“Excellent stay”

Ranked #19 of 134 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
“Excellent stay”
Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

We have just returned from a week half board at this hotel and would definitely recommend a stay here. We requested a high floor room and were put on the top floor. The room was spacious as was the balcony which had a large sofa and table set. The room did overlook a busy main road which was quite noisy at night but then we did have the patio doors wide open! The doors were double glazed and when shut no noise could be heard. The hotel was spotless throughout and well maintained. The spa and rooftop terrace were added extras which should make this hotel a 4 star! Breakfast and evening meals were excellent with always plenty of choice and the food was always fresh! This hotel is suitable for all age groups and has plenty going on for children, even older children could access the brilliant games room with bowling, snooker, pool, games tables and computers! The hotel has a very relaxed atmosphere in a safe environment. Overall the staff work really hard to provide excellent service at this hotel.

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank philer70

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (103)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

The room is really big, large balcony with splendid view. Wide choices of food, great taste. Wine was too simple, so we bought one in nearest shop, that just on other side of the road. Only 5 minutes of walk to ocean. Bus station is located towards hotel. I liked staying here.

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Max M
Wales
Reviewed March 24, 2014

After facing a horrible UK winter and a hectic few months of work, my partner and I were both in need of a relaxing, sunshine filled break. We wanted to just unwind for a few days, soak up the sun and stay at a hotel that offered a peaceful and relaxed atmosphere. Thanks to the previous reviews on this site about the Escorial, we booked it for a week – and I am so pleased we did!
Everything about this hotel was perfect. In fact, it was one of the best hotels I have ever stayed at and I will definitely be returning! There are so many good things to say about this place, but I will highlight the really outstanding areas below.

The Staff: The whole team at The Escorial are amazing. From the lovely cleaners, to the restaurant staff, the bar staff, the receptionists and even the very smiley gardeners – you get the impression that they all love their jobs and the hotel itself. Nothing seemed like too much trouble for any of them. They were all gracious, kind and showed a huge generosity of spirit that is very rare these days. I would go as far as to say that the staff here are what truly ‘makes’ this hotel.

Dining: The Escorial offers a buffet style dining experience which means you can help yourself as much as you like to the delicious food produced by the kitchen team. I really enjoyed breakfast and had bacon, omelettes, mushrooms and toast most mornings (it was my holiday after all!) but there was a good selection of continental style breads, meats, cereals and eggs too. Even the coffee in the urns was good quality or you can use one of the coffee machines too. We stayed half board, and the breakfasts here are enough to keep you going all day until dinnertime but you can also grab a snack in the bar. Dinner was also excellent with a good choice of dishes including freshly cooked meats and fish from the grill station. All the food was fresh, tasty and you will find something you enjoy.

Rooms: I had requested a room on a higher floor as part of my booking, but when we arrived, we were put in a lower floor one. It turns out that there was a MASSIVE carnival taking place on the night we arrived and all other rooms were booked, but the lovely receptionists promised we could move the next day. The first room was actually fine: really clean, comfy beds and a huge balcony. We moved rooms the next day and the new one was just as good. The bathrooms are excellent with good water pressure so you almost have a power shower and the towels were changed every second day. The room sizes are really generous and the balconies are huge by hotel standards! Make sure you check the wardrobe for the extra pillows too.

Facilities: The Escorial is well known for having an outstanding ‘wellness centre’ and it really didn’t disappoint! We got into a routine of having a swim, sauna and float in the ‘Dead Sea’ pool each morning after breakfast which was a great start to the day. The Dead Sea pool is a must try whilst staying here! You are also offered a complementary ‘Rasul’ treatment which was the most relaxing 20 minutes of my life. You cover yourself in a thin layer of mud then relax in a steamy room while music plays – I was nearly falling asleep it was so good. The wellness centre was immaculately maintained and the lady who runs it was so friendly, polite and charming. We didn’t try the outdoor swimming pool but that was also clean and well maintained. There was a good election of activities each day such as archery, quizzes, pistol shooting and music. In the evening, there were different acts such as flamenco dancers, gymnasts, cabaret and drag shows – all were really good! My favourite part was the gardens: they are lushly planted and well maintained by the gardeners here. If you go past the dining area, you will find a sunbathing area set among the trees and a lovely dip pool to cool off in. This was the perfect place to lounge around all day, read a book and listen to the chatter of birds.

Atmosphere: The Escorial had a lovely homely, relaxed, friendly atmosphere that really makes a stay here special. At all times I felt safe and well looked after and despite being the only Brits here for the majority of our stay, we chatted freely with other guests from Germany, Sweden and Holland. Luckily, my boyfriend speaks fluent German and we both speak basic Spanish which definitely helped. All the staff I met spoke a good level of English too, but they really loved it when we tried out our rusty Spanish on them! Above all, I never once felt ‘ripped off’ by prices. In fact, I was honestly amazed at how good this hotel is in terms of value for money.

The Escorial is a three star hotel – but it should be a four at the least. Everything was wonderful and I have returned home feeling relaxed, happy and completely rejuvenated. If you are looking for a laid back break in the sun at a hotel run by friendly, approachable and professional staff, then look no further. I am about to book for another week this coming September to celebrate my partners birthday. I can’t think of anywhere better than here for a birthday break. Thanks to all the staff for making our much needed holiday so perfect.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
12 Thank DigitalGirl01
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Just returned from another wonderful holiday staying at the Escorial in Playa Del Ingles. Yet again found the staff to be as pleasant and helpful as they could be. Food was still to the standard as i expected with enough choice that you should be able to find something that you can eat, even if you are fussy. As all inclusive goes very good with international drinks as well as local not many hotels do this. Entertainment ok. Facilities including dead sea pull and wellness area excellent. Personally with a few tweeks the hotel could be 4 star. Only thing that should be changed is enforcing no towels on sun bed rule and dress code for restaurant . Also new pillows on beds, otherwise great.

Room Tip: Try and get a room 4th floor or above also go for rooms starting from a 1-6. ie 401-406 sunny and ov...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank SUBWAYGAFFER
scotland
Reviewed December 23, 2013

This is our 2nd time at the Escorial...The hotel yet again was spotless, Room comfortable with large balconies, The food and drink faultless. They have also upgraded all the rooms with flat screen tv's with over 70 channels available inc sky movies mtv etc. My only grumble from last trip was the entertainment available they had at night but they have vastly improved it with Freddy running all the daytime activities including darts, archery, pool table tennis etc and nightime entertainment. It was so good we never needed to leave the hotel. All hotel Staff were excellent in particular Martin and Oscar who work on the bar. You never wait longer than 1minute to get served even when the bar is busy, they are true professionals.
I have no faults at all with this place. Only thing some people get upset about here is it is mostly german/scandanavian people who book here but for me its great not to meet any other british people as we made great friends from places such as Boden in Sweden, Brussels in Belgium and Hamburg in Germany. Great people with fantastic chat.
The wife and I will return again to Escarial for a week of relaxation great food/drink and entertainment.
This is an amazing hotel which is run with German precision right down to the fine details.
Well done All at the Escorial
Ross and Karen from Scotland - Room 617 - 14th to 21st December.

Room Tip: the higher floor rooms are quieter and round the side of the hotel overlooking the jacuzzi and park...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank tudan
London
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My wife and I have just returned from a successful short stay at the Escorial. In many ways this was more a 4-star than a 3-star hotel. The rooms are quite large and well laid out, with two large singles placed side by side, but even with that there is plenty of leg room for two adults. The balcony is also exceptionally large - compared to many other hotels we saw in Playa del Ingles, and we were lucky enough to have one with a good view towards the sea. The room comes with a large table and 2 chairs along one wall, plenty of shelf and hanging space, a medium-sized fridge, a modern TV with several English language channels, ceiling fan and reasonably fast wifi in the room as well as in the public spaces. The bathroom was large enough, featured a full sized bath, with shower, shaver point and hair dryer. Air con was available (2 euros per day) but we didn't need it in October. We paid an extra euro per day for the room safe, to lock up our laptop and passports. We still left jewellery and bits and pieces on the desk-top and nothing went missing. Our room was cleaned well each day, we had a change of sheets and several towel changes. They also provide beach towels, for a 10 euro deposit, and 1 euro if you keep the same towel for the length of your stay. So no need to pack a towel for the pool or beach. There were plenty of spaces on the main floor of the hotel to take your drink or your laptop or your book, and there were always sufficient loungers around the pool (which was just about warm enough for swimming on this visit). We enjoyed too the roof top solarium, and the amazing wellness centre on two basement floors. All of which was free. Most of the hotel's guests were German, Dutch or Scandanavian, but everyone was polite and replied in better English than my German. The Escorial's own staff were wonderful: everyone from cleaners to bar staff to servers in the restaurant was friendly, polite and helpful. Almost all spoke some English, several more than a little. Most guests were either on half board or full board. If you plan to take advantage of Playa del Ingles's long beach, probably half board would be best - and it wasn't very expensive. If you're likely to spend more time around the hotel - and you easily could - then the all inclusive would be a good bet; except you might be tempted to over-eat. The food at both breakfast and dinner was excellent and varied. All was served buffet style - but at each meal a chef was cooking fresh food to take back to your table. At breakfast it was fresh eggs or omlettes, and sausages or bacon; at dinner it was usually one meat dish and one seafood dish prepared freshly. In addition, at dinner there were at least half a dozen main courses, and a variety of salads, plus fresh bread and a varied cheese board. If you weren't paying for all inclusive, you had to buy your drinks, but at 1 euro 80 for a large glass of wine and 1 euro 20 for a fresh coffee, you could hardly complain. The water at dinner was free, and even better was the freshly-squeezed orange juice at breakfast (not to mention the small glass of sparkling wine). At the price, this hotel is a great find. It is also well located, for buses that go everywhere (including to and from the airport). You can walk to the nearest beach in about 7-10 minutes, or take a bus (for 1 euro 40) to the Citta Commercial Center and then walk down the steps to the main beach and the wonderful dunes. I recommend the hotel highly.

Room Tip: higher floors have a good view
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Old_Michael
Brussels
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We have stayed half-board in Escorial hotel for 2 weeks, end of September, with our 1 year old daughter.
Room: was large enough to fit even the baby bed, leaving us enough space to move. The balcony was big, facing the bus station. We didn’t use the air conditioning and we didn’t really feel the need to have it.
The bathroom was not small but there was very little space near the sink to put your staff. We had a problem with the bathtub draining extremely slow, so we had asked twice for a repair but no noticeable improvement was done. Another thing, when we have arrived, the hotel provided 3 little soaps and they have not refilled at all in 10 days, even when we specifically asked. So, we had to buy our own shower gel and shampoo !
Facilities - the hotel has 2 swimming pools outside and one for children. There are plenty of sunbeds near the pool. Also, there is a place for children to play and a jacuzzi too in the garden. In the hotel basement there is a wellness center that is amazing. There is a big pool with warm water and jacuzzi and another one with very salty water called "Dead sea" that looks like a cave and the atmosphere there is great. There are also another jacuzzi bath, relaxing room with water beds, turkish bath, sauna, solarium, big fitness room, computers, bowling etc. The hotel provides also other services like massage and other treatments for which you'll pay of course but the prices are acceptable. For this wellness center, the hotel stands definitely on top for a 3* hotel. Free wi-fi with decent speed was also a plus.
Parking - there are just few parking spaces of the hotel but we have asked at the reception for a permit to park and we have always found a place.
Staff - people working in the hotel were very nice. At the reception I have found only open and smiling people. We didn't experience any impolite personnel. In the restaurant also, the waiters were very nice and many of them stopped to give some smiles or to talk with my little daughter.
Cleaning - was extremely superficial. And with an one year old baby believe me you'll notice. The balcony was full of dust and ashes and not cleaned for days. Under the chairs was also full of dust and small particles. We had to ask at the reception one day to clean our room more carefully and they did it the next day.
Noise - Having the room facing the street was a little noisy. I used earplugs every night because in the morning around 5-6am the cars started to pass, and even with them, sometimes I was awake early in the morning because of the traffic.
Food - it was excellent. A lot of options of meat, salads and fruits. It's true that there were not too many options of deserts, only 2-3 types of cakes, fresh fruits, icecreams, fruit salads, sweet yogurts, but everything I tried was delicious. There were always 2 cooks preparing the food in front of you. In the morning for example, they were preparing orange juice in front of you and the taste was completely natural comparing the bottled juice that generally the hotels are offering. My daughter celebrated 1 year during our staying and I have asked for a little cake at the reception. The cooking chef made a very nice cake (bear head) within short notice and the taste was remarkable. And more, they have sent as a greeting card in our own language and the cake was considered as a present from the hotel. Very nice surprise, and many thanks to the chef.
Location - the hotel is 5 min walk from the beach. You go out of the hotel, you turn right and then you turn left. You arrive on a high promenade with beautiful view to the sea. Then, take the stairs down and you arrive at the big beach. It's close to a lot of shops and restaurants. In front of the hotel there is a bus station, and the bus network is a very good one. Check their site for schedules and routes of each bus number.
During our staying, we have rented a car, even if the local bus covers the entire island. With a baby was more comfortable. You can find a lot of rent a car shops around with good prices.
Nevertheless, ignoring the little problems of the hotel, we have enjoyed our staying there.

Room Tip: A room facing the pools might be a better choice.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family