“Good holiday”

GreenLeadersGold level
London, England, United Kingdom
“Good holiday”
Reviewed May 29, 2013

I holidayed in the hotel in May 2013. I booked this holiday because 2 friends and myself wanted a cheap break from the awful English and I didn't read any review's before I booked .
I did read the reviews before we left and was quite concerned of what would greet us. When we arrived at the hotel Columbus we were directed to the apartment, with trepidation we opened the door.
What a lovely apartment we had, all our requests had been given a ground floor with a terrace and balcony. The terrace overlooked the pool also the most roomy apartment we had ever had. It was basic but clean with a twin bedroom and lounge and kitchen area. A very comfortable 3ft bed which pulled out from the wall in the lounge area .plus another stowed bed which would have been sufficient for a forth person as the room was quite large. In the morning we discovered a leak in the bathroom which we rang through to reception the plumber arrived within 10 minutes and repaired it. My friends and myself could find no fault with this hotel, for the price we paid we knew we would not get 5 star service but it was well worth a 3 star status. The surrounding areas are very lively, which we enjoyed as we are well passed the age for living it up ourselves but enjoyed the buss of other people having a good time. Although we where self catering we decided to have a few meals in the hotel, we thought the food good in fact some meals were better than what we ate in some of the over priced restaurants in Las Americas, in fact as the food was good my friend invited her brother(who also happened to be holidaying in Tenerife0 to join us)at the hotel for a meal and they said the food was better than the hotel they where staying in. I would go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: One of the bungelows
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sandra H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (922)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Ulverston, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 29, 2013

We used Columbus as a base so we could visit our daughter who works in Tenerife. As the accommodation was cheap we didn't expect much - and we were right. The one bed apartment we had was of good size, but was very very dated and run down, and very badly kitted out for anyone who genuinely expected the cater for themselves. I also pity anyone who has had to sleep on the sofa bed. I am told that the apartments used for all inclusive residents are of better quality, but can't confirm this.

My major gripe with the hotel was the way we were treated when my daughter and her boyfriend came to the hotel reception and asked directions to our room. They were refused access to the hotel, and told that residents were not allowed guests in the hotel and told to leave. When I went to reception to resolve the " mis-understanding" I was also told this.

After recovering my daughter and her boyfriend from across the street where they were waiting for me, we entered reception to find our way blocked by security guards. Behaviour I found quite pathetic .... I went back to reception and asked to see the manager to be allowed to sign my guests in. This request was denied, but the rude receptionist after a series of phone calls allowed my guests to enter.

I understand that hotels have to monitor guests, and behaviour - but the hotel attitude and management of this was appalling.

For our next visit we will not be staying there again.

Room Tip: All rooms are very noisy, but around the pool or near to the reception is the worst.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank screpta

Travelers are raving about these Playa de las Americas hotels

Walkeringham, null, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 28, 2013

After reading many reviews I was very sceptical, but for £208 pp, half board and seven nights, we couldn't complain!

Me and my partner stayed at the Columbus Hotel from the 20th until 27th of May. Weather was great. Slightly cloudy on a couple of days, but temperatures reached up to 30 degrees on a few days.

When we arrived at the Columbus Hotel where we were greeted by the receptionist, who quickly booked us in. He did not talk much, but maybe this was due to the language barrier. However, a smile would have been nice!

We were placed in the opposite block of apartments, which have just been refurbished and are only for all inclusive and half board. When we entered the room we were pleasantly surprised! The room was clean and very up to date. In the bathroom we had a bath/shower, a bidet and a hair dryer. Our room has three single beds, of which two had been pushed together to make a double bed. This was great in our opinion as we had more room to get spread out! Spare blankets had been placed in the wardrobe, which we did use a few nights as the blankets already on the beds were a bit thin. Wardrobes are very spacious and also have a safe in, which costs 25 euros. We paid to use ours, but only received 10 euros back! Rooms also come with a TV, which you have to pay 1 euro for an hour. All rooms also come with a balcony. Our room faced the pool area and we also had a sea view. Maid services are also available everyday. You could have your bed linen changed everyday if you wish and also clean towels. Please take note that if you want your bed sheets changing you must leave a card on the bed saying so, which me and my partner only learned on the last day! You can also have fresh towels everyday, just leave them on the bathroom floor and the maid will change them. One concern that I had read about in reviews was the noise. We had a few nights when we heard youngsters running around the corridors but this Hotel is in the centre of Playa de las Americas, so what else can you expect? I took earplugs with me, which blocked out a lot of the noise. It was definitely not as noisy as I thought it would be.

There are four pools altogether. One for kids, two larger ones in the main area and one behind the second block (it was closed the throughout our whole stay). There are plenty of sun lounges available and two balcony's which are a bit quieter and catch more sun. The main area between the two blocks can get a bit windy but still plenty of sun to sunbathe! We only went in the pool once the whole time we stayed as they were a bit chilly (Note: not heated pools!).

Now onto the food. Where do I start? Personally it was far to bland for my liking (I am rather fussy and spent a few nights at McDonald's!). However, there is a huge selection on offer.

Breakfast buffet consisted of:
Savouries (croissants etc)
Tea & coffee machine
Fruit juice machine

Dinner consisted of:
Starters - selection of two soups, bread rolls, olives, pickled onions etc
Main:
Salad bar
chips
Meat dishes (the majority were pork, veal or goat! Okay I suppose if you like it)
Pizza (Available a few nights we stayed)

-Not much choice for children.

Dessert:
Jelly
Fruit
ice cream
small pieces of cake

(We were not all inclusive so I do not know what lunch was like)

On-site the Hotel has a pub, bar, laundrette, hairdressers, shop, games room, night club, snack bar and a gym. There are plenty of things for all ages! The all inclusive bar closes at 11pm, but there is also a underground night club that opens after this. Whilst we stayed entertainment for adults starts around 10.30ish and consisted of singers, comedy acts and drinking games.

There are plenty of tourist attractions around the hotel, including; restaurants, pubs, shops and the beach is only a 10 minute walk!

Overall, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay at the Columbus and I wouldn't listen to all the reviews! The Hotel is clean, the majority of the staff are friendly and It is also close to all the attractions. We will definitely be back! I hope this review helped, as I personally know how stressful it can be to book a holiday.

Room Tip: For a peaceful sleep and a modern room choose the second block.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chelsea W
Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

What can I say worst hotel I've ever stayed in as the hotel rooms are all in one corridor every heavy door slam will wake you up the 10 days i was there i had no sleep at all staff where not nice food was rubbish i know its a cheap hotel but this makes holiday in look like a 5 star strongly advise against this hotel

• Stayed May 2013
1 Thank Chipster211
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

hotel hasnt changed in 20 years its a basic hotel in the center of the busy resort if all you want is a bed (clean) and a nice pool well this is for you i have been here around 10 yes ten times and every time i have had a great time all the entertainment is on your door

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank gordon d
wales

we went 3 to 17 may 2013

quick and friendly check in

pool view room consist of wide screen tv which you have to pay for 1 euro per hour bbc cnn sky sports 1 channel 5 remote hire 20 euros returnable when flnished sliding wardrobe shelves onlty and hanging space safe on the bottom of wardrobe 40 euros for 2 weeks 10 back when you hand back the key make sure you keep the receipt. air con only in the all inc rooms 40 euro deposit for the remote to make it work or do what we did keep the bedroom door open
bathroom shower quite powerful sink hairdryer toilet and bidet.
all outside areas kept very clean
hotel itself kept very clean if you have babies the public areas eg toilets have no baby changing
or the bars in the surrounding areas very awkward for our daughter and her baby.
food quality very hit and miss eg a lot of pork veal salads were nice sometimes steak and curries
but this was made of pork chips breakfasts were good.
there is 2 pools one either end with the kids pool and a bubble pool must have been the coldest pools I have ever been in .
there is two raised areas above the pools if you want it a bit more peaceful and one around the back with a small pool and one one the roof of the all inc building.
join in with the games with jhon and manu darts pool shooting etc they are good fun'
entertainment a bit hit and miss snake bird cicus flamenco shows look out for jhonny circus he was good.
the main hotel bar does all the all inc drinks and snacks
there is a kids club a small pub and a pool snack bar you will have to pay for this.
go to the bitter and twisted drag dinner show a real good night out you will have to book this yourself in the vivo centre.
hotel seem to cater for a lot of stag and hen parties this is probabley why there is a lot of noise at night beach is about a 10 min walk away .
would I go back probabley not due to the noise.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank fuzz100
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013

went to Columbus middle may with my bf my 1st impressions off the hotel where good looked very nice however 1st night we arrive we was tired so we thought we get few drinks fromn bar take them to are room to un pack and chill on baloney we went to bar and was told only 1 drink per person evan though we told them we going back room as it was our 1st night BAR Staff Very rude and not welcoming also disappointed that all inclusive option finished at 11pm ! and very hard to get a brolly for the pool not enough and very loud at night people banging in middle night running up n down hall way no security we made friends that left early as problem wasn't sorted

however the hotel its self was what we expected good location and nice hotel in all just some staff very unhelp full and not pleasant but are rep Sahsa did every thing to help

but Tenerife was lovely n location was gr8 defo goback but to a different hotel