“The good, the bad and the ugly”
Review of HL Hotel Rondo

HL Hotel Rondo
Ranked #51 of 134 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Glasgow
“The good, the bad and the ugly”
Reviewed April 26, 2013

We stayed here for 1 week in the middle of April, and overall I would say that we did enjoy our stay, however I think that there are some areas the hotel could really improve on.

THE GOOD-

The staff are friendly, courteous and efficient. From check in to check out I could not fault the service we received. The rooms are large and spacious with plenty of storage and large bright bathrooms. Overall the entire hotel was spotless- if looking a little tired. The food was of a reasonable standard- with the barbecue restaurant at the Miraflor and the Chinese buffet at the Rondo of a higher standard than the main buffet restaurant. We found the pool at the Miraflor a better option as it was beautifully planted with better loungers than at the Rondo and had better shade. The activities ran by the animation team through the day were of a good standard with yoga and aquafit, but if you didn't want to join in you we're not pestered.

THE BAD-

No air conditioning in either the rooms or the communal areas/ restaurants. For us this was by far the worst feature of this hotel. Granted it was unseasonably warm for April with temperatures going up to 35 degrees and temperatures of 24 at night. We thought it would not be an issue as it was April- we were wrong! I don't know how anyone can stay in this hotel during July or August! The temperature was unbearable at times in the restaurant, and this could have been helped by opening some doors/ windows particularly at lunch time when we were trying to escape from the midday heat. We saw a lot of people fanning themselves so it was obviously not just us! We preferred to eat breakfast and dinner in the back room of the restaurant where the Chinese buffet is because it was substantially cooler than the main restaurant. For some reason this area was shut off at lunchtime, presumably to prevent the staff having to clean it- during one of the hotter lunchtimes we asked if we could move through the open doors to this area and were told that it was not allowed and the staff shut over the doors adding to the uncomfortable heat. If this area had been open at lunchtime it would have really improved our lunch experience. Also some outdoor seating that could be used at mealtimes would have improved this hotel substantially- I mean it is Gran Canaria- it is warm enough to sit outside comfortably all year.
The temperature in the rooms was unbearable at night time so we had to sleep with the balcony doors open. Unfortunately our rooms faced onto an extremely busy road and this meant it was very noisy from very early in the morning. We considered asking to move room but as the hotel is on the corner of two busy roads, we did not think moving would help. I had read on this site that pool view rooms are quieter, but as these rooms are south west facing I think they would have been even hotter than the north facing rooms we had.
The beds were the worst beds we have ever slept on. They were very hard- We have a reasonably hard bed at home so hard beds are not normally an issue but these took the biscuit! Every morning my partner had to lie on the floor for a while to stretch out his back and by the end of the week I thought I would have to visit a chiropractor! Coupled with the heat and the noise, I would estimate that we managed about 3 hours sleep per night- not what you want during a relaxing holiday!
The pool at the Rondo was quieter than at the Miraflor and we would have used it if it was not for the sun loungers which, for reasons best known to the hotel, cannot be adjusted to sit up for reading etc meaning you had to lie flat. Maybe the loungers were only for sleeping as it was the only sleep guests are likely to get! As I have already mentioned, the loungers were much better at the Miraflor, which meant that the majority of guests went there making the Miraflor pool pretty crowded. You had to be up early to get a bed with a parasol.
The beach was about 20 minutes walk away, which normally I don't mind- But as I will explain later, the resort is not a pleasure to walk through. There was a free bus from the hotel but it was only once every couple of hours and we don't really like to be tied to a timetable when we are on holiday so we didn't use it.
Another bad point is that the all inclusive drinks stop at 10.30pm which is much earlier than any other AI hotel I have ever visited.

THE UGLY-

Just a word of note about the resort itself. We last visited Playa Del Ingles around 10 years ago and knew that it was not pretty. We probably would not have chose to visit it again, but were overruled by the rest of our family. I had hoped that the resort would have improved but it was exactly the same as it was 10 years ago and, I fear, has been the same since the 1970's. I would describe it as a concrete jungle and although there is plenty to do at night time, all the nightlife is located around shopping centres which made me feel as if we were drinking in a supermarket every night. The Yumbo Centre is the closest one to the hotel and has plenty going on- not all of it to my taste after 11pm- but each to their own! It reminded me of Cumbernauld shopping Centre. For those of you not familiar with Cumbernauld- it won the ugliest town centre award for years due to the amount of concrete and bad architecture!

Overall- I know my review could be regarded as harsh, but we did have a good time. With a few easily sorted improvements this hotel could be a lot better. For the money we paid- it was really cheap- the hotel was fine however I would have probably rather paid slightly more for better facilities and a better location. We would not return to Playa Del Ingles and unfortunately, despite the great staff, we would not return to the Rondo.

Room Tip: Pool rooms are quieter but will be hot. Road facing rooms are cooler but noisy.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Laurapants1
HotelesLopez, Headoffice Hoteles Lopez at HL Hotel Rondo, responded to this review, April 29, 2013
Dear Hotel Rondo guest,

thank you very much for your opinion.
We appreciate very much your comment and wanted to inform you that in 2014 the Hotel Rondo will be refurbished including air condition for all rooms.

Wishing all the best for you and your family we remain with

best regards,

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
doolin
Reviewed March 27, 2013

We return every year to this wonderful hotel.
All the staff are wonderful but ~Juan in the bar and Jerry in the activity club are the best.
They greet us so well and both provide a great service to all the guests.
The buffet in the restaurant is varied and good for both adults and kids.
The rooms are well serviced and clean.
We are planning already for next year.
Room 215 in February

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CeciliaMargaret
HotelesLopez, Headoffice Hoteles Lopez at HL Hotel Rondo, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear Hotel Rondo guest,

thank you very much for taking your time and letting us know your opinion about holidaying with us.
We appreciate very much that you are so reliable and return every year!
Wishing you all the best, we remain with

best regards,
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 15, 2013

My stay at the Rondo did not start well. Due to an "overbooking situation", I was given a studio in the Liberty Apartments next door which was not a good start to my holiday . This is despite the fact that I phoned a week before to check that all was OK with my booking as a similar thing happened to me a couple of years ago with this hotel.I also understand from a member of staff that overbooking here is quite common.
Despite this, I have to say that the remainder of my 3 week stay at the Rondo was very good. The staff, from the front desk to the catering/bar staff and cleaners are charming and very helpful. Due to the problems with my first night i was given a larger "family room" which although the furnishings have seen better days, was very comfortable. The restaurant is large and very informal with a good selection of hot and cold dishes plus a great Chinese buffet. The pool at the Rondo is small but I used the one at the Mirador which shares facilities with the hotel and is much better.
Overall a very pleasant stay. I would however recommend that anyone who is booked here phones a couple of days to check that all is OK with their reservation. Despite really enjoying my stay I shall be reluctant to book again due to the overbooking situatiom

Room Tip: pool facing, avoid the road facing rooms
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank UK10143
preston
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Have just stayed at the Rondo for 10 days. Been many times before and know what to expect. On arrival we were put in a bungalow/ miraflor side for one night. I have wondered what these are like as they are 4 *. They have been refurbished to a superb standard, but lack the views of the main hotel and give a lack of privacy. The family room that we had for the rest of the stay is very nice but is showing its age. I presume it will get a refurb sooner than later. You get used to more facilities , not sure how it would cope if you had to cook meals. We have been spoilt by upgraded hotels with more superior rooms. Balconies are small. Food ,whilst plenty of choice for meat eaters, lack inspiration of a hot vegetarian dish on most nights. The rooms for some reason were expensive in January, much cheaper normally. Not sure if we would stay again until it has an upgrade. The main asset of this hotel is its friendly reception and catering staff which lifted any. Most people would complain about lack of air-conditioning...not needed in January though.

Room Tip: If you like sunny balconies you need to ask, as at some times of the year a lot of them have little...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ptpete
nottingham
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel half board with a party of four and the food and service was excellent. The hotel was clean and the staff most helpful. It is a long walk to the beach but free transport is provided.
A splendid holiday!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank johnconrad
Vestmannaeyjar, Iceland
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The apartment was very clean,new towels daily and the room was made up five times a week.The food was fine there were three restaurants so you could find something you like.The staff was very nice.I have bean in many hotels in. Playa del Ingles ,and this is one of the best.I will stay there again,you will get more then you PAY FOR.The location is great 5 min from Yumbo center and 15 min from the beach and taxi back only 3 euros or free bus.Tanks for us

Room Tip: Rooms on third floor or higher and number over 10
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Hjalti H
manchester
Reviewed January 8, 2013

Even for a bargain holiday this hotel is poor, no air conditioning and getting hold of room fans is nigh on impossible. Food is bland slime that is mainly geared towards the German palate. The pool on the bungalow side is marginally better but get up early if you want a bed. The resort is pretty grim Blackpool in the sun would be an insult to Blackpool. Our entire family ended up referring to the hotel as el wrongo in playa del ugly!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank babychickens
HotelesLopez, from the Headoffice Hoteles Lopez Group at HL Hotel Rondo, responded to this review, January 9, 2013
Dear guest of the Hotel Rondo,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write your review and for your recent stay with us.
We are sorry to learn that you have not entirely enjoyed your holiday with us, and that you were not happy with the hotel and it´s faciltites.

In our restaurant, we offer beside the Chinese show cooking area as well a weekly Canarian evening with live music, and the restaurant in the neighboring 4* Miraflor Suites is also available to guests of the Hotel Rondo. The menu changes daily and our goal is to provide an enjoyable stay for all our guests of all nationalities. As the Restaurant and Bar services are certainly a very important part of every holiday, we have of course forwarded your comments to the respective hotel departments.

Thanking you again for your stay with us and sending our best regards from the Canary Islands,

The Management of the Hoteles Lopez Group
#18 of 134 in Playa del Ingles
AxelBeach Maspalomas
AxelBeach Maspalomas
#8 of 134 in Playa del Ingles

Been to HL Hotel Rondo? Share your experiences!