“Brilliant return visit”

Dining options: Reservations
ballater
“Brilliant return visit”
Reviewed January 31, 2013

Had a meal here last year at the Cita centre and returned again and busy as last time but managed to get a table outside that was in the cool.The service was good and we asked for the wine we had last year and waiter came out with sample to ensure it was correct one,it was,a nice touch.We had kebabs and pork with mushroom sauce both excellent.Again for price paid can not fault Carlos V.

• Visited January 2013

Dublin
“A true pretender”
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I ended up eating in Carlos V after trying two other restaurants, unfortunately they were full.
The waiter was rude, muttering in Spanish as he showed me to a table. I was hungry and wanted food before meeting friends for drinks later. I was shower a Menu in German and French. I asked for one in English, the waiter refused to give me one, pretending that’s all he had. I did see an English menu at the restaurant. I was hungry and decided that I’d stay quiet and make the best of my basic French. I ordered French Onion Soup, an insult to the French and the Onion. Poor quality it had contained no taste of meat stock. The onions were not caramelized, the baguette not toasted and certainly the cheese was not Gruyere. Not assembled correctly, the result was a gloop topped with cheese. For main course I choose filet of Sole with sauce on the side. Lucky I like garlic as the uncooked fish arrived topped with lots....and lots... Undercooking fish is difficult, however this chef achieved it. The French fries were also under cooked, in fact the two / three I tasted were still frozen, I left the rest. The side salad on the other hand was well cooked, obviously left sitting in a warm kitchen. Again I did not eat as was afraid of the consequences of bugs on the food. If this food was free is was still bad value and potentially dangerous to public health.
I observed the waiter welcoming and being most socialable to Spanish guests but tourists of other nationalities were giving poor treatment and in my case contempt. This establishment is an exception to Gran Canaria. I have always found the people very nice and the staff in restaurants / shops helpful. The staff of Carlos V gave the distinct impression that tourists were not welcome. The food was so bad, wild horses wouldn’t drag me back. The staff tried to force me time and time again to have free drink when I asked for the bill. I declined. I do not go to a restaurant for free drink but rather good food, something Carlos V knows nothing about. Avoid this establishment.

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank Eat4pleasure
ballater
“Well worth the wait”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

We tried on four seperate occasions to get a meal here during our two week holiday and managed to get a table outside for our final meal in Gran Canaria.From the start a very friendly waitress suggested a suitable wine for us which was excellent.The food was the best we had without doubt and worth the wait to get in here.As the price was also the best this maybe explains why Carlos V is so popular.

• Visited March 2012