We booked this on the recommendation of the travel agent, having never been to Tenerife before. It was our 30th anniversary and we wanted it to be special. I did however, read the reviews here before final booking. It was wonderful. We arrived at the hotel and someone else was booking in, so we were seated in the lounge and offered a drink. A few minutes later we booked in at the small desk with our drink - makes a change from standing in a queue.
The room was just as the pictures showed, spacious, clean and tidy, plenty of towels. The bed was enormous, there was room for us and tons of space in the middle (and we aren't small). It was comfortable to sleep on too. The maid service was great and the bed was made beautifully every day and in the evening remade (or tidied up) where we had messed it up during the day. We were offered clean towels each night as well, with a couple of chocolates too. The room was cleaned each day as was the balcony and the water in the plunge pool was changed once during the week too, I'm sure if we'd asked it would have been done on request.
We had a top room with the roof balcony and plunge pool and probably could have made more use of it, it was a great place to be and not at all claustrophobic as I had feared. The plunge pool was not really suitable for getting into completely, but was great for cooling down by dangling your feet in it while sitting on the side. Several reviews had mentioned that the staircase up to the roof was close to the walls and so one does need to be careful about not skinning your knuckles, but getting up and down was easy enough (although I wouldn't have run it like the maid did). I was concerned it might be very high and give you vertigo, but it didn't - it was fine (as long as you watched your knuckles). We did spend one day by the swimming pool and that was great too plenty of sunbeds for everyone and the pool was a good size for a proper swim.
Other reviewers have mentioned the food and that is the one weak area. Breakfast is waiter service and is a bit hit and miss, a lengthy menu, but slightly rigid in the offer. There were several '3 course' options but you didn't necessarily get what was ordered if you tried to mix and match. Other reviewers had mentioned going to one of the other hotels for the buffet breakfast which is what we did. In the Cleopatra Palace you got the same food (including the freshly squeezed orange juice and cava), but you served yourself. It was feeding a lot of people, which gave it a slight 'Butlins' feel, but it was good food, as much as you wanted and at your own pace. Breakfast was served until 10:30 everyday and 12:30 on Sundays which meant it was a relaxing holiday and you weren't rushed into breakfast when you wanted a lie in.
We had one meal in the restaurant which was nice enough but nothing special. We were glad we hadn't opted for half board - there's plenty of other food options around, but Tenerife is not going to be known for its gastronomy anytime soon.
We had one day where it rained and so spent our time in our room watching the TV which showed BBC1,2 ITV, Channels 4 and 5, 3 news channels and More 4, film 4 and ITV 2+1(!). It meant that you could catch up on the news, watch the Leverson enquiry and 'Homes Under the Hammer'! I quite liked having English TV - I know we were supposed to be away from home, but in between the sun, books, and swimming a bit of TV was quite nice.
Overall, the hotel is an oasis in a typical holiday resort. The views were great, the room was great, we relaxed for the whole week and all the staff were friendly, courteous and helpful, nothing was too much trouble and everything came with as smile. For a late season bit of sun - this was just what was needed and I would wholeheartedly recommend it to our friends.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The only beachfront boutique hotelon the stunning Playa de las Americas in Southern Tenerife, this luxury establishment has 70 sumptuously furnished rooms with a terrace, offering a panoramic view of the beach. The attentive staff provide personalized VIP service with unparalleled attention to detail. Located only a few steps from the largest entertainment and shopping area of the island, it is the ideal spot to spend a perfect dream holiday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Priceline, Expo Hoteles, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, Travelocity, Cheap Tickets, Hotwire and Agoda so you can book your Hotel Sir Anthony reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sir Anthony Hotel Tenerife
- Sir Anthony Tenerife
- Hotel Sir Anthony Tenerife/Playa De Las Americas