“Simple, Modern and Clean! Would recommend!”

AxelBeach Maspalomas
Ranked #8 of 134 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Reviewed July 14, 2013

First Impressions - Outside of the hotel/reception area is very simple and contemporary. There is no mistaking that you're at the the right hotel, as the front is complete with a huge banner of hunky men in trunks that are branded "Heterofriendly". It is a small reception area with glass doors, which require your room key to access at night.

Hotel Grounds/Facilities - The hotel has a lovely pool/garden area... The pool is surrounded by very nice and comfortable modern sun loungers, and also "Absolut Vodka" branded day beds. However these always had "reserved" signs on them. There are plenty of nice umbrellas around too to escape the sun if needed. Bose speakers play out a selection of chilled house music throughout the day, however this can get repetitive once you know the playlist, and sometimes a little loud.

There are some shaded areas of garden, with daybeds/gazebos to relax/read if you would rather not lay in the sun too.

The pool bar has friendly staff, who are happy to provide you with a towel for the pool. The drinks are average on price, however the cocktails are on the pricey side at 12€ per drink. We only ate at the pool bar/restaurant once, as the food wasn't great for the price but we chose it for the convenience.

It is mostly a chilled atmosphere around the pool, but can sometimes feel like a modelling audition walking to a lounger with most of the gay guests following your movement! You will also find the majority of the guests using Grindr too... Haha! - On Friday/Saturday/Sunday the pool can be a bit more lively with DJs playing - Not always great, but makes a change from the usual playlist!

The Jacuzzi is very large and a great place to get chatting with other guests, it isn't very warm - but in the hot weather it can be nice just to have the jet power on you! There is also a sauna and steam room next to it, but the steam room seemed to lack any sort of steam!

Hotel Room - We were very pleased with the room. Again, all pretty basic but just what you need. The beds were fairly comfortable, and very large! The air conditioning worked well, sometimes returning to an almost baltic room after a night out. I would say the kitchenette lacked some utensils, but we only used it to make a little breakfast before we headed out.

The bathroom was a good size, with a spacious shower. The water temperature fluctuated between scolding and freezing every time it was used though, which was not great. At first I thought it may have been during "popular shower times" - But later discovered that it was just constant!

We had a road side room, it is a VERY busy and noisy main road. If you want to be able to relax on the balcony in the day time, then do not book a road side room. The only benefit was it was nice to get the evening sun as it was setting, as the pool side is in shade at that point. The rooms have brilliant glazing on the bedroom and living room doors/windows, so sleep was not affected by the traffic noise.

WiFi - Now this is an issue that has been ongoing, we read reviews from previous guests saying how awful it was... and yes. It really was unusable. During our stay, they had a new company fit new WiFi equipment in hope of a better signal/service. But to our disappointment this did not improve the internet service in the hotel. The AxelBeach network would always appear, but as soon as you connect, the WiFi would drop out... having to go through the very frustrating process of having to reconnect again. I can't even say it was just in a particular area that it was bad, because I found that it was unusable in every area of the hotel. This really needs to be addressed!

Snag points - There seems to be a lack of communication between Hotel and Guests at AxelBeach, when they had the new WiFi fitted we were not told about it and just had to enquire at the reception desk once we discovered we couldn't connect. Also, they hosted a fashion pool party which was very busy and noisy on the weekend. It would of been nice to have been notified of these changes/events on a guest notice board or flyer posted under our door. I just felt we had to ask about the "goings on" at the hotel rather than being kept informed.

I was also unhappy about the lack of in-room ironing facilities. I think it's ridiculous that you would have to pay 15€ to hire an iron and ironing board whilst staying at Axel Beach. I've stayed at the most basic hotels before and they've had an iron for you to use, no charge! They are trying to sell the image of a classy "lifestyle" with this hotel/brand, but small details like this ruin it.

Overall - I would definitely return to Axel Beach again with my partner. It is very clean, the staff are friendly and there is a nice atmosphere. It's great to feel comfortable in your surroundings as a gay couple, and there are a nice mixture of nationalities staying at the hotel. Everyone seems very friendly and sociable. The location of the hotel is great for nights out at the Yumbo, less than a 5 minute walk home at night! It's also a great base if you want to escape the partying for a night a get a 5€ taxi ride to Maspalomas for a chilled evening meal.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank TomHZL
BORJAJULIA, Director General at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded July 15, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your great and positive opinion!!
We are very glad to welcome you again..hope soon!
About your comments, I am so sorry if we did not inform you during your stay about the Wiffi connection system it changed and also about the policy or rules about the iron.
Thank you so much!

