“Great option for Plya del Ingles” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of AxelBeach Maspalomas

AxelBeach Maspalomas
Ranked #9 of 135 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Dublin
“Great option for Plya del Ingles”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

The Apartments have been renovated to a very high standard, but if you are expecting the same high end experience as you would at Axel BCN or the former Axel BAires then you might be disappointed. I love it though. The bed was very comfortable, Kitchen more than adequate for a holiday and the bathroom had plenty of hot water. Cleaning staff did an excellent job.

Pool area is lovely with plenty of spaces to catch some sun or just chill out.

All the staff were great, friendly, helpful and chatty. Just like in the other Axel Hotels.

The only negative was the wifi which was constantly cutting out.

I would recommend Axel to a friend and I would go back again.

Room Tip: street side rooms are cheaper and have the sun in the late afternoon or evening.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank AaroninDublin
BORJAJULIA, Director General at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your great opinion and thank you for staying with us!!
We are so happy that you had a good experience with us!
Axel Beach Maspalomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2013

We stayed at Axel Beach after staying previously at Axel Hotel Barcelona. The Barcelona hotel has quite a difference between standard and upgraded rooms (never book a cheap room there!) so we paid extra for a pool view this time. The rooms are the same on both sides of the hotel but the cheaper rooms face the busy main road (less of a problem if you keep your windows closed and use the air-con). We asked for a high floor and the put us on the top which had good views over playa del ingles and you can see the see in the distance.

The hotel opened in May this year. It was previously Liberty Apartments and they have refurbished the rooms to a reasonable standard. Not very posh but comfortable. The bed was king size and very comfortable with a really good, clean mattress. Kitchenette in each room with bare basics. Fridge, 2 hobs, microwave, kettle, coffee maker and toaster. Air conditioning was good and with BBC1, BBC2 and ITV channels on TV.

Outside is the best bit of the hotel we thought - they have done a great job of the gardens, around the pool and bar, with relaxing Ibiza style chill out music playing all day, and they had a DJ on Saturday and Sunday, though I think they have had some bigger pool parties earlier on in the year. Food at the 'sky bar' (which is by the pool, not on the roof!) was good and so was the service. Continental breakfast ok, but if you like full English, definitely not worth 12 euro. Head to Buddies bar in the Yumbo (which is only a 3 minute walk) instead. Would recommend room only as the quality of restaurants around is much better than it used to be and you can order food when it suits anyway.

The staff on reception were really friendly and helpful, which is much better than Axel Barcelona! Thanks for a good holiday Axel Beach we will be back!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor and pay for a pool view if you can afford it. Great views.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Nigelbarra
Dear Guest,
Thank you for considerer us a hotel with class in Playa del Ingles or Maspalomas.
Thank you, also, for staying with us. I am going to share your opinion with all my staff.
Hope to see you soon with us again.
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

It was our first visit in Axel. We've been several times in GC before in some more expensive but as well cheaper hotels. We really hoped this hotel will be our regular place to stay for the next visits. But..let's start with positives:
- When we arrived we've been welcome by nice staff then we've got our room and everything was as we requested (pool side, double bed)
- Nice food (salads etc.)
- Very friendly staff at the pool (especially one girl - sorry don't remember the name)
- Rooms cleaned everyday (great staff)
Now things which disappointed us:
- Wi-Fi terrible (probably worst I ever came across even in GC)
- Plenty of sun beds not in the best condition
- Sauna not too warm (plenty of holes all over the place letting heat goes out)
- Nice SkyBar however every evening almost completely empty (I understand it's close to Yumbo however better promotion whithin hotel will definitely keep more people in)
All of this would be completly fine and we even decided to go back there next year..until all troubles we had in the last day:
- Hotel promoting himself that there is possibility of late check out at 4pm (our flight was in the evening) However when we asked in reception we've been told that hotel is fully booked and unfortunately we need to check out at 12 and the we can stay at the pool and take shower near by (it was Saturday and there was pool party and I can't imagine you are going near by sauna to take a shower and fix yourself going to the airport). Then we asked another staff about late check out and we've got same answer that hotel is fully booked. In the same day (Friday evening) I went online to check availability and I was very surprised to find over 10 free rooms! What I did I booked myself online for one more night (€79) just to stay in the room until 3.30pm! When I spoke with other guys in the hotel I've been told that they've been offered late check out (first hour free / any additional €10). When I asked reception why I wasn't offer something similar and been forced to book one more night again I've heard that hotel was fully booked. It was just ridiculous but I didn't want to argue much as at the end of the day it was my holiday and I wouldn't win anyway.
This situation with addition of other things made our decision to not come back there anymore! Or maybe management of the hotel will try to explain me this situation and try to change my mind. But from my expirience over there looks like no one cares!

• Stayed October 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank ruffjarek
BORJAJULIA, Director General at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your opinion, and thank you for staying with us during your last stay at Gran Canaria.
About your comments, we really want to apologize to you if you had bad experience with us.
Hope you can give us another oportunity.
Best regards,
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 14, 2013

Whilst a regular visitor to Axel hotels (Barcelona, in the suite) and have normally been impressed, I was let down on this visit. I asked for a double bed when I booked, only to find 2 single beds pushed together. Reception were helpful and said we could change the next day, only to call back 10 minutes later to say this was not possible and to ask again the next day. The next day came and still no change. The hotel and rooms are ok though not as nice as Bcn, service (except for the bed situation) is very good with friendly staff. The wifi is terrible (absolutely ridiculous for 2013), cuts out constantly. Tv shows bbc and itv if your interested. Good central location. For the money axel charge, I have an expectation of them, and this time I have been let down. Will probably stay in the Cram in Bcn in future.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Jazzy J
BORJAJULIA, Director General at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this review, October 16, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for your opinion.
We would like to apologize about the Wifi Connection. Also, about the two beds, usually is on request and if its available depending our ocupation.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2013

First time staying at Axel Beach Hotel but certainly not the last. Having stayed in a number of hotels in Maspalomas over the years I can certainly say Axel Beach gets my vote for professional friendly service, lovely clean well equipped but small apartments, great pool area and excellent Sky Bar and restaurant.

Great value for moment in a lovely safe environment. If I were to be critical in any way it would be about the Saturday pool party, which I am sure is a great money spinner for the hotel, were the pool area s taken over but the local heterosexuals changing the whole environment of the hotel and a little uncomfortable for some residences who felt alienated from the pool and sky Bar for the duration of the party.

However, with the exception of the pool party an excellent holiday made all the better by the friendly staff and facilities of the Axel Beach Hotel - I'll definitely stay here again and would be happy to recommend this hotel to others.

Room Tip: Get a pool view room to truly appreciate this hotel and to watch over the pool and the comings and g...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank RSandry
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your great opinión and thank you for staying with us.
About the pool party every pool party it´s different and have a different PPRR, so hope you can enjoy another one you will like it. I am so sorry!
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

This review is a bit late but the Axel Beach Appartments deserve a gr8 review.
We had stayed here when it was Liberty and if you have you will notice a HUGE difference. The Axel company have spent money on the refurb and now has a proper welcoming entrance at the back instead of on the main road.
The grounds have all been put to good use with extra places to sit, lie and chill out.
The reception staff at the hotel were totally amazing and made us feel so welcome and would happily do anything for you that you need. The cleaning staff are top class. Rooms cleaned every day, towels and bedding changed (even dishes done!)
The food at the sky bar at night is amazing and great faule for money (15euros for 3 course meal)
The rooms have been repainted and have flat screen tv's which make a huge difference.
I would and have reccomended Axel to friends! The hotel is adults only and has a very relaxed atmosphere but they also have pool parties with gr8 DJ's.
The mini bar in the room is great help when you want a drink b4 going out or when you get in after a night out.!!

Just want to say a MASSIVE thank you to all the staff here as you are all great and do an amazing job and I look forward to returning!! I have also already emailed the hotel when I got home to thank everyone and got a lovely email back..!!
Again THANK YOU x

Room Tip: I would defo get a pool side room for the view. It's alot quieterat night time but well worth i...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank bobby h
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your great and positive opinión!
I am going to share it with all my staff and we are really happy that you enjoy your last stay in Gran Canaria with us!
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

Have used the liberty apartments for many years. The new Axel is now even better . The staff are all fantastic
With no exceptions. Clean rooms and free wifi ,aircondition working well.
Although I didn't see the point of having drinks in fridge on arrival ,some visitors may welcome it.
I will be back next year .

Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Antony W
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your opinión and for considerer to come back again with us!
We love it!
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,170 reviews
Sol Barbacan Hotel
Sol Barbacan Hotel
#6 of 135 in Playa del Ingles

Been to AxelBeach Maspalomas? Share your experiences!