“You get what you pay for!”

IFA Buenaventura Hotel
Ranked #29 of 134 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
GreenLeadersGold level
London
“You get what you pay for!”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

I had a girlie holiday here from 19-23 September 2013 and enjoyed my stay very much.

The hotel is very clean and the hotel staff were polite and courteous. The pool was lovely and the entertainment staff were brilliant!

I would defo stay here again but here are some pointers:

Get up early and put your towels down if you want a good spot at the pool for sunbathing.
Ask for a room on level 5 and above it you want a nice view, otherwise you'll just be looking at trees! (our room was on level 5).
If you're very particular about your food, you might want to stay room only. There are so many places to eat near the hotel and all relatively cheap.
The evening entertainement is loud and lively, so if you want to chill out in peace, it might be worth asking for a room on the quiter side of the hotel.
There is no A/C in the rooms, neither is there a kettle or iron. You can hire an iron for the week at 12 euros plus a 10 euro deposit. You can also hire a fan (not sure how much this costs).

Maspalomas beach was less than a 10 minute walk away from the hotel. Loads of places to eat here and lots of cool bars too. The loungers on the beach are not free. It cost us 2.50 euros, but that was for as long as you like which was fine.

There are lots of clubs/bars within walking distance. All were free to get into but the drinks were quite pricey! The best clubs were MTV Club and Pacha.

2 Thank KikiB1978
LopesanHotelGroup, Manager at IFA Buenaventura Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2013
Dear Sarah,

In the name of the management and all our staff members we would like to thank you for having chosen the Hotel IFA Buenaventura for your recent vacations in Gran Canaria.

We highly appreciate all the words you used to describe your stay with us. Specially your comments about the pool, the cleanness, staff and entertainment

We can assure you that we will communicate all your nice comments to all the relevant departments,

We hope that you will give us the chance to welcome you back to our grounds in the near future.

Until then we wish you all the best and remain at your full disposal.

Sunny regards from Gran Canaria and all the Hotel IFA Buenaventura Team!!!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (480)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 7, 2013

I stayed at the Buenaventura from 12th-19th September 2013. This being my 4th trip there I knew what to expect, or so I thought! Unbeknowing to me, between my last stay there in 2010 and this trip the hotel has added an all inclusive option (previously it was b&b or half board only) and for me this has changed things somewhat.
The hotel itself is a decent 3 star (with aspirations to become a 4 star but no hope of that unless they install air con in every room instead of having fans available at a premium) with many great features such as 2 great pools, a beach volleyball court, football pitch and tennis courts plus decent sized rooms. The big bonus for me is the animation team who lay on various events during the daytime (cocktail games, shuffleboard, tabletennis, darts, beach volleyball, water volleyball, water polo, yoga and aquagym being just some of these) and also provide the evening entertainment about 3 nights of the week (with so called "professional" acts laying on the entertainment on the other nights although most of these have a nerve calling themselves professionals, like the beatles tribute band who sang over a backing tape of the real beatles which was actually louder than their singing!).
The rooms themselves are a great size, cleaned regularly and most have large, well maintained balconies. I don't use the television but a lot of people were complaining about the lack of english speaking channels (apparently if you pay more you get access to more channels but only 3 of these are english speaking).
The location too is excellent, being a few minutes walk for the Kasbah centre and about 10 minutes from a nice stretch of beach.
The biggest gripe I have always had with the Buenaventura is with the customer service side of things. Most of the waiters at the bars are at best moody, with slow service and a poor attitude. Tipping them frequently generally helps matters a little but not that much. The reception staff are often argumentative and unhelpful too, but as i say, this was not a new experience.

Finally I want to get back to the all-inclusive aspect of things. The Buenaventura is a big hotel with something like 800 rooms. Now that it is all inclusive, 2 pools are just not enough because whereas when it was half board people used to go out for the day but now they never leave the hotel because everything is paid for. This follows through to the evening where, in the old days it was never a problem getting a table for the entertainment but now you have to get there an hour early to have a chance of getting a good table.
The big problem for me is noise. Once again I believe this is due to the all-inclusive element. In the old days people would watch the entertainment then head straight into town. Now, however, people were generally ordering as many drinks as possible before the 11pm cut-off and then, due to being inebriated, tended to hang around the bars until 1 in the morning. For me, this meant that getting to sleep before 1 am was a big issue and even then i was constantly woken up.

Despite how it may sound I am extremely fond of this hotel (perhaps that's why I'm being so critical of what it seems to be becoming?), I have had some fantastic holidays and have racked up some great memories and made some lasting friendships here over the years and yes, i will return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the banana pool side, its much quieter, both day and night.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank scottymac75
Dear Scottymac75,

Thank you very much for having chosen the IFA Buenaventura Hotel for your holidays and for the time you have taken to inform us about your opinion. After reading your commentaries we would like to say that we really feel sorry for not having fulfilled your expectations. Specially about the Tv-channels, the Bar and receptios staff and the noise.

We are working day by day to be able to offer our guests the best service quality and efficiency, so that they may enjoy pleasant and unforgettable holidays.

It would be a pleasure for us if you decided to trust in our hotel again and to come back and visit us in the future so that you can see yourself that our services have improved and that satisfaction is guaranteed.Do not doubt to contact me the next time to keep you a good room in the quiet area.

Thank you again for sending us your opinion.

Yours sincerely,
gotogetaway
Reviewed October 1, 2013

arrived at hotel 7 30 pm nice fellow on reception very friendly told us were our room was as it was a large hotel he said if we did not like it come down and will change it got to our room it was nice and clean no air con very hot at night time so had to keep balcony door open not so good when drunk people are jumping into swimming pool at 3 in the morning.lots of trees round hotel sum rooms would not get the sun food there was always something to choose from we where on half board getting the lifts up and down no problem Kasbah and yumbo center a few minute walk so was the beach lots of bars at the irish center closed.

Room Tip: rooms at the main road would be a lot quieter
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank travelenjoylife
LopesanHotelGroup, Manager at IFA Buenaventura Hotel, responded to this review, October 10, 2013
Good morning,

Thank you very much for sending us your commentaries about your stay at our hotel. It’s a pleasure for us to be remembered back because of good experiences. We assure you that our commitment as workers and employees of the IFA Buenaventura Hotel is always determined and strong.

All the members of our staff are being informed about the commentaries our guests transmit us and on behalf of them we would like to thank you for appreciating their work and services.

We hope to be able to welcome you again on the occasion of your next stay on the island of Gran Canaria.

Cordially yours,
Devon
Reviewed September 28, 2013

We were a party of 5 that stayed between 8th-18th of September.

The location of this hotel is perfect - short walk to the Irish centre and kasbah and the beach and only a 5 minute taxi away from the Yumbo centre.
Check in was friendly and efficient!
Rooms are a very good size, plenty of room and wardrobe/cupboard space for three girls sharing a room. We had two single beds and a pull out double bed (very comfortable). Maids were really good and beds were made - rooms tidied and new towels daily!
The only downside to the room is the lack of aircon! It's unbearably hot! even with the fan which we rented at an additional cost of 25euros for 8nights. Also there was no ashtray on the table of the balcony which was an inconvenience. The balcony rails are very low - so be exceptionally careful especially if you've had a few drinks/have children who may wander outside!
The shower was great - nice and powerful and hot. Ladies - take a travel drier because the only provided is not great at all.

Drinks - I was quite impressed with the drinks. For what we paid I can't complain! Vodka, gin, beer, Malibu, sangria, even a few cocktails are all available on the all inclusive. The rosé wine wasn't bad at all! Much better than I was expecting!

Food - extremely repetitive and not amazing but for a hotel of that size and for the price, I think it was good. Breakfast - plenty of fresh fruit, beans, sausages, bacon, eggs, cold meats, cheese, fresh breads and pastries available. Again with the lack of aircon, it's so hot in the restaurant we always opted to eat outside, if you chose to do that be prepared to have to wait for a table as there's limited seating outside.
Lunch was plentiful, always fish/chicken/pork - rice,chips, salad, cold meats! You certainly won't go hungry but you may get bored of the same!

Tip: Mulligans Irish bar (walk out of reception and turn left and walk for 4 minutes) serve an amazing cooked breakfast for 5 euros! Including a coffee and an orange juice.

Snacks were ok during the day, croissants, cheese, chorizo/salami available most days after lunch had finished.

What I'd recommend to this hotel is providing bottled water - once the all inclusive ends at 11pm and after the bars close - there is nowhere to get a drink other than the water cooler (sometimes the bottles would be empty). They have a vending machine situated by the lifts to purchase bottled drinks but apart from that there's is nothing. Not nice, especially in a room with no aircon when it's 35c+.

The pool area is clean, the main pool is plenty big enough and there are plenty of sun loungers (although you will need to wake up at the crack of dawn if you want a good spot)!
There is a lifeguard on duty.

The animation staff work tirelessly and are an asset to the hotel! They will always include you and ask you to join in their cocktail games or water gym! they aren't pushy though - if you say no thank you they don't harass you! Water gym was brilliant (the young lady from the Czech Republic was fantastic)! and the cocktail games were fun! I'm amazed at how many languages they can speak so fluently.

The staff are what make this hotel - they are all exceptional! Really friendly, happy and helpful!

I'd give this hotel a 3 out 5!
With air conditioning, fridges in rooms, a lick of paint, and water available 24/7 - my rating would be 5.

Thanks for a pleasant stay!

• Stayed September 2013
1 Thank sparkielou
Dear Sparkielou,

After reading your commentaries thoroughly we would like to apologize for those small details which have caused your holidays not to be as pleasant as they should have and that in some way we have not been able to come up to your expectations.I mean food, service..
We always try to solve problems in the fastest possible way even if it is only a small one.
Please be assured that we have taken notice of all your commentaries and opinions, since our aim is to improve our services day after day in order to reach the complete satisfaction of all our customers.

We would be pleased to be able to welcome you again at our hotel, so that you may see in person how we are working to improve and reach service excellence.

Yours sincerely,
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2013

I've just come from a 7 nights stay and was slightly disappointed with some aspects of it. On first impressions it seemed like a reasonably nice three star hotel but as we settled into our room the faults became apparent. firstly It was incredibly hot with no air conditioning.
The other major issue was the shower, the first time I used it I faced a small flood when I came out which soaked my suitcase and even went out into the carpet of the hotel corridor! I reported this to reception who sent a maintenance man to have a look. we were told that this happened due to a fault with the design of the bath causing water to over spill and given extra towels to help control this. We learnt ways to minimise the overspill but it meant no long luxurious showers!
On a more positive note the bed was comfy and the room was spacious enough for two girls who don't travel light! I was impressed with the well located, well-lit mirrors (I often have an issue with mirrors even in the best hotels!).
Hotel staff were friendly and very good at dealing with the large group of mixed age groups I was with. The hotel facilities seemed nice enough but I did not use them much as I was keen to explore the area which is lively with plenty of bars, restaurants, shops and a beach. Due to the shower problems and lack of air conditioning I would not return to this hotel, however if they were to fix these problems I would be happy to return due to the great staff and location.

2 Thank simmyb85
LopesanHotelGroup, General Manager at IFA Buenaventura Hotel, responded to this review, October 9, 2013
Dear Ms Simmyb85,

From the IFA Buenaventura Hotel we would like to let you know that we appreciate and thank you very much for taking the time to transmit us your opinion.
We have taken good notice of your commentaries which help us a lot to be able to continue with our commitment of offering a service of quality and efficiency. We can assure you that thanks to your opinion we have taken the appropriate measures to reduce to a minimum the incidences, as far as it is possible.
We do regret that you did not feel satisfied with our personnel’s attention towards you; an aspect which usually is one of the attributes most appreciated by our guests.

I would like to have the opportunity to greet you personally on the occasion of your next stay on the island, because it’s my intention to present my apologies to you in person, since apparently during your last stay we could not come up to your expectations. I would also like to show you the improvements we have achieved.

Yours cordially,
Peterborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 24, 2013

To a point everything which everyone has said on here is true. The hotel is full of Germans but it is a very German orientated resort. There is no air con in the rooms but you can hire a fan (careful if you hire from the little shop in the basement as they have nothing to do with hotel). The food is a little samey - the hotel caters to a minimum of 1600 people of course its going to appear the same - it is exactly the same as all All Inclusive hotels in this respect - pork, chicken and beef in a sauce with some veg etc.

There is nothing that is 'wrong' with the hotel which it can do anything about. It could do more to control some situations i.e. the Germans not being able to queue for food or drink etc but the lack of manners of a particular group of people is not the hotels fault. The hotel does need a facelift but that is part of the reason it is a 3 star hotel - you do get what you pay for.

I cannot fault the hotel staff from check in to check out they did everything they could for us. We had clean towels every day, a 'free' upgrade to a higher quieter room and all the staff were extremely friendly. One good thing is that every name badge has the flags representing languages the individual speaks so if you get a blank look from someone check their chest and move on to someone with a UK flag on it.

There is a lot going on around the main pool during the day and night so if you do like peace and quiet request a room away from this area.

Out and about I would recommend searching for the Dolphins from Puerto Rico, the Submarine trip in Puerto Mogan and the Music Hall Tavern.

If your going with Thomas Cook - don't expect too much from their rep Hannah - not only does she not appear to care about her guests she very much gives the impression she doesn't want to be there.

Overall we had a good week - big tip - find some English people and hang on to them :)

Room Tip: Request Top Floor and don't let them charge you for it and request the back rooms if you want it...
2 Thank PBOSG
LopesanHotelGroup, Manager at IFA Buenaventura Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013
- Dear PBOSG,

Thank you for feedback published on Tripadvisor.

We are very sorry to read that our cleaning service did not meet entirely your expectations and wish to tell you that we will keep in mind your comment.

We would be more than happy to have another possibility to convince you of our 3 star services,

With our best regards from the hotel.
Wirral, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2013

This was to be our eighth visit to this large three star hotel so we had no unreal expectations of it and looked forward to a relaxed 9 day stay after a very stressful time in our lives.

The booking agent invited us to make any personal requests albeit there was no guarantee they would be met. We also followed this up with an e-mail directly to the hotel which was responded to in a positive way.

Because of our history with the hotel we knew which rooms offered us maximum peace and quiet in what can be a large noisy hotel and gave our request for this section of the hotel including a group of room numbers.

Through Trip Advisor reviews we knew that the hotel makes extra charges for rooms on higher floors and we had agreed to pay this supplement to get the room type of our choice.

On checking in we were initially given a room on the third floor albeit in the area of the hotel we had requested, we declined this and requested a higher floor.

We took our bags to the room and was disappointed to find it was situated in a corner between two wings of the building and was totally overlooked by lots of rooms on higher floors.

The following morning we presented ourselves at reception and requested a change of room.we were told we were being given somebody else's room and this was the only room available. We had to wait until mid afternoon before we could access the room. It was a Sunday and we were pleased with having this room in what we knew to be a quiet area.

At 8-30AM the next morning we were rudely awakened by the noise of heavy building traffic, hydraulic drills, hammering and general building site noises. This went on until 6-30.

The noise was from the neighbouring hotel which is closed for a total refurbishment.

Despite us making it very clear that we needed the peace and tranquility of this section of the hotel nobody considered telling us about the noise.

We had wasted a day already waiting for the first room change and decided not to disrupt the holiday further so we did not make an official complaint until the end of the holiday.

The very pleasant lady who took our complaint seriously offered us a free upgrade next time we book at the hotel. We will not be using this hotel again and warn other visitors to check out the position of their room and avoid the side rooms overlooking the Gran Canary Princess hotel.

Room Tip: If you want sleep avoid rooms over the main pool and the side facing the Gran Canaria Princess.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Scousegrannie
. Dear Scousegrannie:

Thank you very much for taking your precious time to write a review after your stay at our Hotel,. We would like to thank you for your comments about the room that you got during your holidays.
We have 974 rooms which are situated in different areas, we always try to accomplish the wishes of all our guest and we really sorry if you do not receive the room that you spected.
We really hope that you visit us again in the future and i would personality like to receive you to accomodate you in the room that you prefer.

We send you warmest regards from Gran Canaria