“Almost perfect.....”

Europe Villa Cortes
Southport, United Kingdom
“Almost perfect.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2012

I always like to wait about a week before I review a hotel, just to give myself time to adjust and rethink about the experience.
Firstly, the hotel is spotlessly clean and smells beautiful. It has it's own Villa Cortes smell. If I come across this again, I will be immediately transported back to this place.
The hotel is serene and quiet. I probably wouldn't want to bring my 8 yrs old son as he is very noisy and I'm sure this wouldn't go down too well with the mainly older patrons.
I am pleased to report that there were plenty of free sunloungers and you didn't have to get up at silly o'clock like a fool to reserve one. That being said, the same people every day were reserving beds as they liked the same spot every day.
On first glance, there don't seem to be enough parasols but there are extra in the towel collection room and the lifeguard is quite happy to bring one over for you.
The rooms are lovely and spacious but I have to say, ours was very dark. No, actually, the room itself wasn't dark, it's just that both curtains are joined in the middle at the top, so they can't be pulled back properly away from the patio door. They are a very heavy material, so they block out light, which is good at night but not during the day. I don't know about other nationalities but light and brightness is important to the British after our terrible summer! I notice that this has been mentioned previously, so obviously the management are happy with this arrangement.
One thing that really annoyed me about the hotel bedroom (and is common in most hotels) is that the hairdryer in the bathroom is very weak and not sufficient to dry anything but short hair.
I always bring my own dryer as I have long, thick hair. After reading through the past reviews and looking at the hotel's own photos, it appeared that there was no mirror over the dressing table, so we emailed the hotel and asked for a mirror beforehand. In the event, we ended up switching rooms but the mirror was not there anyway. Not too much of a problem, I thought, as there was a large, heavy mirror opposite the wardrobe. Unfortunately, there was no plug socket, so we ended up removing the mirror and putting it on the floor by the dressing table. It took both of us as it was so heavy. Not really 5 star!! The dressing table was not actually a dressing table with only one drawer to put any make up or hair products.
The breakfast was fab and I especially liked the coffee.
I don't think I have anything to add as my husband is the reviewer mj2000uk, so he has covered all our points. No point in repeating them.
Finally have to say though, that after reading the manager's response to mj2000uk's review, it is not correct for him to say that they did not receive the information regarding our wedding anniversary. We emailed the hotel directly regarding another matter and mentioned it then and the hotel replied to that email. Just to prove:-

Hello Miguel

Thanks for your reply. Can you please confirm that we have a double room booked (not twin beds).

Also, my wife is a keen follower of Trip Advisor and she has noticed in some reviews that some bedrooms do not have a mirror above the dressing table. Please could I request we have a room with a mirror above the dressing table. This is a small request but will make our stay much better as my good lady spends on average 90 minutes in front of a mirror drying her hair on holiday and doesn’t want to do this standing in the bathroom.

Thanks again for your help and we look forward to meeting you next week and spending our 10th wedding anniversary at your beautiful hotel.

Regards

Mr ......

RESPONSE

Dear Mr. .....,
following your request, we have reserved for you one of the rooms with double bed and a mirror above the dressing table.
We appreciate a lot your confidence and whish you in advance a comfortable flight to Tenerife and a pleasant stay with us.
Yours faithfully

All in all, the holiday was lovely and I would return to this hotel but would book a proper suite to make sure I could see properly and have somewhere more accessible to dry my hair!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank J3KTN
Europehotels, Director Comercial at Europe Villa Cortes, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for your detailed review of your last stay in our hotel.

We are really happy to see that you enjoyed your time with us, especially our relaxing atmosphere and great facilities.
Thank you also for sending us the conversation you had with our reservation manager. We are truly sorry to see that we had such a misunderstanding about your wedding anniversary. Like we said to your husband, indeed the reception did not receive the information and so could not prepare anything for you. We will certainly take your experience as an example to improve our communication.

We would also like to add that we did reserve for you a special room with a mirror above the dressing table like you asked us. Actually it seems that this room didn’t suit you and so, you have preferred to change to another normal room.

Please be assured that we will take into account your remarks in order to provide you a better and wonderful next stay with us.

The management team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2012

My wife and myself have just had a fabulous week long stay at this beautiful hotel and while I am of the opinion that Playa De Las Americas in general could do with a general spruce up, this hotel is a class apart from anything I have stayed in.

There is not a lot to add from previous reviews. The room was beautifully decorated, the bed was large and comfortable, the bathroom was spotlessly clean and although our room faced the road, there was no noise with the door shut.