Reviewed July 12, 2013

Just come back from a week at Axelbeach, which is a beautiful, clean, spaceous and friendly environment.

All the staff I spoke to, even if it was a "Hola", were so friendly and kind. I wish I remembered their names, but three really made my stay special.

I only ate breakfast here and did have dinner on my first night. The breakfast was simple yet filling and the dinner was delicious, especially the salad!

I stayed in a pool view apartment, which was cleaned everyday by friendly cleaning staff, which fresh towels and toiletries provided each morning. It was bliss to be able to wake up, walk onto the balcony and see the stunning view of the Island in the morning.

Yumbo, is only a 5 minute (if that) walk, it is close yet far away enough, and the beach is I would say around 15 minutes walk or 2.70euro taxi to Playa Del Ingles.

I would also visit Mogàn (The Little Venice), which is absolute stunning....

Room Tip: I would choose a pool view, I stayed in room 111, which was just off-center view from the pool. It w...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Matthew T

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your second time with us!!! We´re very happy that you repeat, and the experience still good!
Hope see you soon in a third time!
General Manager.

Reviewed July 9, 2013

Wonderful place with very friendly staff who really could not have done more to ensure I enjoyed my stay. The rooms and the outside pool were lovely. The location; just a five minute walk from the Yumbo centre, was perfect for me and my friends. I would be more than happy to return.

Room Tip: Pool side preferred, for the view and because the sun rises on that side.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jack S
BORJAJULIA, Director General at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded July 10, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for staying with us and thank you for your great opinion!!
We are glad that you were happy!!!

Reviewed July 2, 2013

In early June, I visited this hotel only five weeks after it opened. I had visited the Axel in Berlin and Barcelona. I arrived mid-morning and was surprised that I could check into my room so early. I had a one bedroom apartment complete with balcony seating, sitting area, kitchen, and a large bathroom stocked with Axel's wonderful toiletries complete with a shaving kit and toothbrush set. I changed into a bathing suit and went poolside enjoying the new chaises and the high-tech aluminum umbrellas. Around 1:00 pm, staff came by with skewers of fruit. Mid-afternoon, I was treated to a shot of alcohol. Music poolside was a blend of Euro trance. On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, live DJ's spun great sets of music. My room came with a full "American" breakfast and it was first rate. I made use of the fitness area rather than take a siesta. At night, it was just a short walk to the Yumbo Centre which acts as the hub of social life in the area. Shops, restaurants, and clubs were at my fingertips. It was an excellent, relaxing experience and I can hardly wait to return.

The only negative was a problem with the WiFi. It get cutting in and out. I know that management is aware of the problem and they are working to find a solution. Having been open just a few weeks, this was a minor problem. And maybe the lack of Internet allowed me to focus on relaxing even more.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank MarvinGRyder
BORJAJULIA, Director General at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded July 9, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your great opinion!!
Hope to see you soon at Axel Beach Maspalomas or Axel Hotel Barcelona.
My best regards

Reviewed June 23, 2013

I have stayed n playa del ingles many times and was a regular at los Almendros until standards dropped to ZERO. Staying at a new place is always odd and one can be over critical. First impression was wow. The reception staff was warm welcoming and really knew his stuff. We were given room requests as stated in the booking and offered free Internet connection for all devices. The resort looks immaculately cleaned and fresh with lovely touches such as hurricane lamps and lovely hammocks in the Garden area.
The room was well presented and first impressions good. Excellent air con good sized balcony and big king sized beds.
Clean and tidy bathroom and large shower big enough for two! The tv had a few English tv channels such as BBC 1 bbc2 itv and itv +1 itv 4, always a good thing to have a bit of tv when you can't handle another night out!

Now the downsides....... Internet was terrible, it usually is in the canaries but this was really bad. No sooner would you put the overly long and time consuming code into the log in screen it would drop again. I was unable to work at all during my stay. The hotel tv channels... (I'm not meaning BBC) were fuzzy quite unwatchable and very off putting...
The worst thing was calling down to reception for an iron and ironing board to be told I had to pay a non refundable hire of 15 euros, I'm my experience of staying n hotels all over the world... I've never had to pay for an iron. That needs to be addressed.
Pillows were a little cheap and not enough of them. Over then that it really was a great place to stay. I will be going back again and I'm sure they will have all these things ironed out and I wish them luck.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Moogwoo

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your constructive criticism and sorry for the Wif-fi inconvinience.
We, already change the system and the company and now works very very well.
Hope if you come back, try by yourself and let us know.
Again, so sorry about the Wif-fi Connection.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

Although still on holiday here with 3 days to go a review is well worth writing. A 2 week holiday in Gran Canaria was made all the better by the AxelBeach hotel in Maspalomas, the hotel has been recently refurbished to a high standard, the rooms are spacious and comfortable with everything there to meet your needs. After trying many restaurants etc in the local Yumbo centre nothing beats the food on offer in the hotel restaurant, from simple meals at lunch to full 3 course menu in the evening this is something not to miss. The staff are friendly and always willing to help. The pool area is quiet with bar which is open throughout the day, at no point did we struggle with a sun lounger. If anyone is wanting a relaxing stay in a hotel that is close to both the local shopping centre and beach with excellent accomodation the AxelBeach is the place for it.....first class!

Room Tip: There are options for either pool or street view, don´t worry about traffic noise as the windows sto...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Mrandrew1986
BORJAJULIA, Director General at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for trying our restaurant.
We´re so glad to had you as a guest and we would like that you will stay again with us in the future.

Reviewed June 19, 2013

perfect location for the gay target group (many heteros do not 'get' the heterofriendly and interpret it similar to childfriendly ;-)
very old hotel spiffed up at least cost to match the Axel-spirit but they didn't spend enough to make it stick...
5 parties announced, none really took off - a DJ only showed up late and only 3 of the 5 days
lounge music everywhere (great sound but sometimes a bit too load) but always the same playlist so after 3 days you start to predict the next song... ;-)
large clean rooms, super view, super friendly staff, could be better English speaking but very helpful where possible
the plumbing hasn't been improved so everybody knows that the rooms at pool side have a sewer-smell - the cleaning lady will put something in the drain if you ask, but that shouldn't have been necessary at this class of public & pricing
same goes for the WIFI - everybody's been complaining about it since day one (see other reviews) but nothing really is being done by management "the wifi company will be fired by July 1st" says the manager and "I'm so very sorry"... and where does thàt help in my Holiday experience? some free drinks would have helpt some... I payed 5€/night for wifi that wasn't accesssible for more than 1-3 minutes at a time - then I had to log in again and hope for connection - at one point there were 3 access-points... which kept pushing each other out... which made things even worse... I spent 50€ on a local GPRS SIM to have access in the end and not have this ruin my relaxed Holiday
wifi in a gay hotel is more important than the wonderfully prepared breakfast buffet...

Room Tip: pool side is nicer, quieter (no street noises) but smell problem (which the maid can solve for you b...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JoeldeGraaf
BORJAJULIA, Director General at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your opinion and for share to other travellers.
I am so sorry, as I said about the Wifi, and as I said to you during breakfast, when I asked you how was everything? and you answered, everything it´s perfect. I give you the information for the Wifi as cordial conversation. Anyway, again, sorry.
About the Music, I would like to apologize if you knew every song..so strange because it´s a radio song chill/lounge.
About the pool parties, as I told you or inform you it´s not every weekend and, of course, never exist 5 pool parties ¿?, impossible, I think you got a bad info, or maybe it is a missunderstood. There is no info about 5 pool parties in Axel Beach Maspalomas for sure. Only 3 and during the weekend. We have a different Djs who plays music for animation, but our Pool Parties we always announced in our social media when and, of course what time, also in every Axel Front Desk and send you a letter to your room.
Next one on July 6th, 13th, 27th and 28th. Fashion, Fabolous and last on Chul@s&famos@s pre and post pool party.
Again, I would like to apologize about the music, about the wifi and about the ¿info? Pool Parties. Please hope see you again with us and you can enjoy one of the our famous pool partie and hope you will listen a new music. :-)

Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Ingles
#5 of 19 in San Agustin
NH Imperial Playa
NH Imperial Playa
#4 of 44 in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria

Been to AxelBeach Maspalomas? Share your experiences!