Bungalows Los Almendros Gays Exclusive Vacation Club
$251
  • Pool
Cordial Biarritz Bungalows(Playa del Ingles)
$148
$140
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Seaside Sandy Beach(Playa del Ingles)
$184
Priceline
AxelBeach Maspalomas(Playa del Ingles)
$91
  • Pool
Sol Barbacan Hotel(Playa del Ingles)
$147
$133
Melia.com
$186
$180
IFA Buenaventura Hotel(Playa del Ingles)
$117
$114
  • Restaurant
$78
$75
Hotel Riu Don Miguel(Playa del Ingles)
$157
Travelocity
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
ClubHotel Riu Papayas(Playa del Ingles)
$227
Travelocity
  • Restaurant
All reviewscita centregay complexcafe wienpoolside bungalowpool sidebungalow resorta great place to staygran canariacleaning ladiesbar and pool areanice poolliving roomwater pressuremin walkrooms are greatper weekat peak times
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 28, 2012

Just back from our ninth visit in ten years. We love the beautiful cactus gardens and palm trees, the well-kept grassy areas to sit out (for the non-pool-side bungalows), the relaxed atmosphere (clothing optional, gay resort), the friendly staff. This year's treat (first time we've been in May) was the exploding cactus trees!

The Cita centre over the road is good for supplies. The Yumbo is 10 minutes' walk or 3 Euros by taxi if you're lazy. Access to the Sand dunes is about 10 minutes' walk to the south (through the Riu hotel).

There are some minor maintenance quibbles but our bungalow had air-con, a powerful shower (albeit slightly hanging off the wall), comfy if firm bed and adequate cooking facilities to knock up a basic pasta dish (fridge, two rings, three pans, kettle and coffee machine). Bungalows are cleaned almost every day. Fresh towels three times a week. Sheets changed once in the week.

We got our chosen (non-pool-side) bungalow this time - this doesn't seem to be guaranteed, though in the past we've usually been able to move after a day or two if we weren't happy with the room (we like a double one away from the pool and reception).

Since last year, they have developed the bar area in an attempt to draw in customers for an early evening drink. A bit concerned that this might impact the privacy aspect though as far as we could tell they were not drawing many customers the week we were there.

Get the bus to and from the airport 3.50 Euros. The bus stops outside the Cita centre about two minutes' walk from the Los Almendros entrance.

I don't understand people complaining about cockroaches. There are one or two around, but it's a bit like complaining about seagulls at Brighton or pigeons in London.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank 5teve_m
Reviewed May 23, 2012

Me and my partner stayed for a week and just got back today. We absolutely loved it, one of the nicest and friendliest hotels we've ever stayed in. Raymond the owner/manager went out of his way to welcome us, the pool is clean and the jacuzzi is perfect! It can have a cruisy feel at times at the pool, but there's an atmopshere generally of respect and it has a friendly atmosphere where it's easy to make friends. Very clean and nice hotel rooms.The only downsides are the lack of kettle and microwave, so take your own kettle and make use of the hob, it's not the end of the world.The cleaning staff are brilliant, very regular and smiley and not at all bothered by naked gay men everywhere. We'd definitely go again.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 8, 2012

Very Disappointing!

I stayed here for 7 days and over all very disappointed. My room smelled of either chlorine or sewer gas depending on time of day. The first morning I was awoken to construction at the adjacent bungalow as the drilled into the wall…which then knocked out the cable to the TV in my room…which was down for 3 days and when it came back only 4 stations worked all German. Reception told me “just deal with it” Ran out of hot water 4 days out of the 6. It was very noise at all times, I had a pool side bungalow and had been awoken twice after 6 am by drinking guests trying to break into my room. Food at bar was under cooked on 3 occasions so just stopped eating there. No microware or toaster in kitchen…”they say self-catering” go figure. The kitchen had 1 pot, 2 plates, 2 cups, 1 of which was cracked, 2 forks and 1 knife that was it! Full of very obnoxious Germans (that’s not the resorts fault) but I do understand German and all the did was insult people and staff all day which gets very tiring after a while…so long story short, never go back. Have been told there are far better places to stay by several people including 2 guest that were there the same time I was and only ended up there because there regular place was sold out. …. FYI they proudly display at reception that they are in the “top Ten” gay resorts in the area…they are number 9 and I could only find 12 in that area of town so they are really 3 from the bottom….

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
8  Thank Dee L
Reviewed April 25, 2012

Really happy with the resort but I would like to recommend that they invest in a lock up for baggage so that it's locked away whilst waiting for flights etc, and perhaps a shower for general use so again whilst waiting 5 hours for the cab people could sunbathe or use the pool and know that there is somewhere to freshen up !!

Room Tip: Pool side is fun !!
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Chris M
Reviewed April 23, 2012

I stayed here for 2 weeks in April, and have been a regular visitor to this complex for a number of years. On arrival we were given our keys and for the first time our bungalow was a poolside one. Usually I have stayed on one of the rows away from the pool, which are perhaps a bit more secluded and quieter.

The bungalows are all decorated very similarly, and have a simple kitchen and bathroom. Our bungalow had twin beds, which I have to admit were quite hard, but other bungalows have new mattresses of varying levels (I tried some out). The kitchen had a coffee machine, but no kettle, toaster or microwave. AFAIK, there are no microwaves in any bungalows, but some do have kettles and/or coffee machines. I think that considering there are similar complexes of a similar price available which have these facilities in their accommodation, that consideration should be made to provide these; although there are plenty of bars and restaurants, it would be useful to have these additions, as you may want to not eat out every night, and perhaps enjoy a nice 'home-cooked' meal, canaries style. I could have perhaps asked for a kettle, but I shouldn't have to. It should be there as standard.

The bathroom was clean, but I think that the bathroom dresser/cabinet has seen better days, with water damage to the bottom and sides. Unfortunately our shower head holder was not 100%, but we managed to fashion it to stay up, and so showers were ok. Generally the bathroom could do with a re-grout and clean up generally, as over time the edges have started to look grubby. But apart from these issues the bathroom was very hygenic, which is a credit to the cleaning ladies.

There is air-conditioning in the living room and bedroom, which is welcome after the hot sunny days, and was all working well. The tv's in the living room and bedroom were the old style, but whilst we were there work was being carried out to replace these in some bungalows, so that is a good sign of work in progress. Hopefully there will be more channels available, or at least those channels available will be possible to tune better, as there are very few, and some of those had a poor signal.

The settee in the living room is not comfortable, for either sitting on or laying on. But they never have been in my opinion.

The bedroom is well proportioned, with twin beds and ample wardrobe space, as well as storage above for your travel bags. Plenty of hangers as well, so no need to bring any from home!

The pool and hot tub areas outside, and in fact all of the outside areas within the complex are tip-top. The attention to cleanliness and tidyness are first class. The grass is well looked after, and everywhere is always brushed or washed down and clean. Plenty of sun loungers and matresses available. The pool is cleaned regularly, and at the time of year we were there the pool was perfect and refreshing. The hot tub was nice and warm, and a good place to chat and make new friends.

Wi-fi. This was a bit of a let-down. The charge for the wi-fi I think is a big mistake. Especially as it kept dropping out. I could forgive the charge if was consistent, but it wasn't. And this was a general consensus between guests, especially if you had an iPad and a iPhone, as you couldn't use the connection for both; you had to have seperate as it is locked to the mac address of the equipment (techies know what I'm talking about). If you are going to provide a service and charge for it, then configure it and get it set up so that it works well, or don't do it at all.

The bar was good, and a range of drinks and food on offer, although if you are wanting a bacon sandwich I'm not sure that deep-frying the bacon is going to win many friends when trying to slip into those new trunks.

There are pool parties occasionally, which are open to outsiders, and non-guests can come into the complex to use the pool and loungers, so if you are in a pool side bungalow hold onto your lounger as it did get very busy on a couple of occasions. Also, make sure you make use of the safe. That's what it's there for.

The cleaning ladies. Nothing fazes them, they are always smiling and joking, and to be honest this complex would not be the same without them. They are legendary, efficient, smiling, and great at what they do.

So, would I stay here again?

And it's simply because it is such a relaxed atmosphere, and overall a nice place to stay. It isn't just the complex itself, but the people who work there to look after you, and also the people who stay there, and that is a mix which is very hard to get.

I would like to see this complex back at Number 1 (even if it is just so they can take down the awards from years ago which are no longer relevant), because it has been and can be again the best place to stay.

They are improving and updating the bungalows as I type this, so If the improvements that are being made continue, then I see this going back to the top spot.

Room Tip: If you want more peace and privacy, don't have a poolside bungalow.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends