“Wouldn't hesitate to go back! Definately worth more than 3*”

IFA Buenaventura Hotel
Ranked #30 of 134 Hotels in Playa del Ingles
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed July 12, 2011

So, i was rather hesitant after reading some of the reviews on here, but i thought i'd go for it as i got a pretty good deal, especially for early July.
Have to say there was nothing to worry about! We arrived at the hotel around 1pm, our room wasn't ready but the receptionist was very helpful and polite and allowed us to leave our luggage in the hold room and gave us our all inclusive bands so we could get some food while we waited an hour. The rooms are spotless, can't fault them. I was a bit worried about the prospect of having no air conditioning, but i didn't notice the lack of it at all! The hotel always had plenty to do, my boyfriend and I went to the busier of the two pools, the only downside was having to get up pretty early to get a sun lounger, but thats expected at basically every hotel! Even the gardens and pool area were spotless. The food was lovely, and i am a pretty fussy eater but i always found something! We didn't really explore the area that much, but there are quite a few bars and restaurants, however they were very expensive (6 euros for a bottle of smirnoff ice) and so we mainly stayed in the hotel. The beach is around a 10-15 minute walk, but there is also a shuttle bus to take you there too. I do agree that the hotel is dominated by germans mostly, but that didn't affect our stay!
All in all i would definately go back. The hotel is probably the best i have stayed in, however the area surrounding wasn't as 'buzzing' as i thought it would be, especially as the hotel is located in the main nightlife centre, but no doubt if you explored a bit further you'd find something more! The hotel is suitable for basically anyone, so don't hesitate and book it!

Room Tip: The hotel entertainment goes on quite late into the night, so i wouldn't recommend getting a bal...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Lhg2291

Reviewed July 3, 2011

Just got back from a week here with my boyfriend and overall we were quite pleased with our stay. I thought I'd share our experience, particularly regarding the food on All Inclusive, as that was what I was most worried about before we went. We don't eat meat, and I usually eat more exciting food than just pasta, chips etc. Neither of us have been on an All Inclusive holiday before, but we booked it because it was only about £20 each more than bed and breakfast. That was a good decision considering how cheap it was, although we still ended up going out for a few meals as we were so bored of the food available on the buffet.

The selection available did not vary much over the week, and I ended up eating a lot of salad and pasta, and enjoyed the amusement of eating Brussels sprouts in June- I assume this is a normal thing to eat throughout the year in Gran Canaria (or, more likely, Germany). There isn't really anything as a vegetarian option such as veggie burger, which is not surprising, but I didn't mind eating vegetables most of the time. Everything tasted alright, but not amazing.

On to the melons...I have never seen so many melons in my life- I think they must have a melon farm hidden somewhere in the gardens, as about a quarter of each buffet (breakfast, lunch and dinner) is a selection of different types of melon. It's a melon lover's dream, but I find it a particularly bland fruit and would prefer if they mixed it up a bit with some fresh mango or pineapple. Maybe gorging on melons is also a normal habit in the Canary Islands, but they do seem to dominate the selection available.

Elsewhere on desserts, the ice-cream tasted OK but was obviously very low quality- practically liquid and the banana flavour tasted a bit like that medicine I used to get as a child but more concentrated in artificial flavour. That may a desirable taste to some but I wouldn't want to spend too long in the company of any kids who've made the most of the unlimited ice-cream.

Breakfast includes standard stuff- mounds of croissants, cereal, yoghurts, fried stuff, churros a few times (tasty), plus cheese and meaty stuff and even more melon! I tried to ignore the juxtaposition of ham and tinned fruit. Maybe if the melon did not command its own table, they could space the trays out better. Try the German chocolate spread on churros- lovely!

The 'fruit juice' available on all inclusive is just insulting. It tastes just like strong squash with added sugar. Avoid! I was also disappointed that all the drinks are cheap brands, so no real Diet Coke on tap in fact. The one available was not bad, but again tasted suspiciously sugary so I did not 'disfrutar' the free drinks as much as I thought I would.

