“Brilliant value for money”

Las Arenas Apartamentos
Ranked #64 of 135 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Reviewed January 10, 2012

Travelled here with my friend, we are both in our early 20's, at the end of December over New Year. I would recommend this hotel as it was great value for money. We booked it because it was the cheapest hotel in Playa del Ingles and went with no expectations. It was extremely clean and perfect location, so close to the beach and nightlife. The staff were helpful when you asked them anything. The pool looked very nice but was too cold to go in. I would return to this hotel, however not at this time of year as we did not get the best weather, the nightlife was very quiet for this time of year and it was filled with older couples. But would definitly give this hotel more than 2 stars. Only downside was the cleaners were quite rude (maybe just the culture) and outside our apartment was a salon, which lots of people smoked and we could always smell the smoke coming into our room at night.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with friends
4  Thank kjonesy88

Reviewed November 8, 2011

OMG I cannot believe some of the negative reviews of this place. People seem to want 5 star on a 2 star budget. Just remember what you paid to stay here!!!.
I stayed at Las Arenas in May and paid approx 75 pounds for 4 nights accom. What I got was a lovely mini apartment with separate kitchen, sleeping and living area. Admittedly the building could do with a spruce up externally but internally my room was absolutely fine.
It was clean and tidy and the maid service came through daily.
Lovely pool area as can be seen in the hotel pic which I would say is representative of the complex. There is a rooftop area decked out with sunbeds for those who want to bake and the views from up there are fabulous.
The location is perfect with airport bus passing close by, beach just a few minutes walk and easy walking distance to everything else in Playa.
I would stay there again no problem.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled solo
5  Thank MuzznKaff
Reviewed October 25, 2011

PRO –
the location, however the property is very close to two very busy commercial centre located just in front of it, and for some reason is very convenient and for others is a nightmare, as during the day and early night is OK, but after 10pm became very crowded with young’s drunk and sometimes even dangerous, so becareful.
CONS –
The apartments is WITHOUT air conditioning and WITHOUT a fan, for this reason you need to keep your balcony’s door open at all time to let the fresh air come inside, either during the day and the night, (if you don’t want to die as mosquitos), obviously if you have to keep the door open all noisy will be heard from inside, especially during the night time, crickets all night, music from bars and discothèque, street cleaning machine and so on until at least 5 am, became even worst at Saturday night, which it seams to be new year eve, more people, more noisy, more music until 4 am and people screaming and laughing at never ended time till the morning, if you have light sleep you better go to sleep on the beach sands it my be more quite.
TV. Ahahahahaha TV? Yes to be used with coins only and is old like 70’s, ridiculous at 2011 you must pay to watch a regular tv channel, I’m not talking about satellite or movie or anything else beside of just regular national channel, no way if you don’t pay, it was like this at my fist visit near 80’s and already at that time I felt it was ridiculous, it seams the time stop here nothing change, but now is getting worst, it maybe the economic crisis but this should the minimum requirement for a customer service.
HOT water heater, 25 liter capacity, its enough to clean a baby by the time you finish the hotel water and after you must wait in order to have it again hot water for a second shower, so you need to calculate at least 1 hour if 2 persons need to shower; the furniture is like the TV, old and dirty and it seams that the sofa cover blank is never been washed.
WIFI is free of charge but available at the tiny reception area ONLY, which obviously does not make comfortable if you want to talk through skype and/or you want to do some work on internet, very annoying and inappropriate at 2011 with no basic service and important like wifi.
To be honest it was a very cheap accommodation, therefore you get back NOTHING, for a little bit more money you certainly can have much better accommodation and more useful service; you only need to surf little more through internet and you find it, but if you looking for a relax holiday this is the place to avoid at all cost, your entire desires will be completely destroyed and you’ll came back home more stressful as you have arrived, that’s is guaranteed.
It’s a shame as I love gran canaria and I normally go 4 to 6 times every year, but this place need to converted to hostel, from poor to very bad in almost everything.
Good luck and enjoy gran canaria, wonderful landscape all year around.
I haven't yet download the photo of the place and as soon as I've done you can see what I'm talking about.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo
2  Thank Dpsenior2605
Reviewed January 25, 2010

Dont even bother, i booked a bugdet few days away, expecting very little, somewhere clean and tidy that all. I was given my apartment, it was horrible. Smelt really musty and was very tired looking and outdated. Looked around and hated it, walked in saw brocken window. Went to reception asked for another room, said was full. Rang around to find somewhwere else to stay and left. Dont bother no matter how cheap it is. PS picture of hotel is not correct, sorry was not there long enough to even get my camera out to take a picture or unpack.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank Jonathan S
Reviewed April 1, 2007

OK there are better apartments than these but read on. My girlfriend and I stayed here during the last week of March 2007. We only booked the holiday the week before we left, so we had no choice. They only had these apartments available. I checked the previous reviews on TripAdvisor, and was very nervous about going there. But we very still excited about leaving the particularly bad Irish weather behind, so on we went.
We expected worse when we got there. But they were clean, only slightly run down. Every apartment has a balcony. We had to push 2 single beds together to make a "double" which is`nt ideal, but manageable. The apartments are cleaned every 2nd day, including towel change. The kitchen has a mini cooker and fridge. The bathroom is basic, but has all you need.
The apartments have 2 swimming pools, one large and one for the kids. They are both clean. The beach is only 5 minutes away. There is a solarium on the roof with magnificent views of PDI and maspalomas.
To summarize: we had a great week with super weather. We made the most of it and these apartments did the job just fine. If you want 5 star accomodation, they are not for you. If you see the glass as being half full rather than half empty, you will have no problem with these apartments.

Stayed: March 2007
4  Thank DublinMichael
Reviewed January 19, 2007

Would not be my first choice!! Apartments are too basic, the bathroom door did not close so we all got a view of each other washing ourselves and using the loo (which never flushed!) Funny Smell in the kitchen all the time. Reception staff were very rude. Alot of apartments left abandent. The ony good thing about Las Arenos Apartments was the pool and it was so central to eveything, pubs, shopping centre, nightclubs etc....... were only across the road.

• Check in / front desk
3  Thank JanLaois
Reviewed January 8, 2007

Stayed in Las Arenas with a few friends in Oct '06. I have been to Gran Canaria a number of times and this is by far the worst hotel I have stayed in to date. The rooms were dirty, extremely old fashioned, noisy and in need of a complete gutting to refurbish them. Apartments are small, you can hear your neighbours next door, above you and below you and there is nothing in the apartment except your room. In October there wasn't even a bar or a vending machine to get a drink from in the apartment block!

We arrived and due to the construction work going on next door and our complaints to the rep about the terrible apartments and the noise from next door we were moved from these apartments. Not worth the money! Don't go there!

• Stayed: October 2006, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank one2watch