We didnt eat at the hotel restaurants but we spent time on the beach eating at the Maui Beach Chiringuito where the food is fabulous and the manager, David, deserves a mention for being so friendly towards us during our stay. In the evening, the bar above the Chriniguito is a very chilled place to watch the sun set and the drinks are plentiful. Again, we need to mention the bar staff here, especially Angel who was very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We will miss these guys. Both the bar and the Chringuito belong to the hotel.

So why havent I given it 5/5 then? Well, there are a few instances that let the hotel down.

Firstly, we made a point of making the hotel aware that this was a holiday to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. There was no reference made to this when we arrived or during our stay. I dont expect special treatment but in a 5 star plus hotel, its acknowledgement of these times that makes a difference. So when I say no acknowledgement, even a mention on check in of Happy Anniversary would help.

Next, our room. Lovely as it was, had to be changed from our original. The first room we were shown had a drainage smell on entry and to be fair to the porter, he picked this up immediately and went to get the room changed. At this point, I dropped in that he might want to get us one on the other side of the corridor (i.e. pool facing rather than road facing) and on his return, we were shown 2 rooms, both road facing. Again, here was a chance for the hotel to rise above but no such attempt was made to improve on our original.

Next, I felt the staff were distant. I felt they were not attentive and I didnt feel that they were there to assist. We regularly had to attract attention and especially the staff around the pool taking drinks orders etc where not doing their rounds on a regular basis.

Next, the hotel has its own beach which the public can also get access to. The beach has sunbeds and 4 poster beds. The sunbeds are free to hotel guests as you would expect and €5.00 to the public. The 4 posters are €15.00 to both the public and hotel guests. I dont feel this is right as they should be either free or a reduced rate to the guests. I did have a problem where I paid for the 4 poster with €50.00 and so the collector had to return with €35.00 in change. After waiting 90 minutes with no change, we went looking for him. We went back to the hotel reception who tracked him down (apparently he was eating a snack somewhere) and he had forgotten about us. The reception then proceeded to give me my €35.00 change but after the wait and the hunt and the poor excuse for a story, you would think the hotel would refund me fully.

As you can see, beautiful hotel and I would go back in an instant but there was attention to detail missing from my which havent allowed me to give it the 5 stars it deserves.

Go there and make your own mind up, you will not be disappointed by the hotel itself at all!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mj2000uk
Europehotels, Director Comercial at Europe Villa Cortes, responded to this review, September 17, 2012
Dear guest,
Thank you for writing such a detailed comment about your stay on Tripadvisor.
It is always important for us to be aware of your feelings as it helps us to know how we can provide our guests better services and products.
We are pleased to see that you enjoyed your holidays in general.
As for the comment about your wedding anniversary, we truly regret not having been able to provide you any special treatment, as we didn’t receive the information. Please be sure that we always try to give our guests a special attention for such an unforgettable day like a wedding anniversary.
We really hope to have the chance to welcome you back in our hotel and prove you our profesionalism and wish to make the best for our guests.
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 5, 2012

Superb hotel, friendly staff, great rooms (all individual) private and secluded, yet in the heart of town, brilliant breakfast available! Visit regularly with work, always look forward to a good nights sleep here!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Karl B
Dear guest,
Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion with us on Tripadvisor.
It is a pleasure to see that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel as well as our general facilities.
We would be pleased to welcome you back in our hotel.
Alba iulia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 30, 2012

Hy, I want to start by telling you that here I had the best time ever.
The hotel is great, I was very satisfied of if.
I had a big and nice room with a splendid view. The hotel is like a " hacienda mexicana" and you feel like you're in Mexic. Also one of the restaurants is mexican and there you must try the best dessert ever, unfortunately I can't remember exactly the name but is like a chocolate mousse.
The swimming area is also great, you can see this in the pictures i've posted.
Everything was very clean that even one day I found 2 flowers in the toilet, was very funny;)
They have a beach bar close to the sea where you can also eat very good sea food.
Even if the hotel is a quiet one you have a lot of things to do in town. I would recommend you the flamenco show, named AIRE, by Carmen Mota, it's spectacular.
I hope you will find this useful,
All the best!

Room Tip: choose a sea view room
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Theodora P
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for writing your feedback on Tripadvisor about your recent stay in our hotel.
We are pleased to see your nice comment and are very much looking forward to your next visit.
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 28, 2012

We stayed at the Villa Cortes for a week from 18/25th Aug 2012,
with our 7year old daughter.

Arrival.
we booked a Taxi and upon arrival we was greeted by a very friendly Staff member called Wilf (I think) who helped us with our bags. Check in was very quick and the staff appeared to be very efficient.

Our room 416 was on the 4th floor you had to take the lift to the 3rd floor and walk along a balcony to a set of steps which took us up to the "penthouse" no only joking but it was as good as. However this room would be no good for anyone with mobility problems. The room we booked through Alpharooms was a sea view Double for 3. We were pleased with the size and the beauty of the room, with a good bathroom and best of all the size of the balcony.

We loved the service that we recived from this hotel all staff memebers took time to know what we liked at meal times and so breakfast was extreamly good. Dieago the chef was fantastic he created fantastic omletts and pancakes. All fresh non of that powderd stuff. Also expect to see high end conderments.

The food was wonderful and again it was clear that only the best would do. Fantasic chunks of Salmon was avalable to enjoy every morning.

We booked half board.
I loved the fine dinning every night however my Husband a daughter prefered buffet style dinner that you get at other hotels. Saying that they always found something to eat and we all agreed that the sweets were fab.
The staff at dinner were super and a special mention to Nicco he was great with our daughter, and very professional. I think he was a manager for the waiting staff (well if he isnt he should be)

I had 2 spa treatments and loved them both, The massage was carried out by a Man who was fantastic. I felt great afterwards. If you are bothered about having a male request a female when booking.
She carried out my body scrub. And 5 days in my skin feels fab.

All in all this hotel is best of both worlds.....Located in a fantatic location with lots to do. Along with a hotel being a place to CHILL OUT!!

Some say this hotel has no entertainment......errrrm you make your own entertainment we found lots of things to do in the evenings.

No bike riding birds at this place.

We shall be returning back to this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Vinalatoya
Dear guest,
First of all, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share your impressions with us through Tripadvisor.
We are delighted to see that you enjoyed your holidays at our hotel Europe Villa Cortés.
So kind and positive comments like yours always motivate us to make our best to provide you, our guests, wonderful and memorable experiences in our house.
We will without any doubt pass your nice review to all our different teams.
We would be flattered to welcome you back in our hotel.
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2012

Having stayed again at the Villa Cortes in 2011 we vowed to never return as it really had gone downhill but due to circumstances we found ourselves returning this summer.
What a difference! This Hotel has turned things around, really improved and is back to being more like the 5 start hotel we first visited a few years ago. A group of us stayed there and everyone was impressed right through from children up to pensioners.
Staff were friendly, helpful and obliging, rooms excellent - comfortable and clean, hotel grounds spotless and welcoming, breakfast good, pool area relaxing and beds available at all times.
The beach snack restaurant was excellent - the Manager there (cant remember his name but think he was from Belgium) was eager to help, friendly, informative, and seemed passionate about what his restaurant was providing food and drinkwise. Only one negative with this snack bar was the young girls serving there were a bit forgetful and forgot our orders a couple of times so we had to always order through the manager who simply couldnt be everywhere at once so I think they could do with a couple more competent staff under him. Snack food, atmosphere, views, location all perfect for lunchtime.
All in all I think the Manager at Villa Cortes seems to have really turned things around - he is always present in and around the hotel and constantly checking his guests are happy which was really good to see and we will definitely be returning to enjoy another holiday here. Cant wait!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank FamilyHolidayUk
Dear guest,
Thank you very much for sharing your impressions about your second stay in our hotel.
We feel sincerely proud to have been able to show you our improvements. It is a great pleasure to read and share your comment with our complete staff.
We hope to welcome you back soon for your next holiday.
Nootdorp, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

We have stayed in this hotel already four times and still like to return. First of all the hotel really looks beautiful with its many Mexican colors overlooking the sea. The location is top, just at the start of one of the new shopping streets with all the modern (clothing) brands and on the other side the sea and boulevard. The rooms are very clean and also have this mexican touch. The swimming pool is also very nice, but the water is cold. The beach bar is really next to the sea and provides the usual burgers and snacks. The head waiter at the bar is a friendly Belgian chap. We visited the massage salon only once, but will definitely return. Although they have a small pool for very young children, Villa Cortes is not a hotel for children. It's simply to quiet and no activities for youngsters. Sometimes one has to wait just a bit for the person serving the coffees when relaxing at the pool. They could earn more if they would take more initiative here.
Summarizing it's a great hotel to spend a week relaxing in October, when the weather in Europe is getting cold.

Room Tip: ask for sea side
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
Thank you for sharing your impressions about your recent stay in our hotel.