“Enjoyable and Relaxing Holiday”

Catalonia Oro Negro
Ayr, United Kingdom
“Enjoyable and Relaxing Holiday”
Reviewed March 2, 2013

Just returned after spending 10 days at this hotel. Got off to a bad start due to a bagage handlers strike, but not anyones fault.
Once we got to the hotel we were welcomed by the reception staff and given our key card and quickly shown to our room. Reception staff were pleasant and more than helpful. The room was clean and tidy and a reasonable size for a hotel room. The only problem we had with the room is that the walls are very thin and you can here others in next door rooms talking or listening to the telly.Not a major problem as we dont spend a lot of time in the room but could be an issue for others also due to echoing of peoples voices in the corridors this can be annoying if you go to bed early and others come in late. Some sort of sound proofing should be considered in order that the noise can be reduced.
The beds were firm and comfortable in my opinion but others may think they are too hard but the beds are really an individuals view on whether they like a hard or soft bed.
The rooms were cleaned every day ands the beds were made every day during our stay and towels were changed daily as well once we started leaving the towels in the bath. The maids we came across either in our room or in the corridors were always pleasant.
The food at this 3* hotel was about the best we have had, we have stayed at a number of 4* half board and all inclusives over the past 7 years and I have to say the food here was really good, plenty of choice every night and did not feel at any time during our 10 day stay that it was repetative, food was always hot as well, as with other places it tends just to be warm.
The bar and lounge area was clean and tidy and the staff were always pleasant. We stayed and seen some of the shows and found them to be ok like all other hotels but again the entertainment is personal opinion on what you like or not. But I would say that the entertainment team and any acts we did see worked hard and performed well.
The pool area is a decent size but may be a bit restrictive during the summer months if families stayed here. Didnt venture into the pool itself but did here people say it was cold. The hotel was full during our stay and the system they use for releasing sun beds works better that other places we have visited. The sunbeds on the terrace area are unlocked at 9am then the beds around the pool are unlocked at 10am, this gives you a better chance of actually getting one. But it does still surprise me even when the sky is completly covered by cloud the number of ENGLISH, SCOTTISH, WELSH people who queue desperate to be first in line for a bed (No, its not just Germans that get up early for the sunbeds).
Overall, we would be happy to go back here to stay.
The only issues I had was the noise problem and I think they should consider some sort of sound proofing programme if possible but this is a problem with most hotels.
My other suggestion would be to consider reducing prices and charging people for the use of sunbeds so as to deter them from getting up early, placing a towel over the beds then disappearing for half the day.
But as I stated woulf be happy to stay here again

Room Tip: email to request a room position that suits you, they will do their best to accomodate you
4 Thank Hugh B
DomingoPerez, Director General at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this review, March 5, 2013
Dear Hugh B,
Thank you very much for your nice words. Your feedback gives us support to continue working everyday and helps us to improve our services and get our entire guests´ satisfaction.
I am pleased that in general you had an “Enjoyable and Relaxing Holiday” in our hotel and that you say our food service is “about the best we have had”. There are nice as well your words about our entertainment activities, cleanliness and friendliness of our staff.
Thank you for your comments and suggestions about Soundproofing and sun beds. We really will take them in consideration for future improvements.
Domingo Pérez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

Arrived on the 19th of feb .. First impressions of the hotel was good,nice and clean, then we was greeted by the rudest receptionist (which later turned out to be the assistant manager) then when we got to our room, 112, which is a ground floor apartment, we found our balacony door lock was broken and was able to be opened easily from the outside. Not good when the room we had was round the back of the hotel, an area which is not covered by any cameras but anyone could easily get over the pathetic fence which ran round that corner of the complex ..also in this corner of the hotel is the kids play area which by anyone's common sense should be more secure as its not visible from the pool or anything . After waiting in our room for nearly 2hrs someone came and bodged the door so it would "sort of" lock. 3rd day of the holiday we had our room cleaned, which only the bed got made and a clean towel was put in the bathroom. The bin didnt get emptied and none of the glasses where removed. The balcony had a dirty ashtray on the table which was not emptied but the cleaner found some reason to unlock the balcony door and leave it open to anyone. Didnt say anything on this occasion but when the forth day came and we had a cleaner in again and exactly the same thing happened again. I complained this time as I felt our belongings were at risk, and the receptionist said the this was of great concern and would inform the management and also have words with the cleaner ... also the glasses and rubbish STILL hasn't been removed from the room. Then on the sixth day we returned to our room to find the suitcase had been moved from the front of the wardrobe and placed near the door. Didnt think much of it at the time but then when we opened the safe we found all our belongings in the safe (passports, tickets, mobile phones, video camera, digital camera) where soaking wet!! We were dumbfounded as the were no liquids in the safe to begin with. The safe is easily removable out of the wardrobe and found on the bottom of the safe was a hole which you could easily get your finger into the safe. I went to reception and I asked if the maids have been in today. They told me the maids aren't even in today. I didn't say anything as I was still confused what had happened. On returning to the room my fiancé told me that the contents of our safe smelt like cleaning product, which it did. I thought we were being subjected to a revenge attack as we had previously complained. Enough was enough and I went up to reception to gt the number for Thompson who were booked our holiday through. As I'm walking past the reception , the same receptionist starts waving a piece scrap paper at me saying that a cleaner had left in today saying they could t get in my room as I had left the do not disturbs sign on..this all started getting strange as the sign was never put out in the first place and my coat which I had worn the previous night was still covering it up in the inside!. I told them Something dodgy is going off as all our things in the safe was ruined, she just looked at me and said do you want a towel!!. I was fuming and got the number which I first went to reception for. When I got back to the room I rang Thompson, who were very helpful and under the circumstances very understanding. They told me to fill a report out with the rep to get the ball rolling and they would phone the hotel to explain, how in their eyes too, something needs to be done about this as it does look like sabotage. I spoke to lee who works for Thompson at the hotel and he spoke to the manager. He went to my room to place a devise under the door to see at which times, if any, someone had entered the room. We didnt hear anything back from the manager till the next morning, which is the day we are leaving. He said to me that no one had been in the room all day. Funny that as it didnt pick up that we had even been back. I asked for proof of this and was told I could have a print out. It then they quickly changed their mind and they did this as they knew were had no choice but to leave at 5.15 when the coach was due to take us back to the airport. Fingers crossed for any compensation ... Cut a long story short the food is SHOCKING, if ya like brown chicken, and ya like seafood with their indereds still in tack, a swimming pool that is an ice pool, the sight of at least 50 women over 60 with only the bottom half slightly covered which puts anyone off eating the food here in the first place, this is the place for you!!!!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank Hobson6
Dear Hobson6 ,
Thank you for your comments because give us the chance to improve our services and avoid errors.
I apologize for not to have fulfilled your expectations during your stay.
I apologize as well if someone of our staff weren’t enough polite or friendly included in them I or my assistant manager. Our entire guests are very important for us.
I would like to inform you that just in from of the balcony of your room there is a Camera recording 24h/day, like another 15 cameras in another areas of the hotel.
I am really proud of our housekeeping team, and in general of all our staff, and all work hard everyday to get our entire guest satisfaction. I apologize if we had any error but never with unusual intentions. Apologize for it.
In reference to your last day in the hotel, I certify that no one entered in your room from the day before at 10:22 because the full day was advice of “no disturb” in your door. We have records of this and of course that is not problem to give you a copy.
We don’t know what happened in your safe this last day and why your things got wet but sure that no one except you and your room mate went inside of your room until you requested it in reception.
Thank you very much for the information given to us
I hope you will give us another chance to show you the high quality of our standards and another opportunity to enjoy your stay with us.
Best Regards

Herne Bay, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2013

I have just retured from this hotel i had a great time staff are wonderfull good food would recomened it. The hotel is very clean good pool area and close to all amenitys.as you can see i have given it a high rating well i have stayed at many of the 4+ hotels in the area and find it is better value,if you try this hotel you wont be disapointed.

Room Tip: room 658 corner large balcony
3 Thank frank o
DomingoPerez, Director General at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Dear frank o,
I am pleased that you had an enjoyable holiday in our hotel, and think that our staff are wonderful, the food is good and do not hesitate to recommend us. Our guests like you are our best ambassadors
I hope to welcome you again soon in our hotel. Thank you very much again.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 25, 2013

emailed this hotel regarding getting sea or pool view room the room we got was everything we asked for as we got sea and pool view. staff very helpful food very good. will go there again. only 10 minute walk to shops and bars

