“Weather??”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Wigan, United Kingdom
“Weather??”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2014

What is the weather like this time of year in playa del ingles? We are due to go to this hotel .. What sort of meals for breakfast , dinner & tea? We have paid & upgraded our room to sea view what are these rooms like ? And is everything close by? Xx

1 Thank Beverleymacker77

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (543)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Bury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 16, 2014

Me and my wife have just got back from the ifa continental hotel in gran canaria. The hotel was in a good position, 5 minutes walk from the beach and shops and the bus station. The food in the restaurant was good with a good selection on the salad bar and plenty of meat choices, all the food was piping hot and there was plenty of places to sit as the restaurant was large. Our room was on the first floor overlooking the bathing area and the room was one that had recently been refurbished and it was excellent. The maids were in every day cleaning and they did a good job. The reception area is large and there is plenty of places to sit and enjoy a drink. There is free wifi but only in the reception area. The outside area around the pool is not very big but we always managed to find a sun bed to get on. All in all this was a good 3 star hotel and we would definitely go back to this hotel in the future.

2 Thank mark t
LopesanHotelGroup, Director de Relaciones Públicas at IFA Continental Hotel, responded to this review, March 23, 2014
Dear guests,

Thank you very much for leaving your review in Tripadvisor and thank you for your nice words.

We are sure that your comment helps other people to know our hotel better and also will help us to continue working with efficiency.

We would like to welcome you back in your next visit to Gran Canaria.

Yours faithfully.

London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 15, 2014

2 of us stayed at this hotel in March.. We was greeted politely enough, documents sorted out without issues.. We was given our room cards and given basic directions.. The room was quite easy to find using an educated guess but there didn't appear to be any signs to point you in the right direction..

The hotel looks wonderful in the reception and when I first see it I thought WOW, I've picked a good on here.. Marble floor which was clean; it looked really good however after the lifts that's where the glamour ends!
The green carpets in places were brown and dirty as they were high traffic areas even so it made me full of dread..
The wooden panelling on the 3rd floor outside the door had been ripped off making it look really tacky..
The rooms are extremely basic.. a TV with NO ENGLISH channels except 1 free one, the other 3 (including Sky news) you have to pay for (3 euro's per day!!!!!!) which we did so we could at least understand at least something as all around the hotel are Germans and other nationalities; very few a far between are the British so be warned! You have to pay a 10 euro deposit for the remote!!

The Food; well it was okay. I am a fussy eater as if I eat chicken I expect it to look and taste like chicken.. I was excited as I see someone had put they served prawns; they did but they were shell on prawns which took me ages to attempt to take it off which I couldn't so I gave up trying to bother as I had people looking and laughing at my attempts lol! The food is basic and repetitive with the afternoon food being turned into something else for the dinner which I suppose is how they don't waste food which is a good thing but not if you've eaten it already only the day before; it go that bad towards the end that I ate out which was a big mistake!! The restaurant near the bus stop overlooking the beach avoid it at all costs. Lasagne looked like it was taken from a dog food tin I kid you not!!

Service: The people working in the establishment work extremely hard and are friendly although some do look moody; then again so would I be if I worked with the public for hours upon end..

The rooms were cleaned to a good standard.. there is no fridge in the room so if you buy water it will be warm!!
There is a bath with a shower; plan Jane amenities - seen better!!

Drinks: Well the alcohol was make like it was going to melt metal it was that strong. The vodka was filled 3/4 in the glass with a small "splash" of coke and it was disgusting! When I asked for a little "vodka" they laughed spoke in their own language and looked over; I didn't care as I was not prepared to even attempt to drink the strong stuff as it would cause serious damage I would imagine! :/
The lady who runs the bar in the evening is extremely hard working and appeared to be the only woman bar woman; she has her bar run the way she wants it run and very well run it was too! (thanks for not making my drinks too strong)

Sun beds: If you want to tan then this hotel is the completely wrong place for you to go unless you want to visit the beach each day! The hotel is mostly in the shade! Every time I did go there, towels were on the sunbeds; after breakfast there were people occupying them...

Pool: No one throughout my stay went in the pool; no idea why!
I will say this, the pool is in need for some SERIOUS TLC; the floor of the big pool had come up leaving a massive hole; the pool is freezing.. I could not find this heated pool; I dipped my toe in all of them and they all were freezing like it was piped from the artic!!! Even the sea was warmer and that was well cold! The whirlpool thing again had several broken tiles which make it look really unappealing with this I didn't enter the pool at all which was a big let down as I was looking forward to a heated pool so I could get used to the coolness and then gone for a swim in the main; never mind!!

For the price I paid I think it was really poor and over the top; I seriously would not spend on this hotel anymore for a week than £300/£350 (at a push) - was not worth it at all!

Sleep: The hotel was right next to a road; if you have the window open and are a light sleeping you will have no hope of sleeping! The beds are rock hard. My single bed was dipped in the middle which made sleeping hard; I didn't complain as I didn't want to be put on the 7th floor, so it could be argued that it wasn't that much of a problem! I was so tired most night I went to bed quickly!
Location; excellent for the beach! Loved going to the sand dunes- amazing.. Hotel is right opposite a bus terminal so good for local connections I'm guessing as I never used the public transport..
I went to the Moonlight cinema which was a good thing; expensive 15 euros per person, drink 4/5 euros each!

As soon as the all inclusive band comes off that's it!! We were told by reception that we could use the drinks facility at the bar near the pool and then at 13:00 use the voucher to have some food for lunch before we departed; I actually was like WOW, that's really really good as it occurred to me there was no where within the hotel where we could get a drink from, as being a hot country it is important to ensure you keep hydrated!!! When at the pool bar getting ourselves a drink, a member off staff came up to me asking if I was "all inclusive". I would say he was quite argumentative but I will refrain and say he assertively asked (demanded)!! :/ I explained that reception had said we would have a drink however he say no and that we cannot take drinks (this was in front of everyone at the side of the pool)!! I was mortified and so embarrassed!!! He went and called the reception; he come back and said no they didn't say that, go and take it up with them! So we left and see the woman who denied she had said it! I didn't argue as lunch was near but I know she said we could use our voucher to access drinks as why would she have even direct us to the pool bar if we couldn't use it! What I suppose made it worse was the bloke in front of everyone saying how we shouldn't be drinking ( I was so thirsty) made me feel, well, like I was a criminal!! That reduced my 3 out of 5 to a 2 out of 5 rating!!!

Grabbing machine! 1 euro PER GO!! - and it's like a typical grabbing machine; it doesn't pick nothing up!!
The animation team tried their best to put on a good show! It's mainly geared towards Germans not British as most of the time they speak everything else but English, sometimes they will throw an English word in; make you loose interest!!! The acts were entertaining for being so "average"

I think this hotel should be a 2* or 2 plus at a push!!.. I think 3 star maybe when their facilities were fresh but it appears they are run down now! Saying that they have a lovely water feature with a bridge going to the gym area/spa which was really nice!!!

Room Tip: Depends on what you want!
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
LopesanHotelGroup, Director de Relaciones Públicas at IFA Continental Hotel, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear customer,

After reading your commentaries thoroughly we would like to apologize for those small details which have caused your holidays not to be as pleasant as they should have and that in some way we have not been able to come up to your expectations.
We always try to solve problems in the fastest possible way even if it is only a small one.
Please be assured that we have taken notice of all your commentaries and opinions, since our aim is to improve our services day after day in order to reach the complete satisfaction of all our customers.

We would be pleased to be able to welcome you again at our hotel, so that you may see in person how we are working to improve and reach service excellence.

Yours sincerely,

Seahouses, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 12, 2014

Sometimes people overlook the fact that the Continental is only a 3 star hotel. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and it was really good value for money. We upgraded to a sea view room on the 6th floor which was very quiet. Plus points, very good food, friendly and obliging staff, cleanliness of all areas excellent and good management. Minus points, uncomfortable beds, worn out towels and the normal complete chaos around the pools regarding the reservation of sun beds, hotel has a no reservation policy, the twenty or thirty people who stampede poolside at 8am when doors open have different idea!!! As we were half board we rarely stayed in the hotel in the evening preferring to go out and about the centre is only a short walk away. The crux of any review is "would we stay at this hotel again" the answer is a definate,YES WE WOULD!! Thank you to all at the continentaL for a great stay.

Room Tip: Higher rooms quieter.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mac G
Dear customer,
Thank you for having left your review in Tripadvisor.

We are very pleased to know that you had a nice stay in our hotel. We will pass your commentaries to all the staff; they help us to keep working with excellence and with efficiency.
We have taken good notice of what you said that we can improve and will let our management know about it.

Thank you for having chosen our IFA Continental Hotel for your holidays. We do hope that we will be able to welcome you again very soon.

Cordially yours,

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2014

Spent a week here AI. Hotel is spotlessly clean, food varied and well cooked and the location is great (2 mins to bus station and beach). The pool area does get busy but the beaches are clean and as it was 24 degrees we were in the sea most days. The AI package is good value and the poolside bar caters for those who don't want to use the restaurant during the day. Entertainment is the usual...but as the loaction is good then there are places to go within a short stroll.
One tip - if you want to visit Mogan then do it by bus and ferry (far cheaper than going with a travel co.).

Thank you to all the staff. Good value all round.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

1 Thank chetun
Dear guests,

On behalf of the management and the entire team of our IFA Continental Hotel we would like to thank you for your generous commentaries and may we assure you that we will pass them on to all the hotel departments which contributed to your holiday enjoyment.

We hope that we may count again on your company for your next holiday.

Best regards and hope to see you soon,

Glasgow, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

Four of us just back from a week at end of March, and no complaints about the amount, quality, or variety of food, and cleanliness of the hotelmetc. But be aware that our beds were VERY firm and the pillows were not comfortable. Three of us found that we did not sleep well,

one other point was that the free internet connection in the reception area is very poor and intermittent. You can, however buy into a better business connection.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
2 Thank HarryandKath
Barrow in Furness, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I visited Gran Canaria on 24th Feb for one week.The hotel was very clean the room was ok for what we needed the food in the Restaurant was very good and the staff all very helpful and the weather was glorious never rained once.The only criticism was there was not a lot of room around the pool to sunbathe,also a nice touch was a bottle of Champagne was left for us in the room to celebrate my wife's birthday.So overall a very pleasant stay.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear guests,

Thank you very much for sending us your commentaries about your stay at our hotel. It’s a pleasure for us to be remembered back because of good experiences. We assure you that our commitment as workers and employees of the IFA Continental Hotel is always determined and strong.

All the members of our staff are being informed about the commentaries our guests transmit us and on behalf of them we would like to thank you for appreciating their work and services.

We hope to be able to welcome you again on the occasion of your next stay on the island of Gran Canaria.

Cordially yours,