“Shocking customer service”

Kn Columbus Aparthotel
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed December 16, 2013 via mobile

On arrival to at the hotel we was greeted by the front desk staff who was abrupt and rude from the start. Not sure if it was maybe the fact we were 4 lads on holiday and they thought we were going to be trouble, on various occasions we spoke to the front desk for advice and also due to power cuts there which were happening often we wanted to know when the power was on. When we asked, again very abrupt. The bar staff, cleaning staff were very nice and helpful though. The hotel in my view is very basic, not complaining as we just wanted a bed and wash room as we were out of the hotel half the time. I do not think I would stop here again on solely the way we were spoken to by the front desk which is shame.

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Carl A
Write a ReviewReviews (4,025)

Reviewed December 14, 2013

just got back 13 ,12, 13. reading the reviews before we left,. left me wandering if i should have booked somewhere different. Let me start with the so called bad mannered staff. What bad manners, i found the staff very polite and friendly, someone said to me that the bar man was ignorant. he didn't say please or thank you, 99%of the time he did except when very busy, (400 rooms ) you want a drink , he wants to serve you and then serve the next ,some would complain if the service was slow, it was not. The food in the restaurant may not be appetizing to look at but we found it to be good , steak 3 times in one week, roast pork ,always fish on offer. breakfast one of the best we have ever had.whatever you have is of good quality. teenage kids may not find what they want. its not MacDonalds. The rooms are clean and better than expected, Look out for the guy who run the day time games hes a good laugh. Only down side , yes the pool is cold and if you want the TV you have to pay , Overall you get what you pay for , if you want 4 star then pay extra and go somewhere different , Yes we would go back to this hotel. value for money at the price we paid . Graham and Jenny 50s couple

Room Tip: rooms in other building opposite reception better
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank graham c
Reviewed December 13, 2013

I am just back from staying in the columbus hotel in playa de las americas. Reading all the bad reviews on here i thought some people were a little fussy and over reacted. I like to make the most of things and always try to find the bright side of a situation. But this was just laughable. We arrived at night, and went up to the desk to find a very arrogant, unhelpful man behind the desk. We had booked two rooms, one twin and one double. We asked if we could have them near eachother but we werent aloud as twin and doubles are on different floors. When we got to our room which was the twin it was a tinny little old fashioned room with two single beds pushed together, we had a melted toaster to use, all our dishes were marked with some sort of black substance and when i looked into the bathroom, our towels were disgusting i dont think they have ever had a good wash before. Jumping into the shower the water started filling the bath which did this the rest of our holiday. The first day we went down to the main pool to enjoy the sun except there was no sun because of the way the building is built there is a tiny area where everyone fights to get some rays. The pools were beyond freezing. The rest of the holiday we spent as much time out of the hotel as we could it was that terrible. On the last day we had a night flight again, and we were chucked out of our room at 11, we asked about other facilities and we were told "There are facilities in place" that was all, trying to get more information was like drawing blood from a stone. When we saw the "Facilities" we were that furious we were willing to pay out to get a room for the day, showers and toilet all in the same room which i dont think had ever had a clean. When we asked about another room we were told no there were none. I will never in my life go back to this hotel it was not what we payed for.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank RachelMD5
Reviewed December 12, 2013

Right ok well let me start by saying I don't like writing bad reviews about places but this is an exception, me mum n dad were here in September this year (2013) for 2 weeks last week in sep and first week in October, we arrived at night had a family room first few nights our air con didn't work so we had to keep balcony door open, my friend had a studio room to herself one night she noticed baby cockroaches in her room so phoned down someone came up sprayed insect spray or whatever used to clear them out this triggered her asthma and she had to sleep down in reception because they refused to give her another room for the night, shocking!
Food wise it was lovely apart from a few mornings where parts of breekie were clearly raw but they were still serving it!
Facilites were good there is a gift shop within hotel grounds, pools are good gym is good, pools are well maintained, must admit the 8am sun lounger dash in mornings were entertaining never seen anything like it in my life!!
Location wise is far enough away from the strip but still very lively at night and during day, within walking distance to beach n shops/shopping centre (safari).
Hotel itself was imacuatly clean part from rooms lol, entertainment team or animcation team as they are called were fantastic John is so entertaining he's brilliant and Carly ( think that's her name) the suncream girl every day at near enough same time she would be round pool talking bout her skincare lol she was nice, Angela the pr manager was lovely woman dead friendly and helpful, trips we had whilst in las Americas were Siam park which was fab, loro parque good as well, the most annoying thing walking about day/night was the african people selling stuff avoid avoid avoid is all I can say one of them ran after my friend just cos she wouldn't buy something from them they are honestly everywhere, it was far too hot for me basically 30 for 2 weeks which by second week triggered my eczema so I know not to go abroad at that time of year lol on whole you'd think young people making it lively oh no it was 40/50 year olds showing us young ones how to party which I was surprised at because I was half expecting young people bouncing about so on whole rooms were crap hotel clean food basic location good but I'm sorry I shall not be returning in future sorry to say!!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LauraCrighton
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Stopped in this hotel with my girlfriend in first week of December. Both a little apprehensive after reading some reviews on here. Which in my opinion don't know how people can rate this hotel so low. We got a good all inclusive deal at a reasonable price. If you want 5 star accommodation pay for it.
Check in was a little slow but we was near front so took us about 25 minutes but some took a lot longer and wouldn't of been too impressed but what could the staff do? 2 computers and 3 coach loads of people all turning up at once.

After getting checked went to room. In the second block facing the pool, to find a nice clean room. Worried for nothing. Maybe could of done with a good mop but the room was spot on. Maids came in ever day. And if you wanted fresh towels or bedding they changed them.

Food was fairly good with quite a wide range for everyone. Not going to be outstanding as it a 3 star if you want better pay for it.
Service was excellent by all the staff. Drinks was served in halves but could always get 2 at once so no hassle there. Snacks were good.

Never once saw any bugs or cockroachs in the hotel complex.

One disadvantage is the pools. Both freezing as didn't get sun because blocked by buildings but what can you expect in December.

Only saw night entertainment once which was good. Bingo followed An eagle show and disco.

Overall I had a good experience and would definitely stop there again.
Don't usually write reviews but after reading so many bad ones thought the hotel deserved some credit as I thought it was very good.

• Stayed: December 2013
4  Thank rcf88
Reviewed December 10, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks and have to say it was brilliant. The staff were lovely. House Keeping was great. Reception staff were helpful and made you feel welcome. The resturant was fabulous with excellent staff. There is 1 person I would like to thank for a fabulous holiday. Her name is Hollie and she was the rep for thompson for that hotel. She made our holiday and was very very lovely and helpful. She works really hard at what she does. We went to see teide by night and that was amazing. Would definitely recommend this hotel. Kat n Paul. (Sheffield)

Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Katrina D
Reviewed December 9, 2013

Arrived after having traveled all day for it to take an hour and a half to check in, the que was from the reception desk to the back door, to say people where getting annoyed would be an understatement. After an hour or so hotel security where called as people where quite rightly getting very frustrated! When we got to the reception desk they didn't even apologise for the wait and we found the majority of reception staff quite rude, with the exception of Manuel.

When we eventually got checked in we where allocated room 451 in the main building, we where a little apprehensive having read the previous reviews but where pleasantly surprised. Yes the decor is quite old fashioned but for 3 star accommodation it had everything you needed. We did not see one insect the whole time we where there in the hotel. There is no air con in the self catering apartments but in Nov/Dec this isn't a problem but in the summer I would imagine it is unbearable.

I would agree with the majority of people that the cleaning is a major down fall of this hotel, your feet are black after having walked around for a while, the cleaners have definitely not mopped the floors for a long time, when they do come in to clean the only thing we could find they had done was make the beds as there where stills crumbs etc on the floors. Our apartment was next to the busy road that many people complain about it never woke us once.

The majority of other guests who where complaining said themselves they usually stayed in 4/5 star accommodation, so I am not really sure why they choose 3 star and expected it to be exactly the same??

Overall the hotel is in a great location, has everything you need and you get what you pay for!!

Tip - For a lovely meal and brilliant steak try Martini restaurant which is a 2 minute walk from the hotel, the staff are lovely and food is amazing, I would recommend to everyone.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends