“Great holiday, great hotel”

Catalonia Oro Negro
Reviewed October 1, 2013

First time in Tenerife and the hotel and staff was better than expected. Special thanks to Simone, Monica and Francesco the pool side attendant who were all very helpful and always had a smile. Heard horror stories about food but can say it was delicious with plenty to choose from. Everywhere was clean, room basic but nice could do with a fridge and kettle maybe. Only negative would be lack of good entertainment. Poolside entertainment but main bar not open. However Would definitely stay there again. Lorraine, Vic and baby Alfie

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Lol-lorraine
Write a ReviewReviews (2,380)

Reviewed September 26, 2013

This was our first visit to Tenerife so didn't know what to expect. We were not disappointed. The hotel was spotlessly clean as was the pool and terrace. The staff were friendly and helpful especially Simona and Paula who are a great asset to the hotel. The food was very good with plenty of choice at breakfast and dinner. The only complaint I would have was the very limited choice of beers. My husband is not a lager drinker and the only choice he had was draught or bottled lager.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank LynW492
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Les & Elsie
My wife and I recently enjoyed a very enjoyable 7 day holiday at the ora negro. Lovely room, clean and comfortable. All the staff we met and dealt with, - reception, restaurant and room service, were all very helpful and friendly. The only, very small, detail in the room was the lack of drawers. One or two would have been nice instead instead of the open shelves. But only a very minor point. Breakfast we found very good. Selection of juices, tea/coffee, fresh and/or dried fruit, rolls, toast, cold meats and cheese. Traditional fry, - bacon, fried or scrambled eggs, sausage, mushrooms, beans. etc. Dinner also very good. Soup, often a steak and other meats, eg. chicken/lamb/pork on various nights. Fish, salmon steaks sometimes, paella, salad and a good selection of vegetables also on offer. A reasonable choice of desserts, including cheese and biscuits. No after dinner coffee, unfortunately, but could be purchased in the bar if required.
All in all, an excellent holiday, thoroughly enjoyed by both of us. We would certainly return to the Ora Negro.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank leslieallan
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This hotel was great last year but is going downhill. If you are a non smoker then do not go to this hotel. When we got to our room which was the same room as last year we almost choked on the smoke fumes and it took 3 days to be sort of acceptable. Smoking is allowed almost everywhere except the restaurant and bar. The bar terrace that has a roof over it, is a smoking area with large patio doors that are always open and lead into the bar. Last year the entertainment was sort of acceptable but this year was terrible. The staff were really good as always especially the restaurant staff. The greatest asset this hotel has is the restaurant manageress (Simona), always extremely pleasant and helpful, it's as if she loves everyone believe me. The pool is extremely clean, so is the pool area, also the hotel in general. There is free wifi in the reception area that can also be picked up in the restaurant and bar terrace.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank AIan0I
Reviewed September 20, 2013

I've just returned from this hotel and overall I had a lovely experience. It was clean and tidy, basic room but worth the money paid. Good clean pool area, plenty of choice for food if going all inclusive. In the perfect location to beach shops and local amenities. My criticism would be that main bar was never open just pool bar and no fridge or kettle in room so big inconvenience if travelling with a young baby. Would like to finish on a positive note and say a big thank you to simona who greeted me in dining area every time with a big smile, this girl deserves a promotion. She was so welcoming, excellent at her job and always went out her way to accommodate us. She is an asset to the company and made my stay so much nicer. Monica on reception was always with a smile. however, most of the other receptionist need to learn some people skills. Really enjoyed my visit and I will definitely be back next year. Thankyou

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Victoria A
Reviewed September 16, 2013

stayed here at end of august with my hubby and mum and dad. The hotel is of a great standard. Rooms were cleaned daily and fresh towels everyday too. Food is ok, but i have had better. We were half board but only because the price was reasonable. To be honest we ate out most of the time. The option of lunch rather than dinner was available which is handy. No reserving sunbeds before 10am. We requested a pool view and got it at no extra charge. All in all a good enough hotel. There are much better in the area but it was def ok for the money we paid and i would return.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Laura_Mi31
Reviewed September 15, 2013

Stayed again at the Oro Negro, this was our second time. I do love the location of this hotel, hence rebooking. I have to say this time the quality of food seemed to have gone downhill. Myself and my partner are not fussy eaters but the food was incredibly repetitive. At dinner time there was a lot of food labelled as 'meat in a tomato sauce etc', which meat I have no idea! this put me off slightly. our room also wasn't a patch on the last one. This time we overlooked a block of flats, where the people were watching us while on our balcony. I hate to say it but I wont be rebooking here for the 3rd time, there are some much nicer looking hotels elsewhere in playa.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple