“Would go back!”

Kn Columbus Aparthotel
GreenLeadersGold level
“Would go back!”
Reviewed June 1, 2013 via mobile

Really nice hotel! Stands out around all other hotels in the area, one of the best I have stayed at! All inclusive rooms have been all revamped with a fridge and flat screen tv and modern bathroom! Food is great so much to choose from that there must be something you like. Pool area is clean and pools are great. Entertainment staff are great an encouraging. The only thing negative I would say is our group was 6 people and aged between 18-21 and we got a warning and made to sign a contract for making noise from coming home after a night out which we found surprising as the hotel is classed as a lively atmosphere and for young people and when we were in our rooms all you could here was screaming and shouting. Also when we first arrived we had to wait an hour before getting checked in!

• Stayed July 2012
2 Thank Morgan_bisset

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (919)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2013

If you know what to do, and what to expect, this is a great hotel. Located only a short walk from the beach, and from lots of good bars and restaurants. This was my second time staying at this hotel, the first time we had a studio, this time we had a one bedroomed apartment as there were three of us.

ALL rooms have pretty much the same. Comfortable beds, a reasonably well equipped kitchen with two hob rings, fridge, kettle and toaster, pots, pans and crockery aplenty. Each bathroom has a hair dryer attached to the wall, so save yourself some suitcase space and leave yours at home. These are great hair dryers, and I have a mohican so need one every day. ;)

Towels are changed anytime you leave them on the bathroom floor. They do the same with sheets (as I found out later from Mum, who actually read things), but you have to leave them on the floor to get them changed otherwise they just make the bed.

The balconies are spacious, some facing inside to the pool, others taking in a side sea view and the mountains, but with a busy road too.

First time we stayed here (2011), we went self catering, this time we went B&B.

Breakfast was good, and two of us are vegetarians and so tough to cater for. We never went hungry and ate well every morning.

My only real gripe about this hotel is the noise that carries through the open halls from other holiday makers with little care about others. Not the hotels fault really.

This place is well located, clean, comfortable and has plenty of amenities.

Would recommend.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Paul B
Birmingham

Hi There.
I shall be very honest and truthful about this hotel.
A party of 4 adults 66, 55, 31, 27. stayed at this hotel on the 21st May Until 28th May 2013.
This is now our 2nd visit in 2 years.

Arrived at the hotel at night time around about 9.15pm after being dropped off by the coach.
The check in was very slow only one person on the desk to check a few new arrivals in.
Was in the line awaiting for about 20 mins due to was only one on the desk to deal with us all.
Bianca who works behind the desk is lovely and friendly also the other young man too but please be advised that André (hotel manager) is very rude no manners and moody and cannot speak English.
After we checked in of a party of 4 we went to our room which was basic but pleasant and very clean (A bit of dust but we all have dust).
Our room was pool facing with sea and mountain view which was nice to sit and watch in the morning and late at night when the sun is setting.
we had plenty of clean towels in both rooms which the towels was white and clean and fresh, the bath room had plenty of hot and cold water therefore the shower was very powerful which was nice.
Food.
Pizza, chips, stew, chicken, salad and rice basic food but was ok nothing to go mad about please note if you are going half board please check as you don't always get free drink with meal and you may be landed with a bill of 7 euros for 4 125ml for Pepsi.
restaurant very friendly. The breakfast isn't very good they serve hot dog sausages yuk.
Entertainment.
Disco bar is not suitable for children after 9.30pm due to the impropriate nature of sexual talk and actions of doggy style, which not suitable for children to see as if I had children I would of complained.
Mini disco played the same songs every night with out fail which kids got bored with.
I could not see any excellent day time activities for children during the day apart from the pool and the small games room which for entertaining kids isn't much to do as you can see the kids bored.
The hotel is lively but not noisy as others say but you are not far from bars ect which sound can travel but did not bother us as we could sleep ok.
Around the pool at night can be lively but stops when hotel bar shuts but it don't keep you awake.
Theres a nice restaurant around the corner turn left out the hotel and left again serves nice good but drinks are expensive but the poodle dog is lovely.
did not entre the pool some say it was raw cold but it was clean and the area got washed down twice daily.
Now lady's and gents if you are going to get dressed please close your curtains as holiday makers do not want to see your bits and bobs, to the man who was on his balcony with his wife please do not keep on putting your hands down your pants in full view and giving it a pull please have some decency and respect for others.
overall holiday and weather was good but will not return to Tenerife as going to try sister islands.
please do not stop for the black women on the sea front who will try and put bracelets on your wrists.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Nicholas s
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I holidayed in the hotel in May 2013. I booked this holiday because 2 friends and myself wanted a cheap break from the awful English and I didn't read any review's before I booked .
I did read the reviews before we left and was quite concerned of what would greet us. When we arrived at the hotel Columbus we were directed to the apartment, with trepidation we opened the door.
What a lovely apartment we had, all our requests had been given a ground floor with a terrace and balcony. The terrace overlooked the pool also the most roomy apartment we had ever had. It was basic but clean with a twin bedroom and lounge and kitchen area. A very comfortable 3ft bed which pulled out from the wall in the lounge area .plus another stowed bed which would have been sufficient for a forth person as the room was quite large. In the morning we discovered a leak in the bathroom which we rang through to reception the plumber arrived within 10 minutes and repaired it. My friends and myself could find no fault with this hotel, for the price we paid we knew we would not get 5 star service but it was well worth a 3 star status. The surrounding areas are very lively, which we enjoyed as we are well passed the age for living it up ourselves but enjoyed the buss of other people having a good time. Although we where self catering we decided to have a few meals in the hotel, we thought the food good in fact some meals were better than what we ate in some of the over priced restaurants in Las Americas, in fact as the food was good my friend invited her brother(who also happened to be holidaying in Tenerife0 to join us)at the hotel for a meal and they said the food was better than the hotel they where staying in. I would go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: One of the bungelows
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sandra H
Ulverston, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We used Columbus as a base so we could visit our daughter who works in Tenerife. As the accommodation was cheap we didn't expect much - and we were right. The one bed apartment we had was of good size, but was very very dated and run down, and very badly kitted out for anyone who genuinely expected the cater for themselves. I also pity anyone who has had to sleep on the sofa bed. I am told that the apartments used for all inclusive residents are of better quality, but can't confirm this.

My major gripe with the hotel was the way we were treated when my daughter and her boyfriend came to the hotel reception and asked directions to our room. They were refused access to the hotel, and told that residents were not allowed guests in the hotel and told to leave. When I went to reception to resolve the " mis-understanding" I was also told this.

After recovering my daughter and her boyfriend from across the street where they were waiting for me, we entered reception to find our way blocked by security guards. Behaviour I found quite pathetic .... I went back to reception and asked to see the manager to be allowed to sign my guests in. This request was denied, but the rude receptionist after a series of phone calls allowed my guests to enter.

I understand that hotels have to monitor guests, and behaviour - but the hotel attitude and management of this was appalling.

For our next visit we will not be staying there again.

Room Tip: All rooms are very noisy, but around the pool or near to the reception is the worst.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank screpta

Travelers are raving about these Playa de las Americas hotels

Walkeringham, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

After reading many reviews I was very sceptical, but for £208 pp, half board and seven nights, we couldn't complain!

Me and my partner stayed at the Columbus Hotel from the 20th until 27th of May. Weather was great. Slightly cloudy on a couple of days, but temperatures reached up to 30 degrees on a few days.

When we arrived at the Columbus Hotel where we were greeted by the receptionist, who quickly booked us in. He did not talk much, but maybe this was due to the language barrier. However, a smile would have been nice!

We were placed in the opposite block of apartments, which have just been refurbished and are only for all inclusive and half board. When we entered the room we were pleasantly surprised! The room was clean and very up to date. In the bathroom we had a bath/shower, a bidet and a hair dryer. Our room has three single beds, of which two had been pushed together to make a double bed. This was great in our opinion as we had more room to get spread out! Spare blankets had been placed in the wardrobe, which we did use a few nights as the blankets already on the beds were a bit thin. Wardrobes are very spacious and also have a safe in, which costs 25 euros. We paid to use ours, but only received 10 euros back! Rooms also come with a TV, which you have to pay 1 euro for an hour. All rooms also come with a balcony. Our room faced the pool area and we also had a sea view. Maid services are also available everyday. You could have your bed linen changed everyday if you wish and also clean towels. Please take note that if you want your bed sheets changing you must leave a card on the bed saying so, which me and my partner only learned on the last day! You can also have fresh towels everyday, just leave them on the bathroom floor and the maid will change them. One concern that I had read about in reviews was the noise. We had a few nights when we heard youngsters running around the corridors but this Hotel is in the centre of Playa de las Americas, so what else can you expect? I took earplugs with me, which blocked out a lot of the noise. It was definitely not as noisy as I thought it would be.

There are four pools altogether. One for kids, two larger ones in the main area and one behind the second block (it was closed the throughout our whole stay). There are plenty of sun lounges available and two balcony's which are a bit quieter and catch more sun. The main area between the two blocks can get a bit windy but still plenty of sun to sunbathe! We only went in the pool once the whole time we stayed as they were a bit chilly (Note: not heated pools!).

Now onto the food. Where do I start? Personally it was far to bland for my liking (I am rather fussy and spent a few nights at McDonald's!). However, there is a huge selection on offer.

Breakfast buffet consisted of:
Savouries (croissants etc)
Tea & coffee machine
Fruit juice machine

Dinner consisted of:
Starters - selection of two soups, bread rolls, olives, pickled onions etc
Main:
Salad bar
chips
Meat dishes (the majority were pork, veal or goat! Okay I suppose if you like it)
Pizza (Available a few nights we stayed)

-Not much choice for children.

Dessert:
Jelly
Fruit
ice cream
small pieces of cake

(We were not all inclusive so I do not know what lunch was like)

On-site the Hotel has a pub, bar, laundrette, hairdressers, shop, games room, night club, snack bar and a gym. There are plenty of things for all ages! The all inclusive bar closes at 11pm, but there is also a underground night club that opens after this. Whilst we stayed entertainment for adults starts around 10.30ish and consisted of singers, comedy acts and drinking games.

There are plenty of tourist attractions around the hotel, including; restaurants, pubs, shops and the beach is only a 10 minute walk!

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Columbus and I wouldn't listen to all the reviews! The Hotel is clean, the majority of the staff are friendly and It is also close to all the attractions. We will definitely be back! I hope this review helped, as I personally know how stressful it can be to book a holiday.

Room Tip: For a peaceful sleep and a modern room choose the second block.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chelsea W
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

What can I say worst hotel I've ever stayed in as the hotel rooms are all in one corridor every heavy door slam will wake you up the 10 days i was there i had no sleep at all staff where not nice food was rubbish i know its a cheap hotel but this makes holiday in look like a 5 star strongly advise against this hotel

• Stayed May 2013