I would recommend the honey rum from the alcoholic drinks- this is very nice and I bought a bottle to take home. I mostly drank that, along with a bit of banana liqueur (btw servings are massive, even if you ask for a small one). Again, these are cheaper brands but that's to be expected. My boyfriend said the local lager, Tropical, is nice. I don't think any lager is nice so can't judge that myself. He ordered some of the inclusive 'cocktails' once and noted that they were poured from a tap, so I'd also recommend staying away from them. But honey rum= yum.

The service was varying. Most staff are friendly, and the maids all say 'hola' when you pass. (Amusingly I discovered that some Spanish guests even say 'hola' when you enter the lift or the toilet.) On a few occasions I wanted to buy something which was not on all-inclusive (real orange juice, real ice cream) the staff made a big deal of the fact that it would cost extra, as if it looked like I was going to steal them, despite wielding a purse. Seems as if a few can't be bothered giving a good service to all-inclusive guests but I didn't have any massive problems with this and eventually got what I needed!

The language situation in the hotel was a bit confusing. I can speak Spanish quite well, so try to do that when I'm in Spain, but here it seems that most staff (not only in the hotel but the whole of Playa del Ingles) insist on speaking in English or German, and seem annoyed if anyone tries to speak Spanish! After a while I stopped bothering with the Spanish for this reason. It's a bit embarrassing to try to conduct a conversation as a language competition. I'm sure they're just trying to be helpful but it gets very frustrating when I would like to be able to practice my Spanish, not have numbers shouted at me in German. If you want to chat to other guests, learn some Deutsch! I wonder if there's a resort in Germany which caters to Spanish guests? I'd be interested to visit such a place for the reverse experience. Or maybe I'll just not go to a place with 'English' in the name in future!

Regarding everything else: It's a very big hotel so involves a lot of walking/waiting for lifts to get to some rooms. Our room was good, nice view, well-equipped and clean. Good opportunity to enjoy some foreign TV, including Spanish Million Euro Drop. It got quite noisy one night, but I managed to sleep through it. There's no air-conditioning which I didn't find too bad in June when the temperatures aren't too high, but it would get a lot more uncomfortable if they reach the high thirties. Anyway, being too hot is a good excuse to enjoy the pool! We stuck to the one with jacuzzi and kids' pool and thought it was great. It was busy but not overcrowded, and water was a nice, cool temperature!

We only watched the entertainment on one night, when I held a huge snake on stage! Very exciting. The rest looked mildly amusing- Mamma Mia, We Will Rock You, karaoke, but we couldn't get a place to sit on the other nights we had a look. The shops in the hotel seemed a bit pointless- nothing useful such as waterproof mascara available, just a load of tat.

To conclude, if you love unlimited melon and booze, want a relaxing holiday around a nice pool and CBA speaking any Spanish, it's a great place to go!

Room Tip: Lower numbers are a long walk! (101, 201 etc.)
3  Thank parsonic
Reviewed July 1, 2011

