THE GOOD --- The Mediterranean Palace Hotel (like The Cleopatra) is in an excellent location – probably one of the best in Tenerife. Part of the Mare Nostrum Resort - i have now stayed in both hotels.
All members of staff are extremely friendly and keen to help – however they are reactive rather than proactive as would staff be in a true 5 star hotel.
We went Bed and Breakfast and cannot fault choice or quality of breakfast – it was excellent.
Booked a pool view room and that’s what we got and we never really had a problem getting a sun lounger (despite the early birds putting towels down)
Entertainment every night – not of the highest standard but it was of a mixed variety and they all certainly tried their best -- there even was a mini market one of the nights selling mixture of goods – why – in a 5 star hotel?
THE BAD -- The Mediterranean Palace Hotel may be 25 years in existence and obtained a 5 Star rating but I suggest the 5 star rating was based on what it was like 25 years ago.
This hotel is very dated and is in need of maintenance (skirting boards hanging of walls in restaurant), a good painting (stairwells and corridors) and a rigorous cleaning starting with the bedrooms -- providing fresh towels and tyding rooms every day is not enough – some of the surfaces and doors in rooms and throughout the hotel were never cleaned during our stay
The extras in the hotel are a bit of a joke – you have to pay to use room fridge, 15 euro deposit for pool towel, vending machines with possibly the highest charges in Europe, chargeable water with evening meal, 1 euro for 30 seconds for checking weight of suit case (other local hotels free) AND if you want to use the table tennis (two extremely worn bats and a ball) you must pay a 5 euro deposit. These ‘extras’ / levies are a joke and The Mediterranean Palace Hotel must realise its 2013 not 1988.
I had serious problems with noise from another room on two subsequent nights – 1st night a party (we didn’t report) to ~04:00 – the second night with a TV at full volume we contacted reception at 02:00 – noise stopped at 02:33 – interesting when I enquired with customer relations the next day they had NO record of me contacting reception. They did contact me later to say that security had been unable to locate the source of the noise. They told me if any more issues to let them know -- a proper 5 star would have been proactive -- showed they cared and contacted me and at very minimum asked at check out.
SUMMARY -- Overall this is a pretty good hotel in a superb location. It’s quite expensive for what you get. I have stayed in numerous 5 star hotels and The Mediterranean Palace Hotel in my opinion does not qualify as a 5 star hotel / resort -- the attenion to detail is missing. Concern re individual issues are not addressed. At best I believe it’s probably a decent 3 star.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The perfect choice for a family vacation, this gorgeous hotel on the Playa de las Americas - the best beach in Southern Tenerife - has the largest, most exciting and safest Kids Club on the island. It is located right next to the best leisure center and shopping area of Tenerife - making it the ideal place for all members of the family to spend an unforgettable holiday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Odigeo and Orbitz so you can book your Mediterranean Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mediterranean Palace Tenerife
- Mediterranean Palace Hotel Tenerife/Playa De Las Americas
- Hotel Mediterranean Palace Tenerife
- Med Palace Tenerife