“Very Happy”

Ranked #8 of 134 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Birstall, England, United Kingdom
“Very Happy”
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Wonderful place with very friendly staff who really could not have done more to ensure I enjoyed my stay. The rooms and the outside pool were lovely. The location; just a five minute walk from the Yumbo centre, was perfect for me and my friends. I would be more than happy to return.

Room Tip: Pool side preferred, for the view and because the sun rises on that side.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jack S
BORJAJULIA, Director General at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for staying with us and thank you for your great opinion!!
We are glad that you were happy!!!
Axel Beach Maspalomas

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (265)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
Dundas, Canada
Reviewed July 2, 2013

In early June, I visited this hotel only five weeks after it opened. I had visited the Axel in Berlin and Barcelona. I arrived mid-morning and was surprised that I could check into my room so early. I had a one bedroom apartment complete with balcony seating, sitting area, kitchen, and a large bathroom stocked with Axel's wonderful toiletries complete with a shaving kit and toothbrush set. I changed into a bathing suit and went poolside enjoying the new chaises and the high-tech aluminum umbrellas. Around 1:00 pm, staff came by with skewers of fruit. Mid-afternoon, I was treated to a shot of alcohol. Music poolside was a blend of Euro trance. On Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, live DJ's spun great sets of music. My room came with a full "American" breakfast and it was first rate. I made use of the fitness area rather than take a siesta. At night, it was just a short walk to the Yumbo Centre which acts as the hub of social life in the area. Shops, restaurants, and clubs were at my fingertips. It was an excellent, relaxing experience and I can hardly wait to return.

The only negative was a problem with the WiFi. It get cutting in and out. I know that management is aware of the problem and they are working to find a solution. Having been open just a few weeks, this was a minor problem. And maybe the lack of Internet allowed me to focus on relaxing even more.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank MarvinGRyder
BORJAJULIA, Director General at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this review, July 9, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your great opinion!!
Hope to see you soon at Axel Beach Maspalomas or Axel Hotel Barcelona.
My best regards
Brighton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed n playa del ingles many times and was a regular at los Almendros until standards dropped to ZERO. Staying at a new place is always odd and one can be over critical. First impression was wow. The reception staff was warm welcoming and really knew his stuff. We were given room requests as stated in the booking and offered free Internet connection for all devices. The resort looks immaculately cleaned and fresh with lovely touches such as hurricane lamps and lovely hammocks in the Garden area.
The room was well presented and first impressions good. Excellent air con good sized balcony and big king sized beds.
Clean and tidy bathroom and large shower big enough for two! The tv had a few English tv channels such as BBC 1 bbc2 itv and itv +1 itv 4, always a good thing to have a bit of tv when you can't handle another night out!

Now the downsides....... Internet was terrible, it usually is in the canaries but this was really bad. No sooner would you put the overly long and time consuming code into the log in screen it would drop again. I was unable to work at all during my stay. The hotel tv channels... (I'm not meaning BBC) were fuzzy quite unwatchable and very off putting...
The worst thing was calling down to reception for an iron and ironing board to be told I had to pay a non refundable hire of 15 euros, I'm my experience of staying n hotels all over the world... I've never had to pay for an iron. That needs to be addressed.
Pillows were a little cheap and not enough of them. Over then that it really was a great place to stay. I will be going back again and I'm sure they will have all these things ironed out and I wish them luck.

Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Moogwoo
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your constructive criticism and sorry for the Wif-fi inconvinience.
We, already change the system and the company and now works very very well.
Hope if you come back, try by yourself and let us know.
Again, so sorry about the Wif-fi Connection.
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Although still on holiday here with 3 days to go a review is well worth writing. A 2 week holiday in Gran Canaria was made all the better by the AxelBeach hotel in Maspalomas, the hotel has been recently refurbished to a high standard, the rooms are spacious and comfortable with everything there to meet your needs. After trying many restaurants etc in the local Yumbo centre nothing beats the food on offer in the hotel restaurant, from simple meals at lunch to full 3 course menu in the evening this is something not to miss. The staff are friendly and always willing to help. The pool area is quiet with bar which is open throughout the day, at no point did we struggle with a sun lounger. If anyone is wanting a relaxing stay in a hotel that is close to both the local shopping centre and beach with excellent accomodation the AxelBeach is the place for it.....first class!

