheap hire car.

5 Location 5/5:

Excellent location just 5 minutes from the main strip which makes it a bit quieter than I imagine some other hotels are. Being slightly set back from the strip means you get less hassle from "lookie-lookie" men who I'm certain are constantly up to no good (having seen wallets chucked in bushes where they'd been thrown after being robbed and emptied of cash). This unpleasant occurrence seems to follow these awful street hawkers, but on the upside if you want a rubbish fake Rolex just follow the litter trail of discarded stolen goods.

Conclusion:
Not bad, but not great except for dinner. I wouldn't go back but hey; you get what you pay for! (And writing this review killed some time on my flight home!)

Room Tip: The higher up the tower the room, the quieter
7 Thank 637Anon
DomingoPerez, Director General at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear 637Anon,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our hotel with other guests in Tripadvisor.com. Our guests´ feedback helps us to improve our services and avoid mistakes.
I apologize if we didn´t fulfil your expectations. We are working daily to improve our services and we take note of your comments to get improvement.
We have free fan and free Air Conditioning in all our rooms. You just need to leave a deposit of 20 € for the AC control. We will check this because I think some guests like you don´t understand it and maybe we can improve it.
In this momento we are working to put wifi in the whole hotel and to improve it. I hope in your next visit you will find it better.
We have many repetitive clients of thomsom, and we are very happy to receive them every year because they are some of our best ambassadors.
I hope to welcome you again in the future in our hotel to show you the real high quality of our services.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2014 via mobile

First impressions of this hotel were yeah not bad but not great.
The reception area was clean and the staff who greeted us were friendly enough. If you want to use wifi for your mobile or tablet this is the only place in the hotel where you can use it but at least it's free.
Our room was on the third floor but it was facing the main road. I've got to admit the road is very busy day and night with horns blasting etc all the time so if you leave the balcony door open it will bother you. We should of asked for a move but according to a sign in reception the inner rooms were at a higher rate.The room was clean and tidy a bit dated but all in all not too bad.
The pool area was well looked after and plenty of beds to go around. The pool attendant was very nice and helpful.
The bar area was spot on but a bit pricey and the dining area was excellent as was the food. Everything was fresh and every mealtime the selection of foods was outstanding. If you could be bothered to wait there was a chef cooking everything from steaks and pork chops to salmon. And the dining room staff were some of the nicest people I've ever met.
We stayed 10 nights and thoroughly enjoyed it.
I've got to mention a couple of things that were a bit on the negative side depending on who you are starting with the prostitutes patrolling around outside and actually having sex in the carpark across the road in cars which was ok when there was nothing on the telly ;).
And the noise from the cars if you slept with the doors open.
But don't let this put you off because this is a great
Little hotel and one I would visit again.
Check out the shop next door for a decent price on alcohol and crisps etc.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank borofc71
DomingoPerez, Director General at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
Dear borofc71,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our hotel with other guest in Tripadvi-sor.com. Our guests´ feedback gives us support to continue improving our services.
It is nice to read that in general you think this is a nice hotel and our staff great.
All our rooms facing the main door and Golf course have doublé window and all our rooms have fan and AC free, so you don´t need to sleep with the doors open but I agree that if you do it you have more noise.
About the problems you mention in the carpark, we are sending your comments to local autoridades and we hope that changes take place soon
We take note of your comments to get improvement.
Thank you very much for your nice words and help

Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2014

Just returned from another 2 week stay at the Oro Negro. This hotel is well situated in Las Americas and the bus stop to Los Christianos and Costa Adeje is only a short distance away. Also the hotel is approx 10/15 min walk downhill to the main shopping area and/or the sea front.
The food and service in the restaurant was excellent and you also have the option of changing from evening dinner to lunch time. Also the prices for drinks are very reasonable in the hotel.
Our room was very comfortable and clean and we noticed that the hotel were redecorating several rooms whilst we were there.
The reception, bar staff and maintenance staff were always helpful and polite.
The sunbeds are locked until 9am and 10am (pool area) and we thought this system worked very well and therefore stopped people from getting up far too early to put their towels on a sun bed.
We have stayed in several hotels in Tenerife over the past 25 years ie H10, Riu and Princess hotels and whilst the Oro Negro is not 4 or 5 stars it is very good value for money compared to these others and we have already booked again for a 2 week stay next April.

Room Tip: We asked for a high floor pool view and had a room on the 6th floor overlooking the pool which was g...
3 Thank Terence H
Dear Terence H,
Thank you very much for sharing your new experience in our hotel. Your comments give us support to continue improving and helping our guest to enjoy their holidays.
It is nice to read that you think this is a very good value hotel having stayed before in several different Hotels in Tenerife.
Thank you very much for your comments
I hope to welcome you again next april
Selby, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 2, 2014

The hotel is in a good location not far from the beach front and the safari centre which is excellent for cocktails and food..
Breakfast in the hotel was good with lots of choice..lots of older people so glad it was a little child free break as my 12 year old would have been fed up in the hotel..some refurb work going on on our floor but didn't really bother us as we were out all day, our room was nice and clean but was in need of updating too...
A good basic hotel for a cheap cheerful holiday with great weather!

3 Thank shelley f
Dear shelley f,
It is nice to read that in general you had a pleasant stay and you think our breakfast is lovely
I hope to welcome again soon in our hotel and I wish that then you will notice improvements