“missed chance”

AxelBeach Maspalomas
Ranked #9 of 135 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
Reviewed June 19, 2013

perfect location for the gay target group (many heteros do not 'get' the heterofriendly and interpret it similar to childfriendly ;-)
very old hotel spiffed up at least cost to match the Axel-spirit but they didn't spend enough to make it stick...
5 parties announced, none really took off - a DJ only showed up late and only 3 of the 5 days
lounge music everywhere (great sound but sometimes a bit too load) but always the same playlist so after 3 days you start to predict the next song... ;-)
large clean rooms, super view, super friendly staff, could be better English speaking but very helpful where possible
the plumbing hasn't been improved so everybody knows that the rooms at pool side have a sewer-smell - the cleaning lady will put something in the drain if you ask, but that shouldn't have been necessary at this class of public & pricing
same goes for the WIFI - everybody's been complaining about it since day one (see other reviews) but nothing really is being done by management "the wifi company will be fired by July 1st" says the manager and "I'm so very sorry"... and where does thàt help in my Holiday experience? some free drinks would have helpt some... I payed 5€/night for wifi that wasn't accesssible for more than 1-3 minutes at a time - then I had to log in again and hope for connection - at one point there were 3 access-points... which kept pushing each other out... which made things even worse... I spent 50€ on a local GPRS SIM to have access in the end and not have this ruin my relaxed Holiday
wifi in a gay hotel is more important than the wonderfully prepared breakfast buffet...

Room Tip: pool side is nicer, quieter (no street noises) but smell problem (which the maid can solve for you b...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank JoeldeGraaf
BORJAJULIA, Director General at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded June 27, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your opinion and for share to other travellers.
I am so sorry, as I said about the Wifi, and as I said to you during breakfast, when I asked you how was everything? and you answered, everything it´s perfect. I give you the information for the Wifi as cordial conversation. Anyway, again, sorry.
About the Music, I would like to apologize if you knew every song..so strange because it´s a radio song chill/lounge.
About the pool parties, as I told you or inform you it´s not every weekend and, of course, never exist 5 pool parties ¿?, impossible, I think you got a bad info, or maybe it is a missunderstood. There is no info about 5 pool parties in Axel Beach Maspalomas for sure. Only 3 and during the weekend. We have a different Djs who plays music for animation, but our Pool Parties we always announced in our social media when and, of course what time, also in every Axel Front Desk and send you a letter to your room.
Next one on July 6th, 13th, 27th and 28th. Fashion, Fabolous and last on Chul@s&famos@s pre and post pool party.
Again, I would like to apologize about the music, about the wifi and about the ¿info? Pool Parties. Please hope see you again with us and you can enjoy one of the our famous pool partie and hope you will listen a new music. :-)
Borja Julia

Write a ReviewReviews (1,727)

Reviewed June 17, 2013

The hotel can feel comfortable, good location, great service, in particular, greetings and thanks for Mariola from the pool bar - always smiling, always helpful and doing a great pina colada :)
Rooms spacious, large, exactly like the pictures on the website.
The only caveat is breakfast, which is very weak, a little more variety.
I know that we will return to this hotel.
Great atmosphere thanks to DJ Monique, great music and atmosphere.
Best wishes to all employees so that this hotel is unique, where one feels at ease and well.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank LuMa6677
BORJAJULIA, Director General at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your great opinion and thank you for staying with us.
I inform you that we are improving with our breakfast, food, etc...to know our guest opinions.

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I love the Axel Barcelona hotel, and had stayed at the apartments previously when they were the liberty. I was pleasantly surprised with the makeover and would recommend to lgbt community and their friends.

Staff were great as were the amenities. My only slight criticism was the music was too loud during the day (good in the morning/evening) and ditch the DJs....they were awful!

