“bed bugs from hell!”

GreenLeadersGold level
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“bed bugs from hell!”
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I am a 21 year old female, my partner is a 23 year old male.
when booking this hotel I checked trip advisor and found brilliant comments, therefore me and my partner were excited about our chosen holiday. weeks before arriving I decided to check trip advisor again to show my mom some pictures and I came across some terrible reviews about bed bugs and noise from the hotel, explaining that the hotel should be 18-30's ... I was horrified. however I was told to ignore the reviews and enjoy myself as everyone expects different things.

on arriving at the hotel we saw that it was very clean, the hotel receptionist was incredibly grumpy and did not explain things to us well, he was also speaking In Spanish to other people while dealing with us which I felt was extremely rude.
when we found our room we were pleased with what it looked like .... then ... my partner sat on his bed and it threw him up into the air, his bed was broken and remained broken for the remainder of the whole stay. whenever he moved in his sleep the bed would throw him around. on our first night we were woken several times by groups of girls screaming in the hall way to each other and slamming doors shut, I was then woken twice by two couples having you know what - not fun!

Tenerife itself is a beautiful place to visit, we had fun times at the local bars and siam park.

the food at Columbus is standard - very basic and repetitive all week, we ate out several times.

the beds were not clean - NOT CLEAN!!!! I was always itchy in my bed and then one night I found a bug crawling on me. each night after this I checked my bed thoroughly for bugs. the sheets were strained and smelled and I did not enjoy sleeping in them. then me and my partner came out in small red bumps all over our body - which we discovered are bed bug bites! I was horrified and disgusted - I had previously read reviews on this however just felt it was people moaning. now I know that this hotel isn't as clean as it appears, it is dirty and smelly and crawling with bed bugs.

I would never return to this hotel and the other couples we spoke to said the same thing.

please do not be put off about visiting Tenerife as I would definitely return again, however just to a different hotel - ONE WHICH IS CLEAN AND DOES NOT LEAVE ME AND MY PARTNER COVERED IN DISCUSTING RED BITES - FROM BED BUGS!!!!!

vile place to stay - 100% do not recommend to anyone!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
8 Thank billie m

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (922)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Brighouse, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

I visited here with 9 others of my friends (we are all age ranged from 18-20) and stayed in self catering apartments. Noise was never a problem for us, apart from maybe one or two nights with people running up and down corridors, however there is security who follow up on catching them. We had three rooms on floor 5 which were all clean, tidy and nice and brightly decorated. We then had two rooms on the 2nd floor, one of which was a apartment that sleeps 4. these again were both clean and tidy, however in the 2 bed room we found it quite dark, although it was bigger than the other three rooms. the apartment was again clean and tidy. we had maid service almost everyday, however we did have problems with towels not always replaced, due to them not having enough or them being in the wash, we had to ask at reception a few times. Overall the rooms were surprisingly nice and I didn't see any cockroaches around the hotel.
As we were self catering we did not stay in the hotel much, we didn't use the restaurant or the bar, we found these to be queued with all inclusive people anyway.
We found reception staff to be very pleasant and helpful on arrival and through-out the holiday. we were greeted and check in very fast to say what a big group of us there were, as well as other arriving passengers. We were also surprised to be greeted straight away by the Thomson rep who visited us in our room shortly after. He discussed different excursions that we could book down in reception, about the area, about the hotel and other such 'need to know' things. We were able to book there and then our excursions so we didn't have to sort things through-out the week.
The strip was a mere walk down the road, which was lined with restaurants, and turn right to get to the main bars and clubs they have to offer. if you turn left there are a few nice market shops but nothing worth a day doing. However be careful! a member of our group was unfortunately involved in a hit and run which led to him having his lip bust open and several stitches!! The beach was easily accessible through small pathways leading on to the sea front, however we found the beach straight down to be hard sand and it was difficult not the get skinned alive by the rocks leading in the sea. a short walk along to the right proved well worth it. we found a lovely soft black sand beach, however is very crowded and we found many people coming up to us asking if we wanted to buy half a melon or other such fruits and massages! GO AWAY! there were also many 'lucky lucky' men always around bothering tourists.
Nor did we use the pool more than twice! the facilities is lovely however there are no sun beds!!! unless you are to get up at 8.00 and 'bagsy' some you have no chance. looking around the hotel we found the sun terrace on the top of the second building to be absolutely lovely! however, it was far too hot, with no showers or shading, also there were only around 2 sun loungers there. So much space for sun loungers, this is a big problem they need to resolve.

