3,378 results
All reviewsa mountain view roomon arrivalpool areakids clubmare nostrum resortbed and breakfastglass of champagnesister hotelaqua aerobicspool partybit datedfoam partysir anthonyan updateplenty of sunbedsfantastic locationflat screen
Reviewed July 30, 2009

From the outside it doesn't look that impressive, but once you get inside the lobby is huge with massive chandeliers and water features. We were waiting for 25 minutes to check in, but we were given a glass of champagne which made the wait bearable!
We got there at 11am straight from the airport and you were only supposed to be able to check in from 2pm, our allocated room wasn't ready so they quickly found us another. Reception staff were very helpful and pleasant.
The room was pretty good - decor a little dated but it was clean and a decent size. The shower was very powerful which I like. The TV had over 40 channels, however only 3 news channels and the travel channel were english. The air con was fab, the balcony was an average size and has two plastic chairs and a table. We had a mountain view room, we were on the second floor overlooking the main road with restaurants and lots of people around at night, but not too noisy.
Cleaners come every 2 days, but the only complaint I had was they would knock, give it 2 seconds and burst in, even when you hung the 'do not disturb' sign on the door. A lady with a trolley also let herself in asking us if we would like to buy any drinks! The mini bar can be emptied for you to be used as a fridge, but at 19 euros a week it's a bit expensive. If you keep the air con on you can keep bottled water just on the side and it's cool enough to drink.
Breakfast was good, I've never seen so much choice in my life! The only bad thing was the scrambled eggs and potato omlette, they tasted like fairy liquid! Everything else was good, but I doubt very much the 'english sausage' was english, it tasted like tinned hot dogs! There is so much choice though it's impossible to find something you don't like. You can even have a glass of champagne with your breakfast. We didn't eat lunch or dinner as it was 20-25 euros per person, and I didn't think this represented good value.
Pool area was really good, there is notice saying don't reserve sunbeds, but unless you are prepared to sit in the shade until the sun comes up, it really is the only way you'll get one unless you are lucky.
We didn't stay in at night so can't comment on the entertainment, but the hotel is on a street with loads of family bars and restaurants. There is a shopping complex and it's all really well decorated, there are twinkly lights and flowers all over and it looks like they have invested a lot of money into the area. Into the clubbing area of Las Americas, it's a 15-20 minute work or a 5 euro taxi.
Overall I would recommend this hotel, the rate we good was good value for the standard, you are spolied for choice with breakfast and the location is fantastic. Would recommend for families. I'd probably go back if I was to revisit Tenerife.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank short70
Reviewed July 30, 2009

I went to Tenerife for the first ti me in Sep 2007 and stayed at the Med palace. I'm going to cut to the chase and list the Good and bad points:

Good:
Extremely Clean
Friendly and helpful staff
Elegant rooms
Large Balcony
Amazing Swimming Pool
Delicious food and lots of it
Rooms Cleaned regularly
Brilliant room service
Fantastic Location

Bad Points:

I only stayed for one week instead of two!

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 25, 2009

Average
To sum up what follows below, if you choose this hotel you won’t spend a nightmare holiday but….you‘ll have to close your eyes on some aspects as the word to best describe this hotel is simply average.

Hotel in itself
(We had room 6025)
The hotel is visible from far away as it had a special structure (semi-circle) and color (blue…. really blue). It helps when arriving by car. ;-) It’s 20 min from the airport.
The inner side of the circle or U is facing the sea and the Sir Anthony hotel.
The outside base of the U has sight on the av. of the Americas which is a normal street for noise etc. (most restaurants are further away)
The base of the U has 6 floors whereas the sides have 4 floors. Note that you can see the sea from the 4th floor but I ‘m not sure you can from lower floors.
We were on the 6th floor and the view was nice. Sea view means also pool/restaurant view.
On the U outside side, you have a mountain view at the base of the U, or view on the other Mare Nostrum hotels and its promenade on the right side of the U, and on the street Luis Posada (very calm) and some low buildings on the left side.

On the inner side, you have a big courtyard where the stage for entertainment is installed and you take some stairs to go below to the swimming pool. (or you can take the lift but just to explain the double floor view)

Sun exposition:
The inner right side of the hotel receives the sun in the morning and the left side in the evening. The inner base of the U doesn’t receive direct sun in summer as the sun is right above the hotel and the terraces are protected by a roof. This was really not a bad aspect (for us) as it can get really hot otherwise.
(You can deduct the sun exposition for the outside part of the hotel from above.)

Rooms
The rooms are approx. 3m X4m. The official rating of the hotel is 5 stars but for the size of the room it’s definitely an upper 3 stars and no more. This is what first strikes you when you enter the room. Again this aspect won’t ruin your stay as you‘ll get used to it but…
Between the TV furniture and the bed bottom you have 60 cm.
The terrace is nice 1.80m X 3m and it offers two plastic chairs and one table.

In accordance with the previous reviews the rooms are indeed outdated for both the furniture and the structure. The furniture seems to date back to the 70’s although this hotel is max 20 years old (a little bit more than 15 years old I think). Some parts were replaced and not in the same room colors which gives a strange impression.
Everything worked in our room.
For the structure, you can see scratches on the room side table, on the floor. There are some cracks on the wall and its corners.
Again this won’t ruin your stay but participate to the general disappointment impression.

The bathroom is normal with all you need. The bath/shower has no possibility for a shower with a movable shower end that you hold in your hand moving it on you body (I hope you see what I mean). There’s just a diffusion of the water coming up over your head.
As for the hair dryer: one comment: simply take yours.

All rooms have air conditioning which worked perfectly. It’s a but noisy so if you want to leave it in the night I don’t think you can. We didn’t as we don’t like artificial temperature in the room but I think if you leave it you’ll get frozen.

Cleaning/housekeeping
For what you may see first, you’ll have the impression there’s always a lady cleaning in some place in this hotel. They are cleaning the surroundings of the pool each morning (no noise) with a machine. They are cleaning the rest of the hotel all day long.

As for the room cleaning, I had to request that they take extra care in cleaning (and they did) as I could see some hair left on the room floor and traces of make up in the bathroom (from the previous guests). The room was not awfully dirty, it was just these details but not very nice when you enter the room.
I must say the cleaning ladies really don’t have proper material and don’t have a hoover to clean the room. They can just use a sweeping thing and a mob. I don’t know why they don’t give them a hoover to clean but then, you understand why your room cannot be 100% clean.
Having seen this, I’ve given up on this aspect.
However, I had left (not intentionally) a small trace of toothpaste in the sink and it was still there in the evening. So the problem might be parted between staff and material availability…
No comment at all on clean sheets, pillows, towels, etc.

Entertainment
I think the hotel management spends a lot in entertainment. You have a show for the kids from 20h for one hour I think. Then at 21h, a show begins on the stage in the inner part in open air. So you can watch it from your room. They can have pretty goods show with acrobats etc. We endured J a karaoke. This lasts until 23h30.
This can be a positive aspect for some guests and it can be nice I’m sure. But…this lasts very late (and don’t think we go to bed at 20h!! more like 23/24h.): if you want to do a tour in the next morning and get up a bit early, you’ll be tired for sure.
The 2nd aspect of this is that the music can be incredibly loud: even when you close the windows you can hear it; two nights the show was not interesting so we tried to watch tv but we could barely hear the tv itself. This gives you an impression of aggressive atmosphere and non-rest that you may not enjoy during your stay.
May be nice to have a mountain view to enjoy entertainment or rest as YOU choose what to do and when to enjoy it.
The sound is also amplified by the U structure of the building.

Restaurant
I was prepared to give a high appreciation on this but we were sick the last night just after dinner so this was the last aspect of the disappointment package. We felt better the next morning but we had clearly the signs of food poisoning.

If I take out this incident, the restaurant is the strong part of the hotel. First it’s really nice in its design/decoration and you appreciate seeing this getting out of the 70’s ;-) and second you won’t starve for sure, especially at breakfast.
I can’t tell you what you may choose from but you‘ll find what you need for sure. (I’ll post pictures very soon).
Given the size of the restaurant, there are in fact two identical buffets. One is emptied when the restaurant opening times end (10:30 & 22:00) but the other remains until there are no more guests.
For the dinner, you’ll also find something to eat that suits you. Of course after some days (5?), it can be repetitive but I must say this happens in each hotel I’ve been to. And don’t forget they need to have each evening the basic stuff for the kids: pasta, French fries etc.
There’s a part in the restaurant which is called the kids buffet. From what I saw, a person of the entertainment staff stay with the kids in this buffet which has small colored chairs and tables.

Staff
We didn’t have major issues with the staff and a special mention is to be made for the restaurant waiters. They are all very nice and available.
I’m not sure however that you’ll be guaranteed to have a good support in case of problem. I was shocked that when we left and said we had been sick due to the buffet that the guy at the reception didn’t even apologise or say anything (ex. ‘I’m sorry’ even if it was not true!!!). He just shook a bit his shoulders and this gave us the exact impression he didn’t care less. Working regularly with hotels, I was astonished and this was just the last point which will make me write a letter to the management both in Tenerife and in Spain (HQ)

Car park
The Mediterranean has a car parking for about 40 cars. The mare nostrum hotels to which you have access to for about 30. This is nice but it can be crowded at high season.

Swimming pool
This was the main reason for choosing this hotel and it was nice though (as you might except at this point) some small things lacked.
For the availability around the pool, at 8:00 the day we left (high season and the hotel was full), 3 ‘seats’ were reserved so it ‘s not a rush at 7:00 as I’ve read for a lot of hotels. Now, you can be sure that around 9h, when people come down to take their breakfast they book them.
We went around the pool once at 13:00 and after a while (10 min) we found two seats.
At the check-in, you receive a card for each person for a towel. You give it to the person at the pool and he’ll give you one towel. When returning you get your card back.

The pool is large though a bit smaller than I expected from the pictures that enlarge it a bit. But the structure in itself is nice.
As for cleaning, I must say the pools walls were not 100% clean and some spaces between the mosaics were black in some parts of the pool. There was a large trace all around the pool when water meets air.
My partner told me the last day when the hotel begun to be fully booked that the water with more people was beginning to be not so clear.
For the temperature, I cannot say a lot as we are used to swim quite a lot so we are used to colder water and don’t notice if it’s warmer or not.

Beach
You have access to the beach via the back of the swimming pool and a door commanded like your room by a security card system. You walk 2 minutes and there’s the beach across the promenade. Another one is 5 min away on your left.

Checking in
Remember you can always request the floor you’re booked. We requested upper floor and had a 6th floor. This is not guaranteed but if available, the hotel usually gives us what you requested.
Remember also that checking out is 12:00 so if you’re arriving at 11:00, your room might not be ready and you’ll have to wait a couple of hours (the hotel offered us a drink). Contact the hotel to mention you have an early arrival. Again this doesn’t guarantee anything but might help compared to other guests not having mentioned this.
I suggest as a general rule to double check yourself the bookings (hotel, cars) as your tour operator may always make non voluntary mistakes as it happen to all of us. J
Our tour operator requested a ‘NOT on the ground floor room’ and the hotel understood of course ON the ground floor (I understand the mistake as making negative recommendation is usually misleading)

So the summary of all this is really the average rating for us. I won’t recommend this hotel but if somebody has already booked it, don’t be too anxious: simply be prepared to be a bit flexible.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 23, 2009

Hotel was fantastic the staff especially the management were more than helpful they went out of their way to help you the maid service was really good made animals out of towels to make your room special for anniversaries food was great will definitely go back to this hotel

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 11, 2009

When i booked this hotel last year it was rated 5*. So i was very exited, until we got there. From the outside it looked old! Inside, the entrance was big with elevators with windows. The room was awfull small and old. The bathroom was small. On the terras we looked out on the pool with is a great view, we could also see the sea. So that was nice but a night the animation was underneath us, so there was no sleeping until after midnight sadly. The food was ok but definetly not wow! (for a 5*) We ate twice at the hotel, and the other night to a restaurant. The big pool was nice but to much people around the pool, u had to search for an empty bed and a there were loud! works at hotel Sir Anthony (which looked beautiful). But it was right next to the pool what made it for me imposseble to stay there. If we were swimming we stayed at the hotel next to ours (which also belonged to our group of hotel, that was better at all the rest (quiet, beatiful restaurant)
It was next to the beach and the big shopping street, which is a plus. But if i knew up front i would have booked somewhere else.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple