“Good Value For Money Hotel”

IFA Buenaventura Hotel
Ranked #30 of 134 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed October 23, 2013

For our first trip to Gran Canaria , we read up on all the reviews we could , this hotel was coming back with quite good reviews, so we thought we would give it a try ; we were not dissapointed , the hotel grounds ,and hotel itself ,and toilets were spotlessly clean, and kept that way all the time we were there by the very hard working cleaning staff, the maids never seemed to stop, and were always available if you needed anything extra in between your room clean: The hotel is very well positioned ,being just a nice leisurely stroll from the beach , or there was a regular free bus that you could take from the hotel; The swimming pools in the hotel were very good , and again ,kept very clean by the staff , Drinks in the bar were very good , with all kinds of spirits readily available , both local, and imported , the measures were , as you expect , large to extra large ; ice was bought -in , and not made from " tap " water ,so was very safe to have , ; The meals in the restaurant were very good ,and you always had a wide choice of cooked meats ,fish , or vegetarian options , with a mountain of salad stuff , you would have to be very hard to please not to find something good to eat there ; all served piping hot ,fresh made ,( never warmed up ) , same with breakfasts , all across the range from continental, to a " full English./.Irish " ...good bacon .!!! , Eating away from the hotel was good as well, lots of cafe' restaurants around the area : Entertainment on site was good , with the animation team offering lots of activities, and various competitions throughout the day, and putting on a show at night, or different acts coming onto site , singers ./. groups etc , all in all ,very good ,: If I had to make any negative comments , they would be , no Air-con in the rooms ( not even an option )and the Wi-Fi is very slow ( but free) or you can pay to use a computer in the reception area , this seems a little bit faster , and if you have a low ./.ground floor room ,your view out from your balcony will be very badly obstructed by the very mature palm trees , you need to be above level 5 to have any kind of view , The hotel overall was very very good , much more plus points than minus ones ,I would not hesitate to book another holiday there again , they catered very well for all kinds of holiday makers ,from young teenagers ,to young families , to people of my age 55+ yrs ,.

Room Tip: Go High !!! , vision is blocked by mature palm trees ,on any level from 5 to below , many lifts ava...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
8  Thank Bob P
LopesanHotelGroup, Manager at IFA Buenaventura Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded October 25, 2013

Dear Lavinia58,

We want to thank you for choosing our Hotel IFA Buenaventura to enjoy your holidays and especially for sharing your experience with other Tripadvisor users.

Always a pleasure for the whole team to receive such positive comments about our work. Your comments will be shared with all staff to help us continue that hospitality for service to our customers.

We we argue that our apartments quite liked them and all have been enjoying the cleanlinnes service, the food and the staff work, we promise you we will pass your comments also to our recectionist Elena.

We hope you come back soon and visit us and have the opportunity to enjoy unforgettable days again among us.

Best regards and thank you very much for your kind comments.

There are newer reviews for IFA Buenaventura Hotel

Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

Just returned back tonight from a weeks stay at this hotel....it was lush. The food was lovely something there for everyone. Animation team fab worked hard all day and until you yourself work long hours like they do and come out with a smile no matter what time of day should keep quiet. Pool area is lovely and no bother to get a sunbed just have to get out your pit. Fab fab stay didn't want to come home

Stayed: October 2013
2  Thank Janey B

Dear Mr. Joney B:

First we want to thank you for choosing our Hotel IFA Buenaventura to enjoy your holidays and especially for sharing your experience with other Tripadvisor users.
Always a pleasure for the whole team to receive such positive comments about our work.In your case that positive comments about our food, animation team and the pool area. Your comments will be shared with all staff to help us continue that hospitality to our customers.

Best regards and thank you very much for your kind comments.

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Myself, friend and our two 16 year old daughters have just returned from a week’s stay at IFA Buenaventura, we arrived at the hotel around 12pm, unfortunately our rooms were not ready but we were given our all-inclusive bands and politely asked to go and get a drink and return in half an hour, we did this but rooms still not ready, after going back and forth a number of times we eventually got our rooms at 3.30pm this is l.5 hours after official check in time so not a good start.

The food in this hotel is by far the worst I have ever had and I am not a fussy eater, if you like chips you will be ok, we have yet to get a hot meal, watch out at the BBQ area the same utensil to turn the sausages is used to add the raw chicken to the grill then used to turn the sausages again.

The animation team are worse than rubbish, all they ever do is mime and dance?

