“Used to be up-market...”

Mediterranean Palace Hotel
Reviewed June 18, 2014

We have stayed in this hotel many times. The location is great - close to restaurants, bars, shops, the beach and places to walk along the coast. The staff are efficient. The people working by the pools, giving out the towels, will always rush over to help with putting up an umbrella.
There is an entertainment programme. There are two pools, one of which is smaller and quieter if that is what you prefer.
The bar offers a good selection of cocktails and I can really recommend the champagne cocktail!
The design of the hotel aims for a feeling of luxury and grandeur with the high ceilings, fountains, marble and mirrors everywhere. Unfortunately the hotel is really beginning to show its age and a lack of maintenance. Many of the mirrored pillars are cracked. In one of the lifts one of the mirrored panels was held together with duct tape. The stuffing was spilling out of some of the seats in the public area near the bar.
I'm not bothered by the fact that the rooms are looking a bit tired - black furniture that is chipped - but I was surprised by the sloppy repainting job. There were paint drips on the sink, the tiles, the picture, the telly! Cleaning was not up to scratch either in the room.
The selection of food at breakfast was excellent but I was horrified to see another guest tipping a cockcroach off a seat on our last morning....
On Saturday night there was a disco which was outside - although it was so loud that it sounded as if it was in the room. It finished at 11.30pm and was followed by the football which finished at 1am. Someone from customer care apologised the following day and explained that the hotel was trying to appeal to a different market.
It strikes me that the hotel is going down-market - symbolised, perhaps, by the tacky plastic flowers in the public areas which have apparently been made by hotel staff from recycled materials.

Room Tip: Avoid the pool-side rooms unless you don't intend to go to bed until late. You can still hear th...
2  Thank Maureen G
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Mediterranean Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2014

Dear Guest,

First of all let me thank you for taking the time to share with us your disappointment.

I´m really sorry to know that our facilities and services ar so far below your expectations now.

As you might have read in previous comments, we are planning a full room refurbishment that will certainly solve some of the issues you have described. However some of the points you have mentioned show a lack of care from our maintenance and cleaning staff that should have never happened.

Please, accept my sincere apologies for the inconveniences. I will take immediate action and ensure that our cleaning service maintains the level expected by our guests.

Although I can understand your disappointment, I hope to have the chance to welcome you again at any of our Hotels within the resort, where you might be able to enjoy a quieter atmosphere. In all cases I would like to thank you for your loyalty throughout the latest years.

Do not hesitate to contact me for anything you might need regarding future bookings. I´ll be pleased to take personal care of your reservation.

Esteban Sedano

Write a ReviewReviews (3,095)

Reviewed June 17, 2014

We have stayed at this hotel many times in the past and have always spoken well of it, see previous reviews, but things seem to be on a downward spiral and we will not be returning here anytime soon.

The whole place is in need of some TLC. There is cracked and peeling concrete, tiles and plaster all around the complex. We lost count of the number of mirrors we saw broken and taped up. Our room had been repainted (white walls and ceiling) and the painters had not bothered to use dust sheets. Now ordinarily that might not be too drastic but when you have black furniture covered in white paint splashes then it sticks out like a sore thumb. There was paint on the TV, paint on the cupboards, paint on the headboard. It could easily be cleaned off but should not have happened in the first place. Someone commented that the place is clean, well it isn't. Our room had a pile of dust on the floor under one of the chairs when we arrived and it was still there a week later. The bath surround was very grubby and in need of a good clean and there were ants everywhere in our room. We also saw cockroaches around the resort and in the restaurant.

When we booked in our room was not quite ready and the receptionist explained that we would have to wait because he really wanted us to have this room as it had a lovely pool view and got the late afternoon sun on the balcony. We didn't have to wait long and the room was as described. What we weren't told was that we would not be able to sleep because of the noise from the disco (Saturdays until 11.30pm) and the outdoor TV installed for the world cup, games finish at 1am. The disco might just well have been in our room it was so loud, we were offered another room to sleep in that night but when we went to check it out it was not much better, the disco was just too loud. The following day I got a letter from 'guest services' asking me to drop by and see them, I joined the queue of people waiting to see them and receive apologies for the noise. I understand that the disco is a new innovation designed to attract a particular type of client, trouble is it will deter others, us included.

As I said at the start of this review we have been coming to this hotel for years, we have witnessed its slow decline. There is a lot to commend it, location, staff, services etc. but they really need to start spending some money to update/repair interior and exterior and if they really want a disco then build one and sound proof it. This is no longer a hotel to go to if you are looking for a quiet relaxing holiday. We shall not be returning.

Room Tip: If you are looking for a quiet relaxing week, book another hotel.
4  Thank kevinsteer
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Mediterranean Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2014

Reviewed June 17, 2014

This holiday came to us via A1 travel email, which proved to be a bargain. The hotel we could not fault(although we did upgrade to sea view room) we were only bed and breakfast which was faultless and we ate outside every day. The hotel is very central and convent for walking along the front. We can't wait to go back again

Room Tip: Ask to upgrade otherwise you will be on roadside room
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Mediterranean Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your short but positive review and for posting it here on Tripadvisor.

I´m glad to know that you have enjoyed your stay with us and I hope to have the chance to welcome you again in future visits to Tenerife.

I suggest you to visit our web page, where you will find aditional information about our best promotions and availability.

Reviewed June 16, 2014 via mobile

Well just arrived back from another amazing stay at this hotel! Its really frustrating seeing some people reviews over the most pettiest things! The rooms in the hotel are dated but how much time do you spend in your room whilst on holiday? Its clean and thats the main thing! I honestly haven't got a bad word to say about this hotel, has everything you could possibly need, all the staff are more than helpful. The location is PERFECT! If my desires weren't to see different parts of the world I could happily holiday here every year! This is my 2nd year at this hotel and i'm already planning another trip in the near future! Please don't let any of the negative reviews put you off this hotel, some people just look for things to moan at (and usually i'm one of them!) Can't wait for my next trip here :)

• Stayed: June 2014
2  Thank Natalie-Millard

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice comments and positive review.

I´m glad to know that your experience with us has been so positive and I would like to thank you for your loyalty.

Nothing will please us more than welcoming you again in future visits to Tenerife. Do not hesitate to conatct us for anything you need.

Best regards,

Reviewed June 15, 2014

Just returned after a very relaxing 10 nights. From the start to the end of my holiday I was very impressed, The staff were very friendly on check in as usual ( saying this as been to this hotel for the last 10 years now) Yes the rooms are a little tired but have to say they are VERY CLEAN.
Housekeeping each day fresh towels daily fresh bed sheets every 2 days. We had a problem with our air conditioning on the 3rd day reported it and as it could not be fixed that day we were up graded straight away to a beautiful sea view.

The pool has lots going on in the day which you can join in or just watch from your lounger and I'm loving the waiters on skates.

This hotel is in a great location and offers great service I would recommend here to friends and family and I'm looking forward to coming back in the near future.

Keep up the good work guys :-)

Stayed: June 2014
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Mediterranean Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 16, 2014

Dear GUest,

Thank you very much for posting here your review.

I´m very pleased to know that, once again, you have found our services up to your expectations. I would also like to take the chance to thank you for your loyalty.

Nothing could pelase us more than welcoming you again soon. Do not hesitate to check our best rates at our web page.

Reviewed June 15, 2014

This is our fourth stay at this hotel and cannot fault it in any way. Staff are all polite and the receptionists very obliging. The pool are is lovely and spotlessly clean, with plenty of sunbeds to go round. The rooms although they are a bit dated they are cleaned everyday. we love the new shop which is very handy and is cheap as well, it is a good addition to the hotel. It is nice to access the beach from the pool area and no need to take towels from home as they are provided with a small deposit which is returnable on departure. We have only stayed bed and breakfast but the restaurant is spotless and there is a wide variety of foods and even champagne every morning for those who want it. We will be returning in August.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank siatermaria

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your nice review and for sharing it here on Tripadvisor.

I would also like to take the chance to thank you for your loyalty, much appreciated.

I´m happy to read that you have enjoyed our services and facilities and I will be glad to welcome you again in August.

Do not hesitate to contact us for anything you might need. We´ll be happy to assist you.

Reviewed June 15, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here in March for a week and started off well. Nice reception area, friendly welcome and nice interior. We expected the rooms to be of as high standard but were disappointed. They were very dated and in urgent need of an update. If they carried the theme from reception area to the rooms it would be so much better.

The location of hotel is good and the pool area is nice however this is not a 5 star hotel. I took ill during my holiday and caught a sickness bug. A lady who worked in a nearby pub told me there had been an outbreak in the mare nostrum resort and several people she knew were affected. My wife soon caught the bug and it took her more than a week to recover.

I know this is not the hotel's fault but they could have been more vocal about the outbreak and put a dampener on our holiday. All in all would not stay here again.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LanarkshireTraveller

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your opinion.

I´m sorry to read that some aspects of our facilities have not been up to your expectations.

We are planning a full room refurbishment soon that will hopefully bring our rooms back to the level expected by you.

Regarding the outbreak you have mentioned, as you know Tenerife is situated next to Africa, and this makes it vulnerable to all kind of viruses that arise periodically in the island. To counteract this we carry out numerous tests each day and week, as well as controls made by external companies in combination with those carried our by the local authorities, ensuring optimal levels of food security.

I hope to have the chance to welcome you in future visits to Tenerife.

Best regards,