“Lovely place ”

AxelBeach Maspalomas
Ranked #8 of 134 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

We have just arrived from a week in axel beach and have to say was pleasantly surprised. When entered our room we noticed that it hadn't been cleaned from the previous residents. We called the reception and immediately a Member of staff came up and was clearly mortified! She called down to reception and we were shown to a new room which was a pool view (these rooms are normally €20 a night more expensive) about 20mins later we were given an apology letter with 2 drink vouchers from the bar.
The rooms have been freshened up since it was liberty and looks good.
The main things for us was the bed was huge and very comfortable so much so when we arrived we went for a nap and woke up 4 hours later.
The room had air conditioning which was a god send. The free wifi was always good
The room had all the toiletries needed also including tooth brushes/paste, shavers shaving foam soap etc which was good and when we return we will not take any this with us.
The staff were also very friendly never had any issues at all they were so helpful and alway said hi.
The only downside was the prices of food/drinks and the pool bar were so overly prices we very rarely bought anything from the bar.
Definitely the best hotel we have stayed in in playa del ingles in the 6 years we have been going and can't wait to return.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Rabranter
AXELBEACH M, Director General at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your great comment about Axel Beach Maspalomas!!
i'm pleased that you been in our hotel. We strive to provide the best service and maintaining an enjoyable atmosphere. Nothing is more important to us than well being of our customers.

We look forward to seeing you here again in the not-too-distant future.
Thank you too for comming!!

Best Regards,

There are newer reviews for AxelBeach Maspalomas

Reviewed July 16, 2014

Have been here since the 7th July the hotel itself is great and have reviewed before. However there are a few personal issues I have. THE MUSIC:the poolside music becomes so repetitive and unbearable after 8 days I could no longer sit by the pool area. POOL PARTYS:I'm a party person and love to get involved in a good party session but when the hotel residents become second best to outside paying pool party guest there really is a problem. Would have been a better idea to have a cordoned area for hotel residents to still enjoy the spa area and have waiter service and not have to struggle through a load of pilled and sniffed up kids...
THE CLEANERS on holiday I like to go to bed when I please and get up when I please... Not possible here. The cleaners are banging on your doors first thing in the morning trying to service the apartments...even with the do not disturb sign on the door they let them selves in and I have been still asleep or in shower. It's rude it's not good and it's just unacceptable.

Ok some good points:
Staff are nice and helpful - as should be
Grounds are clean and lovely - as should be
Nice spa area
Good gym
Good food

Now the deal breaker:

THE PLACE STINKS OF RAW SEWAGE.....
I have asked cleaners and they sprits a little air freshener it's so bad you can taste it.... I won't be back again unless with a gas mask... Really we should have been offered another holiday or discount to make up for the unbearable holiday in a sewer.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Moogwoo
AXELBEACH M, Director General at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

Dear Guest,

We have taken note of your comments and hope to remedy soon, in order to improve our quality and service.
We really appreciate your time and your opinion.

I hope to see you soon in Axel Beach Maspalomas or at one of our Axel Hotels around the world.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Stayed at Axel Beach for a week with a friend. Arrived early and room not ready but Carmen on reception was excellent and swapped things about so we could settle in straight away. The room was nicely decorated and clean. Bathroom was fine and things like shower gel and toothpaste were provided. Mini bar very expensive so just bought our own at a nearby supermarket. Couldn't get the air con to stay on but a fan in bedroom and main area seemed to keep the room cool. Not much English TV but you'll be fine if you can speak German! About 5 minute walk to Yumbo and 2 minutes to nearest supermarket. Pool area was lovely, no problems getting a lounger, however bar drinks expensive. The Wifi was somewhat intermittent although it was free so no money lost. Staff all very friendly and helpful. Rooms cleaned daily and looked great after they had been done. Breakfast was included in our stay and was a buffet. This was fine to get you started on your day.

Downsides.. well not many really... one thing that did make many residents go out or stay in their rooms was a beach party on the saturday. This had very loud music from 12-2000 and lots of visitors from outside the complex. We were advised this was going to happen but only the day before in the lift. If you wanted a nice day by the pool you were out of luck. It seemed to be getting a little out of control and the lady with long red hair seemed to be getting a bit stressed by the behaviour of some of the visitors. This and the occasional strong smell of sewers are the only downsides. Overall a nice stay with the staff being very helpful and friendly. Nice type of people staying who all mixed together well

Room Tip: Rooms facing pool have a better view.. other side facing road isn't the best!
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank Patrickaclark

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your feedback and your time in giving us the opportunity to improve our services. We greatly appreciate the confidence you have placed in us as your landmark hotel in Maspalomas.

We hope you visit us again soon.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed July 13, 2014

The hotel looks very nice from outside and cant fault the pool or jacuzzi. Now for the actual room.. when first arrived room smelt of sewerage which came almost every day for the 10 day stay. the Shower temperature was very tempermental.And room service either walked in on you even with private on the door, or come at 6pm with happened a few times. safe to say we wont be returning.

Room Tip: Beach about 15mins walk away. Air con in room which is a must.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mark H

Dear Guest,

We really appreciate your time and your opinion.

Yours Sincerely,

Reviewed July 10, 2014

We had been staying at Playa Del Sol before arriving at Axel Beach. Playa was cheap and cheerful, basic but you get what you pay for.

We then went to Porto Rico for a few nights before coming back to Playa Del Ingles. We checked in Axel, the receptionist was a bit abrupt but showed us to our room. Bearing in mind this hotel cost twice the price of Playa the room didn't compare in the slightest. We had requested two twin beds but it was double. The room was half the size, balcony very tight. The room was decorated in a horrible brown colour and the kitchen tiles where a complete mis mash. Bathroom was adequeate but the shower pressure and tempeature seemed to have a mind of its own! The toiletries and tooth brush etc was a nice touch. There is a mini bar in the rom but the drink prices are so overpriced.

We were given two free internet codes but unfortunately the Wifi wasn't working. One of the main selling points of this hotel was the air conditioning, (something that Playa Del Sol missed) but again, this wasn't working.

On our way out for the evening I addressed my concerns with the genteleman behind reception and he assured me all of our issues would be resolved by the time we returned.

Anyway, after a fantastic evening we returned to the room to discover everything was still broken and the beds hand't been changed. The room at this point was so warm we where both melting. I then noticed two ceiling fans, one in the living area and other in the bedroom. We tried for about 15 minutes to get them working, only to discover yet again - they where broke!

I had an awful nights sleep, my friend stayed in the bed and I slept on the sofa. The room tempeature was a joke. Anyway, eventually as the sun was rising I drifted off to sleep - three hours later there was a bang on the door. We either had to check out now (admitedly it was 12.30 - check out is at 12pm) or pay 20 euros to stay until 2.00pm. I was half asleep, tired and mardy so agreed to pay the extra 20 to stay.

I couldn't get back to sleep so we bother showered and checked out. At reception I refused to pay the extra 20 euros but agreed to cover the cost of the mini bar. The only reason we slept in was because we couldn't sleep in the first place! The lady behind reception was so unbelievably rude - it was a joke!

This hotel is a sham. It's trying to be something it's not - the hotel room directory is fancy and they have some quirky ideas (you can put a D on your day which means 'disturb' so guests can wonder from room to room) but in reality the bed wasn't right, the room was SO warm, no air con, ceiling fans didn't work and no Wifi. What did we get? A rude lady who just shrugged her shoulders.

I'm gay and only 21 - trust me, you're missing nothing. Playa del sol all the way!

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled with friends
8  Thank Charlierbrown

Dear Customer,

Thank you for your review, I am sorry that your stay at the hotel was not to your liking.

First of all thank you for your review and I want to apologize for an atypical situation that has lived in our hotel, I must say that we have already taken action in this regard on its non-satisfaction with staff.

I can only tell you, to please give us a second chance, which I'm sure will not disappoint you this time.

Again sorry for what happened, yours faithfully,

Reviewed July 10, 2014

Great outside pool área and garden. Hotel was refurbished in 2012/13 and got more elegant now, (Namechange: from Aparthotel Liberty) - good services, short distance to Yumbo Center.
Hotel very recomendable for gay customers who like lifestyle. But a long distance to the beaches.

Room Tip: Young people up to 50 years will love this place. The pool area is very nice and you will not miss t...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

We are really pleased that you stayed with us during your last visit in Maspalomas. Thank you so much for your great opinion.
We really are near to Jumbo and your opinion about our location it´s very helpful for us, but specially for other Trip Advisor visitors.

Our staff is 24h at your disposal to help you enjoy each option that the island can offer you.

We hope to see you very soon here again with us.

Best Regards,

Reviewed July 7, 2014

I stayed for 5 nights at the Axelbeach Maspalomas from June 25th 2014.

I travelled with a group of friends and we arrived later than we had planned due to a delayed flight - approx 2200. We were all checked in with room keys, wifi codes etc very promptly by the friendly reception staff.

I made my booking directly with Axel, and by doing such, apparently I had superior wifi. However, I do not believe it was any different to the wifi that my friends had, who had not booked direct. The wifi was good when it was working, but the connection dropped frequently.

The pool area is attractive and a pleasant place to sit and soak up the sun. The hot tubs are a fun place to sit and chat with friends. Drinks from the pool bar are a bit expensive at €5 for a beer(even the Neptuno only charges €3.60 and that is four star). Everywhere is spottlessly clean, even the garden areas.

The actual apartment is tastefully decorated in a modern style with grey walls and brightly coloured tiles. The sofa(bed) is covered in a plasticky vinyl which presumably is very easy to clean. The bed was large and comfortable, the air conditioning very efficient, the bathroom was nice with good quality complimentary toiletries and clean towels provided daily. There is a good sized balcony with a table and 3 chairs. The kitchen is equipped with a toaster, coffee maker, microwave, fridge and 2 electric rings. Theres also enough pots, pans & cutlery to satisfy some basic cooking. There is a 'mini bar' in the fridge with very overpriced drinks. Go to the supermarket around the corner instead and pay a fraction of the price!

I really enjoyed my stay at the Axel. It has a great location and is generally a good standard. However, its worth shopping around various websites as some guests had paid a fair bit less than I did and they also got pool view and breakfast included which are extra cost options when you book direct.

Would I stay at the Axel again? Yes, if the price is right.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank James_Clem

Dear Guest,

We appreciate your opinion and your time to give us the opportunity to improve our services. We greatly appreciate the trust you have placed in us and we kindly invite you to check our website for the best prices and offers for your next visit to Axel Beach.

We hope you visit us again soon.

Yours sincerely,

#5 of 19 in San Agustin
NH Imperial Playa
NH Imperial Playa
#4 of 43 in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria

Been to AxelBeach Maspalomas? Share your experiences!