Room Tip: Pay the extra for a pool room
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Nick C
BORJAJULIA, Director General at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded June 11, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your positive and constructive opinion.
Thank you, also, for staying with us.
I would like to apologize, if you did not like our Dj´s and about the music so loud during our Axel Pool Parties.
Thank you in advance and sorry for the inconvinience about music.
Best regards

Reviewed June 6, 2013

Spent just over a week at Axel. Asked for a pool view room and a high floor - both of which we got. Rooms are basic but newly decorated although the decor is quite dark! The kitchen area still has the sink / hob (and possibly all the other items) from when the apartments used to be Liberty Hotel. Unfortunately the kitchen sink stunk probably from rotting food down the drain from when it was Liberty hotel too - we complained about the foul smell that kept coming up but this was never sorted out. In fact we were pretty surprised when one of the cleaning staff came to the room and implied the smell was due to us not flushing the toilet (she demonstrated by miming how to use a toilet!). Bedroom was functional and comfortable although pillows were pretty useless. Bathroom was a good size but that the only plus point - complained about the bathroom sink leaking - again, not sorted out properly. The shower was weak and either blasted you with scalding hot water, or freezing cold or would just completely stop - no matter what time of day you took a shower. There were also no hooks anywhere in the apartment to hang up jackets or the dressing gowns they provided.....would just have been useful. Also we had specifically asked in advance if they had irons and ironing boards which they confirmed they did have. When we arrived, eventually (after some hassle) got an iron - which was a totally useless travel iron - but were told there were ironing boards. In fact we were told it was impossible to get an ironing board and no one else had ever asked for one (really??). After quite some wrangling, I think hotel management went off and bought an ironing board but things like this should have been available anyway and they should not have argued so much with us that they could not supply these items.
Good sized TV in the room with a good selection of channels - quite intermittent service in that it kept stopping so you got no picture or sounds at all. Wi-Fi was at times next to useless - kept going off , running very slow or would have to keep keying in the password many times.
The pool area was very good - good sunbeds, nice (but chilly) spa tub, good sized pool. There was also a steam room (bit too hot in warm weather!) and a sauna (not working the whole time we were there). Bar staff were friendly although they could never seem to agree on the prices of drinks - constantly battled during our time there as to whether a beer cost €3 or €5!! Poolside food during the day was good but could do with perhaps being a bit more extensive. Would have bought ice creams there too but at €5 for a very small Haagen Dazs pot, we didn't bother!
Some nice touches though when staff brought round free fruit and shots to sunbathers from time to time.
Main problem at the pool - and in fact if you want to get peace and quiet on your balcony or sleep with the windows open - was the never ending and often very loud music. This went on pretty much from 8am until at least midnight, often with afternoon live DJs by the pool. Even in the rooms on your balcony, the music was loud enough to think there was a speaker just above your head. Great - if you want to listen the same music over and over and over again all day but not so good if you want some quiet. Goodness knows what the poor people in the adjacent hotels thought with the music constantly going morning, noon and pretty much all night. When we asked the staff to maybe turn it down (or off) late one night - and there was NO ONE at all outside at the bar who would be listening to it anyway, they said " we will turn it down for 5 minutes and back up again later"!
One final area for improvement are the reception staff - often quite argumentative and not friendly - don't forget, the customer is (usually) right!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank bazandbabs24

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your opinion and thank you for staying with us.
I would like to inform you that Axel Beach Maspalomas, it is not a new Aparthotel, it is a new business managment. Sorry if it´s not everything new.
I remember all your complaints, that you mention in your opinion, and, again, I am so sorry if you did not have a nice stay. Again. I think everything was resoult during your stay and we were very helpfull, but as I said, thank you for your opinion, because it´s very help full,

Reviewed June 4, 2013

OVERALL: nice holiday in a good hotel, but hotel can make some improvements to care even better with its customers

