“Not 5 star accommodation”

Mediterranean Palace Hotel
Reviewed October 6, 2013

Just returned from five nights stay here. I have to say that we were expecting more from the accommodation. The twin room (they obviously ignored my request for a double) was small and the decor was tired. I had also requested a smoking room which was also ignored and we were put on a non smoking floor. That aside I suppose I could have kicked up a fuss but as it was only for five nights we lived with it. The bathroom was huge and had a bath and separate shower although the shower was open plan with just a curtain around it - a bit basic looking. Plenty of hanging space, free safe but the mini bar fridge is locked and there was a daily charge for the key which is outrageous in this day and age. They dissuade you from using kettles and irons, which is evident from the lack of plugs only one being under the dressing table which means you have to plug your hair dryer down on your hands and knees and stay there because the lead is then not long enough to stand up and dry you hair. I for one do not wish to plug my electrical items in the bathroom it is not safe. We were bed and breakfast and the selection was good and fresh. Be warned if you walk in the restaurant with a handbag bigger than a purse you will be asked to leave and come back without it. I for one tried but the restaurant manager would not let me in with it. It was like being accused of bringing my bag in to steal food. Didn't experience any of the entertainment other than the pool aerobics which was hilarious to watch but better when it was finished as it was a bit loud. Good location and staff very helpful.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Mediterranean Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 9, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting your opinion.

I´m sorry to read that, in general terms, your short experience with us has not been satisfactory.

Smoker rooms are situated on the first floor only. Although I haven´t much information, maybe you requested a high floor room or the type you booked was only available on a higher floor. We always try to meet our guests requests although sometimes they might be incompatible.

I´m quite surprised about your statement of being persuade of using irons and kettles as we provide them ourselves to those guests who request it. Electric devises can be used with total confidence in all our rooms. As in most buildings, plugs are situated on the lower side of the walls, except for the bathrooms, where they are located higher to facilitate the use of hairdryers, saving machines etc.

We will be glad to welcome you at any of our hotels. Do not hesitate to contact us for any information you mighr need.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

The hotel is a wonderful location, right near the beach and wonderful shopping area. I actually found the hotel a little bit dated and the room was very very basic, it definitely needed updating. The staff were very helpful and friendly, the restaurant was good, lots of variety we stayed on half board. The pool was excellent and there are always plenty of sunbeds available, kids club available and plenty of entertainment to keep you occupied. The only thing I will say is the bed in our room was very very hard and my husband did have difficulty sleeping, they put a mattress cover on top but it did not really help.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank mrkdaly2
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Mediterranean Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 4, 2013

Dear Mrkdaly2,

Thank you very much for posting on TripAdvisor your imrpessions about your recent stay with us.

I´m really glad to know that you have enjoyed our services and facilities and hope to have the chance to welcome you again soon.

I´m sorry that your husband has found the bed uncomfortable. Normally the top mattresses help solving this problem although in this case it hasn´t been so affective.

Do not hesitate to contact us through our veb page for any information regarding your next stay. I´ll be happy to assist you.

Reviewed October 1, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at this hotel with my husband, can't fault the hotel or staff that work here. Breakfast is huge variety, spoilt for choice. Spa facilities are amazing not particularly cheap but you are in a 5 star hotel complex, definitely work the money. Nothing is too much trouble and is in a great location to the resort too

• Stayed: November 2012

Dear Guests,

Thank you very much for posting your opinion on TripAdvisor.

I´m happy to know of your satisfaction with our service and facilities and hope to have the chance to welcome you again soon.

Do not hesitate to contact us through our web page for any information on prices or availability. We will be glad to assist you.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed here in a large party at the end of August 2013. We arrived late in the evening and got off to a great start. 5 rooms all next to each other overlooking the pool. We have disabled members of the party so a low floor was requested, which we got. We were welcomed with Champagne, and it was a pool party evening, which immediately gave that holiday feeling.

But, once we got to the room we were horrified. We have a 3 year old son with breathing difficulties and when we opened the door we were greeted with a very overpowering odour of mould. we looked up and the celiing in the entrance hallway of the room was black with mould. After complaining to reception, we were offered a room directly over the pool party at 11:30pm with a sleeping 3 year old. We had no other option and no offer of an upgrade to a better room without paying so we had to accept. Luckily the pool party finished 30 minutes later at midnight. This resort is a place i have been before and have had reasonable service and rooms, but at the other hotel (Cleopatra Palace). This hotel, although has had some modernisation in public areas, needs more TLC to its rooms and please please please replace the furniture on the terrace above the pool as it lets you down.

Another thing to avoid is the Evening Ball held in the theatre location. It is a special event and costs around 35Euros per person and includes food, drink and entertainment. The food was nice and had a wide range of seafood etc, and other items such as steak and pasta. The entertainment was quite basic and looked like an olympic opening ceremony without the glits and glamour. As for drinks, the event started at 7:30pm and by 8pm they had run completely out of soft drinks. By 8:30 the place was half empty as people had got fed up and left to go elsewhere. We had asked for them to get some more in from one of the other bars in teh complex but they refused (poor service). We also left early into the evening and complained to our reception asking for a full refund. They took our details and we are still waiting for their reply nearly a month later. Avoid this evening if you are offered it as you will have better food and drink with even better entertainment elsewhere.

Overall, I would recommend or visit this place again as it is not the place it used to be and the staff and processes still live on its past glory days.

Hotel needs updating, Customer services need a review and the food, although is ok, it is apparent you are cutting corners. This is the perfect theme througout the hotel, "Cutting Corners".

Room Tip: Facing reception, teh left side of the hotel is in better condition than the right, and is away from...
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank craig_n_kerry

Dear Guests,

Thank you for posting your opinion.

I´m very sorry to read that you have felt disappointed due to different aspects of our service and facilities.

As you don´t provide personal information I am unable to verify the room condition and take any measure to correct possible failures of the cleaning and maintenance process.

Regarding the "Evening Ball", I assume you are talking about our Gala Diner, starting at 7.30 pm and finishing at 11.00 pm. Although we receive many congratulations about this special nights, I understand that we can not please everybody. However I must point out that we normally retire the last table at 11.30pm.

Please, accept our most sincere excuses for the inconveniences.

We will be glad to welcome you at any of our hotels in Tenerife. Do not hesitate to visit our web page for information on prices and availability.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Superb location. Pool great. Beach just across the promenade. Room spacious, comfortable and clean. Public areas - and staff - bright and cheerful. Staff also very friendly and helpful. Breakfast is great, once you accept it's a buffet and there are lots of other guests, especially from 9-9:30. OK, the rooms need to be refurbished (rather aged furniture, plastic curtain on the small and rather untidy shower!) - but we knew that before we booked and it's nothing to be alarmed about.
My very personal grumble ... for some reason, the pool area is fed with bizarre unmusical noise for a lot of the time - including late evening. Very disturbing :)

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank pookydoodle
pookydoodle, Director General at Mediterranean Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 30, 2013

Dear Pookydoodle,

Thank you very much for posting on tripAdvisor your nice comments about your recent stay with us.

I´m most pleased to know of your satisfaction and of course we will be more than glad to welcome you again whenever you desire.

Regarding the noise you have noticed, although I haven´t been informed of any anomaly I will try to find out its origin.

Do not hesitate to visit our web page for any information about prces and availability, also for any querie or special request. We´ll be glad to take care of your booking.

Reviewed September 24, 2013

Thank you again Mediterranean Palace for another wonderful holiday. We have visited this hotel on so many occasions now and it never disappoints. The cleanliness of inside and outside the hotel is excellent and the breakfast caters for everybody. The pool is very welcoming and always plenty of sunbeds. The location of the hotel is wonderful, there are so many shops and restaurants nearby. There is always a nice little touch as well, a rose was left in a wrapped flannel and chocolates on the pillow. We will be back again next year.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trish026
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Mediterranean Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 27, 2013

Dear Trish026,

Thank you very much for posting on TripAdvisor your nice comments about your recent stay with us.

I´m most pleased to know of your satisfaction and I hope to have the chance to welcome you again soon at any of our hotels.

I would also like to take the chance to thank you for your loyalty throughout the latest years, much appreciated.

Do not hesitate to contact us for any querie or special request. We will do our best to please you.

Warmest regards,

Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

I consider this hotel as a property ideal for corporate usage and less for individuals unless you like a busy enviroment .The location is in the heart of the town and ideal for bars and restaurants without having to call a taxi or self drive.
Personally I prefer a quieter location and more intamite surroundings.

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Robert W
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Mediterranean Palace Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 23, 2013

Dear Robert W,

Thank you very much for posting your opinion here on Tripadvisor.

I´m sorry to read that you have found the hotel too busy. From the three hotels within our resort, this is the one focused on families and therefore in summer there are plenty of activities for all ages.

Maybe you would enjoy a future visit to its sister hotel, with a more relaxing and personalised service that might suite you better.

You can visit our web page for further information about rooms, prices and availability. If you decided to return, I would be pleased to take personal care of your reservation and ensure you the quietest location and best service. Do not hesitate to contact me for any assistance, I´ll be happy to help.