We booked via the hotel's own website a suite for the 31/12/2012. The cost of this room for one night was just over 1,000 euros. When we went to check in on 31/12/2012, the hotel's receptionist handed me gala tickets for that night. I explained we did not need these as we had already booked (and paid for) another restaurant nearby which we were attending with friends. Once the receptionist realised this, he laughed and said "did you really think one room is a 1,000 euros".! I asked for the manager to which I was told he/she will be on duty from 17:00 that day and I would receive a call. No call or message was received.
When we got to our room, we had been positioned over the pool area which had been converted for the gala evening by tables and a stage. There must of been over 2000 seats around the pool area. We were at least thankful that our children were sleeping in an adjoining room which overlooked a quieter part of the hotel. We realised it was going to be a noisy evening but it was New Year Eve so we went with the flow. We returned to our hotel room around 1:00 to hear the live music still continuing and this finally stopped around 3:00. Again we had no major issues with that however we were then woken with the noise of scaffold firms taking down the stage set and hotel staff shouting as they were removing the tables and chairs in preparation for the sunlounger team.! This noise continued throughout the entire night and at 08:00 the following morning, I we straight to reception to complain about the noise and no communication from the hotel's management. The receptionist said she was sorry but the hotel had to get the pool area ready for loungers by 09:00 that morning. I again asked to speak to a member of the management to which I was told there would be no one there until 09:00.
After packing, I proceeded back to reception to checkout whereby I was met by "Suzanna" who was the manager that day. We sat down and I explained about the laughing receptionist, no call the previous day, the cost of the night, no explanation about the gala dinner on their website and the noise throughout the night. She couldn't give me a part refund but said she would speak to the management to see what could be done. This was over 8 days ago and surprise surprise, we have not heard a peep from the hotel.
Regardless of our terrible experience of this hotel, I would only rate it as a 2 / 3 star hotel as it is very tired and in need of some desperate modernisation (the replacement low energy light bulbs handing out of the fittings by 20cm is laughable). I can only assume it commands such high prices due to its location. However for the money, a 5 star service and a better location, go to the Bahia del Duque hotel / resort.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The perfect choice for a family vacation, this gorgeous hotel on the Playa de las Americas - the best beach in Southern Tenerife - has the largest, most exciting and safest Kids Club on the island. It is located right next to the best leisure center and shopping area of Tenerife - making it the ideal place for all members of the family to spend an unforgettable holiday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Hotwire, Travelocity, Odigeo, Agoda, TripOnline SA, Expedia and Orbitz so you can book your Mediterranean Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mediterranean Palace Tenerife
- Mediterranean Palace Hotel Tenerife/Playa De Las Americas
- Hotel Mediterranean Palace Tenerife
- Med Palace Tenerife