“never again”

GreenLeadersGold level
west yorks
“never again”
Reviewed August 23, 2009

i have just returned from columbus hotel what an absolute dump. surrounded by club 18-30 although the rep denied this. room was absolutely filthy not even very basic hygiene applied. pool good about the only thing good on this site. I would return to tenerife but not to columbus

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (919)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
dalton lancashire
Reviewed August 12, 2009

I had read all the reviews and was slightly worried. We had not got a cheap deal and had choose the hotel for its location and because we had a 17 and an 18 yr old. Let me start with the all inclusive. We were made to feel like 2nd class citizens. We had to sit on separate tables in the restaurant. We had tissue serviettes and plastic table mats, paying guests had linen.
Yes you can only get 2 drinks and from only one bar and the selection of spanish spirits in limited - not the full range. When Tascas bar is shut ,you have to trolley into the restaurant. Also if you want a snack you have to eat in Tascas not take it out to the pool, unlike paying guests!
In general the staff were miserable and on some occasions rude. We are in a world recession and holiday makers are customers and guests. We were treated as though they were doing us a favour. Very unhelpful except Sue the waitress/barmaid.
Food is Ok, Rooms very dated as is hotel in general. looks like something from the 70s.
Pool is large and no probs getting a bed. They lock them up until 9.45 am. At 6 pm they close the pool and start stacking the beds.
The noise at night is very bad, doors slamming, street noise, parties in rooms. Twice we had to call security (who is hopeless) to stop a party of 16 spaniard teenagers in one room music blasting, running around, shouting in corridors
Entertainment is ok. No music round pool. Life guard constantly blowing his whistle for no particular reason. They seem to clamp down on any kind of fun or noise during day, but at night it is a free for all.
There are a lot more decent 3 star hotels in tenerife. Take heed do not book this one. It is poor. I would not go even if I was teenager. Defo not for young families, romantic couples or elderly. Not even fun for teenagers

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Playa de las Americas hotels

glasgow
Reviewed August 11, 2009

Rooms are very basic, no air con,maids make the beds but do little else floor not cleaned in 2 week stay,if ur in the 2nd building u will be sleeping on camp beds and the mattresses are shot we had too speak to the reps 3 days running before something was done,useless reps!! unless ur female 36dd and 19yrs old they wont speak with u,bar is expensive and if ur all inclusive they make u sit inside the hotel,the food was ok basic but ok,the gym,italian resturante,the 2nd bar, the roof pool,where all closed, the hotel is still used ALOT by 18-30 reps run bar crawls and foam partys naked guys running around hotel at all hours

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
IL0VEH0lidays7
Reviewed August 10, 2009

When me and my boyfriend and my 10 year old daughter enterd the hotel we were quiet shocked! It looked better then in the pictures! The pool is very big but noone is hardly in it. The back pool is very nice but as columbus hotel sprays cockroach spray every evening in the night you may come across dead ones along side the pool. Evening entertainment was O.K... I enjoyed watching people sing at kareoke night... My daughter said the childrens disco was very boring only for kids about 3-5. Most entertainment was great! Alll Insclusive was DELIOUS. Eat all you want...Very tasty!! I liked the thought of cards instead of keys but at one point are card wasnt working but in the end we sorted that out!
Location was great. To walk to the beach is takes about 5 minutes walk to the beach. The beach is very nice the waves are awsome and it is a great place to surf. There are many shops around. In the evening because you have all insclusive youngsters drink alot so you cannot pass along to the other building! If your a fan of footy i think you have about 2 tv's. Apartments where abit dirty they didnt really clean up propely. They woke you up in the morning!! i mean come'on its a holiday for relaxation!! You have a tv in the apartment ... THAT YOU HAVE TO PAY FOR. I think it was like you enter 1 Euro and watch tv for like 30minutes! When my daughter was sleeping my boyfriend saw a dead cockroach under her bed. Beds are not compfortable. My boy friend had to sleep on a sofa bed.. Which is really dusty and low on the floor so cockroaches can reach. We had some trouble as we booked a double bed and a single bed but we turned out with to single beds and a sofa bed. Bring lots of sun cream as we walked around the beach and then got back all red and burnt! While your their i would recomend SIAM PARK to all water lovers. Some stuff are pretty scary so i would say if your with little kids dont come as they would have to sit out. Loro Park Is for the whole family! Is was amazing! There where dolphin shows and on each dolphin show 1 lucky kid got to swim with the dolphins!! Lots and Lots of shows!! And lots of great animals!! if you do go out for the day and you will not make it back for lunch dinner.. Or if your going early and wont eat breakfast.. The day befor you leave tell the reception you want a pack lunch. there not that nice but there eatable.. Basiiccly they will give you Orange,Banna,Full Baggett,Water,Ham & Cheese(in packets to add into the baggett.),Butter,Jam(is there so if you dont like ham or cheese you make a jam baggett... They still give you the ham and cheese.. This is per person btw!! Let me tell you now dont get shocked when you see cockroaches cause there everywhere!! The weather is always hot and stuffy so where short sleeves,shorts,polo shirts. the hotel you has a shop(u need to exit the hotel). in the hotel you have a hair dresser,Washing machines (MUST PAY). Most staff are nice but in the bar they are very rude and do not help you with your problems. Sadly you can only take 2 drinks even all insclusive!! Bar closes at 12 on the dot! I find it sad that they dont really listen to the kids but show respect to the adults! My daughter and her friend went to the bar at like 11:57 ( they where closing early!!) the guy shut the gates and my daughter and her friend rushed to the gates... The man got at the gates at the same time and my daughter asked for a drink first and then the man asks for a a beer and he goes and gets it.. When the man comes back he only has the beer and then says sorry your to late! In the evenings you might get abit bored so i recomend going out for a walk and seeing the nightlife.. Its really nice kids could go into pubs and stuff and they get free food and drink!! There is always something happening in all the bars and pubs like there was elvis singing two men..(the wild boys.. I recomend going theree!) They sing and twist songs to make them funny! You could also nip into another hotel the other near by ones are very nice.. Everynight we went to a diffrrent hotel for their evening entertainment . We went to one and some women and a man on a guitar where dancing tango. It was very nice!! Snake show at columbous when we was there wasnt such a hit. The man chose a little girl to hold the snake ... And the snake wrapped around her hands soo tight! The people who actully took part in holding the snakes got their picture for FREE! To buy a picture was such a rip off!! To buy anything their you would have to throw out a good 25 euros.. Its cause of all the tourists. Sand colour is : Dirty Brown :I
Overall... I luv it & i would go again! Guys well what can?.. i say i would recomend this hotel! My rating out of 10... 8/10 would be 10/10 BUT cockroaches... & Rude Staff. Hope this helps you have a feel of hotel columbous and stuff around it!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
2 Thank IL0VEH0lidays7
london
Reviewed August 8, 2009

