“FANTASTIC AS USUAL”

Spring Hotel Vulcano
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed February 11, 2014

January has become our usual time of year to spend a month in Tenerife and the Vulcano has not disappointed yet again, in fact we both thought the food was even better than last year although we have never thought it less than excellent. The staff are so welcoming and the service second to none, we actually remarked how supportive and kind they were to any less mobile guest requiring assistance, well done. Any little snags with the room fixtures & fittings are dealt with efficiently & speedily, often before you can report a failed light bulb the electrician is at your door with a replacement. Our thanks to all the staff at the Hotel who always make our stay so fabulous, can't wait to return next year.

4  Thank bibsLancs10
springhoteles, Public Relations Department at Spring Hotel Vulcano, responded to this reviewResponded February 15, 2014

Thank you for choosing the Spring Hotel Vulcano.

Many thanks for spending time to write your five-star review on Tripadvisor.

I’m so proud reading your nice comments concerning our staff attitude. All the team works hard to provide the expected standard of service and your compliments are the best reward.

It’s also nice that you appreciated the quality of the food and that you rated the overall of the hotel as fantastic as usual. I’ll make sure to share your kind words with the entire team.

Thank you once again for your review and compliments; I look forward to welcoming you again in your next visit.

Reviewed February 10, 2014

stayed here from 3rd January for 3 weeks. room 264.
the first thing to greet us was a long queue to check in at the hotel. that has never happened before. apparently Friday is the busiest day.
the second thing to greet us was a blood spot on my pillow( under the pillowcase) with some smaller blood spots round it and on my husbands pillow there was a watery blood spot.
I left them out on show for the maid next day and she just put the pillowcases back on.
I removed them and told the man on reception and asked for 2 more pillows and nothing happened.
the next day I found 2 new pillows in the wardrobe and told the blonde girl on reception and she had them removed and I hope washed.
so the room was newly painted green. the old red sofa had gone and replaced by 2 armchairs.
no drawers now in the dressing table as that holds the fridge so 3 tiny,tiny drawers have now been fitted into one of the pigeon holes in the wardrobe.
air con was excellent.
the bath looked new and didn't need a rubber mat as it wasn't slippy and I could get out of it with no help from husband.
shower was very powerful.
but hairs were round the bath when we arrived and were never cleaned off, also hair on bidet and the bath wasn't cleaned very well at all in 3 weeks. I even cleaned it a bit myself.
on the second morning the maid knocked and barged in and we sent her out only for her to come back in 10 minutes and knock and barge straight in. no time to cover up or dash in the bathroom.
we started to put the do not disturb on the door( never had to do that in any hotel)
one night we forgot and I could hear the maid outside the door and I thought when she goes I will pop the do not disturb in the door BUT as I stood at the back of the door she knocked and barged in and as I was just there I shouted no no no and shut the door on her.
now this was before 9am !!
reception said the maid is not allowed to knock before 9am. but she did.
she had no manners and no respect. so rude.
at this point we felt we were in the army.
wakey wakey ,rise and shine, lets be having yer !!
the training must be very poor. they should knock and wait and then gently open the door and shout hola.
one day I had a very bad cold and asked another maid ( as mine wasn't around) for a packet of tissues. the maid spoke good English and said she couldn't give me any as it wasn't her room but she would get the other maid to give me 2 packets.
did I get any? no.
I told Enrique the head waiter that it was my birthday the next day. did I get a free bottle of water( I don't drink alcohol) no. nothing. volcano don't make you feel special on your birthday. ok you might be able to buy a cake but a little free gift would be nice. Enrique didn't even remember either.
apart from the porridge which is beautiful, the breakfast isn't worth getting up for.
the bacon is weird. is it bacon? at the end of the holiday there suddenly appeared some british back bacon. that was delicious but was told only for twice a week. there was chips for breakfast but these were dried up and also some birds eye potato waffles. no proper hash browns but a similar looking potato cake that looked like a hash brown.
dinners were mostly good if you got there before the rush.
I found a pottery king (it was just after xmas) in my cake. I nearly swallowed him. they said there was a king in every cake. no health and safety there then.
can you still put sixpences in xmas puddings?
bagging of beds started at 7.55am. last year it was pitch black when the baggers were out but with the new regime it has started later.
there is a barrier across the top deck but as more baggers arrived they decide to jump the barrier and get bagging. they always keep one person on guard as the other goes for breakfast. but if you leave them before 9.30 or 10am the towels etc will be bagged up and removed.
some people round the pool were using 2 mattresses and some have a bed in the shade and one in the sun. some beds in one area were out of action due to work in that area and that made a shortage of sunbeds. especially if you like the shade like me.
personally there was not enough cold rice pudding. once a week. I don't eat cakes but just love the rice pudding.
asked the manageress last year for more, asked the head waiter for more and I even asked the night manager on reception for more. did it work.? no.
there seemed to be plenty of angel delight though.
we liked to dance some nights to Robert phillipe and he can play most things and we like to liven things up a bit even though my husband is over 75.
but one day we notice a new sign appear that stated a tea dance to live music at 6pm. well a few of us rushedto get changed and came down to just the usual happy hour pianist. we asked the anaimations girl about this.#
well someone had nicked the pianists picture and they didn't have another one so they put what they could find. and it was the tea dance. I asked when did they ever have a tea dance.
never she said and the manageress approved this poster also.
last year we had room 250. the wi fi last year in the room and the balcony was wonderful. this year more or less non existent. had to go to foyer to receive a good wi fi connection. has the wi fi been reduced so we buy the better connection?
our room was nearer the reception this year. but I did get a reasonable connection by the pool.
free wi fi everywhere at the hotel bitacora for spring card holders but not at the volcano. why not?
will I be going back to the volcano.
no not for the next 2 years. I will try other hotels.

2  Thank grumbleweedleeds
springhoteles, Public Relations Department at Spring Hotel Vulcano, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2014

Thank you for choosing the Spring Hotel Vulcano.

Many thanks for taking the time to write your detailed review on Tripadvisor and for letting us know your feedback as it help us to the global services improvement.

I regret to know that, opposite to the previous years, we were not able to satisfy your expectations.

I’d like to apologize for the bad service concerning the housekeeping. Please always advise us at the moment if you see something not convenience in the room and I’d like to notice that our maids are well trained before to start to work in our company. I also will make sure that the maid at issue will be retrained again and I assure that situations as yours are absolutely unusual in the hotel Vulcano.

Regarding the rice pudding, it’s normal that some food doesn’t repeat more than once or twice a week as we try to provide a wide variety of different products.
I’d like also to explain that the pottery king in the cake is something very typical in Spain on the 6th of January and it’s totally safety.

On the other hand, I’m glad that you appreciated the bathroom and the air conditioning as well as that you enjoyed the live entertainment in bar Cascada with our singer Robert Philippe.

Thank you once again for your feedback; I do hope you will give us another chance to welcome you again in the near future.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

My wife and I stopped here for a ten day holiday at the end of Jan 2014. We have holidayed in this area many times before but this was our first trip to the Vulcano. Can confirm that this is a quality hotel where organisation, equipment, and staff are excellent and everything works well. Waiting staff are friendly and polite and work hard to ensure that there are are no delays in the restaurant and bars.
Food, though not that extensive, is varied enough and of a good quality to ensure that every meal has an excellent meal. Infact so good that we added a lunch package so that all our meals were taken in the hotel.
Guests are 70% Brits with the average age being 70+ and the vast majority have been to the hotel before. Being full of like minded people of the same age the atmosphere is polite and friendly
There are exceptions and I am sad to report that the only problem we had on this holiday was when we had to move tables so that we could hear the act because of a portly,ignorant Brit who was as loud as he was loquacious.
Entertainment is good with a different act of a decent quality on every night or if you preferred there are many bars within walking distance to suit most tastes.
Tips to new guests is to take a kettle for a brew in your room. Also make use of happy hour 6-7pm for cheap and quality drinks.
If you are in a standard room you will need to pay 4euros/day to be able to use the safe, fridge and pool towels.
Sadly must warn people to be vigilant with purses and wallets because pick pockets are rife and are even present in quality designer label shops.
But Tenerife South and the Vulcano are places that I will be returning to again and again

11  Thank Keith R
springhoteles, Public Relations Department at Spring Hotel Vulcano, responded to this reviewResponded February 9, 2014

Thank you for choosing the Spring Hotel Vulcano.

Many thanks for spending time to write your five-star and very detailed review on Tripadvisor.

I’m glad to read that you enjoyed your first stay with us and that you appreciated the overall of the hotel, especially the atmosphere, the entertainment and the variety and the quality of the food.

It’s also nice that you noticed our staff attitude. I’ll make sure to share your kind words with the entire team, who works hard to provide the expected standards of service.

Thank you once again for your nice review; I look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed February 3, 2014

We stayed at the Vulcano Playa De Las Americas from 10-24 January. This was our 4th stay at the hotel and as always we were not disappointed. The standard of service from all staff was excellent. The food was first class, with a very good choice of food at breakfast and evening meal. The rooms were comfortable. We paid a little extra for a pool view and this was very well worth while. Just one little moan about the swimming pool area. The shades which are over the sunbeds are really inadequate and should be replaced by umbrellas. The shades do not protect you in any way from the sun and I think this would be unbearable in the summer.

The only down side to the holiday was flying on a Thomas Cook 757 plane. On both journeys the meal tables were broken and we couldn't possibly eat a meal or have a nice relaxing drink. We would have to give it serious thought if we travelled with Cooks again on these planes.

Room Tip: Would recommend any room with a pool view
5  Thank warwick186400

Thank you for choosing the Spring Hotel Vulcano.

Many thanks for taking your time to write your review on Tripadvisor; although we read that your commentaries and singular rating are very good and that you rated your stay as excellent, but the overall note is very low (two of five). Please, I’d like to invite you to check again and, please, don’t hesitate to contact us for any question and/or information.

Anyway, I’m delighted that you enjoyed your fourth stay with us and that you rated the room as comfortable and the food as first class as well as it’s nice that you described our staff as excellent. I’ll share your kind words with the entire team.

I’d like to thank you also for the suggestion concerning the shades in the swimming pool area. I’ll make sure to report your feedback to the management.

Thank you once again for your review; I look forward to welcoming you again in your fifth visit.

Reviewed February 2, 2014

No complaints food service and all staff could not do enough for you .would definatly go back .the last time we went was twenty five years ago so still going strong thank you to all staff for a lovely stay

Room Tip: We had first floor pool view very good .
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Vera J
springhoteles, Public Relations Department at Spring Hotel Vulcano, responded to this reviewResponded February 3, 2014

Thank you for choosing the Spring Hotel Vulcano.

Many thanks for spending time to post your five-star review on Tripadvisor.

I’m delighted that you enjoyed your holidays with us and that we were able to satisfy your expectations. I'm also glad that you appreciated the food and the staff attitude. I’ll make sure to share your nice word with the entire team.

Thank you once again for your kind review; I look forward to welcoming you again in your next visit.

Reviewed January 24, 2014

Last September we visited the Vulcano Hotel and although the food was very good there were a few little details wanted sorting out. So returned for two weeks this January. One of the main issues was people saving sun beds at 6 00 am in the morning. They now have a member of staff who goes round at 8 00 am and any towels left on beds removes them. So I feel that has been addressed. One of the other things was at breakfast Dirty dishes were not collected and just left on tables. Alas this is still the same, we sat next to a table like this and we were there for 45mins I don't know how long they had been there before we went in but were still like that when we came out. So this issue not addressed. Also some days we had no clean towels again and had to chase after them so this not addressed either. So still feel it's not quite a Four Star Hotel not as good as it's Sister Hotel the Arona Gran.

Room Tip: Corner suites are larger and Terrace rooms are Sunny
6  Thank Glenis W
springhoteles, Public Relations Department at Spring Hotel Vulcano, responded to this reviewResponded January 25, 2014

Thank you for choosing the Spring Hotel Vulcano.

Many thanks for spending time to post your kind and detailed review on Tripadvisor.

I’m glad that you found the food very good. I’ll share your compliments with our chef Domingo and the entire cooking team.

It’s also nice that you appreciated the new policy concerning sunbeds reservation in the swimming pool area.

On the other hand, I regret that you weren’t satisfied at all with the services regarding clean tables during the breakfast and towels distribution in the room. I’d like to apologize if you didn’t feel them convenience and I’ll make sure to report your feedback to our maître, our housekeeping manager and our management.

Thank you once again for your review; I look forward to welcoming you again in the near future and I do hope you will appreciate our global services improvement.

Reviewed January 23, 2014

We returned from the Vulcano last Friday having spent ten wonderfull days there & I cant wait to go back its fantastic. Food, staff, location everything is 1st class BUT my only grumble is like Stan the sunbeds.

We were on the 5th floor & at 7.30 in the morning we could see the same group of 5 or 6 couples arranging their sunbeds on the upper sunbathing area from our balcony & this happened every day we were there. They were then there for the day weather permitting & they guarded the area extremely well. The hotel may have a new policy regarding the sunbeds but its not working.

Anyway apart from that we loved it & we dont want to sun worship every day so it really wasnt a big problem & didnt spoil our holiday. We also saw the Eagles, Bee Gees & the Beatles in the bar which was a bonus & met some really nice people including the staff.

5  Thank John V

Thank you for choosing the Spring Hotel Vulcano.

Many thanks for spending time to write your five-star and detailed review on Tripadvisor.

I’m delighted to know that you spent a wonderful holiday with us and that you appreciated the location, the entertainment, the food and the staff. I’ll share your nice compliments with the entire team.

I’d like also to thank you for the suggestion concerning sunbeds in the swimming pool area.
From few months ago we introduced a new policy, where our staff at 08 AM will remove all the towels and, from this time, all towels left unaccompanied will be removed by our lifeguard. We are working hard to make sure that all guests comply with this rule, and I’d like to apologize if it’s not working yet as expected.

Thank you once again for your kind review and for your feedback; I look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.