I cannot speak highly enough about this hotel, it was perfect in every way and exceeded even the luxury level I was expecting. An elegant, classy and stylish 5* venue – truly an oasis of understated luxury, contemporary chic and personal guest service of the highest quality. They have somehow too, also managed to create an ambience that is a magical mix combination of relaxing tranquillity combined with refreshing positive energy.
This was my first visit to the Bohemia Suites & Spa and, although I had seen many beautiful pictures and fantastic reviews online, my expectations were fairly open. Almost instantly however I really did feel like I was staying with friends and within a week was regretting I ever had to leave! Even before I had entered the building the attention of the staff was ensuring a special experience – as my car pulled onto the driveway I was welcomed at the door, greeted by name and offered a welcome drink. Once inside, wide-eyed, open mouthed and repeatedly uttering the word “wow”, I was given a personal tour of all the hotel had to offer (whilst my luggage was magically spirited towards my room).
The junior suite I stayed in was colourful and contemporary and very stylishly appointed. A wall of bi-folding glass doors pulled fully back to let the outside in, allowing me to take in the gorgeous ocean/dune view from the pillow-top bed or head outside to relax on the furnished private balcony. Bliss!! The rooms and suites here come in three colour schemes (designer purple, sunny terracotta or bold yellow) – the purple version is particularly gorgeous. All boast mood lighting, mahogany flooring, olive-wood furnishings and high-end gadgets galore (iMacs, iPod docking stations, surround sound music, flat screen TV’s and complimentary Wi-Fi). Coffee lovers will not be disappointed either and all rooms additionally come with walk-in wardrobes, en-suite facilities and showers featuring rainfall showerheads.
The design, decor and exemplary service extends to all corners of the hotel, from the stunning guest rooms to the tranquil and relaxing garden, pool and “wellness” areas, as well as the two top quality restaurants serving delicious modern cuisine, the pool bar and rooftop late night lounge bar. Some tapas or a poolside cocktail? The fantastic “Saphire” pool bar staff has you covered. Don’t want to leave your room? You will want for nothing there either. Want to eat the highest quality food with wine expert on hand and perfect service? Head upstairs to the rooftop “360°” restaurant...
The rooftop a la carte restaurant, “360°”, is a jewel (one of many to be fair) in the hotel’s crown. Reached either through the hotel or via an outdoor glass lift, it offers panoramic views of the ocean, the beach, the Maspalomas dunes, and the mountains. The restaurant (as is the lounge bar) is also open to the public and I overheard it being referred to by locals as the best restaurant in the area. The focus in this restaurant is on the culinary art of dining and the food and service is simply exquisite (the locals’ comments are therefore not surprising). Along from the restaurant, and also on the rooftop, is the fabulous chill-out lounge bar – the perfect place to enjoy a pre-dinner drink watching the sun go down, or relax late into the night with a coffee or a cocktail.
For further relaxation, there are two saunas, a steam bath and several “wellness” areas available that are free to all guests. For the more fitness-minded there is a hi-tech gym, which has floor to ceiling windows overlooking one of the garden/pool areas and the ocean beyond. If it is full-on relaxation you need though, head down to the spectacular and sophisticated Siam Spa. This Spa is again designed in an understated style and specialises in Thai treatments– I can honestly say I have never felt so relaxed and would thoroughly recommend it!!
Being just a stone’s throw from the beach, the hotel benefits from breathtaking views – you can see the ocean, the beach, the Maspalomas dunes or the stunning mountain backdrop from almost every room, suite or restaurant. Despite the partying reputation of the resort of Playa del Ingles, the surrounding area to the Bohemia feels tranquil as it is mostly residential (the shops and main entertainment in Playa del Ingles are all within walking distance however). If your desire instead is to hang out amongst a fusion of designer shops and high-end bars/classy bistros, the more upscale area of Meloneras is also right next door (as are the golf clubs in Maspalomas) and only a five minute cab ride away.
The multi-lingual hotel front desk offers a full concierge service and is able to help out on all manner of things, whether it is business services you require, a car to hire (valet parking is provided), a private chauffeur booking (again, a service that I can highly recommend), or simply a shopping recommendation or a cab calling.
I understand when designing the hotel (it is a remodelling of an existing building) the vision was to create a high-end product that could be described as “a funky beach boutique hotel with a laidback feel more akin to the cool Californian pool scene of San Diego or LA”. Through their use of innovative high-end contemporary design and decor I would say the owners had gone a long way to achieving that goal – however, it is the addition of the hotel’s staff which makes this hotel unique. From top to bottom the staff at the Bohemia are friendly, knowledgeable and of the highest quality. Both individually and collectively they are truly from the heart the perfect hosts. (On a personal note, thank you – it was a genuine pleasure to meet you all.)
So in summary, the Bohemia Suites & Spa gives: modern but timeless, effortless, casual luxury for people who love stylish and comfortable; a total oasis of service excellence and contemporary chic. Perfect!! (and I’ll be back again soon!)
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Bohemia Suites & Spa, a sophisticated lifestyle oasis for adults surrounded by the volcanic beauty of Gran Canaria, combines luxury with multifunctional surroundings and offers a secluded setting for guests to get pampered in total peace and privacy. By transforming what was once a run-down building into a modern, ocean-front hotel, Bohemia Suites &Spa has created a place where friends can meet, share ideas and belong. At Bohemia's rooftop restaurant, a spacious indoor-outdoor space, guests mingle with one another while soaking up panoramic views of the Atlantic Ocean and the softly undulating dunes of Maspalomas. Lime-infused cocktails are sipped next to huge panoramic windows that open widely, while diverse Mediterranean and Asian flavors are fused flawlessly on the plates of local diners. In the sultry Siam Thai Spa, Mandala-inspired treatment marquees and rooms provide a tranquil setting for original Thai massages by Thai therapists. Meanwhile, fragrant aromatherapy baths of jasmine, mint and lemon let guests revel in complete secluded luxury. Outside, waves and warm breezes provide the perfect conditions for kite surfing and other water sports. Bohemia's 67 rooms and suites are fully integrated living spaces, where balconies and bedrooms merge seamlessly into one. Rich mahogany floors, native olive-wood furnishings and shades of yellow, purple and terracotta harmonize with the natural environment, rooting guests firmly in the heart of this sun-scorched volcanic island. Bohemia Suites & Spa is an adults-only retreat combining sensory spa experiences with a native design concept that allows its guests the freedom to connect with the jagged volcanic landscape of the Canary Islands. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Hotwire, TravelUp, Priceline, Expedia, Cheap Tickets, Cancelon, TripOnline SA, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Bohemia Suites & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Bohemia Suites And Spa
- Bohemia Hotel Playa Del Ingles
- Apolo Hotel Playa Del Ingles
- Bohemia Suites & Spa Playa Del Ingles, Gran Canaria