“Honest Review”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Manchester
“Honest Review”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

My family and friends spent 11 days at Gran Oasis Resort in July 2013. Overall, I enjoyed the holiday but there are some small issues that stopped it being excellent.

Firstly the pro's:

1) Big resort, very clean. The rooms are lovely, big and spacious. We had deluxe suites which had air con down stairs and golf course views and the room really was wonderful.

2) There are 3 pools, small, medium and large, all the pools are really clean and have astro turf around the pool side to stop slipping (needed as the tiles are EXTREMELY slippy when wet)

3) There is a beach front venue called Monkey Beach that can be used as part of your all inclusive package. A coach picks you up at 10.40am and takes you down and then brings you back at 5pm. The food and drinks are in the all inclusive package and we found it a really nice change from sitting at the pool every day. You do need to book Monkey Beach with reception the day before though.

4) The staff are really, really friendly and will do anything to help you. The entertainment staff work very hard and I thought there were lots of things for kids to do during the day.

5) You can get food all day long from either the ice cream bar near reception, the main bar or the restaurant. I actually enjoyed the bar snacks more than the restaurant food.

The cons:

1) The food is very repetitive, don't get me wrong I found something to eat every meal time but it was very samey and I found myself having pizza for tea more often than not. The kids had pasta in tomato sauce every single night we were there which (while I was glad they were eating) bored them to tears by the end of the holiday. We paid to eat out twice - not because the food was bad - More to have something different. It really is the same things all the time, other than the themed hotplates which change nightly.
Breakfast was ok. Shame you can only get hot drinks or fruit juice though as my kids just wanted a glass of pop.

2) The night-time entertainment wasn't the best but I do think that is the case anywhere you go.

3) If you are not up at the crack of dawn you cannot get a sunbed.

4) Air con upstairs as well is needed. Walking up the stairs from the bedroom is like walking into an oven.

I must stress though the staff and entertainment team work very, very hard to ensure you have a fantastic holiday, if there was more variety and choice with the food I think this would be a 1st class all round resort. It is a bit out of the way but we knew that when we booked and there is almost no reason to leave the resort anyway as everything you need is there.

Hope this review helps.

3 Thank Huffy80
Recepcion G, Reception Department at Gran Oasis Resort, responded to this review, August 8, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all we do want to thank you very much for choosing us as destination for your last holidays and for taking your time once back at home to write this review.

For us it is always very helpful to know your sincere opinon about your experience here with us.
It is fantastic to read that despite of some inconveniences you have anjoyed a nice holidays.

I will pass your comments, of course, to all the department heads in order to review your very interesting advices.

Thank you very much once again for everything and if you do plan to come back at any time, what would be a real present for us, do not hesitate to contact us before for anything you could need.

Best Wishes

Reception Department

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (757)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 6, 2013 via mobile

Good: a big resort and kept very clean. The 2 bed apartments are nice and big and it is located near to Siam Park for which a free bus is available depending on how busy it is. The staff are very friendly and will do all they can to help although because it is a big resort you and they do not get to know each other. We had a problem with the room fan and it was replaced the next day. The food was ok for adults although a bit repetitive.
Bad: the evening entertainment was shocking! We stayed 11 nights and 3 of those were Motown. The Lion King performance was like a group of Dads had been dragged up to do their best, I didn't know if they were being serious or not! There was very little to do or get involved in during the day if you choose not to visit Siam Park which at this time of year has 7000+ people in for 14 attractions so you'll queue for an hour.
Stairs: if you get one of the roof top apartments or one up the hill it would be horrendous! We were located near to the bottom but the hill is steep and long. I wouldn't have liked to have dragged 4 cases up that hill!
The sun lounger battle! For some strange reason they lock the sun loungers in the bottom pool but not the top pool. They unlock them at 8am, give or take 30 mins either side so you will have to be prepared to sit and wait for an hour by which an extensive queue has formed with many people jostling for places, this was a NIGHTMARE!
There was very little choice of food for children and in fact my wife and daughter both lost weight during the holiday which isn't good when you're all inclusive!
The Wifi is meant to be available in the apartments but often isn't so you have to sit in reception to get connected. The connection is quite complicated and convoluted! So if you want or need a good Wifi connection easily available you'll be disappointed.
Overall: the holiday was ok but I wouldn't go back!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Recepcion G, Reception Department at Gran Oasis Resort, responded to this review, August 31, 2013
Dear Guest,

We do want to thank you very much for sharing your holidays with us and for your comments on this site about our Gran Oasis Resort.

We do really hope you have had overall a pleasant stay and we wish you the best for the future.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Fabulous apartment-first time I have been able to unpack 4 suitcases and put everything away with still more space available. Apartment over two levels was lovely but unfortunately had to pay for air conditioning on first floor.
As self catering guests I did feel like we were treated as second class citizens-at 3 minutes to one we were told we could not order lunch until 1pm exactly-ridiculous. I like to go self catering in order to go out and about and experience new restaurants-unfortunately again the resort is a good 20 minute walk to nearest bars/restaurants which was not comfortable to do in the heat.
The staff were all fabulous and friendly and could not do enough to help-especially reception staff.
Taxi service was good but always ask the price before you travel as a couple did try to take us novice tourists....
Siam park was good as was the catamaran trip where we saw whales & dolphins.
There are plenty of sun loungers which as usual are reserved early am-but they are very close together and sometimes you have to plan a route to the pool!!!!
There is an excellent takeaway available for those nights when you are completely done in and they actually deliver to your room.
A very nice holiday overall-just disappointed that nowhere within 20 mins walking to eat/drink.

1 Thank 377Louise
Dear guest,

Firs of all we do want to thank you very much for spending your holidays with us and for taking your time once back at home to write this comments.

We do feel deeply sorry about how did you feel for being self catering guest. Believe me that it was not our intention to make you feel 3rd class citizen. For the all inclusive guests, the restaurant and food service opens at 13:00 too, not before.

Despite of that incident i read that you have had a very nice stay and that is really important for us.
We hope you plan to come back to tenerife again very soon and if we are the hotel chosen, for us it would be a pleasure to welcome you back and helping you in all you could need.

Bury
Reviewed August 5, 2013

Stayed here from 16th-30th July. FAB!!
Food was great, I'm not really fussy with food but with 3 kids who usually are, they were well fed.
Staff were fab, from the front desk to the bar they were always smiling and very patient with the kids. AI was great, food always available, hot dogs were fab!
Entertainment was good, Renate, Enzo, Tina, all brilliant!!
Cannot find fault at all with this place.
Will definitely be back.
One more thing, Top Hat & Heels, AMAZING!!!!
Thanks for having us!!
West & Family x (Mr Election!!)

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank emma t
Dear Family,

On behalf of all the BE HAPPY team, the management and specially from Renate and the animation staff, we do send you a big APLAUSO APLAUSO.

Thank you very much for trusting us to spend your holidays and for your very nice comments on this site. It has been a real pleasure to serve you and we would like having the chance to do it again.

It is absolutely marvellous to know how much you did enjoy here with us, that you found the hotel beautiful, the staff very nice, welcoming and attentive, the food nice and the enterainment very funny.

We do hope that you are planing to come back very soon. For whatever you could need at anytime, please do not hesitate to let us know.

Wales
Reviewed August 4, 2013

Currently staying here, having arrived Tuesday evening. From the moment we arrived the staff have been excellent, extremely polite and helpful, and to date cannot be faulted.
The complex is clean, apartments light and spacious. My only gripe with the apartment is that there isn't a fan or air con upstairs. I understand that air con is available in the superior apartments, but feel at the very least a fan should be provided for both floors, not just the bedroom in the standard accommodation. The complex has been lovely and quiet at night, when the entertainment stops. On the subject of entertainment, we can't comment on as it is not really our thing.

Pool areas are nice, and kept spotless, my only issue here is the sun bed situation. Although this is no fault of the Hotel rather the inconsiderate people who are obviously putting towels down late in the evening. Therefore, like many other guests, we are having to get up early just to be able to get a bed.

The food is nice, but there is little variation, compared to other all inclusive holidays that we have been on anyway. Have had no trouble getting a table at all, and there always seem to be plenty available both inside and out. Waiters do an excellent job of keeping tables clean.

My husband and daughter are happy with the wifi access/coverage, you get 2GB for one week, which is more than enough for browsing and email etc. (This is the premium access which is included in all inclusive, but there is also free wifi in the reception area.)

Las Americas is only a twenty minute walk, which we have done a couple of times and got a taxi back at just over 5 Euros. If you are thinking of going to the Sunday market my advice would be to get there for 9am when it opens, as it gets very busy and very hot.

All in all we are having a lovely holiday, and I am struggling to understand some of the very negative reviews that I have read. I would definitely recommend this complex, especially if you have young children.

We are going to Siam park later in the week, and will review separately.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank LottyWales
Dear Family,

It is absolutely fantastic being the hotel chosen to spend your holidays and to know your sincere opinion while you are still enjoying your very deserved vacation.

Thank you very much for all the information that you provide in your review.
I will pass your comments to all the staff and you know that for everything you need, the BE HAPPY team is here all the time at your disposal.

We do wish you a very pleasant stay

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013

My family of 5 spent 7 nights at the gran oasis at the end of July 2013 as part of a larger family group of 13 and it was simply great!

I write this review from our point of view, whilst I can't speak for the rest of the group I know we all had a good time. We stayed in one of the spacious 2 bed apartments which had views over the complex and the surrounding hills, the resort of Playa de las Americas and out to sea, in the distance you could even see the island of La Gomera. The apartment was big enough for us all and was clean, tidy and well equipped, the shower in the en suite was really good. I was a little worried that the lack of air con would be a problem in the 30 degree heat but the ceiling fans and gentle breeze were more than enough for a cool nights sleep. We didn't use the roof top solarium much but the views from up there were great. We were missing a kettle but that was soon sorted by the very very helpful staff.

The complex itself was clean tidy and spacious, the pools were good fun for the kids, even though we were there in the first week of the school hols there was still plenty of swimming space to be had! The kids activities were varied, ours didn't do many of them but when they did the organisers were friendly and reassuring, making us feel confident to leave our girls with them for a couple of hours. Evening entertainment was so so, but that didn't bother us too much as the kids made friends and we could sit and chill with a few drinks. Couple of very minor gripes..... There was a little bit of a sun bed war to begin with but as the staff got wind of this they started imposing a 'not before 8.30 rule' and locked the beds up so everyone got a reasonable chance of getting a bed, I found it amusing more than annoying! The courtesy bus to the beach could do to be a bit more regular, its a fair trek to the beach and shops but as it was only €4 in a taxi to get back it wasn't too bad.

Food choice was excellent, our kids found something they liked from the adult selection every mealtime, what the staff described as the kids choice was a bit poor, nuggets, chips etc but as ours enjoyed pasta, rice, meat, salad etc from the main selection it wasn't a problem. Each evening was themed, Chinese, Italian, international, the best was the Mexican! I particularly liked the paella and our favourite dessert was the caseo - we want the recipe!

I would highly recommend the gran oasis, the staff were very helpful, courteous and welcoming I'd go so far as to say they were the best I've come across anywhere!

Room Tip: Apartments at the back of the complex are quieter as they are away from the pool area but some back...
2 Thank wenian100
Recepcion G, Reception Department at Gran Oasis Resort, responded to this review, August 4, 2013
Dear Family,

There are no words enough to thank you very much not only for sharing your holidays with us but as well for taking your time to writte your sincere opinion about your experience here.

It is fantastic to know that you have enjoyed your very deserved holidays and you would recommend even our hotel to other people.

We do really hope having the opportunity to welcome you in the near future.

I will pass your review to all the staff and management. They will feel very HAPPY with your satisfaction.

Thank you very much once again for everything and whenever you could need whatever, you know how to contact us. We are here very pleased to help you.

Bridgnorth, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Rooms clean,beer is rubbish I stuck to drinking coke most of the time food can get repetitive but was ok,free bus to las Americas in the morning and afternoon.approx 1mile from the beach you can see the beach from the hotel taxi cost anything from 5 to7 euros to get to Americas.hired car from the hotel price was the same as it was in Americas we ordered th seat Ibiza and they had none so upgraded us to a vow caddy 7 sweater at no extra cost.the only annoying part is the sun beds people go out and reserve them at8am then go and have breakfast or even sometimes go out for the day and it is annoying when their are empty sun beds and people want one needs to be addressed also the older people see to clog up the beds by the pool you would think they have the decency to let people with small children be close to the edge to watch their kids

1 Thank mark n
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your holidays with us and for taking your time once back at home to wrtte this review.

It is great to know that you could enjoy a free upgrade on car rental and to read that you did enjoy a nice holidays despite of some inconvenients.
If you do plan to come back at any time, do not hesitate to contact us before for anything you could need

Reception Department
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa de las Americas
Green Garden Resort & Suites
Europe Villa Cortes
Europe Villa Cortes
#4 of 58 in Playa de las Americas
Tigotan Lovers & Friends Playa de las Americas
Tigotan Lovers & Friends Playa d...
#5 of 58 in Playa de las Americas
Iberostar Anthelia
Iberostar Anthelia
#3 of 58 in Costa Adeje

Been to Gran Oasis Resort? Share your experiences!