“Top quality”
Review of Hotel Sir Anthony

Hotel Sir Anthony
Reviewed January 24, 2013

My wife and I chose this hotel because we like the location. Last year we stayed at Cleopatra. And the difference is very obvious. Sir A is a completely different standard. Service was excellent and breakfast fantastic. You are being seated and given a meny from which you choose freely. Everything is freshly prepared, which meansa you have to accept some minutes waitong time. On the other hand, you are free to use the buffet at Cleopatra if you prefer that.
Our room was 304, which is the top of the buliding, allowing you an open seaview and also poolview and mountain view.
We will return,

Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Terje363
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Hotel Sir Anthony, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear Mr.Terje363,

thank you very much for the time you have invested sharing your impressions about your last stay at the Hotel Sir Anthony. We really appreciate your kind words and nice message.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you again soon.

Bests regards,

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We have just returned from a ten day break at the Sir Anthony Hotel, part of the Mare nostrum resort in Tenerife and it was by far the best hotel we have stayed in. The hotel staff were brilliant and you were treated first class at all times. The breakfast was absolutely beautiful. All rooms have a lovely sea view. It is a very intimate hotel and I would definitely recommend it for couples. We are definitely going back!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Wendy D

Dear Mrs Wendy D,

We really appreciate your effort taking the time to write this comment and we are really delighted to know that you had a great time with us. We will continue working hard to satisfy you and make your stay an exceptional one.

We hope we can welcome you back to the Sir Anthony Hotel in the near future.

Bests regards,

Reviewed January 3, 2013

Great modern and contemporary rooms. Enjoyed the sit-down breakfasts by the lovely pool every morning. Convenient distance to the beaches and restaurants. Great luxury stay! Loved the Molton Brown toiletries too!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Zip32183

Dear Mr / Mrs. Zip32183,

First of all thank you very much for choosing the Sir Anthony Hotel for your holidays in Tenerife and thank you for sharing your impressions here with other travelers.

We will be most pleased to welcome you again in the near future.

Bests regards.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

I won't debate whether I think it's a four star or five star, because quite honestly, it doesn't matter.

From the minute we checked in to when we checked out, we were treated like honoured guests - being greeted throughout our stay by smiling management and staff who actually remembered our names,

The room was just right; not a movie star suite, but a large and really comfortable bed, a fantastic bathroom (no bath, but the shower was probably the best we've experienced in a hotel anywhere) and through patio doors onto our own sunbathing deck (with beds and furniture) which lead down into the lovely gardens and the pool.

Breakfast was a great experience.......options of (say) a 4 or 5 minute boiled egg, crispy bacon, well done toast...... where else can you get that?

Location in P d l A is perfect. A gate from the gardens opens just a few strides from a lovely beach, and the best restaurants and shops are a couple of hundred metres away. That said, none of the hustle and bustle permeates the hotel, which remains an oasis of peace and tranquility in the heart of the tourist area.

Nothing flash or pretentious, just a comfortable, relaxing, peaceful experience that totally recharged our batteries.
We'll definitely be going back!

Room Tip: Top (2nd) floor rooms have a spiral staircase up to your own private sundeck with plunge pool. Midd...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank MoscowMaleEngland
Reviewed December 20, 2012

We had stayed at the Sir Anthony before the major refurbishment. We wanted to return because of its excellent position within the resort and to see the "new hotel". Everyone comments about the reception and checking in, it is very good and very welcoming, the receptionist Monica was extremely helpful. We had requested a room on the ground floor as it gives a terrace and easy access to the pool area. The room and the facilities were fine, the one downside to the changes is that there is very little space in the bathroom for the ladies and all the creams, perfumes, toiletries etc. Also no bath, although the walk in shower is very good.
The breakfast service we found to be very "hit and miss", somedays everything was fine, anything you wanted from the menu was availabe and was served efficiently. Other days entirely the opposite, They had run out of certain foods and drinks, relative simple things like grapefruit juice none available for two days running. On one morning they were taking so long to take orders some couples left to go elsewhere! Better management required in this area.
As mentioned in other reviews the "sun bed" situation is very annoying, having to get up at 7.00 a.m. to bag a bed should not be necessary, unfortunately when the hotel is full there are not enough beds available for everybody. Once again better management required.
All in all we still enjoyed our stay at the hotel and would no doubt return, very few hotels can beat the position it is in. Since arriving home we have received communication from the hotel asking for our views, these have been given and hopefully the management will take note.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms are by far the most convenient and have the added advantage of a sun terrace.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 10, 2012

Just arrived back from the Sir Anothony, in my honest opinion this hotel was certainly not 5*.

Check-in was amazing and really made you feel like you we're staying in a quality hotel - the receptionist was attentive and clearly made you feel very welcome, you even received a complementary drink of your choice. What was disappointing was the immediate 'sales pitch', trying to get you to upgrade to a 'better room'.

When we got to the room the immediate impression is that of quality, the bed is amazing, huge in size and extremely comfortable. The room had a jacuzzi style bath which was fantastic. The glass bathroom was also amazing - but if that's not your thing you had shutters to give you privacy. In our room was fresh fruit, chocolates and a bottle of Cava - very nice touch. First impressions were certainly good! On closer inspection however, things did not all seem what was intended. In the toilet the sockets was hanging off the wall and the cealing was cracked and plaster falling from where the door slid. In the main bedroom the wall was scuffed with black marks. For a 5* hotel I certainly would not expect this kind of (easily correctable) problems.

We had some issues with the room we thought we had reserved and brought these to the attention of the receptionist. She was dismissive and only interested in trying to sell us an 'upgraded room'. Several times throughout the holiday I spoke with this receptionist, eventually getting so frustrated I asked to speak with the manager, only to be informed that the manager would not speak with me as they were not based at the hotel. Half way through the holiday the receptionist agreed she would request the manager spoke to me the next morning. We never heard a thing back after that! When I questioned this the next afternoon I was informed that the receptionist who was dealing with our request was on her days off... When the receptionist came back on duty, 2 days later, I again brought up our request, she informed me that the manager would not negotiate on our request and insisted in order to move room we would need to pay a additonal €300+ euros. For a hotel that states it is 5* and prides itself on service, I was utterly disgusted! I have stayed in many luxury hotels, and the reason I am happy to pay a premium for such hotels is due to the impeccable service you receive... This was certainly not the case at the Sir Anthony.

On the day before we flew home our room keys stopped working, I approached reception and was duly informed that we were due to check out and had only paid for 6 nights and not 7. I disputed this and showed the receptionist my reservation voucher. This particular receptionist couldn't have been more helpful and informed us that she would look into it. A short while later she called us back to reception to inform us that we did indeed have to check out of the hotel as on their system we had only booked for 6 nights. I disagreed and she informed us that we would need to speak to our travel agent in the UK. I then spent an additonal 40 mins calling the UK sorting out the problem, only to be advised that this was a mistake on behalf of the hotel! The only plus point to this horrid experience is that the hotel allowed us to use their phone to call back to the UK. The problem seemed to be that the orginal receptionist had inputed the wrong check out date into the computer... Perhaps that was due to the concentration on selling us an upgraded room! However, on a positive note, the receptionist that dealt with this problem couldn't have been more helpful, quite frankly she was lovely! (I still beleive however, that this shuld ot have been down to the guest to sort out) At this point I was extremely upset with the way we had been treated and once again requested to speak with a manager. I was informed, once again that there was no manager available. However on this occasion I insisted... Approx 15mins later the receptionist contacted us and informed us that the manager was not able to see us, neither we're they willing to discuss our issues over the phone. At this point I refused be 'fobbed off' anymore and demanded to speak with a hotel manager. Eventually I was contacted to inform me that a manager was waiting in reception for us. We attended the reception area to be greated by a refreshingly concerned manager. We explained all our issues to him, the room allocation problem (which we agree was Not the fault of the hotel), the check out date issue (which was the fault of the hotel), and the cocktail party letter issue (two males, invitation addressed to a Mr & Mrs - I'm not normally too fussy about things like that, but a 5* hotel should at least look at the guest list before sending incorrect invitations to its guests (in my opinion 5* means attention to detail and impeccable service)). Refreshingly the manager was more than apologetic, he emphathised with our issues and immediately upgraded us for our last night to a junior suite. What was more interesting was the fact he informed me that this was the first he had heard of our problems... This was extremely concerning as this possibly meant the original receptionist was not exactly being truthful re our requests to speak with a manager.

We moved our luggage into the junior suite which was a lovely room, but again electrical sockets were hanging off of the wall, and the bath robe had huge holes under the arm pits! 5*?? The roof terrace was amazing though, and the plunge pool great. All in all the room we had originally expected.

One more negative, and them some positives I promise! Do not bother with the cocktail party, yes you get a free drink, however all the staff want to do is get you to spend more money by showing you round a rather nice hotel suite, I found this extremely out of character for such a hotel that advertises a 5*rating to its guests.

Now the positives.... The breakfast is fantastic, extensive menu, fantastic attentive staff, especially the blonde waitress who really could not do enough for you (sorry I did not obtain her name). The pool lifeguard was also the nicest man I had ever met. He again couldn't do enough for you - he really did make the effort with every single guest!. The pool was lovely, relatively small compared with some other hotels but nice non the less. The only fault here was the hotel not implementing their policy of 'no reserved sunbeds'. Unfortunately, several guests thought it necessary to get up at 7am and reserve sun beds that they would not use until much later in the afternoon. This was frustrating at times and forced us to wake up extra early in order to get downstairs and secure sunbeds. The non reservation of sunbeds was refreshing when we read it in the room binder, but unfortunatly was not implemented in the way it was described. Overall.... Yes, this is a lovely hotel. Slightly tired in terms of repairs to basic features, not enough attention to detail in respect of holes in gowns and room touch-ups, but the service past reception (excluding Katia) ie, breakfast staff and pool staff was amazing and really made you feel special. I would recommend you give this hotel a go if you want a truly quiet and secluded holiday. its also within a stones through from the main amenities, however if you are expecting true 5* luxury then you may be disappointed... And could almost certainly find another '5*' hotel cheaper and possibly better (ie living up to the rating)

Finally I hope Katia (I hope that's how you spell it!) checks you in, she is a fantastic receptionist who will assist you no matter what' if it wasn't for her my review would have been entirely negative! Oh and thanks to the manger who finally showed some interest in his guests and did the right thing...

Will I go back.... I would like too.... But I would expect big improvements!!

Room Tip: Nice hotel.... Worth the money?
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
8  Thank jase9675
Reviewed December 6, 2012

We have recently returned from the Sir Anthony Hotel, where we spent a week with some friends. Check-in on arrival was very efficient and our friends were immediately upgraded to a superior room with terrace and private plunge pool which was the same as we had booked, so it was a fab start to the holiday. I believe this was possible as the hotel wasn't completely full so very good first impressions. I would certainly recommend paying a little extra for this type of accommodation as it's very well worth it. The staff are so helpful and if you need anything you only have to ask. The rooms are spotless and very spacious. The private plunge pool top terrace is private and we had great views of the hotel's swimming pool, beach and sea beyond -gorgeous. Breakfasts were good with plenty of choice including Cava if you felt in need of some bubbles!! The hotel is a very relaxing sanctuary, well placed and close to numerous bars, restaurants and designer shops. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel to others.

Room Tip: I would certainly recommend the superior room with private terrace and plunge pool which are spaciou...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank SuzeeQ9999
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa de las Americas
Cleopatra Palace Hotel
IBEROSTAR Grand Hotel El Mirador
HD Parque Cristobal Tenerife
HD Parque Cristobal Tenerife
#3 of 58 in Playa de las Americas

Been to Hotel Sir Anthony? Share your experiences!