Room Tip: corner rooms are best
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 Thank carolboyce
DomingoPerez, Director General at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this review, February 26, 2013
Dear carolboyce,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our hotel because your opinion gives us support for our daily job.
It is nice to read that you think we are a great hotel
scotland
Reviewed February 25, 2013

arrived three days early having been on the thomson majesty when the tragic accident took the lives of five crew members allocated what must be one of the worst rooms in the hotel 103 immediately returned to reception and told them room was not acceptable. As hotel was full they said that there might be something better on thursday or friday however saw the advert for premium rooms ended up paying 20euros per night for upgrade was well worth the money

Room Tip: room1103 probably one of the best sunshine on balcony from early morning to sunset and stunning view...
2 Thank jauntyjim
Dear jauntyjim,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our hotel. Your comments give us the chance to improve our services.
First of all, my sincere condolence for the experience lived in your cruise where an accident took the lives of five persons. R.I.P.
I apologize if we couldn’t get for you a change of room on your arrival to another standard room in a high floor and other view. We always try to do our best but in high season when the hotel is fully booked changes are more difficult.
If I understand well, finally you enjoyed the upgrade to a premium room, which included extra services as well. We have few Premium rooms in order to have an extra service to guest who requests it.
I hope that after this, you had a good stay in our hotel, and that so low qualification is just because we couldn’t move you on your arrival to a better standard room. Apologize for it again.
I hope to have the chance to welcome you again in our hotel
north shields
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Have just returned from yet another holiday to this hotel.As always first class service,great food and lovely staff who all look after you very well. Our 2 grandchildren were with us and they joined in the games at the pool. The only down side of this hotel is the Pool. It is freezing and seems such a waste of a lovely pool. The children were in it once and I was too.Can this not be changed. Coming back in April/May hope it's a bit warmer then.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank liz d
Dear liz d ,
Thank you very much for your nice words. Your feedback gives us support to continue working everyday to improve our services and get our entire guests´ satisfaction. I will pass your comment to our staff.
I am pleased that you had an enjoyable Family holiday in our hotel and think we give first class service, great food and a lovely staff who look after you.
Thank you for your comment about swimming pool water temperature, we will check options to improve it the future. I hope in your next stay in April it will be warmed.
Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel, arrived 19th Feb to find we had been allocated what we thought was going to be a nice room in a nice part of the hotel room 531, corner room with view of sea. Our first 2 days and nights was ok, but to our horror 3 lads from England moved into room 529 next door, during the early afternoon on the day of thier arrival the loud banter and continous cigarette smoke from balcony started to occur, then during early hours of the morning more noise, so hardly any sleep. The following night at 11.30pm we were woken up by very loud banging, sounded as if furniture was being broken this continued for over an hour. The lads then went back out, so hubby and I managed to get back off to sleep. To our horror it all started again at 4.00am and lasted for over an hour, another night with very little sleep.

My husband and I decided we had to report ohe situation to reception next morning as it was starting to spoil our holiday. Reception informed us that no other rooms were available, I then asked if one of the superior rooms was available, it was but at an extra cost to us of 60 Euro. We felt we had no alternative but to upgrade as we couldnt face another night of unrest.

During the fifth day of our holiday (day after our move) we were sat in reception at 11pm only to hear the receptionist (same gentleman who dealt with our complaint and move) telephone to ask someone to stop making a noise in thier room, guess what it was from the same 3 lads who very shortly after the call reported to reception to say it was early and they were on holidays!!!

I'm dissapointed that we weren't offered the upgrade at a lower rate considering the circumstances especiially as there were no other rooms available, it wasn't as if we were unhappy with our original room, we had to change so that we could sleep at night.

My husband and I are not stick in the muds, we are in our late 40s and early fifties. We feel sorry for the guests who are going to have to put up with thier behaviour for the next few nights until they check out.

• Stayed February 2013
1 Thank shellycocker
Dear shellycocker,
Thank you very much for your feedback because it gives us the chance to improve our service and avoid errors.
I apologize for the noise concerning to room 529 because I understand this upset you. We always try to do our best in these situations and if we had another standard room free we had moved you. I hope you enjoyed the upgrade to premium room and could enjoy the rest of your stay with an extra comfort and what is more important without noise.
I am pleased that in spite of this situation you say we are a nice hotel, and I hope to welcome you again soon
Domingo Pérez
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa de las Americas
Mediterranean Palace Hotel
#15 of 58 in Playa de las Americas
TRYP Tenerife
TRYP Tenerife
#6 of 14 in Los Cristianos

Been to Catalonia Oro Negro? Share your experiences!