We returned a week ago from 2 weeks AI at this hotel. We were very worried after we booked in January and then read the reviews on Trip Advisor, to the extent we even tried to change hotels!
However, since we booked in January the reviews definitely improved and I have to say, we all had a really lovely time here.
There were four people in our party, 2 adults and 2 children (aged 5 and 4) and everyone seemed to work very hard. The apartments are lovely and had a separate bedroom and two balconies. We had loads of space which with two young children was much appreciated!
We mainly steered clear of swimming in the pools, however, because, as mentioned by a previous holidaymaker, the ear infections are still prevelant!! We spoke to several people (both adults and children) who had been on 5 days' worth of antibiotics! However, the toddler pool was not affected by these infections and both my children had great fun splashing in this without catching anything awful!
The sun bed problem exists. However, my husband is not one to be deterred by a few towels on sunbeds and just moved a few sunbeds around to make space for us. This created great amusement (on our part!) when people finally came to sit on their sunbeds (around midday!) only to find they had been separated from the rest of their party as we were slap bang in the middle of them! But did anyone dare complain? - No!! We actually found the Spanish were the worst culprits, but that isn't to say that the English were entirely guilt free!
However, we preferred the beach and the one at Los Christianos (Las Vistas) is very nice and we got the hotel bus there and back most days. We had a picnic from the hotel and spent most of our days away from the hotel. We had more space on the beach, no arguments with sunbeds and it was less frenetic. We just went back to the kids pool for an hour late afternoon so the kids could play in the pool. This seemed to work very well for us.
The hotel bus runs every day except Sundays. However, on our last day there (18 August) it actually broke down and apparently needed a new gearbox, so I hope it is up and running again now!! Beware, the bus leaves on time so don't be late. Very friendly driver and the bus also serves the Green Golf Resort which is this hotel's sister hotel very nearby. It is a full-sized coach and even at peak times there were always plenty of seats. The first bus leaves the hotel at 10am, then 11am and 12 noon. After the siesta, the bus leaves the hotel at 4pm and then 5pm. The return pick-up times from Playa de las Americas to the hotel are 10.25am, 11.25am, 12.25pm, 4.25pm and 5.25pm. No evening services.
We all enjoyed the food on offer and my children ate three healthy meals a day (we didn't allow them chips all the time) and they never complained once. There were only a couple of occasions I felt a bit stuck for something to have but I found something I fancied and enjoyed every meal. My kids loved being able to have the free little tubs of Nestle ice-cream throughout the day - this was a firm favourite! The range of free drinks on AI is fantastic. Most international brands seemed to be free which I think is quite unusual, and the measures you get are huge! Every time I asked for a Baileys I was given half a cup full! (and they weren't small cups either!!). The same with Tia Maria, Bacardi and all similiar drinks like that. The measures were very generous! My husband said the local beer was nice so he was happy! Free soft drinks include Coke, diet coke, fanta (lemon and orange) and Sprite. These were all self-service which meant no queuing which was great. Free fruit juice was also available but you had to get this from the bar (except for meal times when it was self-service).
The taxis cost around 5.5 euros to get into Los Christianos/Playa de las Americas and are more expensive on a Sunday. However, my husband speaks Spanish and we found that if you chatted away to the driver in his native tongue they would knock a few euros off the price! Worth trying if you can speak Spanish!!
My only grumble was the maid service. Our apartment was lovely and clean when we arrived and we couldn't have been more impressed. However, towels were only changed when requested (everytime I saw the maid!) and in the two weeks we were there our bed linen was only changed twice. Strangely enough though, by the end of our 2 weeks, we had enough toilet rolls to sink a ship!! So figure that out!! There is no maid service at all on Wednesdays and Sundays (although the lady in charge of the maids is there for emergencies) which I didn't think was in keeping with a 3 star hotel. There was another day, a Tuesday, when for some reason the maid couldn't be bothered to do our room and I had to complain. In fairness, the lady in charge came up with clean towels and bed linen within half an hour so my complaint was at least dealt with efficiently. I will say, though, that this is the first time I have been on holiday and not left the maid a tip!! Other people we spoke to at the hotel were happy with their maid, so I really do think it depended what maid you had as to what service you got. We were obviously one of the unlucky lot!!
With the exception of a couple of nights, the entertainment was dire. However, this didn't really bother us as very often we went out for a walk in the evening.
Overall, I would rate the apartments at 4 star but probably the rest of the hotel is a 3 star but as that is what we paid for we thought this was very reasonable. I would stay in this hotel again if it could be moved somewhere a little nearer a resort - and not at the top of a hill! However, my fitness levels have improved greatly since the start of our holiday so this cannot be a bad thing!!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Gran Oasis Resort invites you to enjoy a 4-star hotel in Playa de las Americas, a holiday resort in the south of Tenerife specially designed for families and couples who want to relax and discover this fabulous Canary island. Choose the All Inclusive plan, bed & breakfast or half board plan and live an experience your own way. The Gran Oasis Resort is located in front of Las Americas golf court, between Playa de Las Americas and Los Cristianos bay, in the south of Tenerife. This hotel is ideal for families, as it is located close at hand from Playa de las Vistas beach, 2 km away from the largest waterpark in Europe, the Siam park. Make your holidays an unforgettable experience with the services of the Gran Oasis Resort: miniclub, free transfers to the beach and to the centre of Las Americas, adults and children's swimming pool, restaurant, pool bar, gym, spa and beauty treatments, supermarket, garage... ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotwire, Hotels.com, getaroom.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, TripOnline SA and Evoline ltd so you can book your Gran Oasis Resort reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gran Oasis Hotel Playa De Las Americas
- Gran Oasis Resort Tenerife/Playa De Las Americas