“Sadie044”

GreenLeadersGold level
Dundee, Scotland, UK
“Sadie044”
Reviewed October 17, 2013

In general, this hotel was good, with a few exceptions. The location and convenience for buses were very good, and the room was spacious with lots of wardrobe and drawer space. One main fault was there was no air conditioning, which meant we had to pay for the use of a fan, which did not do anything much. The lady at reception could not believe we could be too hot, but we actually live in Scotland! We go for the heat. The pool area and surroundings were very good and clean, and had no problems getting a lounger. The restaurant was also clean and well set out, but let down by the quality of the food, especially the hot food. Sometimes the meat was so tough it was inedible, and the vegetables were done to death. The salads and deserts were excellent and the staff were very quick to clear away used dishes, and were very polite at all times. We could have done with a bit more adult entertainment, as all that was on television in every bar was Football. Some of us were not football fans! On the whole we were quite happy and would come back to the hotel again.

Room Tip: High rooms had an excellent view and were quite quiet.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Sadie044
LopesanHotelGroup, Manager at IFA Buenaventura Hotel, responded to this review, October 25, 2013
Good morning Sadie044,

All the members of the large IFA Buenaventura family would like to thank you for your commentaries about our hotel. We really like to hear that you enjoy the location, rooms, pool area& Restaurant and also the food.

We are very proud to hear that our hotel is being appreciated for its facilities and services.

We do hope that in the future we may continue counting on your loyalty and be able to welcome you again very soon.

Cordially yours,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (495)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Plymouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 16, 2013

This is the third time my husband and I have visited this hotel in the last 18 months, and this time although the standards of cleanliness, service have not changed by this I mean that they are still high. The public loos which is one thing I always gauge my opinion on both in the hotel and around the poolside remain spotless.
The food selection I could not fault, and you could always find something to eat. Yes some people do moan about the food but have you ever had students and had to come up with a different meal everyday for 30 days if you have you understand that catering for I don't know how many people can't be easy. Try the soups they are simply delicious!
The noise levels had gone up considerably since our last visit and on the two occasions I had called the reception I got no response to my call.
When I went to the reception the following morning I was told it was due to the Italian convention and that they were going on the Wednesday, so I only had one more night of them before they all went home, so nothing more was done. This was day 5 of a 10 day holiday.
The second came not long after and the worst night being two days before we left, and there was a lot of noise from the pool area with people jumping in at 2 am, and then we had to endure youngsters running up and down the corridor. I did go out and ask them to be quiet but only got a lot of verbal. So the following morning our penultimate day I went back to reception to make a further complaint and this time I spoke to a lovely lady called Elena who was very sympathetic and said that if we were not about to go home she would have moved us to another room, but as I told her we would be leaving at 3.30 am the following morning so it was not worth a the hassle.
She promised me that the young people would be spoken to about acceptable behavior.
It did put a damper on the holiday as I seemed to be permanently tired, on saying that we did go a week earlier than last October so maybe I would avoid going before the 15th again.
On saying all this the staff are lovely, friendly and polite, with some great shows from both the animation team and outside acts brought in.
Would I go again, maybe not next year as we have been so many times of late.

Room Tip: Book a room that is not over the Honolulu bar if you want peace and quiet, and make sure you are abo...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank lavinia58
Dear Lavinia58,

First of all I would like to thank you for taking the time to review your experience at the Hotel Ifa Buenaventura. We are very happy to learn that you enjoyed your vacation.

We will pass on your compliments to all of our staff and management, and look forward to your next visit.

Sunny regards,
uk
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We paid £1660 for 2wks which included cases and transfers for the 2 of us during the first 2wks of October 2013. The other recent reviews are quite good so I will not try to repeat them. Our room on the fifth floor facing the childrens pool was quiet. Our late holiday meant that we experienced a fairly "laid back" holiday with little in the way of noise at all!. Also no A/C was not an issue. The staff were cheerful and usually quick enough to serve. We had a problem with our "boarding pass" with Ryanair (really) and they printed one off without any problem and for free. A smile and a "gracias" helps no end.
The food is OK, typical 3*, plenty of it, well cooked and presented but not an "eating experience".
There can be queues for and in the dining room which is partly eased by a system of 3 sessions of 6.30/ 7.30/8.30. Drinks in the dining room are self service for soft and a central bar for alcohol. We found that, for a change the "Rose" was the best. There were stations at which fresh pasta dishes and Paella was prepared with cooks present. We found everything clean to the point of soap dispensers as you entered and the kitchen staff wearing complete hygienic clothes including masks. On occasion there were trays of huge prawns, mussels and whole sides of smoked salmon to select from. This happened for two days when there was an influx of weekenders.
The guests were mainly 50% German and the rest a mix of British, Italians and Dutch. All ages and mixes of couples and groups some quite large were present. There are large groups of men who are there for the Diving school which is in the hotel.
There were plenty of good sunbeds at the poolside and we never found it necessary to reserve one ever during our stay although as usual there were people at dawn putting towels over beds.
The evenings entertainment was sometimes very good indeed and at others dull. The animation team made most of the evenings quite entertaining and we liked them if just for the effort that they put into it.
WiFi and internet can be bought. The fitness centre has to be paid for ( 5E a day or 20E a week)
but is well equipped and decent bikes can be hired here.
The rooms are cleaned v well everyday and the towels changed each day. Linen every 4/5 days.
There are a few insects mainly flies but few mossies and no wasps.
The weather at this time of the year is roughly 28C with some cloudy periods and by the end of our stay was getting a little cool in the evenings.
A few below par 3* niggles were the room towels which were paper thin and shabby. The breakfast coffee was thin and bitter and undrinkable.
Drinks were "Hotel Strength" ( 25%) but no problem to take to our room.
The main thing at thing at the end of your holiday is "Would you go back?" and we would so that's great.

Room Tip: Do not have a room facing the pool if you like peace.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank petepenny
Good morning Petepenny,

It is one of the most important things for all the IFA Buenaventura Hotel’s staff members to receive the opinions of our hotel guests. We do regret that in your case it seems that we have not been able to come up to your expectations and we are really thankful that you have sent us your commentaries about our hotel’s All Inclusive service.

We accept your opinion without discussing it and we would really like to welcome you again at our hotel in order to be able to show you that day after day we are working on our improvement. In any case, if you come back to Gran Canaria again, please do not hesitate to contact me so that I can greet you personally.

Yours cordially,
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Please do not go to this hotel. All staff including animation are rude, unfriendly and unhelpful. I left some running shoes under my sun lounger on the first day of my stay. When I realized I asked at reception, the pool bar man and a guy from animation. No one cared. One of the ladies on reception is especially rude and dismissive.

Hotel is noisy throughout the day and at night. My room was on the quieter side (apparently) and I was kept awake by noisy revellers until 2 am, who were playing drinking games.

No air con in the bedrooms. Bedrooms have weird piped music which is not necessary but don't have air con.

Balconies are not safe. When I was there, they were doing drilling work to add an extra rail to make it safer. Made the pool area noisy and unpleasant to listen to constant drilling.

Be aware of AI. Lots of restrictions on when and where it applies.

I am only on day two and I want to leave already. The missing trainers (which I think have taken hence the title of my post) is the last straw for me.

I urge holiday makers to avoid this hotel. Only by voting with your feet and going elsewhere, will it make me feel better about this place.

If the hotel management would like to contact me about this post, I would be happy to discuss my comments.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Livingstone238
Dear sir,

First of all, thank you for taking your time to write your comments about the Hotel Ifa Buenaventura We will pass on your comments to our management team. Your opinion is very important to us and we constantly look for ways to better our service.

Please do not hesitate to contact me on your next visit to Gran Canaria, I will be very happy to speak directly with you to hear all your opinions about the hotel.

Best regards,
London
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I had a girlie holiday here from 19-23 September 2013 and enjoyed my stay very much.

The hotel is very clean and the hotel staff were polite and courteous. The pool was lovely and the entertainment staff were brilliant!

I would defo stay here again but here are some pointers:

Get up early and put your towels down if you want a good spot at the pool for sunbathing.
Ask for a room on level 5 and above it you want a nice view, otherwise you'll just be looking at trees! (our room was on level 5).
If you're very particular about your food, you might want to stay room only. There are so many places to eat near the hotel and all relatively cheap.
The evening entertainement is loud and lively, so if you want to chill out in peace, it might be worth asking for a room on the quiter side of the hotel.
There is no A/C in the rooms, neither is there a kettle or iron. You can hire an iron for the week at 12 euros plus a 10 euro deposit. You can also hire a fan (not sure how much this costs).

Maspalomas beach was less than a 10 minute walk away from the hotel. Loads of places to eat here and lots of cool bars too. The loungers on the beach are not free. It cost us 2.50 euros, but that was for as long as you like which was fine.

There are lots of clubs/bars within walking distance. All were free to get into but the drinks were quite pricey! The best clubs were MTV Club and Pacha.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank KikiB1978
LopesanHotelGroup, Manager at IFA Buenaventura Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Sarah,

In the name of the management and all our staff members we would like to thank you for having chosen the Hotel IFA Buenaventura for your recent vacations in Gran Canaria.

We highly appreciate all the words you used to describe your stay with us. Specially your comments about the pool, the cleanness, staff and entertainment

We can assure you that we will communicate all your nice comments to all the relevant departments,

We hope that you will give us the chance to welcome you back to our grounds in the near future.

Until then we wish you all the best and remain at your full disposal.

Sunny regards from Gran Canaria and all the Hotel IFA Buenaventura Team!!!
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed at the Buenaventura from 12th-19th September 2013. This being my 4th trip there I knew what to expect, or so I thought! Unbeknowing to me, between my last stay there in 2010 and this trip the hotel has added an all inclusive option (previously it was b&b or half board only) and for me this has changed things somewhat.
The hotel itself is a decent 3 star (with aspirations to become a 4 star but no hope of that unless they install air con in every room instead of having fans available at a premium) with many great features such as 2 great pools, a beach volleyball court, football pitch and tennis courts plus decent sized rooms. The big bonus for me is the animation team who lay on various events during the daytime (cocktail games, shuffleboard, tabletennis, darts, beach volleyball, water volleyball, water polo, yoga and aquagym being just some of these) and also provide the evening entertainment about 3 nights of the week (with so called "professional" acts laying on the entertainment on the other nights although most of these have a nerve calling themselves professionals, like the beatles tribute band who sang over a backing tape of the real beatles which was actually louder than their singing!).
The rooms themselves are a great size, cleaned regularly and most have large, well maintained balconies. I don't use the television but a lot of people were complaining about the lack of english speaking channels (apparently if you pay more you get access to more channels but only 3 of these are english speaking).
The location too is excellent, being a few minutes walk for the Kasbah centre and about 10 minutes from a nice stretch of beach.
The biggest gripe I have always had with the Buenaventura is with the customer service side of things. Most of the waiters at the bars are at best moody, with slow service and a poor attitude. Tipping them frequently generally helps matters a little but not that much. The reception staff are often argumentative and unhelpful too, but as i say, this was not a new experience.

Finally I want to get back to the all-inclusive aspect of things. The Buenaventura is a big hotel with something like 800 rooms. Now that it is all inclusive, 2 pools are just not enough because whereas when it was half board people used to go out for the day but now they never leave the hotel because everything is paid for. This follows through to the evening where, in the old days it was never a problem getting a table for the entertainment but now you have to get there an hour early to have a chance of getting a good table.
The big problem for me is noise. Once again I believe this is due to the all-inclusive element. In the old days people would watch the entertainment then head straight into town. Now, however, people were generally ordering as many drinks as possible before the 11pm cut-off and then, due to being inebriated, tended to hang around the bars until 1 in the morning. For me, this meant that getting to sleep before 1 am was a big issue and even then i was constantly woken up.

Despite how it may sound I am extremely fond of this hotel (perhaps that's why I'm being so critical of what it seems to be becoming?), I have had some fantastic holidays and have racked up some great memories and made some lasting friendships here over the years and yes, i will return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the banana pool side, its much quieter, both day and night.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank scottymac75
Dear Scottymac75,

Thank you very much for having chosen the IFA Buenaventura Hotel for your holidays and for the time you have taken to inform us about your opinion. After reading your commentaries we would like to say that we really feel sorry for not having fulfilled your expectations. Specially about the Tv-channels, the Bar and receptios staff and the noise.

We are working day by day to be able to offer our guests the best service quality and efficiency, so that they may enjoy pleasant and unforgettable holidays.

It would be a pleasure for us if you decided to trust in our hotel again and to come back and visit us in the future so that you can see yourself that our services have improved and that satisfaction is guaranteed.Do not doubt to contact me the next time to keep you a good room in the quiet area.

Thank you again for sending us your opinion.

Yours sincerely,
gotogetaway
Reviewed October 1, 2013

arrived at hotel 7 30 pm nice fellow on reception very friendly told us were our room was as it was a large hotel he said if we did not like it come down and will change it got to our room it was nice and clean no air con very hot at night time so had to keep balcony door open not so good when drunk people are jumping into swimming pool at 3 in the morning.lots of trees round hotel sum rooms would not get the sun food there was always something to choose from we where on half board getting the lifts up and down no problem Kasbah and yumbo center a few minute walk so was the beach lots of bars at the irish center closed.

Room Tip: rooms at the main road would be a lot quieter
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travelenjoylife
LopesanHotelGroup, Manager at IFA Buenaventura Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Good morning,

Thank you very much for sending us your commentaries about your stay at our hotel. It’s a pleasure for us to be remembered back because of good experiences. We assure you that our commitment as workers and employees of the IFA Buenaventura Hotel is always determined and strong.

All the members of our staff are being informed about the commentaries our guests transmit us and on behalf of them we would like to thank you for appreciating their work and services.

We hope to be able to welcome you again on the occasion of your next stay on the island of Gran Canaria.

Cordially yours,