“Not 5 star but still a good hotel in a central location”

Mediterranean Palace Hotel
Tyne and Wear
“Not 5 star but still a good hotel in a central location”
Reviewed May 5, 2013 via mobile

Booked the hotel last minute for the family during the school hols. I've seem this hotel many times during stays in Tenerife and its always seemed like a great place to stay. Upon checking in the impressive lobby is quite overwhelming and the staff were very helpful indeed. Complimentary drinks and sweets for the kids. Luggage swiftly taken to the room and found toys had been left for the children which they thought was ace. The rooms however weren't wot I would expect from a 5 star hotel. Very 90's! And in desperate need of updating. Even the tv seemed I'd fashioned!! Pool area was big and plenty on beds but get out early if u want a specific place to lounge. Sun loungers need updating as some were broken and sagging, I always judge a hotel by the quality of the subeditor and these were cheap n tacky. Food was great and plentiful at breakfast The usual buffet type but a good selection. I was surprised that they charge to use the gym and sauna ? Not something I found reasonable at a 5 star! Food n drinks at the pool were as expected inflated but hey, your on holiday and its expected right!!!! This hotel is very impressive and I mentioned to the missiz just how amazing it would have been staying there 25yrs ago .........now it needs a facelift. !!!! Would I go back? Yeah, straight after the rooms are revamped and they get new sun beds!!!!! Lol Great central location for the beach and shopping plazas. Defo a good 4**** hotel.

• Stayed April 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (747)
  • Czech first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 3, 2013

Insurance company put us in this hotel as it was handy for the hospital due to injury I sustained at Playa La Arena beach. Agree with other reviewers maybe it was a 5 star in its hey day but rooms badly need a refurb although they were comfortable and certain other areas looked as if they were needing updating. Very centrally located so handy for shopping and plenty of nice places to eat. Beach through a gate at the back of a hotel and looked as if there was a nice promenade for walking, alas due to my injury I could not walk that far.

Food was very good, we were half board ,plenty of choice and good quality, although some of the waitresses were a bit surly and we had to wait ages before anyone took our drinks order.

Entertaiment was excellent, some top shows here, bit more classy and not a parrot in sight!

Hope to return here at some point if I got a good deal as location was good.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Surrey, England
Reviewed May 2, 2013

This hotel is not cheap and for the state of the rooms it is completely misrepresented as a Five Star hotel. On entering the hotel I felt like I was walking onto the set of a 1980's Jackie Collins Mini Series. Very dated decor in a blingy style with lots of dirty mirrored pillars and black leather sofas. We booked two intercommunicating rooms as we have a six month old and a two year old and I am not exaggerating when I say that I burst into tears when I saw the room. It was vile - dirty, it stank of cigarettes, the curtains were all hanging off the rail, old style tv which didn't work, no tea making facilities apart from an ancient travel kettle. Yuck. We had to try and get our boys to bed as we arrived at 7pm so come the morning after throwing my toys out of the pram with my husband we went down to try and find a solution. We were told that there was nothing available at the Cleopatra or the Sir Anthony - all next door but we could have a suite with a plunge pool for an extra 1000 euros!!! We took it but believe me had we been minus kids we would have checked out there and then. This was far from perfect although the terrace with plunge pool actually worked really well for us as the boys still nap regularly. The room was still pretty horrible though but an improvement on the previous.

On the plus side the hotel is well located with everything you could need on the doorstep - we were in 5002 which is on the corner of the hotel and therefore is effected by the cabaret at the Cleopatra every evening and noise from the street. You have a good selection of restaurants nearby and a couple of decent small supermarkets. The kids club at the hotel is superb and looks brand new with every toy you could imagine - very well equipped and run by a team of very attractive young ladies (so my husband said)! I was also extremely impressed with the buffet restaurant. I felt the standard of food and selection was excellent - we only ate there in the evenings but there is also a kids selection and you can palm them off to a separate area if you wish! The service in the restaurant is a bit disorganised and very abrupt. They demand payment as soon as you sit down pretty much.

The beauty salon was also superb and I had the best Shellac manicure and pedicure I have ever had and I have had lots!

All in all it is ok - I got used to it after 2 weeks but beware you aren't getting value for money and any high expectations of some swanky five star resort will be cruelly dashed!

Room Tip: Try and get a poolside room as they are at the back of the hotel and a bit quieter. Don't expec...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
York
Reviewed April 30, 2013

This hotel really needs a big overall, its tired and certainly should be classed as a 3 star.
I did think that it was probably quite good for couples with young kids but that still doesn't takeaway the fact that even the sunbeds where old and tired,,Cleopatra next door was far better and only a 4 star but was full of elderly people arguing over sunbeds and umberellas.

Room Tip: if you want a good room you have to pay the extra, as soon as you arrive they are wanting you to pay...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank yorkwendy
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 30, 2013

Just returned 27th April 2013 from a week staying at the very lovely Med Palace hotel in Tenerife. Great hotel,great faclities, great staff and superb food. we stayed on half board basis and the choice and quality at both breakfast and dinner were excelent. could not fault the hotel in anyway what soever,from arriving to leaving my wife and i had a fantastic holiday. The hotel and the staff did everything and more to entertain all guest's throughout the day and evening. If you had children it must be one of the best hotels for the kids i have seen. It was our first time to Tenerife and we will definately be back but only to the Med Palace, great experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank phillindazac
Esteban Sedano C, Director General at Mediterranean Palace Hotel, responded to this review, May 15, 2013
Dear phillindazac,

Thank you very much for your fantastic feedback. I am glad to read that your stay in Mare Nostrum Resort has been a good experience. And yes, the Mediterranean Palace is mainly focused on families so we have implemented many services specifically designed for children, like our Kids club, the best of Tenerife. I would also like to thank you for your nice words towards our staff. We know that they all do their best to meet our guests requests and comments like yours are the best encouragement for all of them.

Hopefully we will soon have the chance to welcome you again in Mare Nostrum Resort, what will be a real pleasure for us.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

I visited this hotel back in January and we loved it. We have just returned again from an 8 night stay. We had pool view rooms which had lovely views and are a decent size. The best thing about this hotel is the location, right on the beach. Everything is great. Having paid for half board in January we decided on B&B this time as it works out about £16 each a night to go half board. The surrounding restaurants are much better quality food and it works out similar price. Definitely B&B in future. The staff are all pleasant and we really enjoyed our stay. Breakfast is superb so much choice but there is one huge irritant. Unlike the Cleopatra the Mediterranean has tea/coffee machines which are so slow and the queue in a morning is ridiculous. We tried different times but it was always the same. The jugs are also all nearly faulty resulting in scalds and spilling. Breakfast is also really busy with not enough staff to clear and reset tables. Only small things but it does need looking at as a lot of people were moaning. The Cleopatra have jugs of tea and coffee and this seems to work much better. We would definitely return to this hotel as the pool and location are fantastic!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Rachael N
Dear Rachael N,

Thank you very much for your detailed and positive feedback, much appreciated. Let me also thank you for commenting on our breakfast service. The coffee machines had just been installed before your arrival and as soon as we noticed they were slightly slower that the precedents we added a few units to speed up the service. The problem has been solved now and the service is back to its usual rhythm.

I’m glad to know that the resort location and facilities have pleased you and we all hope to have the chance to welcome you again soon. Do not hesitate to contact us for anything you might need regarding your next booking. We’ll be pleased to take care of it.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here with my girlfriend last year and we absolutely loved it!

We were greeted by a stunning hotel with very helpful and friendly staff, our room was lovely and clean and was kept that way by the staff each morning, the breakfast buffet had a great selection and again the staff are on hand to help with whatever you need.

The hotel is right by the beach and main shopping area with plenty if bars and restaurants around. The area itself is beautiful and there is plenty to on the beaches if you get bird sun bathing.

Would recommend to anyone looking for a good fun holiday and likes to stay in nice hotels, it's not totally a 5 star itself but everything around it makes up the difference.

• Stayed June 2012
1 Thank partyparty123
Dear partyparty123,

Thank you very much for your opinion. I can see it has been long since the last time you visited us and we hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again soon. As you have mentioned, our location is one of the best of the island, for not saying the best. Beaches, restaurants, shops…all together in what is known as the Golden Mile. We also try to offer the best possible service to our guests and the warmest welcome.

We will be happy to welcome you whenever you decide to return to Mare Nostrum Resort. Please, let us know any special request or need you might have. We´ll do our best to meet your expectations again.