“not as bad as some say”

Flamingo Beach Mate
Derby, United Kingdom
“not as bad as some say”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

Just come back from Flamingo Club, had a great week of doing nothing (by choice). Some of these reviews are true (very ignorant receptionist called Carlos, and inappropriate bar tender at the pool) and did see a couple of cockroaches, but that is to be expected in these climates. Some areas are shabby, and the floors could do with polishing up. The timeshare reps are a pest, and the constant 'meetings' are a pain in the backside. Our son had a great time in the pool though, and the apartment had an amazing view and was suitable for our needs, but no air con nearly killed me, the ceiling fan was not enough for the heat, so we had to buy a fan for our sons use, which did help.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (90)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Newcastle
Reviewed July 12, 2012

Although this is our home resort we exchanged for a different date through Interval International. We were put in what can only be described as the dungeon (unit 304) Cockroach heaven! Filthy.
After 2 further changes to non acceptable studio appartments we had to ask for an appointment to speak to the resort manager, Sonia. We told her of the obnoxious receptionist (if they don't like the job they should find another one). The reception manager was no better - arrogant and treats guests with contempt.
Sonia eventually found us an acceptable unit after 3 days.
The public areas, bar and pool area were fine but the units leave a lot to be desired, old rusty fridges, very uncomfortable beds, old grubby bathrooms. I wish we could get out of our contract with the resort!! The management/sales team are just money grabbers.

Room Tip: Ask for a refurbished room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank NewcastleMarie

Travelers are raving about these Playa de las Americas hotels

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 15, 2012

con artists watch out they say you have won a prize keep you there for several hours bore you to death are nasty show you round a resort that is clearly too small the pool would hold 20 people not 200 no air con and shabby apartments
the bar area again too small and they expect you to eat outside ok if not raining which it was when we arrived
they want 3600 for a couple of holiday points then they throw well have three hols for 1900
so you then have to pay for filghts and food cheaper if you book with travel company
the contract if you sign go on the first hol you can then still have your free one and cancel the next payment they expect you to make we consulted a solicitor and it is with a different company and for a different hol so pull the wool over their eyes
ruined our holiday nasty people
if you stay at the hotel we have friends who say it is a constant stream of people wandering around !!!!

Room Tip: go to different place do not be robbed
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
7 Thank maria186317
northamptonshire
Reviewed June 8, 2012

The flamingo as a complex is very nice and rooms have recently been refurbished, 2nd time at the flamingo and I cannot fault it, showers have a design fault and the bathroom floods but they are going to sort this. Great location for local shops,restaurants and bars.

Room Tip: 2nd floor rooms facing the pool/sea are the best, it can get a little noisy but not to bad. No air c...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jlindajen2427
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 18, 2012

really enjoyed our stay in the flamingo club, some the apartments need a little tlc the first one we had was very old fashioned, we were moved after a couple of day to newly refurbished apartment.

The only problem a found with the flamingo club were the grand holiday sales people. constantly on your back to buy not the relaxing holiday we expected.

Room Tip: choose room 506 if is possible it looks over harveys bar but the windows are so well glazed it does...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank littleguy13
Rotherham
Reviewed May 12, 2012

I am not a person who usually leave reviews in fact this is the first review I have ever written but I feel so compelled to do so after my stay at Flamingo Club that I am writing this.
On arrival we were told that because we were not owners of an apartment at Flamingo Club that we would have to pay 15 Euro’s per apartment for electricity and water, which although slightly disgruntled at this we would have accepted more readily if the receptionist talked to us at all politely or indeed like human beings.
We were put in room 601 which is a ground floor apartment overlooking the beach. On the second night whilst I was asleep on the settee with my 2 young children with the lights on and at around 04.45 I was disturbed from my sleep to find a man in my room overlooking us. I screamed the place down and he ran off with my bag.
As a vulnerable woman staying with my mum and 2 children I immediately called security as I was absolutely terrified. They took 45 minutes to come and I called them 5 times.
I asked to change rooms and was told that I would have to wait until 8am until reception was open which I did. When I informed the reception they did not have one ounce of sympathy or understanding and even at first told me I couldn’t change rooms. When I insisted they said I would have to wait until 10.30 until another was cleaned which I didn’t have a problem with at all. However at 11.30 a room still wasn’t available and by this time my children had become anxious and agitated with waiting.
The receptionist did not even look up from the counter when I went to further enquire about the room. Nobody at the resort offered any kind of apology and at one point we were even accused of leaving the door open!!!! Later I was told there had been a spate of burglaries the year before but no one had warned us. The rep came to visit us and even observed that door had been bent when the man had prised the lock open.
This incident aside, there was a parade of timeshare salesman and their potential clients walking around the pool all the time and sitting at the bar giving the sales pitch at all times of day which became very tedious to hear. When one of the reps offered to give me a voucher for food for the rest of the week to make up for the money I had stolen I was told they were reserved for the clients they were showing round to buy timeshares and so couldn’t have any.
We were moved rooms but they never gave us any towels so had to fetch ones from my old room and I had to go and get them myself even though I told them I was nervous about going back into that room by myself. We were never given any fresh towels until I asked on the penultimate night.
Also there are no provisions for wheelchairs or pushchairs apart from to reception and back. All of the rooms are accessible by stairs only and I found this very difficult getting around the complex. The complex is full of timeshare sharks.
The shower overflows every time you use it and my two children both slipped over on the floor, we did report this to reception but nothing was ever done.
One tried to hoodwink my mum into signing a contract and when I intervened to ask questions he called me rude and began to raise his voice, this same sales rep had already had an old couple in tears due to his rude attitude when they refused to sign. He then proceeded to ask me at every opportunity where my mum was and could he have the contract back as he needed it immediately. Despicable behaviour.
All in all, despite the break in, this complex is full of timeshare sharks and miserable heartless staff. I will never return and would not recommend to anybody else.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
19 Thank buntybaggins
East Sussex
Reviewed April 14, 2012

After reading a few reviews I had doubts on going to the apartments but as soon as I arrived I knew that anyone who was negative was just being petty. I had a great apartment overlooking the beach - it was in need of a touch up here & there but I wasn't on holiday to examine the paintwork. It was a great location -literally 50metres from the beach but up a big set of stairs as all the hotels & apartments overlooking La Pinta beach are. I wouldn't recommend it for the less mobile or for parents who need push chairs-far too steep & hard work. The apartments are clean and fresh and the staff are lovely. The main pool ,although cold at this time of the year was clean and pretty deep all over-although perhaps in need of some fresh grouting.The childrens pool was padding only & very small.The poolside bar was popular with a raised seating area. There were lots of sunbeds on a massive area around the pool set in different levels, soft mattresses and great big comfortable round chairs for two people to choose from to slob around in- I normally went out about midday and still had the choice of where to sit. There is a "gym" - but it is set up for pole dancing & not a lot else-(er..not my sort of thing).
Nightlife in the area is fairly low key and pretty much closes at midnight with only a few bars opening later. There was an underused bar in the hotel which offered some entertainment for the older,more sedate customers. Attached to the apartments is Harleys bar- a definite must- to grab a cocktail & be entertained by the bottle juggling barstaff or for a nice meal- but far cheaper is pretty much anywhere else. Up the hill are a couple of bars- the Irish Fiddler and Eugenes (entertainment is seasonal and average - but both have tv screens to watch the football etc) Opposite is a big shopping centre with a range of the "holiday bits" we tend to buy each year. Never pay the full price as you will always get some sort of reduction if you ask.
Down the main hill are a range of varied shops and restaurants - all very average & not overly busy.The best place to shop and eat is down the steps -or down the hill straight onto the seafront heading right towards Fanabe.There is a good value supermarket on the seafront (yes this means you carry stuff up the steps back to the aprtment- but it does provide everything you need).There is a big range of restaurants to choose from on the seafront but I found that if you walk further up (about 10 minutes) and around the seafront you come to 1) the best place to take sunset photo's 2) much better "holiday"shops and the Fun bar (karaoke & entertainment nightly plus as many tv screens as can fit into one pub).
If you like to jog,or walk this part of the coast is beautiful & has an excellent promenade which is always busy.It is however touristy with people trying to politely entice you into restaurants or sell you watches/sunglasses/braid your hair etc.You can also have little fish eat the dry skin off your feet for 6 euro's if you want (yuch). You can walk towards the left (Las Americas) and again there is a nice pathway and lots of shops & restaurants- only takes about 15 minutes - and even quicker if you take the direct route ,not on the seafront. Taxi's are cheap and plentiful should you not wish to walk everywhere like me There is also a bus service about 50metres up the hill to everywhere on the island. Boat trips are popular as you are pretty much on the marina & there are other trips to choose from such as the local water and parrot parks.
The Flamingo apartments are very nice to stay in - I'd say 3*- although I know some others have been recently refurbished so possibly higher- I would n't have wanted an apartment by the garden even though it was pretty - this was purely because I like to see the sea.The area is very good unless you don't like hills or want very late evenings.The beach is clean and there are lots of trips you can choose if you wish to- (personally a week of walking/jogging in the morning then lying around all day suited me).
Would I go again- yes! (as long as I was guaranteed a seaview room)

Room Tip: Seafront room is a must if you like the sea. A quieter room (especially before midnight)would be el...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
6 Thank laughingnun
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa de las Americas
Flamingo Suites
#30 of 57 in Costa Adeje
Lagos de Fanabe Resort
Lagos de Fanabe Resort
#51 of 57 in Costa Adeje

Been to Flamingo Beach Mate? Share your experiences!