“Service was great” 3 of 5 bubbles

Catalonia Oro Negro
Brentwood, United Kingdom
“Service was great”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2012

Hotel rooms are a little dated. However bathroom with full size bath, lots of hot water. Rooms cleaned every day. Bed was a little hard for me, but room 207 was quite big. T.V. in room 4 english channels. Sun on balcony in the afternoon. Hotel is on the main road and it takes 5 mins to walk into centre of Las Americas. Hotel food is good, always beef, fish n chicken served every night. Desserts the same most nights but ok, fruit, cheese, jelly, ice cream and fruit salad tinned. Had a problem with the lock on room inform them on the way down to breakfast, fixed by the time we returned from breakfast. The staff n hotel try very hard to make you stay enjoyable. Resturant needs to have music piped in to it, table are scratted a roon the room, so you have lots of people walking around you. Went from 15th nov to 22 nov 2012, heat +24 - 29ish, started to get a little chilly at night last couple of night before we went home. We booked half board, breakfast was conitental, full english plus ommlets cooked fresh every morning. Overall a nice chill out holiday. Husband went 20 years ago, changed from then, they have humunized it now, lots of green walk ways. Avoid walkways at night, as you would at home, keep to main streets at night. Did check trip advisior reports before booking hotel, only found 1 small cockroch in our room, never seen any other around hotel at all.

Room Tip: Room 207, was quite a large room, on the end. Sun in the afternoon on balcony, a quite room overloo...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank angelahawkins1
DomingoPerez, Director General at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this review, November 27, 2012
Dear angelahawkins1,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our hotel. Your comments give us the chance to improve our services. We work hard every day to get all our guests’ satisfaction and our guest’s feedback helps us to go in the right direction. Your suggestions will help us. I hope in your next visit your will appreciate improvements.
I hope to welcome you again soon in our hotel
Domingo Pérez

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (562)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

We have stayed at the Oro Negro on many occasions over the last four years even recommending it to family and friends. The main reasons for our continued visiting were the cleanliness and the very good food (Half-Board option). Whilst on this visit the Hotel was still extremely clean the standard of the food had gone decidedly downhill. The evening Dinner choices were uninspiring, repetitive and on two occasions just so wrong!! I'm talking about Fish Fingers as a main dish (dry and hard) and what was intended to be a Shepherd's Pie but looked like mash on top of gravy!! I'm no culinary snob and I'm sure many people enjoy the odd fish finger back at home but to be offered this in a 3 star hotel and having paid a fair amount of money for the holiday just seems like they are taking a lazy option. This is a country remember where the fresh fish is plentiful and delicious.
Just a couple of other observations regarding the replenishment of Breakfast items. If the eggs were there - the bacon wasn't and vice versa. People were waiting up to 10 minutes for an omelette to be cooked.
My final disappointment regarding the Restaurant was the way I was spoken to by the young woman who seats you. I apparently did a terrible thing by walking up to her before she had waved me forward! I was told "No you must wait till I call you we are short-staffed and very busy" Sorry but neither problem is my fault and there is surely a way of saying what she wanted to say politely without making me feel like a chastised schoolchild. Fellow holidaymakers we spoke to even suggested that when this woman had her time off the Restaurant ran smoothly and more efficiently.
It's sad that the hotel has disappointed us as we have had really good times there but I don't think we will visit again - there are many good hotels in Playa de Las Americas.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Favisse
DomingoPerez, Director General at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Dear Favisse,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our hotel in Tripadvisor. Your comments give us the chance to improve our services and avoid mistakes. I Sorry that you after some visits to our hotel didn’t enjoy so much your stay last time, we continue working everyday to get our guest full satisfaction. Thank you for your comments about food, you can be sure that we will pass on your comments to our Chefs because we are proud of our very good food and restaurant service and want it continue in a high level. I would like to apologise if you felt someone was rude or not polite enough with you in the restaurant, but when the hotel is full if there is not an order in restaurant is very difficult to work and to give the good service that we try to give
I hope you will give us another chance to show you we still have a high standard of services
Waiting to welcome you soon again in our hotel
Durham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

For our 1st visit to Tenerife my wife and I stayed at the Catalonia Oro Negra for the week Sat 27th October to Saturday 3rd November 2012. The hotel itself is situated away from the sea front and is on the upper edges of the resort, this is ideal for us as we like to walk around alot. We stayed half board at the hotel and the food was really good and plentiful. You could buy a bottle of house white with your evening meals fo 5.50euros, which I feel is good for a hotel.The Hotel was clean and well ran, and all the staff where very polite and helpful. We stayed in a room on the 2nd floor facing the pool area which we found to be very good. The room was clean and well maintained, although you had to pay for airconditioning if you required it. Entertainment at the hotel was done by a team and some nights it was really good. The only downside is that on a morning the " oldies " placed their sunbeds in most of the best spots unless you beat them at their own game.The local supermarkets sold very cheap drink which you could bring into the hotel to consume,but not in the restaurant.We are returning in Feb 2013.

Room Tip: If you want a view choose 10th floor,or otherwise go for a pool view on lower floors.
6 Thank david1029
DomingoPerez, Director General at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Dear david1029,

Thank you very much for your nice comments. Your satisfaction motivates us to keep working every day to improve our services and satisfy all our guests. I am very pleased that you had a good first visit to Tenerife and first stay in our hotel, and enjoyed our hotel’s services, cleanliness, food quality and entertainment activities.

Thank you very much for your feedback

I sincerely hope to welcome you again soon in our hotel.

Linlithgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

My partner and myself have stayed several times at the Oro Negro, and have always enjoyed our stay. We love the food which is always fresh and a wide choice of dishes to choose from. We were half board.
We requested a high floor room looking onto the Golf Course which we got!! The room was fantastic had a nice large balcony looking onto the Golf Course, fantastic view.
We like the location of the hotel as we go to the beach everyday and either walk to los Cristianos or la Vista Beach.
All staff at the Hotel work really hard and aim to please, have no faults with the Hotel and will be returning Soon fingers crossed.

Room Tip: We like a high floor room looking onto the Golf Course
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank 79WendyH79
DomingoPerez, Director General at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
Dear 79KarenM79,

Thank you very much for your nice comments. Your feedback motivates us to continue working every day to get our entire guest’s satisfaction. I am very pleased that you had enjoyed your stays in our hotel, and that you felt comfortable between us. I will pass on your comments to our staff.

I hope to welcome you again soon

Thank you very much again for sharing your experience and comments.

Louth
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012 via mobile

Just back from a weeks stay here in November. Good location but might be a struggle for people with mobility problems as its up a steep hill.! We went full board and have no complaints about the food but had an issue when my 3 year old son got a drink from the vending machine right outside the restaurant and was happily drinking away when one of the restaurant staff came up to tell us that we were not allowed bring our own drink in (this was on day 4!!! After bringing a drink in every other day - just for the toddler I might add, we purchased drinks for ourselves!!). This ruined the whole meal for us as we felt like criminals even though it was purchased just right outside the restaurant!!! Stupid place to put a vending machine in my opinion!

Not much of an atmosphere in the restaurant apart from on our last night we were given a complementary bottle if cava with 3 guys playing music and singing which was a nice touch. Ever other night it felt like you we're in a canteen.

Apart from that I can't fault the restaurant staff as they always found us a table very quick! Our room had 2 bedrooms which was brilliant and cleaned daily.

Toddler pool is good but kind of away from everything and really have to laugh at everyone scarpering for beds as soon as they are unlocked!! Hilarious!!

The only downside is the entertainment for kids, as there was none!! My little fella was quite bored so brought him to the beach most days. The evening entertainment was enjoyed by the oldies but again nothing for children, maybe it was the time if year we went and it might be better in the summer.

We will return to tenerife but will stay closer to the beach in playa las vista as its a lot nicer there.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank lanz07
DomingoPerez, Director General at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this review, November 18, 2012
Dear lanz07,
Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our hotel. Your comments give us the chance to improve our services. We work hard every day to get all our guests satisfaction. In reference to the vending machine, just say that is sited there because it is next to the swimming pool´s area and our guest can get a drink easy when they having a sun bath but not for the restaurant service. I sorry you didn’t enjoy our entertainment for children. It is really that in this season of the year more of our guests are adults but we have a entertainment team to cover different age’s needs. We will pass throw to our entertainment team manager your comments.
I hope you will give us another chance to welcome you again in our hotel yours sincerely,
south coast
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2012

Returned on Tues Nov 6 after 14 nights stay, we had a high room with superb views of the pool and Las Americas, the staff with out exception were polite, helpful, and nothing was too much trouble. If you have mobility problems it may not be the best choice to stay here as it is up hill from the seafront. All in all we could not fault it as a couple in our seventies and been far afield. As far as getting sunbeds in morning our first week NO problem as mainly spanish were staying there, second week was mostly Brits and that was when they were waiting on mass for the beds to be unchained. Germans and towels---- NO WAY--- Brits beat em easily. It was a laugh watching them from high up, and if you can't beat em we joined them. Great Holiday.

8 Thank bungi1
DomingoPerez, Director General at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear bungi1,

Thank you very much for your nice comments. Your feedback motivates us to keep working passionately every day in order to satisfy our guests. I am very pleased that you had an enjoyable stay in our hotel and that you think our hotel is the best hotel you have stayed in. I will pass on your comments to our staff. I sincerely hope to welcome you again soon in our hotel.

Thank you very much again for sharing your experience and comments.

plymouth devon
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2012

just returned from 4 night stay after cruise had to wait quite a while for room to be ready but was satisfied when got it. weather was not brillent but food was good went early for meals other wise would have to queue for table. only bug bear was the people who were queueing from 8am to about 9am for a sun bed even waiting for the beds to be unchained. it made it a case of up early to get a bed or end up with out one and the same people laid claim to the same spots every day then went off for few hours ?? why ? apart from that it was alright.

3 Thank joraywalt
DomingoPerez, Director General at Catalonia Oro Negro, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Dear joraywalt
Thank you very much for sharing your experience in our hotel in Tripadvisor. Your comments give us the chance to improve our services. I would like to apologize for the delay in giving your room during check in, but when the hotel is full we need time to get rooms ready because check out time is until noon. For this reason we can’t guarantee rooms until 2 pm, but we always try to do our best. In reference to sun beds, thank you very much for your opinion, we will check if is possible to improve our control over it.
I hope to have the chance to welcome you soon again in our hotel yours sincerely,