I need to start by saying that this review is based on our experience of a suite room with private plunge pool, which I'm sure affected our overall impression of the hotel. Our room - 4002 - was on the lowest floor of the plunge pool levels, but the view was incredible: you could see the beach and the sea beyond between the other Mare Nostrum hotel buildings, and you had a perfect view of the pool area below too. The balcony was much bigger than the pictures had led me to believe and we had four sun loungers with a parasol, plus a plastic table & chairs for eating alfresco. The perks of the plunge pool room seemed to be: no hire charge for the pool towels (4), free wi-fi (not very reliable in the room), lots of space and frequent 'goodies' arriving in the room (half bottles of wine, savoury nibbles, chocolates, etc) – although we'd also joined the Expo Club prior to arriving so some of that may have been due to membership bonuses. We also received an invitation to an evening drinks party at the (currently closed) Atlantis Chill Out area, which is looking a bit tired to be honest. Wouldn't have paid to spend a day there had it been open as our balcony had everything we needed. The plunge pool was big enough for two and, while not heated, was pleasant enough to sit in after a day under the Tenerife sunshine. The only little niggle was that on at least two occasions the maid took it upon herself to drain the pool (presumably to clean it) and we were left with having to fill it again when we returned to the room, which took up to an hour and obviously meant the water then had to heat up again from scratch.
The breakfast buffet has been rightly praised for its variety and abundance and there's a Mercadona supermarket up the hill slightly from the hotel which sells bottled water and all kinds of meats, breads, cheeses etc if you want a cheap lunch. Be warned: the supermarkets closer to the hotel are much more expensive!
We found all of the hotel staff to be friendly and welcoming and, as we didn't want to participate in any of the daily activities, found that we were pretty much left alone which is just what we wanted.
The outdoor bar is a great place to relax under the stars in the evening, although it shuts pretty abruptly at midnight when all the balcony lights suddenly get turned off as well.
The plunge pool rooms are undoubtedly more expensive but I'd say they're worth it - we never had to worry about bagging a good lounger by the pool (or on the beach) and spent most of the holiday chilling out on our balcony, either in the sun, under the parasol or in the shade.
Yes, the hotel is showing its age a little and this is not the place to go if you're fussy about the odd cracked bathroom tile or a scratch on a piece of furniture. But the plunge pool rooms seem to represent excellent value compared with the Sir Anthony Hotel in the same resort (where the rooms are nearly double the price), whose balconies look much smaller and are walled on either side so they don't seem to benefit from the sunshine all day long.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The perfect choice for a family vacation, this gorgeous hotel on the Playa de las Americas - the best beach in Southern Tenerife - has the largest, most exciting and safest Kids Club on the island. It is located right next to the best leisure center and shopping area of Tenerife - making it the ideal place for all members of the family to spend an unforgettable holiday. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Booking.com, Expedia, Expo Hoteles, Cheap Tickets, Travelocity, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Mediterranean Palace Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Mediterranean Palace Tenerife
- Mediterranean Palace Hotel Tenerife/Playa De Las Americas
- Hotel Mediterranean Palace Tenerife
- Med Palace Tenerife