The hotel is very clean this due to the very hardworking maids, the bar staff are ok as are reception staff some can be a little grumpy. We did see a few cockroaches at the hotel but I suppose this is to be expected.

You will have to be up at 8am to get a sun lounger as the towels are in place by then, I find this totally unacceptable. The visitors in this hotel are mainly German & Dutch, very few British.
The location is good 10mins to beach, 5mins to Kasbah centre, the rooms we had were a good size with a good view but the beds are extremely uncomfortable. Rooms 563 & 564. I would not return to this hotel.

Room Tip: Try for a room from 5th floor up.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Aud4119

Dear Aud4119,

After reading your commentaries about the food and the animation thoroughly we would like to apologize for those small details which have caused your holidays not to be as pleasant as they should have and that in some way we have not been able to come up to your expectations.
We always try to solve problems in the fastest possible way even if it is only a small one.
Please be assured that we have taken notice of all your commentaries and opinions, since our aim is to improve our services day after day in order to reach the complete satisfaction of all our customers.

We would be pleased to be able to welcome you again at our hotel, so that you may see in person how we are working to improve and reach service excellence.

Yours sincerely,

Reviewed October 17, 2013

In general, this hotel was good, with a few exceptions. The location and convenience for buses were very good, and the room was spacious with lots of wardrobe and drawer space. One main fault was there was no air conditioning, which meant we had to pay for the use of a fan, which did not do anything much. The lady at reception could not believe we could be too hot, but we actually live in Scotland! We go for the heat. The pool area and surroundings were very good and clean, and had no problems getting a lounger. The restaurant was also clean and well set out, but let down by the quality of the food, especially the hot food. Sometimes the meat was so tough it was inedible, and the vegetables were done to death. The salads and deserts were excellent and the staff were very quick to clear away used dishes, and were very polite at all times. We could have done with a bit more adult entertainment, as all that was on television in every bar was Football. Some of us were not football fans! On the whole we were quite happy and would come back to the hotel again.

Room Tip: High rooms had an excellent view and were quite quiet.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Sadie044

Good morning Sadie044,

All the members of the large IFA Buenaventura family would like to thank you for your commentaries about our hotel. We really like to hear that you enjoy the location, rooms, pool area& Restaurant and also the food.

We are very proud to hear that our hotel is being appreciated for its facilities and services.

We do hope that in the future we may continue counting on your loyalty and be able to welcome you again very soon.

Cordially yours,

Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is the third time my husband and I have visited this hotel in the last 18 months, and this time although the standards of cleanliness, service have not changed by this I mean that they are still high. The public loos which is one thing I always gauge my opinion on both in the hotel and around the poolside remain spotless.
The food selection I could not fault, and you could always find something to eat. Yes some people do moan about the food but have you ever had students and had to come up with a different meal everyday for 30 days if you have you understand that catering for I don't know how many people can't be easy. Try the soups they are simply delicious!
The noise levels had gone up considerably since our last visit and on the two occasions I had called the reception I got no response to my call.
When I went to the reception the following morning I was told it was due to the Italian convention and that they were going on the Wednesday, so I only had one more night of them before they all went home, so nothing more was done. This was day 5 of a 10 day holiday.
The second came not long after and the worst night being two days before we left, and there was a lot of noise from the pool area with people jumping in at 2 am, and then we had to endure youngsters running up and down the corridor. I did go out and ask them to be quiet but only got a lot of verbal. So the following morning our penultimate day I went back to reception to make a further complaint and this time I spoke to a lovely lady called Elena who was very sympathetic and said that if we were not about to go home she would have moved us to another room, but as I told her we would be leaving at 3.30 am the following morning so it was not worth a the hassle.
She promised me that the young people would be spoken to about acceptable behavior.
It did put a damper on the holiday as I seemed to be permanently tired, on saying that we did go a week earlier than last October so maybe I would avoid going before the 15th again.
On saying all this the staff are lovely, friendly and polite, with some great shows from both the animation team and outside acts brought in.
Would I go again, maybe not next year as we have been so many times of late.

Room Tip: Book a room that is not over the Honolulu bar if you want peace and quiet, and make sure you are abo...
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank lavinia58

Dear Lavinia58,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Hotel Ifa Buenaventura. We are very happy to learn that you enjoyed your vacation.

We will pass on your compliments to all of our staff and management, and look forward to your next visit.

Sunny regards,

Reviewed October 15, 2013

We paid £1660 for 2wks which included cases and transfers for the 2 of us during the first 2wks of October 2013. The other recent reviews are quite good so I will not try to repeat them. Our room on the fifth floor facing the childrens pool was quiet. Our late holiday meant that we experienced a fairly "laid back" holiday with little in the way of noise at all!. Also no A/C was not an issue. The staff were cheerful and usually quick enough to serve. We had a problem with our "boarding pass" with Ryanair (really) and they printed one off without any problem and for free. A smile and a "gracias" helps no end.
The food is OK, typical 3*, plenty of it, well cooked and presented but not an "eating experience".
There can be queues for and in the dining room which is partly eased by a system of 3 sessions of 6.30/ 7.30/8.30. Drinks in the dining room are self service for soft and a central bar for alcohol. We found that, for a change the "Rose" was the best. There were stations at which fresh pasta dishes and Paella was prepared with cooks present. We found everything clean to the point of soap dispensers as you entered and the kitchen staff wearing complete hygienic clothes including masks. On occasion there were trays of huge prawns, mussels and whole sides of smoked salmon to select from. This happened for two days when there was an influx of weekenders.
The guests were mainly 50% German and the rest a mix of British, Italians and Dutch. All ages and mixes of couples and groups some quite large were present. There are large groups of men who are there for the Diving school which is in the hotel.
There were plenty of good sunbeds at the poolside and we never found it necessary to reserve one ever during our stay although as usual there were people at dawn putting towels over beds.
The evenings entertainment was sometimes very good indeed and at others dull. The animation team made most of the evenings quite entertaining and we liked them if just for the effort that they put into it.
WiFi and internet can be bought. The fitness centre has to be paid for ( 5E a day or 20E a week)
but is well equipped and decent bikes can be hired here.
The rooms are cleaned v well everyday and the towels changed each day. Linen every 4/5 days.
There are a few insects mainly flies but few mossies and no wasps.
The weather at this time of the year is roughly 28C with some cloudy periods and by the end of our stay was getting a little cool in the evenings.
A few below par 3* niggles were the room towels which were paper thin and shabby. The breakfast coffee was thin and bitter and undrinkable.
Drinks were "Hotel Strength" ( 25%) but no problem to take to our room.
The main thing at thing at the end of your holiday is "Would you go back?" and we would so that's great.

Room Tip: Do not have a room facing the pool if you like peace.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank petepenny

Good morning Petepenny,

It is one of the most important things for all the IFA Buenaventura Hotel’s staff members to receive the opinions of our hotel guests. We do regret that in your case it seems that we have not been able to come up to your expectations and we are really thankful that you have sent us your commentaries about our hotel’s All Inclusive service.

We accept your opinion without discussing it and we would really like to welcome you again at our hotel in order to be able to show you that day after day we are working on our improvement. In any case, if you come back to Gran Canaria again, please do not hesitate to contact me so that I can greet you personally.

Yours cordially,

Reviewed October 15, 2013

Please do not go to this hotel. All staff including animation are rude, unfriendly and unhelpful. I left some running shoes under my sun lounger on the first day of my stay. When I realized I asked at reception, the pool bar man and a guy from animation. No one cared. One of the ladies on reception is especially rude and dismissive.

Hotel is noisy throughout the day and at night. My room was on the quieter side (apparently) and I was kept awake by noisy revellers until 2 am, who were playing drinking games.

No air con in the bedrooms. Bedrooms have weird piped music which is not necessary but don't have air con.

Balconies are not safe. When I was there, they were doing drilling work to add an extra rail to make it safer. Made the pool area noisy and unpleasant to listen to constant drilling.

Be aware of AI. Lots of restrictions on when and where it applies.

I am only on day two and I want to leave already. The missing trainers (which I think have taken hence the title of my post) is the last straw for me.

I urge holiday makers to avoid this hotel. Only by voting with your feet and going elsewhere, will it make me feel better about this place.

If the hotel management would like to contact me about this post, I would be happy to discuss my comments.

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Livingstone238

Dear sir,

First of all, thank you for taking your time to write your comments about the Hotel Ifa Buenaventura We will pass on your comments to our management team. Your opinion is very important to us and we constantly look for ways to better our service.

Please do not hesitate to contact me on your next visit to Gran Canaria, I will be very happy to speak directly with you to hear all your opinions about the hotel.

Best regards,