Just returned from a week H/B @ the Buenaventura Hotel (21st - 28th June 2011).
Pros. Rooms OK Food OK. Location OK. Free Bus to beach, even if the last bus back is 15.45.
Cons. No Aircon anywhere in the hotel, well, the only aircon unit I noticed was in the lead up to reception and it was never on!!. Was given a choice of a "quiet" room or a room overlooking the entertainment pool ie. a "noisy" room ( 558) Took the one overlooking the "noisy" room figuring that it's ok for a little noise, we've been to Gran Canaria 7 times before and it won't be nothing we haven't seen or heard before. Wrong! Now bear in mind that the room had no aircon and the fact that it was 37 degrees for the first 2 days there and in the low 30's the rest of the time. We HAD to sleep with the balcony doors open for obvious reasons, only to be kept awake by the entertainment. Loud music and loud people. Should have gone to the quiet room you say? Well, yes, we did, the very next morning. Room 390 was our 2nd room, different block over looking a kiddies pool and lots of trees. OK great, settled now, quiet room overlooking a quiet area, great until the early hours when we were awoken by noisy 18-30 type drunken Germans partying in their rooms and shouting out into the night/early morning from their balconys. Called reception at 4, 5, 6.30ish to complain and fair enough they did send someone up and it quietened down. Next night same problem but different people throwing stuff into the kiddies pool from the 3rd floor. Nice. Can't comment on the main pool area other than to say that it was always overflowing with people (Germans) who were out early putting the towels on the beds in the prime positions and there is too many overgrown trees which quite simply get in the way !. For that reason we chose to go on the free bus to the beach and spend our days there. Food Hall was always full up and you had to Q to get in, even breakfast, and try to find a table, which fair enough we always seemed to do, eventually. Good choice of food tho they do cater more for the Germans, which is fine by me, its just it's a bit of a free for all, not quite pushing and shoving but there were so many people there on All Inclusive you were bound to get in the way of someone. You get a ticket at the food hall front desk and I think you are expected to buy a drink from the bar in the middle of the hall and pay on the way out. Poor man doing the drinks was always on his own, serving like 300 to 500 people, alone.
Con........ Safe in room you had to pay for. OK thats normal but we had to hire a fridge and a kettle which were not supplied. All in all we will go back to Gran Canaria and Playa Del Ingles but not to the IFA Buenaventura. Go to the Valentin Marieta for a nice little hotel with good food and, with one side of it, providing stunning sea views, albiet higher than the 3rd floor.

Room Tip: Can't help here, noisy whatever room we had.
1  Thank chelseashaun52
Reviewed June 27, 2011

Stayed at Buenaventura for a week and got home 2 days ago. We could not fault the hotel, it is constantly clean in the rooms, resturants and pool areas with friendly and very helpful hotel staff. There are alot of facilities at the hotel which we did not expect including a fully equiped gym with bicycle and rollerblade hire, hair salon, shops and english pub and 2 large swimming pools (one quite and one lively). The animation team are extremely friendly with entertainment running throughtout the day suitable for both kids and adults: mid-day cocktail game is a must! The evening entertainment was good but be warned if you have a room facing the lively pool at night there is music going on until midnight. Supermarket is about a 100 yard walk down the road for supplies but overall food in the hotel was very decent although slightly repetitive. Our only criticsm would be that there is no air conditioning in the hotel so the rooms and resturant are a a little hot but it is bearable, also there are a lot of germans at this hotel but it did not ruin our stay at all. Overall fantastic holiday and we would like to go back to this hotel again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the quiet pool
  • Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 26, 2011

We spent a great week at this hotel last summer. It was very nice. Big rooms, nice pools, a great entertaining team, good food. I want to underline the fact that one of the directors of this hotel, Alexander Gartner, is a great person, who talks very nice to you and resolve every problem you have. I recommand this hotel to anyone, with all my heart.

Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank andra_11
Reviewed June 19, 2011

I stayed at Ifa Buenaventura at the beginning of June and had a great time. The hotel was much better than I expected after having read some previous reviews. The hotel room was very spacious and the room was cleaned everyday. We were staying half-board and there was a good choice of food on offer, so even the most fussy eater would be able to find something to their taste.

The beach was only 10 minutes walk away, so there was no need to wait around for the free hotel shuttle bus and the Kasbah centre was only 5 minutes walk so there were plenty of bars to visit in the evening. However if you wanted to stay around the hotel, the hotel bars were good too. I would also recommend to take advantage of the happy hour from 4-5pm.

I would recommend this hotel to both families and couples of all ages and would gladly visit again.

1  Thank xxkesxx
Reviewed June 19, 2011

sorry for late review we have stayed in this hotel once and have booked again for september really nice hotel nice staff clean and friendly staff are busy all the time foods good not a big choice but whats on offer is good nice pools and the bar prices are excellent 2.5euros a pint not bad at all looking forward to returning ps lovely bar shenanagins facing hard rock corner of gumbo very friendly mad staff good fun pub games quiz karaoke brill nites have a gander

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple