“great hotel” 5 of 5 bubbles

GreenLeadersGold level
Drogheda, Ireland
“great hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

stayed in the vulcano recently an found it a wonderful hotel . the food is really good and with plenty of choice so there is something for every taste. the rooms are good size and very well maintained. would recomend it as a good hotel

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nitram491520
springhoteles, Public Relations Department at Spring Hotel Vulcano, responded to this review, September 26, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Spring Hotel Vulcano.

Thank you very much for your feedback and for your five-star review. It’s always a pleasure when a guest recommends our hotel.

I’m very proud that you liked the food. I will make sure to share your positive comments with our Chef Domingo.

Last, but not least, I’m glad that the room has met your expectations. Our head of maintenance, Antonio and the rest of the staff work hard to get high standards.

I look forward to welcoming you again in the near future.
Warmest regards,

RRPP Department, Spring Hotel Vulcano.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (995)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

Booked this hotel after reading the positive reviews on Trip Advisor but didn't feel it lived up to our expectations.
Positives: - Very clean, very quiet, great for people with disability or elderly, excellent shows on 2 evenings -one 60's songs and the other was exceptional with sounds of the musicals, plenty of swimming room in the pool, the animation team were outstanding, they were so full of positive energy and were really great. Many guests said they came back year after year so obviously they loved it.
Negatives:- On the week we were there, it was mostly elderly people, and the entertainment catered for that age group - (we are 50 yrs old) we were definitely in the minority - at the end of the week there was a better mix of age groups but still mainly elderly. When entering the restaurant we were left wandering around up and down looking for made up tables - we usually ate around 8.15 pm and many tables had not been made up with knives and forks since the earlier guests had left, this became annoying by the end of the week. The food was usually just warm not red hot - I saw some guests microwaving their food so it was hotter. Several times I observed the chefs who were cooking fresh meat, picking up raw meat then used the same utensil to pick up cooked meat to put on your plate, also raw food was squeezed on the griddle touching the cooked food, I did worry about cross contamination but have to say I was never unwell. The air conditioning in our room was not controlable, we had it on and it was freezing or had to turn it off and it was too warm in the room. We did report it twice but told it wasn't a fault. On 2 days there were no sunbeds left at 9 am, we had to pay for sunbeds on the beach. People told us they had put their towels out at 5.30 am and others had already been put on sunbeds. It would be better if the no towels before 9 am policy which the hotel has was implemented.
We did have a good holiday and as I say, the hotel was lovely and clean I just feel it caters for an older age group who seem to love it and come back year after year.

Room Tip: The rooms with a terrace would be a good idea so at least you would get your own sunbed.
1 Thank dawnm7

Thank you for choosing the Spring Hotel Vulcano.

Many thanks for taking the time to post your detailed review concerning your recent stay with us in Tenerife. We take our customers comments very seriously with the aim of improving our services.

I appreciate that you had a good stay with us and especially that you find the hotel lovely and peaceful. Our target is to provide relaxing and comfortable holidays to our guests.

Our animation team is very proud and thanks you for the kind words, also our housekeeping department is pleased that you find the cleaning satisfactory.
However, I’m sorry we fell below your expectations in certain details.

I was very surprised to read your comments regarding your problem with the air conditioning. Our technical team works daily to resolve each customer trouble, and if it wasn’t possible quickly, we are used to provide an alternative room to our guests. I’m very sorry if it didn’t happen, I assure you that it was a punctual situation and I invite you to send me an email with more details so I can investigate the matter personally with our head maintenance, Antonio.

Concerning sunbeds and restaurant tables, our staff is trained to provide a good assistance as required. Our standard is to supply appropriate accommodation and service. I apologize if we had not succeeded.

Regarding the risk of cross contamination, I personally checked with our Chef de Partie Christophe the meat service process during the cooking show. I can assure that the cooks have to use different pliers for raw and cooked meal. However, to have customers who pay attention to details helps maintain a high level of service.

Many thanks for the suggestion which helps improve our service.

You cannot imagine the importance of customers’ feedbacks like yours, I’m delighted to have had the opportunity to reply to you and I hope to have been helpful in clarifying your doubts.

Your patronage and support to the hotel is very important to us and I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Sincerely yours.

Wallasey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

My self and my husband (47 & 52 ) have just returned from a 10 day holiday at the volcano on entering the reception area which is very green there was a very friendly member of staff to tell us which room we where to stay in and when we asked about a safe for our room we were asked if we wanted to take there offer that was on at the time which was (safe ,towels and fridge ) which was 40 euros which we had to pay a 10 euro deposit for .then asked if we wanted to go down for our evening meal and as we arrived at 8.30 had 30 mins left we were told if we wanted to leaveit we could take as a lunch time meal if we preferred which we used on our last day .
we where on the 7th floor which faced the side of the hotel which was good as we had a sea view the bed was very big and the room was clean and tidy which at some of the hotels we have stayed in it has not been there was plenty of space for your clothes in the wardrobe which also had a light in so you could see better when returning of a night .
the breakfast was very good plenty to choose from cereal ,porridge which was lovely ,cooked full English , fruit ,yogurt or pastries .
the evening meal was also very varied and felt as if you where eating out in a restaurant as everyone made the effort to dress nice even though the men had to wear long trousers it was nice not to see tshirts or bikinis and feet exposed while eating your meal .
there is plenty of sunbeds yes some of them where reserved before we got down there but most of this was so the ones who wanted them could be in the shade most of the day but there was still plenty in the sun , the pool was always nice and warm and was not to deep which if like my husband you are not very good in the water is good the deepest is 1.4m so there is no people jumping on top of you while you have a swim .
The hotel had a good mix of ages in and catered for all it was a nice atmosphere people said morning and goodnight when you pasted them in the lift or the lobby .
The best and last thing was we had to check out of our room at 12 o,clock but had asked the night before as we where not leaving till 6 if we could have a late check out but told that the hotel was full but we could book and room for 30 mins in which to have a shower and freshen up ready for the trip home and this was free of charge which in most hotels you either can,t do or are charged to do so overall we had a very good stay and will be returning again soon so thank you to all the staff and guests for making our stay a pleasant one

Room Tip: ask for a room at the left hand side of the hotel as this gives you a sea view
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
springhoteles, Public Relations Department at Spring Hotel Vulcano, responded to this review, September 20, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Spring Hotel Vulcano.

Many thanks for taking the time to write your kind words following your recent stay.

It’s very nice that our team delivered the best levels of service to you and that we met your expectations. All your comments are very well received and encourage us to do even better.

I’m very pleased that you appreciate the overall of the hotel as you describe it very detailed.

I will make sure to share your positive comments with the entire team.

It has been a pleasure having you staying with us and please do come back and see us soon.

Yours faithfully

Colchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

We booked our flight and hotel the week before we travelled on ba.com and stayed 6/9-13/9, the cost per person was £504 and included half board. Ba include complimentary drinks, meal and 23k of luggage per person, really roomy seats too. A very nice flight experience, would definitely consider using their website for a late booking again. We did not include transfers,(you can add into your package if you choose) we got a taxi from the airport which costs around 22€ each way. We did not pay extra to book the pool room, and with hindsight it is worthwhile paying the extra if you can. The view from these rooms is much nicer, our neighbours across the hallway invited us in and showed us their room and view, stunning at night. These rooms come with a free safe, unlocked fridge and pool towels whereas in the standard rooms you have to pay extra for these. They offer a package of 4€ per day for all three which we opted for. Our room was on the 6th floor and overlooked the walkway near to the strip of English bars. It was ok, the rooms probably need updating, but are clean and presented well. There is a hair dryer in the bathroom (I brought my own so can't comment) lots of wardrobe space, a nice tv with BBC 1 and 2, ITV and Channel 4 stations. The aircon works well, it is linked to the patio door, so if this is left open it does not work, so remember to close at night and you will have a good nights sleep. The food in the hotel is very good and the restaurant is well run. We booked the a la carte dinner on Wednesday evening, this is an extra €12.50 per person, it was very nice and worth the extra. You have waiter service and 4 courses, this was served in the dining room.
The guests are mostly over 50, those with mobility problems are very well catered for, many return year after year. So many of the guests know each other, it's a bit like a club! We are middle 50's and found it ok, (lots of guests are in their 60's and 70's) if you are under 40 you would definately be in the minority. However, If you were looking for a good hotel to bring an elderly parent to, this hotel would be the perfect choice.
The drinks were not too expensive, they have a daily happy hour 6-7pm in the main bar, buy one drink get another free (same). It would have been nice to have had this offered at the pool bar too as we would go from the pool into the main bar and felt slightly uncomfortable as most others were dressed for dinner. We were unable to keep our room beyond midday, but the hotel offers a courtesy room, 30 minutes use. You can apply for a Spring discount card on their website, this gives a 15% discount on all extras, this applies to the 2nd and subsequent visits. The hotel also offers the option to dine in one if their sister hotels, one is across the road, the Bitacora and they have one in Los Cristianos the Arona Gran. Overall we had a nice week, in a nice hotel, friendly guests who will have a chat with you. It's not a family hotel, it's a hotel for mature clientele, If that is what you are looking for this is the one for you.

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a pool view room

Thank you for choosing the Spring Hotel Vulcano.

Thank you very much also for sharing your very detailed review on Tripadvisor and for recommending the Hotel Vulcano.

I found it very interesting to read about your experiences, and I am glad you liked our hotel and offers.

Our Bar Manager and I appreciate your advice concerning the service during the Happy Hour at the pool.

We are grateful to our guests when they make a suggestion.

Thank you once again for the review and I look forward to your next visit.

Kind regards

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 14, 2013

Not a brilliant place for a couple in their 20's but it is a clean, friendly hotel with lots of activities and brilliant food. One thing Thomson did not mention is that YOU MUST WEAR TROUSERS FOR DINNER, bit of a pain when all you have is shorts so I did have to go and buy trousers. but overall I cant fault the hotel, but I think my nan would have enjoyed it more than me.

Room Tip: superior room with sea view is definitley worth the money
Dear guest,

Thank you for choosing the Spring Hotel Vulcano.

Many thanks for taking the time to write your feedback following your recent stay with us.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive comments.

We are delighted that you enjoyed the food and the entertainment. I will be passing your kind words on to our staff.

Thank you once again for the review; we hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Warm regards

norwich
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 9, 2013

Agree with jay4750. We are also a hard working couple who save up for this break in the sun, unfortunately we booked Thompson a'la carte and all this promised for the extra money! I feel our whole stay was tainted by our first impression, they do matter! We were dropped at the fantastic, in a weird jungle way, reception and a rotund little Spanish man stood at a desk labelled "check in". We walked over and smiled at him, he did not respond so we got out our paper work and put it on the desk, he said gruffly "passport", we got our passports out which he scanned one he twisted folded and rammed into his machine, no words or eye contact from him. He then said in his gruff voice "safe", to which we replied yes please, he placed a plastic key thing on the desk and said "10 euros" we asked why we had to pay to which he replied "deposit". Still no eye contact!! He pointed to lifts and said "4th floor" handed us a card and said "for food". Feeling slightly deflated we found our room at the end of a very long corridor of doors, the room was not what we expected but was clean and in a quiet corner overlooking the pool so we decided to make do.
Following our "warm welcome!!" LOL we went to the restaurant where an equally unsmiling lady sits on door duty. The food was good, plenty of choice, a bit pushy but to be expected with the numbers being catered for, lovely smiley staff who clear up promptly and brought us our drinks ordered and a receipt that was put on the table, we asked do we pay now and were told no you pay later at reception. We noted a man being told off for wearing shorts so gentlemen beware take your long trousers for evening meal or you will be scolded!
The evening entertainment is aimed at people a little more mature so we chose not to stay in the hotel but explored the resort, which we totally recommend as lots of little gems in all directions as this hotel is very well placed.
Next morning at breakfast we were subjected to our telling off by the sour faced lady on the door as we had not gone to her after our evening meal to sign for our drinks, we didn't realise this rule, apologised for our error but were made to feel very stupid for not understanding the rules even though they were new to us! However breakfast was nice with lots of choice.
Sunbeds are like everywhere people reserve early but we have experienced worse elsewhere and we were always able to get a bed if we wanted but we spent a lot of time at the lovely beaches nearby. A good 10 mins walk (not 5 mins as in brochure!) Recommend Playa de las vista beach a bit further to walk but lots of restaurants, sunbeds and a lovely beach.
Pool is basic with dubious entertainment try to contain your excitement at pool aerobics for the elderly and bingo!!
Basically this hotel looks after it's returning guests like they are special and the rules do not apply to them but they do get put in the better rooms and have reserved tables at meal times. They also seemed to include a lot of elderly customers but they do have sheltered housing ground floor apartments for them!!
As first time guests we were definitely outsiders but we met others in the same boat and in true British manner enjoyed and laughed together.
Our Thompson rep went to the same charm school as the others just wants you to buy excursions but not to talk or ask questions, welcome meeting was a kin to first day at school and a waste of good sunbathing time!
All in all a good central hotel with nice staff apart from the 3 we mentioned who really change the ambiance and we won't be returning to get the perks we will go to one of the neighbouring hotels as we really enjoyed Tenerife.

Room Tip: Go back year after year and you will get an upgrade!
2 Thank drcraigo
springhoteles, Public Relations Department at Spring Hotel Vulcano, responded to this review, September 14, 2013

Thank you for choosing the Spring Hotel Vulcano.

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments and for expressing your opinions as it leads to the improvement of our global services.

I was surprised to read your comments regarding to the staff who assisted you, as all of the members are trained to a high standard and are always trying to please our guests. This is not the form in any way to care our clients. Please accept my apology for the negative attitude of the colleagues at issue. I assure you I’ve forwarded the occurred to the front desk manager.

Regarding our reserving rooms and tables policy, we usually reserve seat in the restaurant to people with disability, in a predetermined time, as well as part of the floor 0 is specialized to people with disability. In spite of that I’m sorry if you had the sensation that you were treated differently from other guests.

I’m glad that you liked the location as well as food and restaurant service. I will share your comments with our Chef Domingo and with our Maître Daniel. It’s also nice to know that you noticed the “Green Theme” of the hall.

Nevertheless I’m very sorry if your experience was not as positive as the high standard that we want to, but I would once again like to thank you for sharing your opinions.

If you would be kind enough to course your next accommodation need in Tenerife through my office I would be delighted to take personal care of your booking. I do hope we have the chance to welcome you back to the Spring Hotel Vulcano.

Yours faithfully,

north west, england
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 7, 2013

This is an honest review from a couple who are normal hardworking people, who save up each year for a nice holiday in a nice hotel. We booked this through Thomas Cook for 1 week HB, paying extra for a pool view and the hotel is advertised as 4 stars…..
Let me start by saying Thomas Cook were fantastic, and I will explain more later in this review.
The Vulcano is not even close to a 4 start hotel, and in my humble opinion it would struggle to achieve 3 stars. How TC can advertise this as 4 stars is beyond me, and the fact they dealt with our complaints so quickly and without question supports my concerns.
We arrived at the hotel at approx 7pm. The reception is very grand looking, but do not let this fool you. The gentleman on reception checked us in and it was evident he could not be bothered. He gave us our room cards and took a deposit for the safe and pointed us to the lift. That was it. Not even a ‘enjoy your stay’. When the lift door opened we were faced by a smashed mirror panel covered with cardboard. When we got off on floor 7, I thought we had stepped into the 1980’s and this was confirmed when we entered our room. It was the worst hotel room I have ever seen!! It smelled musky, it was painted a dirty dull creamy brown, and this was complimented (or not as the case was!) by 1980’s furniture and fittings! The dirty plastic table and chairs on the balcony topped it all off. I called reception and asked if all the rooms were the same. Yes was the reply. After what can only be described as a poor breakfast the next morning (in a large dining room which reminded me of a sea side cafe in Blackpool) we went to speak to the TC rep and said we were not happy with the standard of the hotel. He listened to our concerns and immediately offered to move us. In a nut shell, TC found us a fantastic 4 star hotel and facilitated our move within 5 hours. This was the highest level of customer care and TC should be commended for this. I have never in my life requested to be moved from a hotel, so this was a new experience for me and my girlfriend. The hotel they moved us to was called the H10 big sur in Los Cristianos, and what a fantastic hotel!! This is what a 4 star hotel is supposed to be like!! We had a fantastic week, and will be returning next year.
As for the Vulcano, well if you like poor service in a 1980’s style hotel which in reality would do well to achieve 3 stars, then book it. If you want a proper 4 star with class and a touch of luxury, then book the H10 big sur!!!

Room Tip: If you want a fantastic room, book a pool view at the H10 big sur in Los Cristianos!!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple