“A very good holiday”
Review of Gran Oasis Resort

Gran Oasis Resort
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 26, 2008

We returned a week ago from 2 weeks AI at this hotel. We were very worried after we booked in January and then read the reviews on Trip Advisor, to the extent we even tried to change hotels!

However, since we booked in January the reviews definitely improved and I have to say, we all had a really lovely time here.

There were four people in our party, 2 adults and 2 children (aged 5 and 4) and everyone seemed to work very hard. The apartments are lovely and had a separate bedroom and two balconies. We had loads of space which with two young children was much appreciated!

We mainly steered clear of swimming in the pools, however, because, as mentioned by a previous holidaymaker, the ear infections are still prevelant!! We spoke to several people (both adults and children) who had been on 5 days' worth of antibiotics! However, the toddler pool was not affected by these infections and both my children had great fun splashing in this without catching anything awful!

The sun bed problem exists. However, my husband is not one to be deterred by a few towels on sunbeds and just moved a few sunbeds around to make space for us. This created great amusement (on our part!) when people finally came to sit on their sunbeds (around midday!) only to find they had been separated from the rest of their party as we were slap bang in the middle of them! But did anyone dare complain? - No!! We actually found the Spanish were the worst culprits, but that isn't to say that the English were entirely guilt free!

However, we preferred the beach and the one at Los Christianos (Las Vistas) is very nice and we got the hotel bus there and back most days. We had a picnic from the hotel and spent most of our days away from the hotel. We had more space on the beach, no arguments with sunbeds and it was less frenetic. We just went back to the kids pool for an hour late afternoon so the kids could play in the pool. This seemed to work very well for us.

The hotel bus runs every day except Sundays. However, on our last day there (18 August) it actually broke down and apparently needed a new gearbox, so I hope it is up and running again now!! Beware, the bus leaves on time so don't be late. Very friendly driver and the bus also serves the Green Golf Resort which is this hotel's sister hotel very nearby. It is a full-sized coach and even at peak times there were always plenty of seats. The first bus leaves the hotel at 10am, then 11am and 12 noon. After the siesta, the bus leaves the hotel at 4pm and then 5pm. The return pick-up times from Playa de las Americas to the hotel are 10.25am, 11.25am, 12.25pm, 4.25pm and 5.25pm. No evening services.

We all enjoyed the food on offer and my children ate three healthy meals a day (we didn't allow them chips all the time) and they never complained once. There were only a couple of occasions I felt a bit stuck for something to have but I found something I fancied and enjoyed every meal. My kids loved being able to have the free little tubs of Nestle ice-cream throughout the day - this was a firm favourite! The range of free drinks on AI is fantastic. Most international brands seemed to be free which I think is quite unusual, and the measures you get are huge! Every time I asked for a Baileys I was given half a cup full! (and they weren't small cups either!!). The same with Tia Maria, Bacardi and all similiar drinks like that. The measures were very generous! My husband said the local beer was nice so he was happy! Free soft drinks include Coke, diet coke, fanta (lemon and orange) and Sprite. These were all self-service which meant no queuing which was great. Free fruit juice was also available but you had to get this from the bar (except for meal times when it was self-service).

The taxis cost around 5.5 euros to get into Los Christianos/Playa de las Americas and are more expensive on a Sunday. However, my husband speaks Spanish and we found that if you chatted away to the driver in his native tongue they would knock a few euros off the price! Worth trying if you can speak Spanish!!

My only grumble was the maid service. Our apartment was lovely and clean when we arrived and we couldn't have been more impressed. However, towels were only changed when requested (everytime I saw the maid!) and in the two weeks we were there our bed linen was only changed twice. Strangely enough though, by the end of our 2 weeks, we had enough toilet rolls to sink a ship!! So figure that out!! There is no maid service at all on Wednesdays and Sundays (although the lady in charge of the maids is there for emergencies) which I didn't think was in keeping with a 3 star hotel. There was another day, a Tuesday, when for some reason the maid couldn't be bothered to do our room and I had to complain. In fairness, the lady in charge came up with clean towels and bed linen within half an hour so my complaint was at least dealt with efficiently. I will say, though, that this is the first time I have been on holiday and not left the maid a tip!! Other people we spoke to at the hotel were happy with their maid, so I really do think it depended what maid you had as to what service you got. We were obviously one of the unlucky lot!!

With the exception of a couple of nights, the entertainment was dire. However, this didn't really bother us as very often we went out for a walk in the evening.

Overall, I would rate the apartments at 4 star but probably the rest of the hotel is a 3 star but as that is what we paid for we thought this was very reasonable. I would stay in this hotel again if it could be moved somewhere a little nearer a resort - and not at the top of a hill! However, my fitness levels have improved greatly since the start of our holiday so this cannot be a bad thing!!

• Check in / front desk
Write a ReviewReviews (3,501)

Reviewed August 20, 2008

Having read some of the reviews we were slightly worried! We travelled as a family with children aged 10 and 8.

Only 20 minutes from airport.

We had a duplex apartment ( two floors)which was lovely and spacious. We had a fully working kitchen including fridge and freezer even though we were all inclusive so this was a bonus. Apartment great for us but would be difficult with young children. Apartment was very clean and maids very helpfull.

Three pools which cater for everyone. Loads of sunbeds but must be there by 9am to get best spots.

Entertainment going on all day. Kids club good for our ages (maybe not very small children). Pool and darts and water polo etc for teenagers and adults run all day.

Evening entertainment your average 3* hotel entertainment including Queen tribute and Abba tribute (both very good) and Spanish dancing (so bad it was funny!).

We were all inclusive - water, soft drinks and beer on tap and you help yourself (great!) Sometimes a queue at the bar for wine or spirits.

Food - pool snacks of sandwiches rolls and cakes etc through the day at set times.

For main meals you are allocated a half an hour time slot which you have to arrive in (if you miss it they moan a bit but do let you in!) You can change your timeslots to suit you. Once in the restaurant no rush.

Breakfast - fruit juice, tea, coffee, bacon, sausages, fried/scrambeled egg, mushrooms, tomatoes, toast and preserves, cereal, rolls, meat and cheese, croissants- all this choice every day!

Lunch/Dinner - Different choice every day pasta, rice, potatoes (mash not great) jacket potates, roast potatoes, lamb stew, chicken, lots of fish, roast pork, hamburgers, sausages, beef stew, spag bologanse, chips, rolls, variety of salad. Lots of puddings inc cake and fruit.

Food was all very fresh they are continually bringing out fresh food. They have a fresh grill where they do chicken, steak etc and cook to order.

Some people thought the food was repetative and it was if you had chips every day! we had different food every day. Children can eat from the childrens or adult buffet so could have chips or be more adventuras.

This is a beautiful setting and we are already looking at bookng next year!

4  Thank izzywizzie
Reviewed August 18, 2008

well what can i say. myself my wife and 15 year old son spent 2 weeks all inclusive here. what utter rubbish.felt very ripped off.lack of staff all the time,the food was great if you liked the same rubbish every day,an afternoon snack compromised of a ham and cheese sandwich or a salami roll.thats all that was on offer.according to holiday web site it has a a-la-carte restaurant. we never saw it.we ate out all the time at more expense. the alcohol i think is less than 1 per cent as i could not get merry on the beer.the pool was cleaned after complaints to the manager,the pool area is very slippery,the sunbeds and tables were never cleaned after a day of being covered in soft drinks and alcohol so hence the next day you use the same dirty furniture and spend all day getting rid of flies,YUK.this place has one restaurant and is too small. we were told on arrival that as they were so busy we could only use the restaurant at certain times!!!!. JUST NOT BIG ENOUGH.entertainment is geared at young kids,nothing for adults to do in evening as you need to eat early to get a space at the stage,yet again too small.good luck with the sticky table cloths.if you like good food,a leisurely meal,good service,cleanliness.THEN GO SOMEWHERE ELSE.THIS PLACE IS VERY VERY POOR. this is the fifth all inclusive holiday, second most expensive, and the WORST by a long long way.THEY ARE JUST NOT GEARED UP FOR ALL INCLUSIVE. every body we spoke to was of the same opinion and were all going to complain when they got home.

2  Thank tessmax
Reviewed August 18, 2008

What a fabulous holiday!!! We travelled with two other families, so there were 9 of us altogether. The appartment was spotless, the maid service was excellent also leaving us fresh crisp towels daily (except Weds and Sundays) We were in appartment 70 and our friends 71 & 73 and what fun we had! Brandy coffees on the balcony and a beautiful view.
We were a little bit apprehensive after reading all the NEGATIVE reviews beforehand afterall we had forked out a lot of money between the 9 of us to go! When we arrived we were greeted by very friendly reception staff (even tho it was 3am!!) She gave us our map to our appartment and also advised that we could go to the restaurant and get some refreshments and a light snack if we wished.
The pools are very clean and a delight to jump into as the weather was amazing!!
We did use the free bus service which was always on time and the driver liked his loud spanish music!! We did tip as he was a funny fella!!
The staff were the most friendly bunch I have ever met, they dont stop working!! We got on well with a lot of them, I wanted to go clubbing with Ana, but my hubby wouldnt let me! Ha!
We had 2 girls with us 10 & 14 and they had a great time! Our 14 year old liked to get all dressed up for the evening, and go to the arcade where all the kids hung out (mostly on the internet!) and our 10 year old grew fins and a tail I think as I couldnt get her out the pool!! I will just say ear plugs may be adviseable as once we got home she had an ear infection in both ears, she seems to think it was worth it though, and has made a full recovery!!
We used to all have a fun game of bingo after the evening entertainment which was actually good money (even tho we didnt win!)
Overall a fab holiday, DEFINATELY would go again, dont listen to all the neg reviews, judge the resort for yourself! Go with an open mind and you will see how lovely this resort is.
We had 53 steps to our appartment, but we made a joke of it and hopefully burnt some of those millions of calories we consumed during our 11 days!! HAPPY HOLIDAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reviewed August 17, 2008

With this hotel i had read quite alot of bad reviews on it, but i would say each to there own.
I went with my partner and my daughter was 3 at the time and we all absolutely love it.
I would say the food is not fab but its what you can expect from all inclusive buffet it was ok.
And the location is on the top of a hill so its quite a walk anywhere but they provide a daily bus into town.
The actual hotel was lovely i loved our apartment, cleaners came on average every other day, the staff were friendly and helpful.
And the animation staff who organised the evening entertainment and the kids clubs etc.. they were absolutely fab it was all of our highlight.
We were here for 2 weeks so we noticed it was the same the second week but still loved it.
Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
Reviewed August 13, 2008

Ignore all the negative comments. This is a fabulous place to stay!!!!
My family,2 adults 2 children age 13 and 10, have just returned from a 2 week hol at the oasis golf resort and after a bad holiday last year in cyprus was a little anxious.
No need to be anxious it's a lovely place to stay. We actually up graded to all inclusive whilst we were there and were so glad we did!
It is a little distance from Las Americas but it never caused us a problem. Taxi's are outside all the time and very reasonable.
All the staff we met were very polite and helpful and responded immediately to any problems or queries. If you are nice and respectful to staff except the same back. We did see a few people being quite rude, feet on tables in reception etc.
Food was lovely and always a wide selection to suit your needs.
Kids buffet was a little limited but they could also have food from the main buffet which was very varied and hot foods were always hot!
We feel you would have to be a very fussy eater not to enjoy it.
Food is different to ours but you are in Tenerife not England.
If you want good old English food stay home.
The selection of drinks,beer ,cocktails etc was excellent and any queues soon went down. The staff work really hard.
Ice creams always available and snacks throughout the day.
The rooms were fab set on 2 floors. lots of space,kept very clean and beds and towels changed regularly.
Nice big bedroom down stairs and good size bathroom.
Didn't rate the hairdryer in bathroom. If your fussy take your own.
Never saw any ants or bugs only skinny pigeons.
2 balconys to enjoy, one with sun loungers, the other with table and chairs.
The pools were kept lovely and clean and there are plenty of sun loungers. They would be more available if people didn't take 5 or 6 early morning and the not use them until lunch time.
Hotel staff aware of the sunbed issue and started chaining them up until 8.30 each morning which made life easier for us who didn't want to get up at 6am with our towels.
I could say lots more about it. We had a fab holiday and wish i could be back there now.
Enjoy if your going soon.
Would definetly go back all inclusive.

1  Thank Suzy_QWiltshire
Reviewed August 11, 2008

Great holiday from moment we arrived. Great resort, great staff and great weather.
The resort is of a good 3* standard and even though it is a fair way from the beach and nightlife (about 25min walk downhill) the cabs are dirt cheap between 5-7 euros. And there is a free bus to the town every day except sunday which is great......
The room was excellent (room 195)our room was all on one level with two big patio doors opening onto a huge balcony.
The 2 main pools are cleaned daily and are very clean, good sunbeds and brollys aswell.
The all-inclusive is very good for the drinks. You help yourself to the beer and soft drinks but you have to queue for the other drinks. The staff at the pool bars are great and you do not have to wait long to get served.
Now the food. On first night there the evening meal seemed very good, but it is the same thing most nights but it is also edible. Most people forget this is a 3* accomodation and if you want 5* food then you need to pay the extra 2 grand for that so stop moaning.......
The breakfasts are great, from a good old fry-up to continental breakfasts there is a good choice.
Entertainment very good for the kids and adults during the day. In the evening also good but you need to get to the seating area early as the area is not big enough to accomadate everyone.
All in all great resort, but if you visit los cristianos you must go to the PLAYERS LOUNGE on the sea front, great bar ,great staff and very cheap. And if like us, you never know you may even bump into Ricky Hatton.........
Also visit the Jungle Park. Fun Day out..............................

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled with family
1  Thank vickyRainhamEssex
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa de las Americas
Green Garden Resort & Suites
Europe Villa Cortes
#7 of 59 in Playa de las Americas
1 mi away
Tigotan Lovers & Friends Playa de las Americas
Tigotan Lovers & Friends Playa d...
#5 of 59 in Playa de las Americas
Melia Jardines del Teide
Melia Jardines del Teide
#15 of 61 in Costa Adeje

Been to Gran Oasis Resort? Share your experiences!