Overall was a fantastic holiday with my friends and we all had a amazing time!! Came back better friends than when we left! Would definitely book with Thomson again and visit this hotel!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Emily H
Matlock Bath, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed in July. Would say its a very good all rounder for price. Good location and easy to get to lively part of Americas and also easily get down to the Los cristianis end too. Seemed to attract a nice range of people from young ones, couples and families (more seemed to be arriving the later into July we got as I guess it is school summer holidays) rooms are basic but functional and of a three star standard - if you want 5* luxury rooms then I'm afraid you need to pay those prices. Lovely large pool area we didn't have any issues with sunbeds. Never had any major issues with rowdiness in the night as the hotel seems to put all the young ones in the same area thankfully!! I would stay here again for sure as for the price it's a good all rounder

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank PINKYPETAL
Reviewed August 4, 2013

After spending 45mins to check in we got to our self cateering room, now I know not to expect anything amazing but is asking for a clean room at the least to much to ask? The cupboard had cockroaches in and the pans were dirty,the bin had not been emptyed and there was a foot print on one of the pillows and it didnt stop here! lifting the matresses we found dry vomit old urine staines and who knows what else under there! As the holiday went on we didnt spend much time in the room so it was ok but then we noticed cockroaches running around and the toilet began leaking to top it off,these rooms need to be changed.the all inclusive side of the hotel is nice but there is hardly any entertainment being next to veronicas strip is the only plus if your a group of teenagagers staying at the hotel.apart from all this the buffay in the evening is very nice but I would say go to a hotel nearer the beach its worth the extra 100 euro.and if you do want to stay here or have already booked dont buy any excursions from columbus hotel they charge alot its better to go to the shops.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank annoymous101

Travelers are raving about these Playa de las Americas hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Moved to this hotel, after leaving the Las Floritas round the corner due to filth and ignorance.

Very nice welcoming reception desk, with a rather grumpy man, but the ladies were fine, the room was large enough with a full length sliding door opening out onto the balcony where you could get upto all sorts of things in relative privacy, nice big pool area at the rear.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Anglesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Stayed with my 2 friends july 17th-july 22nd the lobby looks like ur entering a 4* but the room we stayed in was barely a 2* 1 coin operated tv which didnt work. The beds were slightly comfortable the positive was we had air con in our room. No tea/coffee facilities and a barely chilled fridge. We made friends with a couple of girls in the opposite building of the hotel and they had tea coffee facilities toaster and a cooker but no air con. Oh how i missed my yorkshire tea!! lolThe shower fittings were loose making having a shower tricky without soaking the entire floor. 3 of us staying in the room and most of the time we were having to ask for towels because we were only getting 1 large and 2 small flannels! Around the pool area was sometimes a horrible smell of discarded food or stale water. Majority of staff are miserable and dont really make you feel welcome dont get me wrong there were some who were nice and made an effort and also i thought it was just the germans who were bad at securing the loungers by the pool us brits are just as bad. To the positives the pools were nice and relaxing as was the jaquzzi. The hot dog and chips in the all inclusive was nice as was the restaurant food i especially liked the oriental themed night food, the drinks wernt amazing in the all inclusivembut sure beats the hell out of going into the main strip of playas de americanas and getting harrased by every bar rep trying to get you to go in. We didnt get any roaches in our room thankfully.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 29, 2013 via mobile

Me and my three friends visited this hotel for 10 days during the middle of July. Don't get me wrong the location with regards to the nightlife is fantastic! However, that is the only strength. Upon arrival the staff were rude. Whilst entering the appartment it was clear that for four people the room was ridiculously small, nonetheless we coped. Without going into too much detail, making a slight noise before 12 o clock gets you abruptly penalised. We were demanded to pay €50 on the second day for knocking on a door. The staff are unbelievabley demanding and abrupt and made me and my cohorts feel completely unwelcome throughout our stay. Getting a sunbed around the pool is generally like finding a needle in a hay stack. Trying to save beds with towels, taking off other people's towels and waking up early are all options we tried and got abuse for doing so. Don't get me wrong our girls holiday in Tenerife was amazing, however the hotel is completely mind set on making money and making young people lives an absolute living hell!!

• Stayed July 2013