Room Tip: There are options for either pool or street view, don´t worry about traffic noise as the windows sto...
2 Thank Mrandrew1986
BORJAJULIA, Director General at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this review, June 20, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for staying with us and thank you for trying our restaurant.
We´re so glad to had you as a guest and we would like that you will stay again with us in the future.
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed June 19, 2013

perfect location for the gay target group (many heteros do not 'get' the heterofriendly and interpret it similar to childfriendly ;-)
very old hotel spiffed up at least cost to match the Axel-spirit but they didn't spend enough to make it stick...
5 parties announced, none really took off - a DJ only showed up late and only 3 of the 5 days
lounge music everywhere (great sound but sometimes a bit too load) but always the same playlist so after 3 days you start to predict the next song... ;-)
large clean rooms, super view, super friendly staff, could be better English speaking but very helpful where possible
the plumbing hasn't been improved so everybody knows that the rooms at pool side have a sewer-smell - the cleaning lady will put something in the drain if you ask, but that shouldn't have been necessary at this class of public & pricing
same goes for the WIFI - everybody's been complaining about it since day one (see other reviews) but nothing really is being done by management "the wifi company will be fired by July 1st" says the manager and "I'm so very sorry"... and where does thàt help in my Holiday experience? some free drinks would have helpt some... I payed 5€/night for wifi that wasn't accesssible for more than 1-3 minutes at a time - then I had to log in again and hope for connection - at one point there were 3 access-points... which kept pushing each other out... which made things even worse... I spent 50€ on a local GPRS SIM to have access in the end and not have this ruin my relaxed Holiday
wifi in a gay hotel is more important than the wonderfully prepared breakfast buffet...

Room Tip: pool side is nicer, quieter (no street noises) but smell problem (which the maid can solve for you b...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank JoeldeGraaf
BORJAJULIA, Director General at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this review, June 27, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your opinion and for share to other travellers.
I am so sorry, as I said about the Wifi, and as I said to you during breakfast, when I asked you how was everything? and you answered, everything it´s perfect. I give you the information for the Wifi as cordial conversation. Anyway, again, sorry.
About the Music, I would like to apologize if you knew every song..so strange because it´s a radio song chill/lounge.
About the pool parties, as I told you or inform you it´s not every weekend and, of course, never exist 5 pool parties ¿?, impossible, I think you got a bad info, or maybe it is a missunderstood. There is no info about 5 pool parties in Axel Beach Maspalomas for sure. Only 3 and during the weekend. We have a different Djs who plays music for animation, but our Pool Parties we always announced in our social media when and, of course what time, also in every Axel Front Desk and send you a letter to your room.
Next one on July 6th, 13th, 27th and 28th. Fashion, Fabolous and last on Chul@s&famos@s pre and post pool party.
Again, I would like to apologize about the music, about the wifi and about the ¿info? Pool Parties. Please hope see you again with us and you can enjoy one of the our famous pool partie and hope you will listen a new music. :-)
Southern Poland, Poland
Reviewed June 17, 2013

The hotel can feel comfortable, good location, great service, in particular, greetings and thanks for Mariola from the pool bar - always smiling, always helpful and doing a great pina colada :)
Rooms spacious, large, exactly like the pictures on the website.
The only caveat is breakfast, which is very weak, a little more variety.
I know that we will return to this hotel.
Great atmosphere thanks to DJ Monique, great music and atmosphere.
Best wishes to all employees so that this hotel is unique, where one feels at ease and well.

1 Thank LuMa6677
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your great opinion and thank you for staying with us.
I inform you that we are improving with our breakfast, food, etc...to know our guest opinions.
Bristol
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I love the Axel Barcelona hotel, and had stayed at the apartments previously when they were the liberty. I was pleasantly surprised with the makeover and would recommend to lgbt community and their friends.

Staff were great as were the amenities. My only slight criticism was the music was too loud during the day (good in the morning/evening) and ditch the DJs....they were awful!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a pool room
3 Thank Nick C
BORJAJULIA, Director General at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive and constructive opinion.
Thank you, also, for staying with us.
I would like to apologize, if you did not like our Dj´s and about the music so loud during our Axel Pool Parties.
Thank you in advance and sorry for the inconvinience about music.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Playa del Ingles
#6 of 134 in Playa del Ingles
Hotel Riu Palace Maspalomas
Hotel Riu Palace Maspalomas
#7 of 134 in Playa del Ingles

Been to AxelBeach Maspalomas? Share your experiences!