-Location: good, near shopping centres
-Staff: Friendly staff at reception and bar/restaurant (but one guy could improve his customer service, he was very unfriendly and rude to me)
-Wifi: below expectation, no signal in room, weak signal in restaurant and pool area, lost connection many times (got access code only for 24 hrs, even if i booked 10 days)
-Bedroom: very small, bed very soft, pillows 1 cm dick (you cannot make it softer), had no good sleep, but clean
-Living room/Kitchenarea: cheapest furniture, old, kitchen utilities dirty (glasses, dishes...), only 1 spoon, no forks
-Toilet/Shower: water not on a constant temperature, either hot or nearly cold, amenities below standard of a 3 star european hotel (no refill of used)
-TV: no german television ZDF, ARD...
-Gym: very good, but limited opening hours (only until 9 pm!), but sauna closed
-Sky Bar: on the ground floor, high prices, but good service
-Pool: water cold, the whole day you have to listen to techno music, on some days "pseudo" djs tried to entertain you with even louder tunes, but the sound system is not of the quality that it can play this loud music;
there is no quiet area at the pool, for me chill out music ok, but the pseudo dj's music i didn't like
-Massage: overpriced (20% cheaper in near massage centres)
-Target audience of hotel: unclear, glbt?, families (I saw a family with 2 children there), young, older, a clear concept is missing, it seemed that many not-hotel guests occupied the sunbeds on the weekends

Room Tip: rooms on pool side are more expensive, but have the same layout as the rooms on the street side, con...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled solo
BORJAJULIA, Director General at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded June 5, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your constructive opinion.
Thank you so much for staying with us.
For your information I will send your opinion to Axel Hotels Corporation about the prices and others items you mentioned. About the family or child, I am so sorry but I think it´s misunderstood, because I remembered that a Family came and inmeditately we inform them that it´s only adults. It was only for a few minutes, not day or half day or hours.
About the massage, maybe you find others chipest, but I don´t recomend to our guest have massages that you never know who is the person who is going to work with parts of your body. Sometimes chipest is expensive later.
Anyway thank you so much for your opinion and hope to see you again with us.

Reviewed June 3, 2013

I stayed at the "Axel Beach Apartments&Loung Club" during the Maspalomas Gay Pride and I had such an amazing time with my friends. I am very happy we finally decided to stay at Axel, so we found both fun and peace. The hotel is located literally right next to the Yumbo (3 min walking), which is the funniest gay area in town and where the most awesome clubs are. That makes the stay even easier as after partying the way back home can't even be named as "walk of shame". The complex has a beautiful swimming pool, a perfect bar service with excellent drinks and a great area where the hottest guys run and play under the warmest sun.

The place to be if you travel alone, with friends or even in couple.

Room Tip: The rooms that face the swimming pool have such amazing views and a relaxing vibe that comes in thor...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Estefan L

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for your opinion, for us it´s very important.
Hope to see you soon with us

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I have just returned from a week's stay at Axel Beach Apartments having stayed at Liberty Apartments last year. When we booked the accommodation it was still Liberty however became Axel Beach on 1st May. It is also now a gay hotel however describes itself as hetro-friendly. As a straight female sometimes I was literarily the only woman at the complex however at no point did I feel uncomfortable & was treated with friendliness and welcome by all staff & guests. The rooms have been revamped since last year, same layout but tastefully painted grey with modern leatherette furniture/sofa and plasma TV on the wall with lots of English channels. Rooms were cleaned everyday, well, we missed a couple due to late nights but the maids still left us towels. The bar is more expensive than last year but that is reflected in the surroundings, very chic pool, excellent furniture & DJ's playing chilled Ibiza vibe tunes on the weekend. Pancho is still there, and all of the other members of staff were really friendly and nothing was a chore. Free wifi by the pool which was very quick & easy to log in.....which is a good job as 99.999% of residents were using Grindr! Overall excellent stay at Axel Beach and I would recommend this hotel to any gay men, couples or singles and don't be afraid if you are gay buddy's female companion, you'll be made to feel more than welcome!

• Stayed: May 2013
3  Thank JenSky76
BORJAJULIA, Director General at AxelBeach Maspalomas, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for staying with us for the first time. I know that you were a repeat guest in Liberty Hotel in the past . I really want to thank you, to visit us again as Axel Beach and gave us a very nice report and opinion.
We hope to see you soon, again, with us.
Best regards

#24 of 135 in Playa del Ingles
Bohemia Suites & Spa
Bohemia Suites & Spa
#2 of 135 in Playa del Ingles

Been to AxelBeach Maspalomas? Share your experiences!