After i booked the holiday at columbus i came across some BAD REVIEWS! and i was not happy about it! dont get me wrong there were a few good ones but a few people described it as the worst holiday ever.... When me and my boyfriend got there it was not way i thought it would of been meaning people over egzagerated in saying it was the hotel from hell! The hotel could do with updating but i thought it was pretty good.We had the 5th floor so didnt hear much noise, and only found 3 cockcroaches on the balcony the whole 10 days we stayed.the cleaners do come and clean everyday but after they sweep the floor your feet do become black!! (so make sure you pack your flipflops!!) We done self catering and im pleased i did that because there are loads of restuarants and fairly cheep! and great food!! swimming pool area was nice and again not like people said it was like.When you book the holiday on line...the hotel does look better than what it is but i still wouldnt say its the worst hotel! The one downfall is that theres no air con so it does get really hot at night but you can hire a fan! i had a great time, me and my boyfriend are planning to even move there!! so dont be put off my the bad reveiws!
suitible for all ages in my opinion.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LondonCandy
Sheffield
Reviewed July 27, 2009

I stayed here 6 years ago on a girls holiday and to be honest was worried when i read some of the reviews that it was not not the well equipt place it once was.

lets be honest after a miserable time 2 years ago in a different Hotel I went for something I knew. I booked with Thompsons and Chose the Columbus.

Its not quite the all singing all dancing place it used to be with all of the charecter bars and restaurants now closed as It is trying to be an all inclusive and clearly the other bars and restaurants were not making money. Thats just a guess.

We stayed for 10 days and our room was cleaned every day and fresh sheets put on the bed either every day or every other day depending on how the sheets looked.

There were organised activities every day with water polo in the pool every week day organised by the staff.

You do get dirty feet if you walk around on the tiles without shoes and if your on the front of the hotel the road is noisy with buses and lorrys starting the day early and drunk people shouting at the early hours of the morning. we had to keep our balcony door open at night as it was so hot I dont think it would have been too bad if it was cooler.

The location is really good basically in the middle of everything.

All the staff were really friendly and our reps were amazing.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
tenerife
Reviewed July 25, 2009

I went on this holiday for 2 weeks i was so looking 4ward 2 it and thought tenerife would be brilliant.when we got to the hotel the people wasnt very helpfull with helping us up the stairs with our cases,or to our rooms.The cleaners came around once or twice a week didnt really do much.We tried getting sunbeds by the pool everyday, but couldnt you litrally have to be up about 6 in the morning!the security guard has an absoloute attitude and gave evil looks the whole 2 weeks.Then we got fined 100 euros because we was playing music off of our phones which was not loud,and it was about 7 in the evening so wasnt late.Im young myself but being woken up at half 5 in the morning everyday is just wrong,people were slamming doors,arguing,screaming,running up and down hall ways.I would not recommend this hotel to anybody.WORST HOTEL IVE BEEN TO..

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends