“Might be nice if you are italian”
Review of Sol Tenerife

Sol Tenerife
Reviewed August 27, 2013

Stayed for 1 week half board, we ate out everyday because they just seemed to cater for Italian people, the hotel was decorated with Italian flags and we found it very hard to find anybody that spoke good English

• Stayed: January 2013
Carlos F, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol Tenerife, responded to this reviewResponded January 18, 2014

Dear ,

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Sol Tenerife. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

Reviewed August 27, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this Hotel and found it quite nice, First the room staff were as good as you can get, always a smile and a good morning .
The reception on arrival was busy, but that's normal for most hotels when. Coach arrives. We had put on our booking form certain requests , normally we believed that no one ever read the requests, but to our pleasant surprise they had done so and our requests were met, so a big plus for that.
Wine was not expensive and the food was sometimes really good other times Good with plenty of choice , but never bad .
We have spent many Holidays on the island and can only say the proof to us is that we will return, it fact I along with friends have booked to return ion Jan 6th staying for 10 nights with Monach
Regards Mr Ken Smith

• Stayed: May 2013

Dear 33rdpara,

On behalf of all the Hotel's staff, let me thank you for choosing the Sol Tenerife and taking the time to share your good experience and opinion on Tripadvisor.com. It was a great pleasure to have you with us and know that we were able to make your stay an unforgettable experience in Tenerife.

Please feel free to contact us should we be of assistance. We remain at your disposal and look forward to welcoming you back.

Best regards,

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Having already reviewed our accommodation at Parque Santiago (see this review) we were forced to stay at Sol Tenerife for an unexpected extra night due to homeward bound flight problems. My family and I have never stayed anywhere so bad ever before, no wonder Thomas Cook pulled out of this accommodation, but it was amongst the only places they could get to accommodate the delayed flight passengers. We were split in to two, twin bedded rooms. So small the cases had to go on the table. Small bathroom, with shower and bath gel dispensers near the hand basin and the bath, but the bath one was empty (which I found out when it was too late). I think they must have forgotten to put electric in when they built this place as the only available electric sockets were one in the bath room (for a shaver) and one that the TV was plugged in to, no others at all for chargers etc. There was a tiny balcony but how they expect even just two people to manage in this room I don't know. That wasn't the worst. The Sol Tenerife is at the heart of Playa de las Americas night life. The loud music went on til 6.00am and was unbareable. Only got 1 1/2 hours sleep! I don't know if larger rooms are any better, if they are why are the twin bedded rooms so bad? It was a good job this was a one night stay, if I won a competition to stay here I'd turn it down.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank HazzaNorfolk

Dear HazzaNorfolk,

Thank you for sharing with us your experience in the Sol Tenerife Hotel because it is really important for us to know how your stay was.

We are sorry if we did not meet your expectations, be assured that we have taken note of your comments in order to enhance our services. We hope that you will give us other opportunity to accommodate you, in order to recover your trust in our hotel and provide you with the best of our attention to make your stay a memorable and very special experience.

Reviewed August 26, 2013

Staying at sol tenerife this year was appauling! On arrival we were greated with a rude wait at reception, unorganised rooms and a cash only policy. Immediately we were asked for a €40 deposit for the towels and a €30 charge for wifi per mobile device!! So you can not share a code. Our rooms had baby cockroaches! And these were also around the pool side and the lobby! We asked to move rooms to no avail...

Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank A P

Dear A P,

At Sol Tenerife, we continuously strive to meet your needs and expectations; therefore your feedback is very important to us. We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Excellent hotel ,very central to everything,,rooms are very basic 3* Food is very good with a wide range of everything, to please everyone..The entertainment is outstanding brilliant different shows every night ..I would highly recommend this hotel even thou I personally rate it a 3* room everything else is 4* clean rooms and good food and drink .two pools and plenty of sun beds .If possible get a room in the B block a lot quieter away from veronicas.

Room Tip: get one in B block less quieter
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sue19612013

Dear Sue19612013,

Thank you for choosing the Sol Tenerife hotel in Tenerife.

We would like to express our regret for not being able to reach your expectations during your stay, as our most important wish is the complete satisfaction of all our guests. However, we sincerely appreciate your opinion and will continue striving to improve each day. Please accept our sincere apologize.

You can be sure that you will always be welcome at Sol Tenerife.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed August 15, 2013

We just got back a couple of days ago from Tenerife. Our experience at Sol Tenerife was almost excellent. We were checked in as soon as we arrived even though it was still early in the morning. So, if they have available rooms they will check you in immediatly.

THE ROOMS
The rooms we got were in tower B at the 9th floor- sea side view. The view form our balcony was spectacular. The only drawback is the room itself. Not a 4* room by any means. The furniture, TV, minibar are outdated. If you look at the pictures of the hotel's rooms (they were made in 1979) that are on the walls in the reception area you could swear that nothing has changed. In the middle of the room was a wooden door which lead into the next room. The door it's very thin and has little cracks on the sides near the hinges so you could easily see in the other room. Not to mention that when our neighbours whispered it seemed like they were talking in our room. It didn't mind us at all but I guess some other guests wouldn't like it. The rooms are spotless. The cleaning lady on the 9th floor was the employee of the month and you could tell why.
I would rate the room itself with 7.5 / 10, but due to the view and the cleanliness an easy 9/10.

THE FOOD
We were on a halfboard basis. Breakfast is good indeed. Plenty of choices for everyone of us. Dinner was more than we expected after reading the reviews. Every night they serve beef, chicken, pork, fish (2 or 3 species), paella, pastas, pizza, sidedishes, fruits, cakes and so on. They do cook it somehow different : grill, with sauces, fried. Before going to dinner ask yourself if you get to eat back home 4 or 5 different types of meat every evening (I really couldn't say a thing for the vegetarians). The restaurant is very spacious and the dinner lasts for three and a half hours so you always have a free table and you don't have to wait in line to get your food. It is very difficult to satisfy hundreds of hungry tourists every day. One evening I saw eight different nationalities at a glance : french, italians, brits, ruski, spanish, potuguese, romanians everyone of them with it's culinary tastes.
I would rate the food 9/10 (one of my friends is very picky when it comes to food and was able to have a decent meal every day)

THE STAFF
The staff is very helpful. There wasn't a single matter that the front desk staff wasn't able to deal with. The cleaning staff cheerful and smiling. The pool bar staff even remembered our choices (a double espresso for me, cappucino with extra "schiuma di latte" for my wife, espresso for my friend and normal cappuccino for his wife). The only one who seemed to be from a different movie at the pool bar was Manolo (sorry amigo, but I know older people as you who aren't so grumpy - the coffee saucers shouldn't fly across the bar when placed in front of me and a glass of Coca Cola should have more than ice and Coca Cola foam).
Staff : 9/10

THE SWIMMING POOLS
First of all I should mention the fact that we stayed at the hotel's swimming pools on two or three ocassions only for a couple of hours. The swimming pools area and the water are very clean. There wasn't any problem with the sunbeds and umbrellas. Every morning at 10 clock we went for a coffee at the pool bar. Even though we didn't stay at the pool I can tell you that there a lots of sunbeds available. One day we came back at the hotel at around 5 o'clock in the afternoon and there were like twenty available sunbeds near the pool. We got four sunbeds at the pool situated at the higher level. The view is amazing. The ocean and the palm trees are in front of you. Quite relaxing.
Swimming pool area and pool bar : 9/10.

LOCATION & SLEEP QUALITY
The hotel is located in the heart of Playa de las Americas. The ocean is 20 meters away from the swimming pools area. There isn't a beach in front of the hotel. The closest beach with bars, umbrellas, sunbeds is within a 5 minute walk distance in front of the Troya hotel and Monkey Beach Club.
There are lots of bars, restaurants and clubs near the hotel. Nearby is the "famous" (I still don't know why) Veronicas street. The only decent club on that street is Papagayo. The rest of the bars/clubs are packed with kids desperate to get cheaply drunk. Funny fact : on the first night we went out for a drink at a "club" on Veronicas. The owner was not satisfied that the music coming from the next bar was louder than his. So he turned up the volume to its max untill the noise was unbearable. That was not music, that was noise. Imagine 15 bars located under your room's window with their amps turned up at full volume. Our rooms headed the other way of Veronicas. On that street they closed the bars at 2 a.m. and it was very quiet. You should be advised, as we were, that you could get a mix of noises till morning if your room heads the Veronicas street (as 80% of the rooms are). I guees if you close your balcony's door it gets quieter. We knew what to expect so it didn't bother us at all. We woke up at 9 a.m. every morning and went to bed at 2 or 4 o'clock in the morning, so you could play drums in the room and it still wouldn't bother us.
Location and sleep quality : 9/10

Tip : we rented a car for four days. Go to Las Teresitas Beach (near Santa Cruz de Tenerife), Playa Fanabe (Costa Adeje), Garachico piscines naturales, Puerto de la Cruz (cosy town) and Lago Martinez - the biggest and most beautiful swimming pool I've ever seen (with salt water), Los Gigantes, Masca. If this is your first time in Tenerife don't just stay at the hotel's swimming pool. But then again it's a matter of taste, financial posibilities and so on.

Overall I would give this hotel and easy 9 out of 10. As I mentioned throughout this review it depends on what you are looking for. The hotel met all our requirments and expectations.

Cheers to all travellers !!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
12  Thank RaduBogdanD

Dear RaduBogdanD,

On behalf of all the Hotel's staff, let me thank you for your nice words, as well as for taking the time to share your experience and opinion on tripadvisor. We highly appreciate it as we work with true hospitality vocation and continuously strives to meet our guests expectations.

It is always a pleasure to receive positive comments from our guests and a satisfaction to know they had a wonderful stay with us. We will be grateful if you recommend this hotel in Tenerife, but we also hope you will give us the chance to welcome you again in a near future.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

It's the entertainment staff that keeps this hotel going along with the cleaners who keep it spotless! If your alinclusive you are repeatedly asked why you have that amount of drinks, how many rooms do you have and how many people per room. You're asked for your room number and signature every time you request a drink at the bar and at dinner at night. There is no bar inside that is open and no tv! The only bar is out at the pool with cheeky staff who do not realise the amount of money you have spent to be alinclusive! The food is ok breakfast is the best. Same food for lunch and dinner and their salad bar us poor! Everything had to be asked for with many questions being asked! It's like being at school. They wouldn't even serve my son a mixed slush, it was either red or blue! It put him off going for a drink and always sent us instead. When we arrived we had to wait nearly 2 hours to get into our room. The double room is very small with a very small balcony. The nightlife is too loud for families to sleep. The pool was great and the entertainment staff were brilliant and they are the people who made the holiday. I've been to iberostar hotels and they are second to none with their food, staff and drinks. Tenerife sol only had 2 cocktails for alinclusive guests. All drinks are served in plastic tumblers, even beer not a pint glass in fact it's less than half a pint you get in a glass. Soft drinks are served in a very small plastic tumbler without lay ice. Snack bit area is ok with hamburgers, hotdogs, chips, nuggets I that's what you like. A deposit is left for towels for pool but if you want them changed its an extra euro! I've been toay hotels and when your alinclusive it means what it says!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Julietober
Carlos F, Director de Relaciones con Clientes at Sol Tenerife, responded to this reviewResponded January 16, 2014

Dear Julietober,

We appreciate the time you took to share your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the future as well as provide you the best of our attention.