“Nice accommodation for a gay venue”

AxelBeach Maspalomas
Ranked #8 of 134 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Reviewed December 6, 2013

A friend and I stayed here last week of Nov and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The staff were lovely and really welcoming. The apartment was nicely decorated, comfy large beds, multi-channel TV. The apartment was cleaned everyday with new towels provided daily also. We didn't spend any time at the bar or pool but like all other amenities these looked clean and in good condition. After having stayed in many bungalow style accommodation this was much better condition and less expensive. Will I be going back? You bet!

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Paula D
AXELBEACH M, Director de Recepción at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded December 8, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to give us such a wonderfull review.
At Axel Beach Maspalomas we work every day to make your stay a unforgetable experience.
Hope to see you soon again.

There are newer reviews for AxelBeach Maspalomas

Reviewed December 2, 2013 via mobile

Great place to stay, trendy smart accommodation with a proper king size bed (not 2 singles pushed together!)
Pool view more expensive Nd good to look over all the beautiful people, Altho if u want late afternoon sun on balcony, go for city view room.
Central location, so higher room, better view and quieter.
Great sun loungers, music Nd great staff.

Gay hotel that is Hetero friendly... Love it!!!
This place is a gem

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank MarcusT007

Dear Markus,

Many thanks,

Reviewed November 28, 2013

Just spent 5 days at the Axel and couldn't have been happier!! The pool area was large and clean and provided the most of relaxing days. Unlike some gay accommodation I've stayed in the past where the music is normally loud and of a dance orientation, the music around the pool here was very relaxing and non obtrusive. The guests that stayed here were of different ages, nationalities and builds aswell so it never felt clicky either, which was refreshing. The rooms were nicely decorated and sufficient,and the beds were very comfortable - unheard of in a lots of places in GC. We were situated on the 4th floor facing the pool and it was very quiet of a night time, another problem in some apartments and hotels over there from past experience, so this was a bonus. The staff were friendly and efficient and always at hand if you are in need if anything. As for the wifi, it worked everywhere and was quick. It did drop one day but they provided a temporary code until it was fixed. After going to GC for many years now I would DEFINITELY stay at the axel again in the future. The ONLY downside I can potentially see is the pricing. We got ours for £45 a night which was a PERFECT price for the facilities provided - I would have paid slightly more than that for sure, but when some people are paying nearer £100 a night at times, I just don't feel it is deserving of such a price, as much as I enjoyed my stay. The other axels I've stayed in had more attention to detail in the rooms - more of a boutique feel- and deserving of the higher prices. The rooms here have been described by other reviewers as the old liberty rooms with a lock of paint. Whilst I think that is most harsh, I do see what they mean to a point - hence the reason I question the price range . When you consider in GC there are huge 5 star hotels on the seafront with food included,seaviews and rooms of a much higher standard charging around the same money it puts it into perspective. However, that said - if you have the money, and it doesn't bother you paying out to have a gay complex close to the yumbo, with lovely pool area, comfortable beds, gym on the doorstep and lovely bar with food and drink then why not! I shall return without question, but only if I can find a bargain.......

Thank you to all the staff there - we had a lovely stay - and I hope it's a big success for you all.

• Stayed: November 2013
3  Thank pottyscotty

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking your time to write us.

We always try to offer the best service and quality to our guests and we are delighted that you value our efforts, repeat with us and be part of Axel hotels.
I hope to see you soon in AxelBeach Maspalomas.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed November 28, 2013

3 friends and I stayed at the Axel in October 2013 for 2 weeks and it was a great time.
I had previously stayed at the old Liberty so I was looking forward to seeing the changes but my 3 friends were new to the property.

Firstly most of the staff from the Liberty still work there, so if you know Pancho, Carmen, Carmello, Javier, Alex etc then you will know that excellent customer service is always provided day or night, sober or very merry!

Now as us 4 were all arriving and departing at different times we had a complex booking of a room here for 2 for a day then 2 rooms for 12 days etc etc. All reservations were perfect and even though we had made a huge error in the booking the staff sorted it in 10 minutes.

Next the complex, rooms, pool etc. I ask people to remember that this is Playa del Ingles and as far as a 5 storey rectangle concrete hotel block goes they have done an excellent job in making it attractive a pleasing to the eye. But honestly you can only do so much. Those expecting that the full Axel brand boutique experience could be transferred over will be a little dissapointed. However do not be put off, this is a great 3 star (3 and half?) place to stay.

Enough has been written about the rooms and good and bad points but I will say that the cleaning staff did a wonderful job, everything worked and it served us perfectly. Yes some of the kitchen equipment was a little worn and there is limited wardrobe space for a 2 people for 2 weeks (a chest of drawers would be much needed) but on the hole this is nitpicking.

Should you pay extra for pool view as apposed to street view? Well if you do want pool view book in advance and try for 3rd or 4th floor as you get a good view down across Playa. If you are using the apartments for simple a place to sleep then who cares?

Pool food and drink has increased a little in price compared to Liberty days but nothing scary. All drinks and food taken there were of good quality.

Overall I loved the Liberty as it was no nonesense accomodation and was around 60% gay guests, I think Axel have done a great job and if you shop around prices for stays are not that expensive.

We are going back for Pride 2014 (note: it is a little later in May next year)and have the pool view room for 2 weeks at a great price.

So I recommend this place!

Room Tip: High Floors lift you away from pool or road noise. If you want poolside book in advance as better v...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
BORJAJULIA, Director de Recepción at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2013

Dear guest,

We greatly appreciate the confidence you have placed in AxelBEach Maspalomas.
We always try to offer the best service and quality to our guests and we are delighted that you value our efforts.
We will be expecting you next year.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed at this hotel the year before when it was under a different ownership. They have now moved the entrance to the road behind at the back of the hotel which I didn't really see any advantages to. It means if you want a taxi you have to walk around to the old front again. However the gardens are nice and they have added a small sauna, steam room and jacuzzi however the jacuzzi is not heated!! The rooms have had a fresh lick of paint but not much else has changed inside. I was disappointed when I arrived at my room to find it was a double bed not twin bed as requested 6 months earlier when I booked. After a discussion with the manger he said the only twin bed room available was a disabled style room which was slightly different room but still of the same standard. So beware if you do specifically want a twin bed room. The bar beside the pool was nice and they served delicious food for a poolside lunch but they don't seem to have enough staff at the bar and you may have to queue for a while. Oh and the Mojito's are nice! The hotel is a short walk to the Yumbo centre for the bars and a long walk or short taxi ride to the beach. Overall we enjoyed our stay but not completely convinced it's "boutique" enough to justify the price.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Philip L

See you in May.

A thousand thanks!!
Best regards,

Reviewed November 19, 2013

My boyfriend and I have just stayed 15 days at AxelBeach Maspalomas. This was our first stay at Axel and we enjoyed our stay very much. The pool area is great and the bar staff are very friendly and do their best for their guests. The rest of the staff at Axel also do their best to give you a pleasant stay. Cleaning were good and towels were changed every day.The location to Yumbo is great, only 4-5 minutes walk. We enjoyed our stay very much and we have already booked a new stay at AxelBeach in the Gay Pride week in May next year.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Terje1953

We are very glad that you´ve been very comfortable in your time with us!
We really apreciatte you took your time to give us your opinion.
Your opinion is always welcomed to improve our services
Thousand thanks.

Reviewed November 19, 2013

I was looking forward to staying at Axel Beach, having used the apts under its old name LIBERTY, the apartment had been painted grey and all existing furniture, sofa, coffee table, foot stool and dining table recovered in grey vinyl. Excellent NEW bed, very comfortable however in both bedroom and lounge area, there is no bedside table to put your water glass or spectacles, also in lounge the telephone has no table so mine was on the floor for my 7 night stay. The bathroom is unchanged, similarly all the kitchen utensils remain from LIBERTY days, so basic as you would find thro'out self catering. My toaster was rusty and did not work, I contacted Reception and received a replacement over 24 hours later ( 2 mornings with no toast ! ) the REceptionist lady was very apologetic, but POOR SERVICE. pool area ok, again old tables recovered with grey covering, very rusty legs tho....similar balcony furniture old, and 2 of my chairs had all the covering missing on legs showing metal. I felt refurbishment was not worth the increase in room rate. if staying here pay the extra £20 a night for pool view. City view is actually road view, with alot of traffic noise. the entrance in quiet street late at night is DODGEY, if you 've had alot to drink take taxi back from Yumbo, the hotel next doors delivery area is dark and on a corner, i was approached by man asking the time, maybe he wanted my wallet. Staff friendly, pool bar seems to have all new china /glasses etc, shame NOT in the apartment

Room Tip: pay the extra £20 a night for poolside, road side VERY NOISEY with traffic
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank clive f

Dear Customer,

Thank you very much for your opinion and time invested in it. We greatly appreciate the trust you have placed in us. In AxelBeach Maspalomas, we always try to improve our services so that our customers can enjoy the hotel and its facilities we appreciate your opinion and your time to give us the opportunity to improve our services.

Hoping you give us a second chance.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Ingles
#5 of 19 in San Agustin
NH Imperial Playa
NH Imperial Playa
#4 of 43 in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria

Been to AxelBeach Maspalomas? Share your experiences!